SPECTRE--last Craig-era film?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @Gustav_Graves, I think these articles are actually sourcing their information from the Sony leaks......it certainly seems plausible.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 725
    And I think we're feeding these useless rumours ourselves, by posting in here?

Off course I know it's all bullocks, about Craig quitting after "SPECTRE". But I do think it's time EON/MGM/Sony releases a clear statement about this bullocks. Then you can quit all these false rumours at an instant, and you have the focus again on the "normal" gossip: The contents of the actual film.

Strongly disagree with your first sentence. WE are not feeding these rumors, we are merely responding as Bond fans to the tons of speculation in the press and on the net that Craig will be replaced after SP. Google Spectre and it's almost all you get about the film. This site is hardly the source for all this junk.

I totally agree with the third sentence, as EON could end this growing press craziness in a snap, by simply releasing a clear, firm statement that Craig will be doing Bond 25. The excellent LA Times piece I linked to last week noted that this gossip in the press undermines the film. Add in the leaks, and it's destructive. Barbara's most recent comment when asked about Craig's future as Bond, was that Craig has an "open contract." which means absolutely zero. We don't know if Craig really wants out, is simply maneuvering for a better contract, or if there is a deeper chess game going on with EON and MGM's negotiations with a new studio.

So....why aren't they stopping all this replacement crap in the press? Is it because they can't? It is not good buzz.
    I still believe that advertising the last Bond film with Craig (whether it's Spectre, or Bond 25 or Bond 26) as the last Bond film with Craig would create good buzz. So if Spectre is Craig's last one and they already know that, I really do think they should announce that sometime before the premiere of the movie. This is the first time EVER that an era in the Bond franchise could have a proper conclusion.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    A proper conclusion? Have you read how SP ends? Also, Connery's last two official EoN movies announced them as being Connery's last and they both hardly were critical and BO behemoths.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    doubleoego wrote: »
    A proper conclusion? Have you read how SP ends? Also, Connery's last two official EoN movies announced them as being Connery's last and they both hardly were critical and BO behemoths.

Nope because not everyone wants the movie spoiled before watching it at the theatres, so please do everyone a favour and keep it for yourself.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Yes. People are impatient dicks.

Half of this forum (or some other percentages) know a few scripts of SPECTRE, and yet the other half still is quite spoiler-free, despite continuous taunt by claiming one have to be "stupid" to believe such and such things. I find it proves on the contrary that there's quite some discipline.

I'd rather say people have pink glasses frankly ; each time a piece of news could be thought as a bit negative, it's labelled gossip, hearsay, rumours, etc.. Even when Logan himself said publicly out of the blue he had had enough with writing for the movie industry, people kept on saying he was contracted to do B25, there was nothing wrong happening !
    RC7 wrote: »
    Yes. People are impatient dicks.

Half of this forum (or some other percentages) know a few scripts of SPECTRE, and yet the other half still is quite spoiler-free, despite continuous taunt by claiming one have to be "stupid" to believe such and such things. I find it proves on the contrary that there's quite some discipline.

I'd rather say people have pink glasses frankly ; each time a piece of news could be thought as a bit negative, it's labelled gossip, hearsay, rumours, etc.. Even when Logan himself said publicly out of the blue he had had enough with writing for the movie industry, people kept on saying he was contracted to do B25, there was nothing wrong happening !

I didn't think that and I was ok with Logan leaving. I think he is a rather limited scriptwriter and while I enjoy many of his movies, I always find him stronger with dialogues and characters than plot.
    Walecs wrote: »

Nope because not everyone wants the movie spoiled before watching it at the theatres, so please do everyone a favour and keep it for yourself.

I'm a considerate person enough to not spoil anything for anyone.
    :-bd
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    I didn't think that and I was ok with Logan leaving. I think he is a rather limited scriptwriter and while I enjoy many of his movies, I always find him stronger with dialogues and characters than plot.

Since I was the one here who wrote at the earliest stage about rumors with problems with Logan, I can tell you absolutely no one believed me (the usual suspects even proved me I knew nothing about the movie industry operates, and that includes the one here who thinks now that writing everywhere "Craig will leave" would be good buzz :) ). And even when Logan finally answered the rumours publicly by acknowledging he would stop writing scripts for Hollywood, that did not put an end to the "claims" everything was nice with the Bond scripts...

• edited June 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Colonel Sun is the one I believe here. Generally. He says, there ARE some voices about quitting, yes, that is so. But even he doesn't know, what will come out in the end.

Parachute always is more ego then knowledge and way too eager, to be the big honcho here.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,015
    If I wanted to be that, I'd let out quite a few major leaks. I think I was also amongst the very first to have been sent them as a matter of fact (read my profile and other threads at that time, it's funny now :) ) And sorry to have been right about Logan for instance. Do not hesitate next time when I say something that turns out to be totally wrong ! You may wait, though, I tend not to fabricate much it seems :)
    Ludovico wrote: »

Since I was the one here who wrote at the earliest stage about rumors with problems with Logan, I can tell you absolutely no one believed me (the usual suspects even proved me I knew nothing about the movie industry operates, and that includes the one here who thinks now that writing everywhere "Craig will leave" would be good buzz :) ). And even when Logan finally answered the rumours publicly by acknowledging he would stop writing scripts for Hollywood, that did not put an end to the "claims" everything was nice with the Bond scripts...

I don't know how much credit I gave to the rumor about Logan leaving, but I remember my reaction to the possibility: I did mention, and I think you can verify it, that I would be happy if his involvement was limited. I have no problem believing that a script written by Logan has problems and needs to be re-written by others. Like I said here and in other threads, Logan writes great lines, good, sometimes even great characters, but he muddles up plot.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 6,601
    If I wanted to be that, I'd let out quite a few major leaks. I think I was also amongst the very first to have been sent them as a matter of fact (read my profile and other threads at that time, it's funny now :) ) And sorry to have been right about Logan for instance. Do not hesitate next time when I say something that turns out to be totally wrong ! You may wait, though, I tend not to fabricate much it seems :)

If you let out major leaks, you would see the door slammed in your face, me thinks.
    Its not so much, WHAT you say, but about how much you want everybody to acknowledge you for it. It borders on desperate.

You wouldn't see that from the Colonel and I am sure, HE could really tell a bit.

End of story. :)
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 4,619
    even proved me I knew nothing about the movie industry operates,
    Nobody needs to prove that, you do it every day yourself. :)
    and that includes the one here who thinks now that writing everywhere "Craig will leave" would be good buzz
    It would depend on how it is announced and packaged. Craig leaving due to creative differences and dissatisfaction with the franchise = bad buzz. Craig leaving, because that has been the plan for a long time, and Spectre has always been envisioned as the conclusion of the Craig era = good buzz.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Parachute always is more ego then knowledge and way too eager, to be the big honcho here.
    Well said. The guy needs to dial it back.
  • I'm not picking sides in this argument, just making an aside. Adding an emoticon doesn't remove the sting of an insult. It's supposed to indicate "I'm kidding" or some such. As used here, there's no indication the posters are actually kidding.

I was just watching raiders of the lost arc and I realised Craig is the same age Harrison Ford was when he did last crusade and Ford could have done a good few more films after Crusade and looking at things from a perspective of age Craig can most certainly carry on after SP. Easily.
    I'm not picking sides in this argument, just making an aside. Adding an emoticon doesn't remove the sting of an insult. It's supposed to indicate "I'm kidding" or some such. As used here, there's no indication the posters are actually kidding.

My only excuse is that I was simply making fun of our favourite frenchman's constant use of said emoticon.
    I was just watching raiders of the lost arc and I realised Craig is the same age Harrison Ford was when he did last crusade and Ford could have done a good few more films after Crusade and looking at things from a perspective of age Craig can most certainly carry on after SP. Easily.
    I think the real issue isn't Craig's age, but Bond's age within the movies. In Skyfall he is already someone who is dangerously close to being too old for the job.
    Really? Didn't SF de-age him from what his age was established from CR? Anyway Craig has at least 2 movies left.
  • Wasn't it established that the teaser trailer showed Bond being born in 1971 (three years later than Daniel Craig)?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond being born in 1968 was never mentioned or hinted at in CR the film, only at the official website, the teaser showed his birth in 1971 true.

Fleming also de-aged Bond with a few years, from being born ca 1917 initially.
    Really? Didn't SF de-age him from what his age was established from CR? Anyway Craig has at least 2 movies left.
    What I am talking about is not how old exactly Bond is in Skyfall, but how one of the main themes of the movie is that he isn't a spring chicken anymore. He is someone very close to retirement.

Craig could easily play Bond for another 15 years, but it would't make much sense for Bond to go on for several missions after the events of Skyfall.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,727
    What I am talking about is not how old exactly Bond is in Skyfall, but how one of the main themes of the movie is that he isn't a spring chicken anymore. He is someone very close to retirement.

Which was an utterly stupid creative decision after QoS had just wrapped up Bond's 'initation' as a double-0 agent.
    Another drop of the ball by Babs I'm afraid.
    As I have said numerous times - she lacks good judgement & the creative talent to be calling the shots on her fathers' franchise.
    The point wasn't that he was too old...most of the film takes place after he's an agent at his peak at the start of the film. It's about him injured with 3 months of bad living and somewhat shaky motivation
    AceHole wrote: »
    Which was an utterly stupid creative decision after QoS had just wrapped up Bond's 'initation' as a double-0 agent. Another drop of the ball by Babs I'm afraid. As I have said numerous times - she lacks good judgement & the creative talent to be calling the shots on her fathers' franchise.

That may not have been a great creative decision on her part, but I trust her more than I would any other producer. She runs the franchise much better than her father ever had.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a stupid creative decision. It's the story that they wanted to tell, and it worked. One of the strengths of the franchise is that it has never been beholden to continuity between the films in expense of storytelling within each film. Even in the Craig era, where the films are unquestionably linked, they (Barbara Broccoli and Co.) are thinking of the film and the general audience more than whether or not it offends the sensibilities of the ultra-fans. How many people, aside from those here and on similar boards, actually noticed or cared how much time had passed between QUANTUM OF SOLACE and SKYFALL.
    That last sentence (Another drop of the ball by Babs I'm afraid.
    As I have said numerous times - she lacks good judgement & the creative talent to be calling the shots on her fathers' franchise
    ) makes no sense what so ever. Under her father, characters would know and then not know each other from one film to the next.

I beg to differ, I think it makes perfect sense.
    She hired two bond fans to write the scripts (instead of actual writers), utilizes utterly unsuitable directors like Lee Tamahori and Marc Forster, makes mostly bad calls regarding the title song (often cannot seem to put her foot down to get a coherent Bond song worked into the scores, for some reason) and has been unable to make her mind up about what direction she wants DC's bond to be going in.
    Frankly, the Bond franchise is alive and well despite Babs, not because of her. She should limit herself to being excec producer (ie. funding, representation and lobbying for the future of the series) and nothing else.
    Leave the creative decisions to someone who understands the subtleties of the franchise, Babs.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Germanlady wrote: »
    You wouldn't see that from the Colonel and I am sure, HE could really tell a bit.

I never said I had more than only rumours too about SPECTRE being said to be Craig's last from months ago. But I'll keep on defend by default the member who posted what he was told here, and who was then described as an obvious troll by people claiming to know how such an info would be handled in reality (and yet have never actually worked in the industry). Note that Colonel Sun never said the original poster was obviously a troll..

If you don't want to use me as an example, go back to the time where another member announced that the title would be SPECTRE, before the media ran the rumour too. And compare what happened. He was also "proven" to be a troll by the experts here. So, yes, some unknown guy who heard the news from someone else posted on some Internet forum and announced such a big secret before everyone else. It does happen. Now find me an example of someone bothering to do a complete hearsay fabrication and post on a forum. It's supposed to happen all the time if you believe some. Where are they ?

Look also at what happened when the first leaks about SPECTRE's script were posted on some forums. It's only when they could actually read the script themselves that some members believed it. Look at my profile to see funny comments... There are people who shout "Liar" a lot and who never learn from their mistakes.

I'll say again, Hollywood does not fear much from the hearsays on the Internet, because the truth won't be believed anyway. It's very, very different when one image is out though. That's why they control this very well, and let the rumors roll anyway. Even bothering to dismiss some rumour would bring credence to it actually. On the other hand, people bothering to fabricate stories would rather create fake images. And there, they have a motive : it will be quite a click bait for their websites.

Imagine some story about Waltz's character being some half man half robot for instance (I just made this up). Ok, what next, it'll be a rumour like "many others" (even though they are not that many others in the end...) ? Now imagine a nicely done fake image of Waltz with a bionic arm, looking like it was taken on the set of SPECTRE. Well I guess the website with the image will have quite a few thousands of clicks. That's where the real fabrication lies; not on some forum with text only info.

And then again, do you remember what happened when Marketto took the photo of Silva's blond hair on the London set, a secret at that time ?..

If it helps, I actually think the original poster with news that SP might be Craig's last, sounded legit to me. It read, from the way the report was worded and expressed, like he or she works in or is professionally connected to the film industry.
  • RC7RC7
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    If it helps, I actually think the original poster with news that SP might be Craig's last, sounded legit to me. It read, from the way the report was worded and expressed, like he or she works in or is professionally connected to the film industry.

I agree.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,115
    DELETED
  • And let's remember the original poster posted in the leaks thread, and therefore did not behave to have much attention from everyone. JW pasted the comment outside the leaks, and that's why it came out of the blue for many.