Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    @Pierce2Daniel

who knows - perhaps 'SPECTRE' will be used in the song in some way shape or form...

for me personally, i don't care as long as the song is good - and if the title of the movie doesn't make it into the song, then i hope some of the film's iconography does (ie: You Know My Name)...

'SPECTRE' could work as a title - but maybe he just didn't feel comfortable trying to shoe horn it in - we don't know what his creative process was..
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    edited September 2015 Posts: 149
    Remember that one of the greatest Bond songs, Nobody Does It Better, isn't named after the accompanying film. I'll be pissed off, if the lyrics don't contain the word "Spectre", though. It's much easier to shove that in than "Moonraker" and they managed to do that...
    You Know My Name and Another Way To Die are exceptions for some reason (Although I think the alternate Bassey theme did use the word Quantum)
  • Also, correct if i'm wrong, doesn't "the writing's on the wall" mean that "something bad is likely to happen"?

"Writing's On The Wall"

19728837988_73bbbe1c50_o.png

Yeah, I thought of that.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @Pierce2Daniel

that is a funky song - i'll have to download it.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    00Ralf wrote: »
    Remember that one of the greatest Bond songs, Nobody Does It Better, isn't named after the accompanying film. I'll be pissed off, if the lyrics don't contain the word "Spectre", though. It's much easier to shove that in than "Moonraker" and they managed to do that...
    You Know My Name and Another Way To Die are exceptions for some reason (Although I think the alternate Bassey theme did use the word Quantum)

No Good About Goodbye by Bassey uses the word "Solace", but I don't think it has "Quantum" in it.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    NicNac wrote: »
    The excitement will be palpable, and on the 25th everyone will come on here to slag the song off and proclaim the end of civilisation as we know it. Can't wait.
    ;)

@NicNac

the reaction that some (or most) of the members of this forum will have when listening to the song... lol

2608111-8575747359-SCANN_zpsk6iazltf.gif

• 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    edited September 2015 Posts: 149
    From Wikipedia:

"The writing on the wall", or "the hand writing on the wall", or "the writing is on the wall" or "Mene Mene", is an idiom implying that there is evidence of an impending disaster. The event may be seen as difficult to avert. The expression refers originally to Chapter 5 of the Book of Daniel, in which a disembodied hand writes an enigmatic message on the palace wall of Babylon.

Book of Daniel? Did the Bond crew plan this link? Also, the palace wall of Babylon could be a metaphor of the old MI6 HQ. In the Bible the prophet Daniel is summoned to interpret the writing and explains that it means the imminent downfall of the Babylonian Kingdom. Intriguing.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    RC7 wrote: »
    FACEBOOK-SAM-SMITH_NO.LEGAL_.jpg

Can't wait. Although we'll have to, until the 25th!

Co-written by Sam Smith.

Title makes sense with the trailer,
    with Bonds name in graffiti on the memorial wall.
  • "Writing's On The Wall"

19728837988_73bbbe1c50_o.png

That's a smart find! Obviously, it refers to that then.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    I know zilch about this Smith bloke and couldn't name one single song by him (well, I couldn't until this morning!) Whilst I certainly don't like the look of him and the success he's had is nowadays a surefire guarantee that he most certainly won't by my cup of tea... I shall nevertheless reserve judgement until I actually hear the tune. However, even without hearing it, I think the likelihood that it "will surely be considered one of the greatest Bond songs of all time" is akin to the likelihood of 'Spectre' climaxing with a huge custard pie fight.
    Funny "Writings on the wall" was gag used in Goldeneye.
  • RC7RC7
    He wrote the song in 20 minutes. I wonder how long until @Shardlake puts his balls in a vice.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Sam Smith has a great voice, awful live but in the studio phenomenal. Not his biggest fan by any means but I will judge it on the song alone. Just like I did with Madonna :-O

P.S can we all start laughing about the guy who lost £20K on Radiohead.
  • So no Jonny Greenwood & Thom Yorke (Radiohead) then?
  • Good choice. Relieved as feared awful pop princess Ellie Goulding (tiny manufactured voice, zero talent) was a front runner. Phew. The title seems to say adieu James Bond, AKA Daniel Craig. Hmmm. Interesting.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I hate is voice so much... and now I have to wait until the 25th September before I can hear if they manage to do anything with it??!!

I'm going to be in a sulk for weeks!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    @CrabKey : You may want to change the title of this thread now, at least remove the question mark?
    I'm not really a fan of Sam Smith but that doesn't mean he can't turn out something seminal, though bashing it out in 20 minutes doesn't bode well. Maybe the writing IS on the wall for this song?
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,015
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    But for now, the duet rumor is debunked

Chris Evans says on his national radio show he knows the artist and it's not Radiohead : quickly forgotten

Paul Dunphy makes a tweet with all the rumours mixed in one big pudding, but do not talk about it on air : instant rumour that may be true.

Yes, it's no big deal to believe too easily in some rumours. But, amongst the crowd who fall for them a lot, there's quite a few who patronize other about how the entertainment industry "really works".

My Top 3 mistakes from "the Internet" about SPECTRE so far :

1) Lea Seydoux casting is an hoax ! I found it on a hoax website.
    2) The title will be an all-star singing & writing effort with all the rumours made true !
    3) The title won't be SPECTRE because the domain name is free.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Sam Smith has a great voice, awful live but in the studio phenomenal. Not his biggest fan by any means but I will judge it on the song alone. Just like I did with Madonna :-O

hey, pistoles is already embarrassed, no reason to remind him ;)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited September 2015 Posts: 3,157
    "It's the quickest I've ever written a song — it took 20 minutes... and they loved it!"

Shows how good it's going to be.
  • RC7RC7

He didn't put it on. He tried to put down 15k. Hence why if Panchito had read the article correctly he may have adjusted his staunch position.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    One thing [Sam] was happy to talk about though was his favourite Bond theme to-date, which is the ‘amazing’ Jack White and Alicia Keys’s Another Way To Die from Quantum Of Solace.

What the hell is wrong with this guy?
  • RC7 wrote: »
    He didn't put it on. He tried to put down 15k.
    Or he just typed 15000 instead of 150.00 on the webpage :) It was an online bet "attempt".

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    He didn't put it on. He tried to put down 15k.
    Or he just typed 15000 instead of 150.00 on the webpage :) It was an online bet "attempt".

Precisely.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    This guy can write a masterpiece in twenty minutes? Must be the right one for the job.
    Sam Smith is Blofeld and Radiohead are doing the theme Panchito =)) sorry could not resist.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    OK, so we know that this bloke Sammy will be doing the theme. The big question now is what that will mean for the song and the film.