SPECTRE--last Craig-era film?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Preliminary discussions can only go so far when theres at least another 8-9 years before a new Bond arrives. Bond 25 will be released in 2018 most likely. Craig may do another one after that but I doubt it. Then your going to have a 4-6 year gap and unveil a new Bond. Your looking at 2022- 2023 IMO.

Precisely.

As for the tone of the films in the future, even EON does not know that yet IMO. A lot can happen in 3-4 years. You might have it where whoever follows Craig is not accepted (Dalton) and the series fizzles out a little.

I believe Nolan is going to direct either Bond 25 or reboot with a new Bond. Which might not be a bad idea.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Preliminary discussions can only go so far when theres at least another 8-9 years before a new Bond arrives. Bond 25 will be released in 2018 most likely. Craig may do another one after that but I doubt it. Then your going to have a 4-6 year gap and unveil a new Bond. Your looking at 2022- 2023 IMO.

Precisely.

I personally see B25 in 2017 and the next Bond (and Bond film) by 2019/2020 at the latest. This franchise (in this genre) is too competitive and lucrative for them to hold off any longer. The delay with SP was due to Mendes dicking around and the script problems.
    Interesting question. What if it's Warners for distribution and Nolan agrees to do his own Bond trilogy starting with Bond 25, and demands total control of casting. Craig could be out. It's a massive chess game. I hope SP is a big hit, and Craig does Bond 25, and that it follows the scenario @timmer wrote up on another thread, but I'm sure we won't know nothin until after SP opens.
    I dont think Mendes will return after Spectre but I wouldnt rule it out. I wouldnt be suprised if when Barbara met with Nolan it was to talk about him directing B25.
  • Strictly a hypothetical: if Nolan enters the picture to direct Bond 25, he's not a director for hire. He brings a posse with him, starting with his wife/producer Emma Thomas. Some fans think Nolan would give that all up to direct a Bond. I wouldn't go banco on that.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    No for Nolan. If some thought Mendes was pretentious, Imagine the script Nolan would try to write.
    I fear what Nolan would do to Bond to make it his Bond also, but I also fear MGM and EON's salivating at the possible BO figures if he committed to do a Bond trilogy. I hate to say this, but I think they would sacrifice Craig in Bond 25 to get Nolan, and Nolan will want his own Bond.
    I dont think EON would go as far to sacrifice Craig, but I think its interesting how they begged Mendes to do Spectre when he refused at first, clearly they werent happy with any other directors. The waited an extra year for Mendes.

They will go with Nolan before another Marc Forster type. I dont think Nolan would want all the creative control & decisions everyone thinks here either.
    It's Nolan were talking about here. When was the last time he directed a Film without writing the script?
    That would be terrible. It would stop being Bond and would become a Nolan m baby beyond everything we have seen so far, when a director makes it his own. And IMO not to the advantage of the franchise.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 16,328
    Germanlady wrote: »
    That would be terrible. It would stop being Bond and would become a Nolan m baby beyond everything we have seen so far, when a director makes it his own. And IMO not to the advantage of the franchise.

Exactly. It would be filled to the brim with angst and melodrama. Everyone would become cardboard cutouts while a boring bland themeless Hans Zimmer score brings the film lower even more. Bond will be a sissy, M will recite lines and lines of expository dialogue. Bond won't have sex or have any chemistry with Bond girls. All the fun of a James Bond movie all stripped away. Not a Bond movie I want to see.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    While I'm not exactly that bother if CN does a Bond film (I am a fan have been up to Inception).

The fact that some of you know exactly what kind of film he will deliver, he is a fan that much is clear from his films but I don't think you can assume like Nolan hater above Murdock what kind of film we will get.
    @Shardlake, I'm not a Nolan hater, but there are common elements I can pick up on his movies that I don't like and don't think suit Bond.
    @Murdock To be honest I like the first 2 Bat film, I found the third bloated and overlong. I also like Inception very much.

As for Nolan I'm much more of a fan of his smaller films, Memento for me is still one of the most audacious and original thrillers of the last 20 years and Prestige was not far behind. To me this is Nolan at his greatest and that film maker I'd have no problem making a Bond film but he seems to have turned into Mr Blockbuster both TDKR and Interstellar are by far his worst films.

Though I'll stand by The Dark Knight as not being topped in the blockbuster department since. I can imagine you can stand it but for me even with its flaws it leaves the majority of what came after far behind.

That being said I personally think Nolan helming Bond is a boat that left long ago and if and when Mendes passes the baton on it will be someone more close to his pedigree than someone like Nolan who has a huge amount of input into his films.

EON will definitely work with directors of stature again but ones that want control over all aspect I don't think so.

To me the zenith of blockbuster film making is still Jaws closely followed by Raider of The Lost Ark, now if they could make a Bond film approaching that quality (and none of them have) then we'd have a true best Bond ever.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited June 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Shardlake wrote: »
    @Murdock To be honest I like the first 2 Bat film, I found the third bloated and overlong. I also like Inception very much.

As for Nolan I'm much more of a fan of his smaller films, Memento for me is still one of the most audacious and original thrillers of the last 20 years and Prestige was not far behind. To me this is Nolan at his greatest and that film maker I'd have no problem making a Bond film but he seems to have turned into Mr Blockbuster both TDKR and Interstellar are by far his worst films.

Though I'll stand by The Dark Knight as not being topped in the blockbuster department since. I can imagine you can stand it but for me even with its flaws it leaves the majority of what came after far behind.

That being said I personally think Nolan helming Bond is a boat that left long ago and if and when Mendes passes the baton on it will be someone more close to his pedigree than someone like Nolan who has a huge amount of input into his films.

EON will definitely work with directors of stature again but ones that want control over all aspect I don't think so.

To me the zenith of blockbuster film making is still Jaws closely followed by Raider of The Lost Ark, now if they could make a Bond film approaching that quality (and none of them have) then we'd have a true best Bond ever.

Shardlake, they will never make films like Jaws closely followed by Raider of The Lost Ark anymore. CGI being cheaper than actually building stuff ruined the art of film making. Take Jaws Shaw, schneider and Dreyfuss they spent some much time in a confined space together with failing props and production going over budget that by the time they finished filming they were all throwing fists at eachother Shaw and Dreyfuss hated each other. All the angst and frustration spills on to the screen in Jaws. And some of the attitude they use when they clash on screen is real. Jaws is an incredibly shot film. Some of the camera work is incredible. It was well cast, it was fresh, it grips you but best of all if it comes on your TV you can never turn it off even if you have seen it 200 times. Its the same with Raiders and the Goonies audiences love being part of the adventure, thats why the pirates of the caribean films did so well.

Spectre will probably be the best filmed Bond Hoyte van Hoytema is Chris Nolans master of large screen scapes. This will be a visually stunning film, there is a great cast only the story can let it down.
    Spectre will probably be the best filmed Bond Hoyte van Hoytema is Chris Nolans master of large screen scapes. This will be a visually stunning film, there is a great cast only the story can let it down.

Why would you call Hoyte van Hoytema "Chris Nolan's master..." - they've done only one movie together. That did look great, yes, but why add Nolan's name here at all? Maybe they'll do more together, but who knows at this point.
    But I agree van Hoytema does beautiful work, and Spectre will surely look awesome.

Shardlake, they will never make films like Jaws closely followed by Raider of The Lost Ark anymore. CGI being cheaper than actually building stuff ruined the art of film making. Take Jaws Shaw, schneider and Dreyfuss they spent some much time in a confined space together with failing props and production going over budget that by the time they finished filming they were all throwing fists at eachother Shaw and Dreyfuss hated each other. All the angst and frustration spills on to the screen in Jaws. And some of the attitude they use when they clash on screen is real. Jaws is an incredibly shot film. Some of the camera work is incredible. It was well cast, it was fresh, it grips you but best of all if it comes on your TV you can never turn it off even if you have seen it 200 times. Its the same with Raiders and the Goonies audiences love being part of the adventure, thats why the pirates of the caribean films did so well.

To be honest Sir Hilary I was dreaming when I said that, I very much doubt in my lifetime I will see 2 blockbusters that great. I concur all what you say is what made Jaws the masterpiece it is. As for Raider it's paced to perfection and like Jaws has a great script, great performances and Spielberg at his pinnacle.

I'm sure SPECTRE will be one of the most stunning shot Bond films, loved Hoyt's work with Thomas Alfredsen more myself, couldn't care if I ever see Interstellar ever again.
    have him quit after Bond 25. Because I think after that (or maybe even before) he'd really start to show his age.

With the HD quality of Skyfall he looked every bit his 44 (and then some).

Absolutely right

uperduper wrote: »
    have him quit after Bond 25. Because I think after that (or maybe even before) he'd really start to show his age.

Absolutely right

Yes but, you must remember and this is well documented Daniel wanted to look rough in Skyfall it was part of the movie plot. He was significantly smaller in build, he actually made himself look worse for wear this is something he does wonderfully well Dream House is a great example.

If you look at the photos we are seeing of Dan in Spectre hes more in line with his weigth and build as QOS and he looks like he has not aged since QOS.

Dan's ageing very well. He can certainly do Bond for a number of years to come.
    uperduper wrote: »

Absolutely right

Yes but, you must remember and this is well documented Daniel wanted to look rough in Skyfall it was part of the movie plot. He was significantly smaller in build, he actually made himself look worse for wear this is something he does wonderfully well Dream House is a great example.

If you look at the photos we are seeing of Dan in Spectre hes more in line with his weigth and build as QOS and he looks like he has not aged since QOS.

Dan's ageing very well. He can certainly do Bond for a number of years to come.

I have to agree with this. I saw the first half of SF recently as it was on TV, and boy did DC look rough when he came back to London. Pronounced eye bags and everything. It had to be intentional, because it was pretty sad to watch, especially in high def. He cleaned up nicely after that though......

Goes to show what a good actor he is.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,727

Shardlake, they will never make films like Jaws closely followed by Raider of The Lost Ark anymore. CGI being cheaper than actually building stuff ruined the art of film making.

O/T but in line with the last few remarks:

I concur that we will indeed never see films like Jaws or Raiders again, but not so much because of CGI or the technology of filmmaking (Nolan’s movies have proved that practical FX still have a big future in cinema) – but because the demographic target audience has changed dramatically since then.

Summer blockbuster movies were once upon a time made for everybody - now they are squarely aimed at the 12 – 25yr old millennial crowd, who have grown up in the instant gratification society – constantly connected and with unlimited access to an online world where an ever present media (both ‘classic’ and social media) tells them what is fashionable. And what happens to fashions after a few months/years? They get discarded and are no longer relevant.
    Movies no longer need to stand the test of time – they just need to be ‘fashionable’, of the NOW. And studio’s cater to this, of course, because they are in the business of making money. Quality of output is a distant second or even third concern.

And back on topic – I think DC just about has one more film in him after SP, then it really will be time to pass the torch as I feel he has (almost) done everything he can with the role. I think it’s important that he work with a new director for his swan-song however, to go out with a ‘fresh’ bang, if you will.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This is a very good article, regarding Craig and his "imminent" successor definitely worth reading!

..."It’s a bit like eagerly planning your next trip while on a plane ride to the current one."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-spectre-james-bond-daniel-craig-damian-lewis-idris-elba-20150616-story.html
  • RC7RC7
    This is a very good article, regarding Craig and his "imminent" successor definitely worth reading!

..."It’s a bit like eagerly planning your next trip while on a plane ride to the current one."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-spectre-james-bond-daniel-craig-damian-lewis-idris-elba-20150616-story.html

Very good article. This particular line is spot on...

"The film-news beast these days is a hyper, ADD-addled thing, reflexively searching for what’s somewhere else rather than what’s right in front it."

I'd add 'fans' to that. Let's enjoy what we've got before it's gone.
    Tuulia wrote: »

Why would you call Hoyte van Hoytema "Chris Nolan's master..." - they've done only one movie together. That did look great, yes, but why add Nolan's name here at all? Maybe they'll do more together, but who knows at this point.
    But I agree van Hoytema does beautiful work, and Spectre will surely look awesome.

First let me start by saying Spectre will be Bond for Imax generation, Bond growing now is about how big visually you make the film.

Nolan spoke of Hoyte van Hoytema work prior to and on Interstella and Nolan's prior comments about how good Eon, Mendes are doing Bond at present so they don't need his help at present. I can not find the article but Nolan's comments were along the line of "he is the best proven Imax Cinematographer out there, he was my first choice"

Nolan
    "I love James Bond and I've talked with the producers over the years, but nothing's ever worked out,"

"They do a great job - they don't need me right now, and Sam [Mendes] is an extraordinary talent. I will absolutely be first in line to see the next Bond film as I have been for all of them."

I think one day Nolan and Hoyte van Hoytema will work again on a Bond film.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »

"The film-news beast these days is a hyper, ADD-addled thing, reflexively searching for what’s somewhere else rather than what’s right in front it."

That's not a film news-only thing..... That's our culture today. It is what it is and everyone has to work within that framework. It will only get more so thanks to further improving technology and our needs for 24 hr information to be satiated. As I said elsewhere, EON will have a time trying to keep the next Bond secret.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »

That's not a film news-only thing..... That's our culture today. It is what it is and everyone has to work within that framework. It will only get more so thanks to further improving technology and our needs for 24 hr information to be satiated. As I said elsewhere, EON will have a time trying to keep the next Bond secret.

Yes. People are impatient dicks.
    And I think we're feeding these useless rumours ourselves, by posting in here?

Off course I know it's all bullocks, about Craig quitting after "SPECTRE". But I do think it's time EON/MGM/Sony releases a clear statement about this bullocks. Then you can quit all these false rumours at an instant, and you have the focus again on the "normal" gossip: The contents of the actual film.
    bondjames wrote: »

Yes. People are impatient dicks.

Totally agree we live in a very impatient world its I want it now or I will complain!