Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Do we have any 90s kids here? I've been marathoning through Hey Arnold after buying the complete series from Walmart.

I'm a fellow 90s kid. Used to love that series when I was younger.

Me, too. I'm sure I've seen every episode of that show quite a few times.

I started watching 'Twin Peaks' and it's very unique and odd, but entertaining and addictive at the same time. I can't stop watching it, and I haven't gotten into a new show in a very long time now. The way the show is shaping up, it's not going to conclude with some major twist, unless they're pulling a fast one and trying to make the killer seem as obvious as it may be. Looking forward to how it ends, how the second season continues it, and the new season of it coming next year!

Speaking of shows that are returning after a very long time, would anyone recommend 'The X-Files', by any chance? All of the seasons are on Netflix and I may start this after I finish 'Twin Peaks.'

That first season is pretty much TV perfection, this is when the medium changed for good, the idea of making TV cinematic and on par with the big screen hadn't really been approached before and Lynch & Frost changed all that.

Twin Peak is the godfather of modern TV and Collider did a list of the 20 most influential shows of all time recently and guess what TP wasn't in there but that over indulgent should have been put out of it's misery seasons before Lost was?

Go figure that's right some also ran was more influential than the show changed the face of television. Thinks that is a bold statement then look at what it was like before then, the likes of X-Files, Buffy, Soprano's & 24 all came in it's wake and shows keep echoing it's influence even now.

Yes as soon as the cat is out the bag it goes down hill fast but up until then it's bloody scary, hugely funny, brilliantly written and for the most part acted to a tee and far superior to JJ & Lindelof's meandering mess that took hours of my life to deliver damp wet disappointment of a conclusion.

I'm definitely one of those chomping at the bit for it's return although recent reports suggest it's 2017 not next year we'll see but it starts shooting in September. The fact Lynch is directing all 18 episodes and him and Frost are writing it fills me with hope this won't be a let down, especially the fact that a good percentage of the original cast are returning.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Speaking of shows that are returning after a very long time, would anyone recommend 'The X-Files', by any chance? All of the seasons are on Netflix and I may start this after I finish 'Twin Peaks.'

@Creasy47 you definitely should! I started watching X Files in late may, and I watched the first 3 seasons in about 6 days. I'm at season 5 now. After only 4 episodes of season 1 this was already one of the most addictive shows I've ever seen.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Shardlake, so season two isn't as good as the first, you'd say? I wonder if the finale reveals who the killer is, how they manage to continue the show. Time will tell for me!

@DaltonCraig007, you've never let me down before, so I'll check this out once 'Twin Peaks' is done! :)
    @Shardlake, so season two isn't as good as the first, you'd say? I wonder if the finale reveals who the killer is, how they manage to continue the show. Time will tell for me!

@DaltonCraig007, you've never let me down before, so I'll check this out once 'Twin Peaks' is done! :)

I don't want to ruin it for you but about less than half way through if I remember rightly the original mystery is wrapped up, the show does kind of limp on until the last few episodes where it picks up ( a little too late for the network at the time) but the closer is one of the best episodes of any series, it's a complete change to what came before and echoes more of what is in the film prequel Fire Walk With Me that followed a few years later but it's pure Lynch and will stay with you long after it's finished.
    @Shardlake, I have to say that the ending to the third episode was one of the creepiest, wildest endings I've ever seen in television. It was about 1 AM when I caught it last night, and I shut my lights off right before it started. That's nightmare-level stuff right there.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,043
    Peak has moments that stay with you, if you are only 3 episodes in then there is plenty more to come, Donna, James & Madeline's moment in the living room after their song still sends chills up my spine even now when I was watching my Blu ray set recently, I need to carry on watching it but I've reached the moment where the quality drops so I'll have to discipline myself to get back on the horse again.

Bob is undoubtedly one of the most chilling creations ever.

Once the mystery is solved and the culprit revealed the show takes some time before it get back into gear again, a mistake I'm hoping the future Season 3 will not make but with the originators at the controls I think we are indeed going to get something special when it returns.
    I'm five or six episodes in to the first season now. Can't wait for the finale.
    The cliffhanger for Season 1 is one of the best in TV history.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Season 2 gets a lot of hate, but it's actually got some of the series best moments imho.

There's a lot of scary stuff in the early part of the 2nd season, although it meanders later, and then gets back on track for the final very disturbing ending.

Truly one of the great shows, when it's all said and done.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Season 2 gets a lot of hate, but it's actually got some of the series best moments imho.

There's a lot of scary stuff in the early part of the 2nd season, although it meanders later, and then gets back on track for the final very disturbing ending.

Truly one of the great shows, when it's all said and done.

Season 2 is great till we know who did it and all is revealed. That full length opening episode is so creepy but nothing tops the ending, the train car sequence still terrifies me and is utterly chilling.

It's when all the separate stories, Andy and Dick and the pine weasel nonsense, Windom Earle does bring things back into focus a bit but they wait too long for him to come along but as I said that finale still stands up today and is pure Lynch, something previous episodes are severely lacking.

Can't wait till it returns 2017.
    I just finished season one of 'Twin Peaks,' wasn't sure how it was going to end and it surely didn't disappoint. Looking forward to the events that'll take place now in season two!
    Series 3 Ripper Street.

Me and my better half have just watched the first 2 episodes of for us this much loved show. Really looking forward to enjoying the rest of the series.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @RogueAgent Ripper Street has been renewed for a 4th and 5th season! :-bd
    @RogueAgent Ripper Street has been renewed for a 4th and 5th season! :-bd

I was over the moon that another broadcaster took the show on! And to know we have another 2 series to look forward too in the future, makes me and my better half very happy indeed! :-bd
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited August 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Curb Your Enthusiasm with Larry David. I like this humour.
    Finished the Classic Third Doctor story "The Ambassadors of Death". A bit long (I swear, some of the classic stories were more padded than an Alexandre Dumas dialogue), but still great. Will watch the extras of "Inferno" tonight.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Ambassadors Of Death is the only 3rd Doctor story which I don't have. I think it all depends on the story. The 8 part Troughton story, The Invasion, never drags, imo. Yet, stories half that, feel like they take an age to sit through.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Moved to proper thread Last watched movie.
    15 years late, but I finally started watching CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM as Amazon has it streaming. Already gone through 2 seasons this week, can't believe with the number of times I've rewatched SEINFELD that I never once gave this a shot.

also got to see S3 of RIPPER STREET, which I just absolutely adore. It was enough to make me dig out my DVDs of the first 2 MI-5 (SPOOKS) eps.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. I must get it again on blu and give a try. I know I'm missing out. I haven't watched the Sopranos either and I'll have to get that entire boxset as well soon.

The thing with the blu-ray is that it is widescreen and the show was not shot with that in mind (and from what I've read, they didn't even do a lot of 'protecting' for the 16:9.)

I only saw THE WIRE for the first time around 2011, but since then I've seen the whole series three times and own it on DVD. Since the BR sounds like something of a side-grade rather than an upgrade, I think I'll stick with what I have (and yeah, I think it is one of the alltime best TV shows ever.)
    True Detective Season 2

Even taken on it's own without comparison to the brilliant 1st season True Detective S2 was a mixed bag. Yes it had some great performances particularly Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn but the plot seem to be all over the place and times resembled cliched cop drama with it's influences worn on it's sleeve.

Vaughn's obvious Tony Soprano lite character, then shades of Chinatown, LA Confidential and Heat. I wanted to watch this without referring to the brilliant first season that saw McConaughey and Harrelson utterly captivating but TD S2 was a former shadow of it's predecessor and I hope if we get more of this series a considerable more focus and originality is bought into the proceedings the next time round.
    Monday : the last two episodes of season 4 of "Death in Paradise". I regret Sara Martins' departure, but Josephine Jobert is a fine replacement (did you know she's Eva Green's cousin ? The Jobert family sure has some good genes)

Tuesday : "Secrets d'Histoire. This documentary series this time dealt with Madame de Sévigné.

Wednesday : the last two episodes of the second season of "Arrow". It sure ended with a bang.

Yesterday : one episode of "Bones" (a game changer, that episode), and "Who Do You Think You Are" (Jane Seymour is still as gorgeous as ever).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Really getting in to Dexter on Netflix, just finished season 2. :)
    @DrGorner, prepare for inevitable disappointment! ;)
    :D I have been told it does fall off a bit,
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    24: Live Another Day

Horrible title but besides that, great ninth season of 24!

I'm a 24 loyalist. I've watched all series - or "days" - exactly once. It never fails to make things tense and exciting. And kudos to Kiefer. Jack Bauer has become a pretty self-indulgent role, but I buy it time and again. He's the man.

This ninth season offers some major assets, at least for me. Not in the very least one of my favourite actors, Michael Wincott. Here's a man whom I love in everything I've ever seen him in. Then there's Benjamin Bratt, who for the first manages to make me enjoy his performance. Throw in Stephen Fry, and I'm hooked. One funny thing though... Colin Salmon plays an American but this show takes place in London. :) This I don't quite understand. ;-) O well.

I want more
    Twenty-four.
    @DrGorner, it falls off a lot. Once the showrunner left after the season four finale, it went straight downhill.
    @DarthDimi from what I last heard, they are rebooting 24 without Jack Bauer. A new agent will feature in season 10 and beyond.
    Hopefully as I've finished two, I have two good series to go, then
    after that I'll play it by ear. As Hannibal is also coming to an end.
    ( I do like my psycho killers) :D
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,488
    @DrGorner, the show only gets better and better up to season four. I knew season five wouldn't be that great because season four was near perfection, but it really is totally downhill after that. I gave up a few episodes into season six.

I actually read an article that listed 'Dexter' as having the most disappointing series finale in all of television history (based on reviews or votes or IMDB averages or something), but I would agree with that.