Is there going to be a Cat in Spectre?

Comments

Ludovico wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    So this has pretty much effectively turned into a joke thread. But does anyone actually think there's a chance that a cat will show up in SPECTRE?

I seriously doubt it. The cat was an overused visual gimmick. Very neat one at first but overused. And now spoofed to death.

But they could dance around it a little and give it a wink, like Shaken or stirred/Do I look like I give a damn. Just have a cat briefly in one outdoor scene, like a market vendor in Morocco (I have no idea if such a scene exists) offering Blofeld a white cat, but he shoos him off, saying "I'm allergic".

Or use the cat for a fake-out. Have one of Blofeld's bald underlings carrying a cat everywhere.
    I guess they could but with the strong association with the parodies I doubt it will happen. My bet is that they'll stick with bald heads as red herrings.
    So this has pretty much effectively turned into a joke thread. But does anyone actually think there's a chance that a cat will show up in SPECTRE?

Probably not. Instead we will get another car through a construction site or Bond on a bobcat.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 3,169
    There was a white persian cat in the original script, which also had a character named "Irma Bunt". Both have since been removed.
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    Would have loved for SPECTRE to show Blofeld only briefly, face not visible and a white cat walking around. Just as a teaser, to set up SPECTRE in the new Bond universe and with Waltz playing some sort of Nr. 2.
    Would have loved for SPECTRE to show Blofeld only briefly, face not visible and a white cat walking around. Just as a teaser, to set up SPECTRE in the new Bond universe and with Waltz playing some sort of Nr. 2.

Then who would play Blofeld? It's not impossible that Waltz is not Blofeld but then they'd need one hell of a casting.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Let's not jump to conclusions, chaps. Watlz's character has a lot more to it than meets the eye, but I won't be spoiling anything here since it's against the page's policies.
    Let's not jump to conclusions, chaps. Watlz's character has a lot more to it than meets the eye, but I won't be spoiling anything here since it's against the page's policies.

Oh you tease!

No seriously, he may not be Blofeld, but then I seriously doubt anybody else is at the moment. Because you don't cast Waltz in a movie to have the main villain be played by Andrew Scott.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Oh you tease!

No seriously, he may not be Blofeld, but then I seriously doubt anybody else is at the moment. Because you don't cast Waltz in a movie to have the main villain be played by Andrew Scott.

Haha! Well said, sir! :D
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    There's always

57104815.jpg
  • Will_OnceWill_Once Surrey, England
    There was a DB5 in Skyfall. Complete with an the ejector button.

The new Q gives 007 a tracking device which was bigger than the one that the old Q gave him in Goldfinger.

The history is a fundamental part of a James Bond story. So I reckon there will be a sly pussy reference somewhere in Spectre. They might not go for the whole "stroking the cat on the lap" thing. That's been cliched out of existence. But I expect a clever cat reference somehow. A painting, a sculpture or an albino female assassin called Kitty.
  • CJBCJB
    Probably won't happen because of all the spoofs and parodies over the years.

Jokes have consequences.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I think Blofeld will be accompanied by a pet ferret. Much more in keeping with the times.
    No cat.
    I am 99% sure the cat will surface at the end of this film, sitting on Blofeld's lap. It's an iconic symbol, and one that I think they will stick with.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I'm not bothered either way as Blofeld never had a cat in the books. It is a pure (iconic) Eon creation.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I'm not bothered either way as Blofeld never had a cat in the books. It is a pure (iconic) Eon creation.

Yes a visual trick to keep the viewer attention on something.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Given he's such a talented actor and he's been spotted covered in CGI spots, I
    Wouldn't be surprised if Waltz, is not only playing the villain........ but the cat too. :))
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Given he's such a talented actor and he's been spotted covered in CGI spots, I
    Wouldn't be surprised if Waltz, is not only playing the villain........ but the cat too. :))

Knowing Waltz he'd probably play the cat French... in fluent Français :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Parfait :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I seriously doubt it. The cat was an overused visual gimmick. Very neat one at first but overused. And now spoofed to death.

You are always in doubt, but what do you say now?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The cat got his tongue.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

There was a gecko. Brofeld's pet perchance?
    The writhing's on the wall.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    5171837?$pdp-placeholder-desktop$
    Blofeld’s cat will play Bond in B26 confirmed.
    5171837?$pdp-placeholder-desktop$
    Blofeld’s cat will play Bond in B26 confirmed.

Very best duck and lice!

I was wrong. Not the first or last time. But it was used sparingly and I think very well.
    Agreed, I liked the scene.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 2,896
    I didn't. Like the eye scar it was a callback to the most campy and most parodied version of Blofeld. The series returning to such Austin Powers-style cliches was no better than a dog returning to its vomit.

Back in the FRWL days the cat was visually useful--since Blofeld's face couldn't be seen, the cat gave the audience something visually interesting to look at while Blofeld spoke. But in Spectre there was no need for this, plus Waltz's Blofeld was already too campy and didn't seem like much of a cat lover. The filmmakers did not even bother coming up with a twist on an old cliche--they merely superimposed it.

The filmmakers learned the wrong lesson from Skyfall, which worked in spite of its abundance of references to the past. Bond films should not call excessive, self-conscious attention to tropes older Bond films--they should stand on their own, just as the classic Bond films did.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 13,936
    But it was used sparingly and I think very well.
    Yep, they handled the cat well. The viewer seeing the cat through Bond's blurry eyes was a nice introduction, and then when it jumped up on his lap and turned to look at him was quite cute. A very nice looking cat there. I also like the look Blofeld gives Bond when he picks up the cat. Whether Bond's "Hello pussy" was a nod to GF is anyone's guess, but let's say it was.