Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

seven episodes to go, Im hopeless at keeping up with these things,
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I used to miss an episode of two myself in the past, but with all the
    On demand services, it's a lot easier to catch up these days.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - read the book when it first came out quite a few years ago. Loving this BBC drama, Marc Warren is most excellent, as are the rest of the cast. Brilliantly done, think I'm actually enjoying the TV version more than the book!
    Transporter: The series

It's not as good as the movies... However I really like it. It's a good action show.

So... Season 1. Check wiki for a proper order. There are multiple orders. I had to disregard the back of the bluray and follow the Dutch/Canadian season, otherwise characters appear and things happen and you are left going 'huh'? Who was she, how did he know here? It's important as there's an ongoing storyline through the whole of season one.

Apart from that little hiccup, I found the season pretty decent. So it isn't great writing, but the episodes do follow through for the most part. The acting is by no means second rate, the car action is fast paced and the fight scenes well choreographed. There's a certain amount of pointless 'better show some boobs' moments that make you cringe, but generally the nudity is contextual, and where you'd expect to see it. Come to think of it there is a particularly cringe worthy 'better not show boobs' moment, with an awkwardly places set of table decorations. (You'll know it when you see it). So it cuts both ways.

There are however two things that may distract you (1) the ongoing storyline (which is weak to say the least) and (2) the extraneous regular cast members that tend to not offer much at all.

But it's still a really enjoyable season.

Season 2, which I've started watching...

Forget Season 1. It's basically a reboot. All the annoying side-cast is gone, and the new co- lead, Kat, is great. And, there seems to be no ongoing storyline, just stand alone ep's.

Unfortunately, despite the fact all my complaints from Season 1 are gone, it' not actually better (to date).

For starters Chris Vance who plays Frank seems to have let himself go somewhat, and appears for want of a better description, 'old and tired'. Funnily enough, the ladies seem to have noticed this as well, as Frank doesn't pull half as much as in Season 1.

Secondly, the show has tried to turn itself into something more serious, and that seems to have affected the overall feel. Maybe the extra money they've spent on script and exotic locations (and a really good co-lead - she's worth mentioning again) has meant they couldn't afford a fight scene coordinator (or an ab-master).

Thirdly, Frank kills a lot more people in this season too, which seems to rub against the first series where he hardly picked a gun up at all, and if he did he shot them in the knees. It's all very un-Frank like.

I would have gladly given this series an 8 if Season two was progressing more positively, and I hope my rating doesn't slip when I finally catch up with the Second Season when I have time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have been curious about that, @Dalton12. But it hasn't been showed here in the UK, that i'm aware of. I will see if I can pick up a copy of the series from my usual R1 supplier (there's no R2 release on the horizon).
    Mission: Impossible - Season #1

Awesome show. Almost done with the first season. Martin Landau and Barbara Bain are both incredible in their roles. It's interesting to see how the stories for certain episodes were inspired by the Bond novels (I've seen similarities to both CR and OHMSS).
    Loved the original series, a real sense of style and some very clever plot lines, and of course the theme, just great TV
  • RC7RC7
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Yes, I thought Humans, was very good indeed. :)

It looked promising, but didn't do anything particularly different in that first episode for me. I'll give it time, though. Comparatively, 'Utopia' had me hooked in from episode one because it felt genuinely different.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think it's going to be a bit of a slow burner, so I'll stick with it for a few
    More episodes.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 6,432
    Parks and recreation Just come across this show on Amazon Prime, found the pilot quite funny.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Justified

Just finished season 6 last night as one of those in the UK who have done their best to seek this out, was buried in the TV schedules and then cancelled by said channel. I downloaded the last few and was most grateful that Sky Atlantic put the whole series in their box sets section including recently S6.

If this hadn't have happened I'm not sure how my Wife and I would have seen the final season to this great series. What can I say just perfect, this season encapsulated everything that was so great about Justified in the first place, the writing, the character interaction, it's wit and ability to cast, the cameos were inspired throughout this final season, be it Jake Busey (explosive) or Shea Whigham (poignant).

Never seen Sam Elliott play a bad guy before and he rose to the challenge. No it didn't quite grab the moment and get the viewing figures like some series but lets hope people can come to appreciate this under watched gem in the future.

Raylan and Boyd's final moment was a great way to end it, I'll miss you but you went out with great style.
  • I'll echo @Lancaster007 in stating my enjoyment of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell ,,,but I don't think the BBC adaptation is quite as good as the novel. The novel has a very subtle sense of humor that isn't quite duplicated in the live action version. The suspenseful stuff is quite effective though! Both the novel and the TV version are highly recommended here.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Just finished watching the first season of Under The Dome. Like the idea of it but, even though it was enjoyable, it didn't really grab my attention like I hoped it would. I'll carry on and watch season two and, hopefully, I'll enjoy it more.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I don't usually watch this but there's a show here in the UK called goggle box. This particular episode had people watching Skyfall and seeing their reactions to the movie was quite entertaining.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2015 Posts: 15,690
    I just finished the 4th season of 'The X Files'. This may be the best season yet. As they say, 'sh*t is about to get real!'
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,151
    Finished watching Season 2 of Under The Some. An improvement, I think, on the first season and kept me interested all the way through....
    I just finished the 4th season of 'The X Files'. This may be the best season yet. As they say, 'sh*t is about to get real!'

Working my way through an X Files rewatch myself when time lets me. Half way through season 3 at the moment. Loved The X Files, my favourite series of all time and the series that gave me my interest in Science Fiction.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Shark_0f_Largo this is the first time I watch X Files, and this is one of the most addictive shows I've ever seen!

@Shark_0f_Largo this is the first time I watch X Files, and this is one of the most addictive shows I've ever seen!

Fantastic. Glad you enjoy it. I love it myself, hence the rewatch. Looking forward to the new episodes being made currently.

Wayward Pines Three episodes in not going in the direction I thought it would, I'll stick with it despite my interest waining slightly. Typical of many recent American shows, the production values are very good.
    Re-watching The Wire. Without question, one of the greatest series ever. Each of the five seasons is a novel unto itself. Revisiting the series allows one to focus on plot details, motivations, etc. that weren't appreciated the first time through. Dominic West and Idris Elba are mesmerizing. Like a Dickens' novel, this series is packed with interesting supporting characters. A treat for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Admittedly, my first attempt ended after two episodes. Later I gave it another shot and watched again. By the time I got to the third episode I was hooked. Not that there's a thing wrong with the first two episodes, but these are characters you're meeting for the first time, and you're not sure if you want to spend time with them. Hang on, they're all worth spending time with. This is a complex series with very human characters, all of whom have warts. No choir boys here.
    The Brink Pilot. Starring Jack Black and Tim Robbin's, has potential and found some of the political satire quite amusing.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Re-watching The Wire. Without question, one of the greatest series ever. Each of the five seasons is a novel unto itself. Revisiting the series allows one to focus on plot details, motivations, etc. that weren't appreciated the first time through. Dominic West and Idris Elba are mesmerizing. Like a Dickens' novel, this series is packed with interesting supporting characters. A treat for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Admittedly, my first attempt ended after two episodes. Later I gave it another shot and watched again. By the time I got to the third episode I was hooked. Not that there's a thing wrong with the first two episodes, but these are characters you're meeting for the first time, and you're not sure if you want to spend time with them. Hang on, they're all worth spending time with. This is a complex series with very human characters, all of whom have warts. No choir boys here.

I bought the whole set about 4 yrs ago. I watched the first 3 episodes of season 1, could not for the life of me understand what all the fuss was about, and sold it for what I paid for it, with relief.

I was advised afterwards that I had made a terrible mistake, and should have continued watching it......it seemed a little too real for me, but maybe I'll buy the whole thing again now that it's on Blu and try to sit through it all. I feel like I'm missing out given all these positive comments I hear about this show.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames when I first saw 'The Wire', i also watched the first 3 episodes and stopped. It took me 3 tries to go beyond episode 3, and it really payed off. Tremendous show, went straight in my top 5 favorites.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. I must get it again on blu and give a try. I know I'm missing out. I haven't watched the Sopranos either and I'll have to get that entire boxset as well soon.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. I must get it again on blu and give a try. I know I'm missing out. I haven't watched the Sopranos either and I'll have to get that entire boxset as well soon.

I need to watch 'The Sopranos' too, I've only seen the first season, so I need to rewatch it and continue until the end. Season 1 is very, very good, so I can't wait to see the rest.
    David Attenborough meets Barack Obama.

Very interesting watch, it is a shame that their are not more World leaders prepared to discuss the future of the planet like this from someone like David Attenborough.
    Do we have any 90s kids here? I've been marathoning through Hey Arnold after buying the complete series from Walmart.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Penny Dreadful

While I enjoyed season 1 (any chance to see Dalton on the screen and as a great character is always a joy and of course Eva is simply brilliant as Vanessa Ives), it was missing something not sure but it definitely showed promise and the casting elsewhere was of a high quality. Who would of thought pretty boy Josh Hartnett could be so good as Ethan Chandler?

Simon Russell Beale simply delicious as Ferdinand Lyle, so I hoped season 2 would pick things up. I know Logan has his critics but he seems to have settled into his creation here very comfortably and the up swing in the quality is notable. This seasons arc has been far more compelling with Helen McCrory's Evelyn making a better big bad Also after Chandler's revelation at the end of S1 Logan has built rather effectively on this and not just used it as a gimmick.

Yes I know Kinnear's Bill Tanner isn't that magnetic and has had some to come to the conclusion he's not a good actor (clearly not seen much of his TV output) but his Monster who was effective in S1 becomes that much more of an important factor here and despite the show being full of gore and sex, it's the quieter moments where this excels especially his exchanges with Eva, they are brief but both actors make these scenes sing and Kinnear along with Green is heartbreaking. Patti Lupone's character and her part in Vanessa's development made for a nice change of pace with the Cut Wife
    segment.

This is a high quality product and reminded me of times as well as the Universal classics it takes inspiration from as well as unavoidably Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentleman, Bram Stokers Dracula but so much more richly cast (save Oldman & Waits).
    Also that hypnotic and stirring theme from Abel Korzeniowski, in fact his music more than echoes Wojciech Kilar's extraordinary score to Coppola's version.

Obviously the one thing you can't ignore is the Bond family involvement, Logan and Mendes of course but as well as Dalton & Green, Kinnear & McCrory and I've just discovered stuntman veteran and Bond legend Vic Armstrong is 2nd Unit director on 4 episodes. It's either a huge coincidence or Logan more likely likes to utilise the series he has had a significant input into.

This ends like many shows that it could be seen as a full stop but the success has guaranteed it a season 3. I can't say I'm disappointed, this shifted up a gear and the whole cast delivered (still not sure about Piper & Carney though)
    Her development after her transformation has played nicely with Frankenstein's and the creatures development but her involvement with Dorian Gray has been the weakest element although it comes down to where Logan takes this. Piper is fine enough but compared to Green she's not in the same class.

Logan left us with some tantalising prospects echoing sources of some of the characters he's incorporated into his story,
    Kinnear's Monster is left in a familiar place to those who know Shelley's story and Ethan Chandler's true identity uncovered by new edition this season, inquisitive detective Barnaby Rusk an excellent Douglas Hodge makes perfect sense considering the inspiration.
    Logan has also teased that he plans to add another famous literary creation to the show, with some on the net mentioning Dracula and Mads due to his contract disappointingly being up on the likely not returning Hannibal as a possibility although he's being touted for GOT by fans of that show. Though the more likely possibility is Dr Jekyll.
    Personally can't wait, this show on the strength of this season has shifted up the list as one of my most awaited returns of next year, a little comfort after the prospect of no Hannibal in 2016.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Do we have any 90s kids here? I've been marathoning through Hey Arnold after buying the complete series from Walmart.

I'm a fellow 90s kid. Used to love that series when I was younger.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2015 Posts: 40,454
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »

I'm a fellow 90s kid. Used to love that series when I was younger.

Me, too. I'm sure I've seen every episode of that show quite a few times.

I started watching 'Twin Peaks' and it's very unique and odd, but entertaining and addictive at the same time. I can't stop watching it, and I haven't gotten into a new show in a very long time now. The way the show is shaping up, it's not going to conclude with some major twist, unless they're pulling a fast one and trying to make the killer seem as obvious as it may be. Looking forward to how it ends, how the second season continues it, and the new season of it coming next year!

Speaking of shows that are returning after a very long time, would anyone recommend 'The X-Files', by any chance? All of the seasons are on Netflix and I may start this after I finish 'Twin Peaks.'