The most ineffective henchman in a Bond film!

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Elvis is also the most forgettable one by far. I didn't even remember him after the first one or two watches, and I tend to pride myself on memory. He just offers nothing to the film.

If QOS is a Swiss cheese, Elvis is the holes.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 5,185
    I always wondered why Greene would keep this guy around when he's obviously totally useless. The only explanation i can come up with is, that they're related in some way. Maybe Elvis is Greene's Brother or his half-retarded cousin. You can see in their final scene together that Greene has to point the gun for him, and Elivs looks like he is about to crap his pants. Totally useless. Maybe he was supposed to be some kind of comedic reliefe in QoS, but like with many other elements in the movie i can only assume what they were trying to accomplish actually.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Wow y'all are taking Elvis way too serious but you inadvertently nailed the intent of the character.

At least he's not JaJa Binks or whatever that thing was.

I agree though QoS could have wedged in a lethal henchman. Most of the film is just Craig beating the crap out of everyone until he gets to Greene ...which is still kinda baffling.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    They're cousins.

Here's a pretty solid interview on Elvis and why he is the way he is:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/05/16/elvis-rocks-bonds-world
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Wow y'all are taking Elvis way too serious but you inadvertently nailed the intent of the character.

I agree though QoS could have wedged in a lethal henchman. Most of the film is just Craig beating the crap out of everyone until he gets to Greene ...which is still kinda baffling.

To be fair you're right. The Jar Jar Binks of Bond would be Jinx.

Jar Jar Jinx if you will.

I don't really see the point of Elvis at all from Greene's POV. I guess that's why they invented all that back story about him being Greene's retarded cousin or something. After reading the script the actors had to come up with a reason why he would keep such a pointless moron around.
    The discussion about Elvis alone is proof that he made quite an impact :))
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »

To be fair you're right. The Jar Jar Binks of Bond would be Jinx.

Jar Jar Jinx if you will.

I don't really see the point of Elvis at all from Greene's POV. I guess that's why they invented all that back story about him being Greene's retarded cousin or something. After reading the script the actors had to come up with a reason why he would keep such a pointless moron around.

Lol ja ja jinx.... my phone even refuses to recognize jaja.. keeps trying to type haha
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

for all the wrong reasons

I thought the same thing. He's a lot of things but certainly not forgettable.
  • Elvis is the gold standard of ineffective henchmen. Hate him though you may, you can't forget him. Even though you may want to...
    Look at it this way folks:

There is a Bond movie that features Elvis! Which franchise can say that about itself! :))
  • There should be more!

From Elvis With Love
    GoldenElvis
    The Elvis Who Loved Me
    Live And Let Elvis
    A View To An Elvis

...I'm sorry, it's a rainy Saturday and my mood has gotten a little Elvisy...
    There should be more!

From Elvis With Love
    GoldenElvis
    The Elvis Who Loved Me
    Live And Let Elvis
    A View To An Elvis

...I'm sorry, it's a rainy Saturday and my mood has gotten a little Elvisy...

=))

you forgot ElvisRaker and Dr. Elvis, and of course Elvisball aka Thunderelvis.

But the most important and best is of course Elvispussy.
  • I think at the very least we should rename QoS as QoE.
    I think at the very least we should rename QoS as QoE.

Oh, that's brilliant by the way. It makes totally sense! I should have thought of that :P
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Someone mentioned Sandor and I agree pretty ineffective. One thing that always troubled me was why that woman would take a bullet for Bond. One kiss and she gives her life?? I know Sir Rog must have been quite the kisser but don't you think that's taking it too far? Sir Sean's Bond would have used her as a shield!

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    The scene is already similar to the one in the Goldfinger PTS where Bond sees the thug through the girls' eye. I don't think Moore was willing to use the woman as a shield, though, given how upset he was in having to slap Maud Adams in TMWTGG.
    Elvis, his hair piece is more threatening than Elvis.
  • That scene in TSWLM makes no sense. It isn't clear at all. Was she innocent or was she setting Bond up for Sandor? If she was innocent and Bond used her as a shield, Bond straight up murdered her. If she's working with Sandor, then why does she say 'NO' and give herself away?

The scene is also similar to TB during the dance with Fiona.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,984
    That scene in TSWLM makes no sense. It isn't clear at all. Was she innocent or was she setting Bond up for Sandor? If she was innocent and Bond used her as a shield, Bond straight up murdered her. If she's working with Sandor, then why does she say 'NO' and give herself away?

Bond didn't use her as a shield in TSWLM (only in GF) - it's pretty clear that she moved in the way of the bullet. As for why she would've done that, it's probable that Sandor had threatened her into setting Bond up to be killed, but after the kiss, she might've felt guilty or that it was wrong and moved in the way? It's not exactly the best writing, but that's how I'd imagine it.

In TB, it's pretty clear that Connery moved Fiona in the path of the bullet. You can tell from his face that he sees the gun and he's alarmed and has to do anything he can to save himself, then it's clearly him jerking Fiona into the path of the bullet. Why the assassin didn't try to attack again, I'm not sure.
  • That scene in TSWLM makes no sense. It isn't clear at all. Was she innocent or was she setting Bond up for Sandor? If she was innocent and Bond used her as a shield, Bond straight up murdered her. If she's working with Sandor, then why does she say 'NO' and give herself away?

Bond didn't use her as a shield in TSWLM (only in GF) - it's pretty clear that she moved in the way of the bullet. As for why she would've done that, it's probable that Sandor had threatened her into setting Bond up to be killed, but after the kiss, she might've felt guilty or that it was wrong and moved in the way? It's not exactly the best writing, but that's how I'd imagine it.

In TB, it's pretty clear that Connery moved Fiona in the path of the bullet. You can tell from his face that he sees the gun and he's alarmed and has to do anything he can to save himself, then it's clearly him jerking Fiona into the path of the bullet. Why the assassin didn't try to attack again, I'm not sure.

Your explanation actually does make a little more sense. But if it was good writing an explanation wouldn't have been needed. Although I thought whilst watching that Bond moved her in the way of the bullet and I would suppose that others might come to that assumption as well.

In that case the TB and GF examples are more alike to each other than to TSWLM.
  • Oh and on the subject of Incompetent Henchmen I should say that Gabor is almost definitely the runner up to Elvis.

He doesn't kill anyone. He doesn't do anything. He is shot down by Bond without fight or contest. There is little to differentiate him from Elvis in that regard.
    @IncompetentHenchman

1. It's one of the restrictions of film making as compared to writing. You don't get to explain the background behind every scene, which means more is left to the imagination. I tend to think that the woman was basically contrasting the ugly thuggishness of Sandor to the calm, gentlemanly confidence of Bond, and of course she'd choose Bond after the kiss.

2. Yeah, they are. It's a distinctly Connery way of handling those sorts of situations - I love how ruthless and non-PC he is in disposing of women trying to set him up. I also love the one-liners that come afterwards ("Shocking, positively shocking" and "She's just dead" are among the best in the series).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Gabor did kill someone though. When Elektra reveals herself Gabor and some other henchmen Kill some pipeline works and M's bodyguards.
    Gabor looked like someone from WWF wrestling.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Gabor did kill someone though. When Elektra reveals herself Gabor and some other henchmen Kill some pipeline works and M's bodyguards.

OK, my bad. But his attempt to kill Bond didn't last a minute.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I
    That scene in TSWLM makes no sense. It isn't clear at all. Was she innocent or was she setting Bond up for Sandor? If she was innocent and Bond used her as a shield, Bond straight up murdered her. If she's working with Sandor, then why does she say 'NO' and give herself away?

The scene isn't clear at all, but I've always understood it that Felicca shouts "no!" which alerts Bond, who then uses her as a shield. However, it isn't clear on film whether he jerks her into his path or whether she moves herself.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Gabor looked like someone from WWF wrestling.

That kind of makes his failings worse.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I

The scene isn't clear at all, but I've always understood it that Felicca shouts "no!" which alerts Bond, who then uses her as a shield. However, it isn't clear on film whether he jerks her into his path or whether she moves herself.
    In TSWLM, I always thought Felecia decided to sacrifice herself for Bond, after experiencing first hand the power of his 'after dessert' kiss. At least that was my belief. I'll have to watch the film again to be sure.

Yes, in TB, Bond definitely moved Fiona into the path of the bullet.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,690
    I was thinking about about Elvis earlier today, wondering if there was anyone as useless as him. And then it struck me: Jean Reno in 'Godzilla' (1998). He serves absolutely no purpose apart asking for coffee and complaining about the quality of the american coffee they give him.