The most ineffective henchman in a Bond film!

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Elvis, Mr Kil, Bullion or Largo s shark fodder.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited July 2015 Posts: 16,328
    Dr. No's spider? It should have just bit Bond's bits. Movie over. =))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Elvis from QOS. Anatole Taubman is Swiss as is Marc Foster. That's no coincidence.
    Elvis even speaks one Swiss-German sentence in QOS when he is on the phone.
    The vicarious embarrassment that probably everybody in Switzerland felt when seeing QOS was enormous.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Elvis is written as a wanna be or at least comes off that way so maybe by design he's an ineffective henchman ..I mean even Green has to aim his gun for him.

Not really sure what we mean by ineffective... technically they all died except maybe Jaws so they were pretty much all in effective.

Some just more memorable as characters.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Vargas had a part in torturing Paula did he not?
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Elvis is written as a wanna be or at least comes off that way so maybe by design he's an ineffective henchman ..I mean even Green has to aim his gun for him.

Not really sure what we mean by ineffective... technically they all died except maybe Jaws so they were pretty much all in effective.

Some just more memorable as characters.

I think Elvis was designed as ineffective too. I also think he was there to bring some benign bizarre element to a rather plain looking villain. Remind me of one of Hugo Drax's men in MR a bit.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Birdleson wrote: »
    You can die but still be effective. Patrice is the perfect example of that for the reasons I point out above.

Didn't mean for that comment to be taken that seriously... and yes I would agree with you.

I agree with @Ludovico as well. Elvis's demise kinda supports that interpretation.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited August 2015 Posts: 2,629
    The following henchpersons as less effective than Elvis:

Elvis would kick Red Grant's arse in a fight.

*Phew* (Takes another drag)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Elvis would kick Red Grant's arse in a fight.

*Phew* (Takes another drag)

Red Grant would laugh hysterically at Elvis' hairstyle thus giving an advantage to Elvis. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Those three losers in TWINE, while well suited to that mess of a film, are the standout ineffectives for me. I'm referring of course to Gabor and Bullion as well as the pathetic Davidov, who had the misfortune of being shot in cold blood and thrown in a dumpster. "Buried with work" indeed.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    bondjames wrote: »
    Those three losers in TWINE, while well suited to that mess of a film, are the standout ineffectives for me. I'm referring of course to Gabor and Bullion as well as the pathetic Davidov, who had the misfortune of being shot in cold blood and thrown in a dumpster. "Buried with work" indeed.

Davidov does get quite a good death scene though.

Who was the actor who played Gabor incidently? His acting quality matched wrestlers in WWE.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    We're forgetting Kra from TMWTGG aren't we?
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Who?

edited August 2015 Posts: 17,727
    Who?

The Maintenance Man.

http://jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/Kra
    Oh yes. I didn't know he had a name.

A case in point for his ineffectiveness as a henchman, surely?! He was really just there to fuel the fire for the tagged-on exploding base ending! :))
    At least Mr Kil had a badass name.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    As I've stated on other boards, Elvis was a homosexual. Check his look of adoration and attraction toward another Greene henchman, during the Tosca scene. It's quite obvious. (I am by no means suggesting his sexual preference is related to his ineffectiveness.)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    But he was a Hell of a man! You get the idea that he would have used Vargas and Elvis for toothpicks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the actor got turned down for the role of Shaft a few years earlier.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Vargas sure was the most ineffective henchman in the face of death - it took him almost 3 minutes to screw on the silencer on his gun, and was still screwing it on when Bond harpooned him!
    edited August 2015 Posts: 17,727
    Vargas sure was the most ineffective henchman in the face of death - it took him almost 3 minutes to screw on the silencer on his gun, and was still screwing it on when Bond harpooned him!

Perhaps it was threaded the wrong way? :))

Ironic, as the character Vargas in the novel is much more brutally effective. Largo even notes this to himself.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »

Gabor and Davidov would have been mentioned by me if I had remembered them. Not sure I do.
    One of the henchmen that makes me laugh is the guy from Zuvovski's security at the caviar factory in TWINE. The one Bond tells 'Get out! No no, through the back!'

A case in point for his ineffectiveness as a henchman, surely?! He was really just there to fuel the fire for the tagged-on exploding base ending! :))

And he got killed by Mary Goodnight.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    There is a degree of shame in that, but at least he actually had a purpose.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Does he actually qualify as a henchman or is he just a sleazy maintenance man? I don't remember him actually doing anything other than his appearance at the end.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Can this thread be merged with the Evil Appreciation thread?
    Does he actually qualify as a henchman or is he just a sleazy maintenance man? I don't remember him actually doing anything other than his appearance at the end.

That would still qualify him as henchman.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 172
    Always wished Hans from YOLT had more of a role. he did have a pretty good fight scene with Bond.