Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'True Detective' is an absolute must. It's a beautiful slow burner with so much backstory and tiny details to it, you'll crave a second go at it just as soon as you've finished the season finale. I loved 'Fargo' - thought the ending was a bit disappointing - but it was definitely a wild ride, and I'd have to go as far as saying as the series premiere of that show was the wildest premiere I've ever seen a show open up with. I haven't seen much of the others. 'House of Cards' is also fantastic, but while I wasn't a fan of season two and loved season three, most reviews seem to favor the opposite of that. If you want classics, definitely go with 'The Wire,' 'The Sopranos,' or 'Oz,' as those have received some of the best reviews out there for a television series, along with 'Breaking Bad.'

And, of course, my highest recommendation: 'Game of Thrones.' If you give it time and pay enough attention to learn who is who, the family lines and relations, the locales of Westeros and beyond, etc., then it could prove to be one of the greatest television viewing experiences you've ever had.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DaltonCraig007, I highly, highly recommend True Detective. Stunning visuals, stories, acting, the whole nine. Matthew McConaughey is beyond excellent, showing everyone all the talent that was hiding dormant during his stint as a rom-com leading man.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Alright, thanks @Creasy47, when I get the 'passion' to sit through a whole show I'll definitely start with 'True Detective'. But watching a whole show, for me, is very different to following an actor's filmography, because films can be so different from one another, so it's really fun, while watching a complete show means sticking with more or less the same thing for weeks, and I do like a change of tone from time to time! :D

EDIT: And thanks @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    @DaltonCraig007, if anything, you sit through the first season of 'True Detective' in one fell swoop in a day and then you haven't spread it out and wasted a few days. Though with that show, I really don't see someone like you hating it. Trust me, you should find the motivation to watch it, sit down around noon or so one day, and work through all the episodes from beginning to end. It's only eight hours long, and you just might like it enough to have no problem sitting through that. And please, post any and all opinions, good or bad, in the 'True Detective' thread if you do end up getting to it! There's only a few of us over there that ever really talk about the show, so having someone else join in would be great, especially just in time for season two!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 consider me 'reporting for duty' very soon!
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    bojack horseman

Would you recommend it? I read that a second (or third, I'm not sure, I don't follow the show) season is coming out soon, I've meant to check it out but it's never at the top of my list.

if you like family guy/archer then yes.

@valentinzukovsky, I'm a fan of both - moreso 'Archer' than 'Family Guy' - so it sounds like it's right up my alley, then.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DaltonCraig, True Detective will definitely keep changing on you. The show follows many years of the characters' lives and how they change from what they were, so new surprises are always on the horizon. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Graham Norton Show with George Clooney, Hugh Laurie, and Dwayne Johnson and more! Great entertainment as always!
    Last year, I binge watched the 8 seasons of '24', in preparation to watch the return of the show in 'Live Another Day'.

This time, my next mission will be to binge watch the whole 'The X Files' series! I am starting today, I will post updates as I go through this show I've never seen before! :-c
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Last year, I binge watched the 8 seasons of '24', in preparation to watch the return of the show in 'Live Another Day'.

This time, my next mission will be to binge watch the whole 'The X Files' series! I am starting today, I will post updates as I go through this show I've never seen before! :-c

You are in for a treat. Some episodes are just stupid, but hang in there, it is worth it.
    Thanks @Thunderfinger!

I've watched 3 episodes so far. I really like it. Mulder and Scully are fantastic, and the atmosphere is very particuliar. I only knew Duchovny from a few episodes of 'Californication' (another show on my watchlist). The special effects look very good for an early 1990's show. My main experience in sci-fi shows was 'Fringe' that I followed for a while, but X Files looks more promising already.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Finished my marathon of Scooby Doo: Where Are You? Still one of the best/my favorite cartoons of all time.
    I'm with you on that one @FoxRox. Can't go wrong with classic Scooby Doo! :-bd
    X Files update: I just finished episode 8 of the 1st season, 'Ice'. Absolutely brilliant episode, best one yet. This show is really great so far.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The Game (2014)

Apparently our American friends have already seen this but BBC2 started showing it 5 weeks ago here in the UK. My Wife and I have just tucked into the first 2 episodes and I'm impressed so far.

The Tinker Tailor comparisons are obvious, Brian Cox is obviously a Control copy and the 70's aesthetic rather brilliantly captured is reminiscent of Thomas Alfredson's superlative theatrical adaptation.

The brilliant Paul Ritter who seems to steal every scene he pops up in, adept at comedy (see the hilarious Friday Night Dinners) & drama (No Offense) is on top form here.
    It seems a pity his Guy Haines won't be returning to add more connection to QOS like Mr White but I digress.

The pace isn't a problem and no the plot is nothing new but a great cast and keeps you interested, looking forward to the next 4 episodes.

The one thing that did strike me was Tom Hughes, he's from Cheshire, he has the dramatic chops and the looks aren't a problem (according to my Wife) too young now but if DC does Bond 25 and maybe 26 he'll be around 36 - 37.

As long as he doesn't ascend too high and hangs around DC level of fame before becoming Bond I think he's a far more realistic choice, Aidan Turner I think is likely to be too big come DC's exit.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 6,432
    Just finished watching The Flash season 1, wow that was awesome ^:)^

Also just finished The Arrow season 3. Had some good episodes though did not hit the intensity of season 2 for me.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited June 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Just watched the latest episode of Game of Thrones...eeeeepppppppiiiiiiiccccc!

Jon Snow proved why he's such a badass...the white walkers....it was a massacre.

556bc21c378caf0d670e4d8c_come-at-me-crow-nights-king.gif
    Easily the best episode of Season 5 and one of the best of the series full stop. The best way I would characterise it is as Helms Deep meets the Waking Dead.

We are now completely off book and we've got the pivotal episode 9 to go, wonder what nastiness they've got saved up for that one.
    Graham Norton show! Chris Pratt was hilarious! :))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Easily the best episode of Season 5 and one of the best of the series full stop. The best way I would characterise it is as Helms Deep meets the Waking Dead.

We are now completely off book and we've got the pivotal episode 9 to go, wonder what nastiness they've got saved up for that one.

Yes! Helms deep meets the walking dead and world war z for that matter. It was insanely good. It's like this episode remembered how awesome the show is supposed to be. Episode 9 and 10 should be incredible but wow, this really surprised me.

doubleoego wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

Yes! Helms deep meets the walking dead and world war z for that matter. It was insanely good. It's like this episode remembered how awesome the show is supposed to be. Episode 9 and 10 should be incredible but wow, this really surprised me.

I'd have to agree while I still enjoy GOT it's been sometime since an episode has grabbed like this one. Hopefully the final 2 episodes will live up to it.

It's kind of fallen off my essential watching list, I still keep up to date with it within a day of broadcast. This episode reminds me what made me love it originally, great dialogue and character interaction, politics and of course rousing brutal action.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Get Smart
    Series:
    Episodes 1 - 3: Mr Big (Pilot), Diplomat's Daughter & School Days

I never finished my previous run through the box set, so i'm attempting it again. I will follow series 5 with Get Smart, Again (I don't own a copy of The Nude Bomb), and after that... yes, I will put myself though the mercifully short-lived Get Smart (1995).
    edited June 2015 Posts: 15,690
    I just finished season 1 of The X Files. Brilliant show, I can't wait to see what will happen next. Here are my favorite episodes of 1st season: 'Ice', 'Space', 'Fallen Angel', 'E.B.E.', 'Darkness Falls', 'The Erlenmeyer Flask'.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited June 2015 Posts: 45,489
    I need to get hold of that collection too at some point, @DaltonCraig007. You have much to look forward to.
    Death in Paradise the brilliant BBC detective series with Ben Miller stuck on a Caribbean island where he is part of the local police-force. And he makes a difference.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 6,432
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Death in Paradise the brilliant BBC detective series with Ben Miller stuck on a Caribbean island where he is part of the local police-force. And he makes a difference.
    I only got into this show during the previous season that aired earlier in the year, good escape at the time to the dull winter. Funny characters and always good guest stars, the setting being star of the show.

True Detective and Penny Dreadful Two episodes into both these 2 very good shows, got them on Sky demand. Gripped with True Detective superb actng and Penny Dreadful is not what I was expecting at all.

edited June 2015 Posts: 15,690
    I just finished season 2 of The X Files. This was one of the best seasons of any shows I've ever seen, almost all the episodes were epic. The end-of-season episode was total 200% edge-of-your-seat stuff.

This time I'm really making a break before the next season. But I'm really tempted to see what will happen next right away! :D What an addictive show.
    The Game

The final 2 episodes bought an exciting close to this series. This show has mostly echoed Tinker Tailor but the climax went a bit Bond and a little silly and far fetched but I'll forgive it and gladly sign up for a 2nd series. Great British cast that should hopefully return again, especially Paul Ritter who steals all his scenes.

Speaking about Bond, Brian Cox's Daddy even borrows some dialogue from Skyfall in the climatic sequence of the final episode. Tom Hughes cutting an impressive figure and showing more than a little Bondian feel that would make him a serious contender to replace Craig whenever he hangs up the PPK.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Just rewatched the first two seasons of Netflix's 'House of Cards' in anticipation for season 3 on Blu (release date in early July).

For those who've not watched this show, I highly recommend it. Basically a loose remake of the BBC House of Cards from the early 90's (itself adopted from a novel by Michael Dobbs), this one is executive produced by David Fincher and has his trademark classy style.

It's basically a story of the rise of Frank Underwood, played brilliantly by Kevin Spacey. A scheming politician who knows no limits, he's ruthless in coveting and holding onto power. Aided by his loyal and smart wife Claire (played by the lovely Robin Wright) the show takes us into the corridors of American politics, including Congress, the White house and lobbyists.

If you don't like politics then this might not be the show for you, but if you do, I guarantee you'll be impressed.

Barack Obama & Bill Clinton are fans and think it's a really good take on what goes on in US politics. Oh, and it has one of the best intro-theme tunes in tv history imho.

Next I'm onto a rewatch of season 1 of Ray Donovan, in anticipation of season 2 which I've just bought on Blu. Will report back when I've watched both seasons.
    netflix-house-of-cards.jpg
    I've finished season 3 of The X Files and saw the first 4 episodes of season 4. But I'm really getting an overdose of it so I'll take a few days' break from the show. The series keeps betting better and better, this is one of the most addictive shows I've ever seen.