SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

I hate to say it buy Im not sure it will do a billion. Hunger Games & Star Wars arent going to help but Skyfall got to the billion mark due to low competition IMO. The upped their game with SP because they have to.

Another thing SP will determine is how easy or hard will it be to make another billion dollar film. Was SF a fluke? we shall see.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I hate to say it buy Im not sure it will do a billion. Hunger Games & Star Wars arent going to help but Skyfall got to the billion mark due to low competition IMO. The upped their game with SP because they have to.

Another thing SP will determine is how easy or hard will it be to make another billion dollar film. Was SF a fluke? we shall see.

That's not entirely true. One week after "Skyfall", "Twilight: Breaking Down Part 2" premiered. And like "Hunger Games", also "Twilight" is a young adult novel adaptation. And don't forget the first "Hobbit" film in December 2012. Here it was actually the other way around: "Skyfall" in the long end did better than "The Hobbit".

On top of that, audiences are different between Bond on one hand and sci-fi franchises on the other hand.

"SF", like I said before, wasn't a fluke. It was in the making.
    By the way, I am curious why people think SP will not be such a success, scoring a box office haul between $800 and $950 Million...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    By the way, I am curious why people think SP will not be such a success, scoring a box office haul between $800 and $950 Million...

Who thinks that? It's a guaranteed success regardless of critical acclaim.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    SP will definitely cross $800million easily.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    SP will definitely cross $800million easily.

Go to previous page 17 of this thread. I also still think it will relatively easily cross the 1 Billion Dollar mark.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2015 Posts: 10,588
    SPECTRE has now jumped up 15 places this week on the IMDB movie-meter and is now in 3rd place, ahead of Star Wars, Avengers, and Mission Impossible. :)
    jake24 wrote: »
    SPECTRE has now jumped up 15 places this week on the IMDB movie-meter and is now in 3rd place, ahead of Star Wars, Avengers, and Mission Impossible. :)

"SPECTRE" is on no#10, not no#3. Where do you see that?
  • jake24 wrote: »

Yes. SPECTRE currently at number 3 on the IMDB meter. Star Wars EP 7 at number 49! and that Fast and Furious 7 film at number 1....

That's bizarre. It says 3 for me (in the little square with the number on SP's page).
    That's bizarre. It says 3 for me (in the little square with the number on SP's page).

i saw it at number 3 also. its still there at number 3...

Perhaps it has something to do with the region you're viewing it in.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Christoph Waltz would be a terrible choice. Don't get me wrong, he is a great actor but it's so cliche to cast him as the bad guy. Although he would be great in a small role as an ally of Bond...

I agree, Waltz as a baddie would be cliche.

How do we think about this several months into production of "SPECTRE" @SaintMark & @PanchitoPistoles :-P?
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,119
    @Gustav_Graves Ant-Man and Furious 7 have absolutely no chance of passing the 1 Billion dollar mark world-wide. As for where Spectre will end up by the end of the year: I predict that it will be at the 4th place in North America behind Avengers 2, SW VII and the last Hunger Games movie. World-wide it will be 3rd behind Avengers 2 and SW VII.

Actually, I was still working on my prediction @PanchitoPistoles ;-). I must agree with you on "Ant-Man". I changed it after your remark. But also when I think about previous new Marvel movies. They simply don't hit the 1 Billion Dollar anymore. Especially when it concerns the films focussed on a "single character". Public becomes slightly Marvel-tired. So I put "Ant-Man" in purple again.

"Hunger Games"? They kick off very well, but they don't show a lot of longevity. All three films so far haven't managed by far to hit the 1 Billion. Moreover, the 3rd isn't as succesful as the first two. And I have a feeling that public becomes a bit tired of spreading out one book over 2 films. Moreover, the franchise is not so much of a competitor to Bond. Just look at "The Twilight Saga" november 2012: It really did not prevent Bond in that same month to ramp up an incredible 1.1 Billion.

"Avengers 2" is a deadlock for first place I think. So is "Jurassic World". I'm not fan of these franchises, but they have incredible marketing on their sides. "SPECTRE" and "Star Wars 7" will maybe battle for 3rd place. "Hunger Games 4"? No TOP 5 for me at the end of the world wide box office road.

"Furious 7"? Do not forget, Paul Walker is dead. That fact, how sad it may sound, will help the franchise cashing even more than "Furious 6", which won $788,679,850 at the worldwide box office.

So far, my predictions seem to be quite OK :-). "Furious 7" did not have any chance of passing the $ 1 Billion @PanchitoPistoles ;-)? At this stage "Furious 7" most certainly joins a very elite group of non-sci-fi 2D-movies into that illustrious "1 Billion Dollar Club", together with:
    --> "The Dark Knight",
    --> "Bond 24: Skyfall",
    --> "Titanic" &
    --> "The Dark Knight Rises".
    And it could narrowly pass the $1.1 Billion from "Skyfall". Let's see how it goes.

It is telling though. It shows that the weak Euro isn't that much of a problem for a movie to actually pass the 1 Billion Dollar mark. Actually, it becomes more common. And as I said before, 2015 is an insane year crowded with tentpole blockbusters.

Also, I predicted that "Kingsman: The Secret Service" would narrowly pass the $500 Million mark globally. Now that's not going to happen, but it now will most certainly pass the $425 Million globally, thanks to a perfect first 10 days in China. "Kingsman" there is now at a whopping $54 Million after only 10 days!

Down below my predictions from last January:
    in blue --> The movies that will pass the $1.50 Billion Dollar mark
    in green --> The movies that will pass the $1.00 Billion Dollar mark
    in purple --> The movies that will pass the $750 Million Dollar mark
    in red --> The movies that will pass the $500 Million Dollar mark

The "Spy/Action" movies of 2015 ("SPECTRE" included):
    09.01.2015: "Taken 3" (action, thriller) --> with Liam Neeson, already very good reviews
    16.01.2015: "Blackhat" (espionage, thriller) --> with Chris Hemsworth
    13.02.2015: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (action, spy spoof) --> director Matthew Vaughn
    20.03.2015: "The Gunman" (espionage, thriller) --> with Javier Bardem
    03.04.2015: "Furious 7" (action, thriller) --> with the late Paul Walker
    22.05.2015: "Spy" (spy spoof) --> with Melissa McCarthy as Susan Cooper
    25.12.2015: "Mission: Impossible 5" (espionage, thriller) --> with Tom Cruise
    31.07.2015: "Grimsby" (spy spoof) --> with Sacha Baron Cohen, Mark Strong and Penélope Cruz (!)
    14.08.2015: "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." (espionage, action) --> directed by Guy Ritchie
    28.08.2015: "Hitman 2: Agent 47" (action, thriller) --> with Zachary Quinto
    02.10.2015: "London Has Fallen" (action, thriller) --> with Morgan Freeman
    16.10.2015: "Bridge Of Spies" (espionage, thriller) --> director Steven Spielberg
    06.11.2015: "Bond 24: SPECTRE" (espionage, thriller) --> directed by Sam Mendes
    12.11.2015: "Survivor" (espionage, thriller) --> with Pierce Brosnan, director James McTeigue

Yes. SPECTRE currently at number 3 on the IMDB meter. Star Wars EP 7 at number 49! and that Fast and Furious 7 film at number 1....

Perhaps it's updated later here? Or earlier? This is my IMDB-moviemeter as of 6th of April 2015, 9:03 PM CET:
    oWQ5Ys.jpg

By the way, you need to interpret this Movie Meter carefully. It really jumps up and down based on how much a particular movie has been in the news during one week. "SPECTRE" was also at 3rd place back in December, entirely due to the press presentation of the film the week before, on December 4th 2014.

Then there are also more quiet weeks and this can make a movie fall down like 10 to 20 spots. It's really quite a lot of liquidity on that list.

STILL, from all movies appearing much later this year, like "SPECTRE", "Hunger Games" and "Star Wars", "SPECTRE" is clearly the most well-known of it....so far.
    Here's a bit of info about SPECTRE's very big trailer debut, basically they're speculating that the early interest and reaction on social media looks like it will lead to a $100 million+ opening in the US:

http://pro.boxoffice.com/news/2015-04-06-twitter-futures-spectre-explodes-deadpool-makes-first-appearance
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Here's a bit of info about SPECTRE's very big trailer debut, basically they're speculating that the early interest and reaction on social media looks like it will lead to a $100 million+ opening in the US:

http://pro.boxoffice.com/news/2015-04-06-twitter-futures-spectre-explodes-deadpool-makes-first-appearance

Hey @Dinovelvet. I already saw the Twitter-tracking information. I'm following that closely. As well as this weekly Digital-Audience-Rating-update from Variety:
    http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/digital-audience-ratings-spectre-soars-southpaw-packs-a-punch-1201464269/

For me it wouldn't be a surprise at all if "SPECTRE" does a 3-digit figure in its opening weekend. Actually, I think it could surpass "Furious 7"s opening weekend of $143 Million.

I also thought beforehand that it was a stunning and perfect coup-d'état from the marketeers at Sony to premiere its first teaser trailer so damn early (for Bond standards) and attach it at the release of "Furious 7". Marvellous bit of marketing.

It's still very early days yet. And let's not forget "SPECTRE" doesn't appear in the TOP 10 of Facebook-tracking from boxoffice.com. But that's because there are too many Facebook-groups for Bond, and even two official Facebook pages: For "SPECTRE" and for "James Bond" in general.

BUT I do think another stunning box office figure is in the making....one that could surpass the already wunderful "Skyfall" box office figure....and that could leave even Bond fans stunned afterwards :-).

Perhaps it's updated later here? Or earlier? This is my IMDB-moviemeter as of 6th of April 2015, 9:03 PM CET:
    oWQ5Ys.jpg

By the way, you need to interpret this Movie Meter carefully. It really jumps up and down based on how much a particular movie has been in the news during one week. "SPECTRE" was also at 3rd place back in December, entirely due to the press presentation of the film the week before, on December 4th 2014.

Then there are also more quiet weeks and this can make a movie fall down like 10 to 20 spots. It's really quite a lot of liquidity on that list.

STILL, from all movies appearing much later this year, like "SPECTRE", "Hunger Games" and "Star Wars", "SPECTRE" is clearly the most well-known of it....so far.

I don't have full access to the imdb movie meter. It just show thats it at number 3 in the right hand corner when I click on the SPECTRE main IMDB page. I can't bring up the whole list because I don't have an IMDB account.

oWQ5Ys.jpg

I don't have full access to the imdb movie meter. It just show thats it at number 3 in the right hand corner when I click on the SPECTRE main IMDB page. I can't bring up the whole list because I don't have an IMDB account.

I see it now as well, via this link. This "IMDB-MovieMeter" includes TV-series as well and is featured on IMDB-Pro....the paid content of the free IMDB:
    http://www.imdb.com/chart/?ref_=ft_cht

On there "SPECTRE" is indeed no#3. But upon checking the "free" "IMDB-MovieMeter", which is excluding TV-series, I see "SPECTRE" at no#10:
    http://www.imdb.com/search/title?at=0&sort=moviemeter,asc&title_type=feature&year=2015,2015

Or is the latter link a more generic poll, that includes IMDB-MovieMeter-content? What do you think?

• edited April 2015 Posts: 7,653
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Christoph Waltz would be a terrible choice. Don't get me wrong, he is a great actor but it's so cliche to cast him as the bad guy. Although he would be great in a small role as an ally of Bond...

I agree, Waltz as a baddie would be cliche.

How do we think about this several months into production of "SPECTRE" @SaintMark & @PanchitoPistoles :-P?

I still think it will be less than any QT attempt and I am not even a fan of the mans work, even if I respect his body of work. An with SF I noticed that Mendes di not hire a half decent scriptwriter to make Waltz look cool. Like in SF casting an actor that did an unforgettable baddie and then not giving him enough to play with script-wise that is.

;)
  • That is a bit odd. Don't really know how IMBD are calculating these 2 different charts. Maybe the one where SPECTRE is number 3 is showing where it is currently and the other one where it is at 10 is based on its popularity over a certain period of time. So for example since Jan 1st its rated in 10th place of all searches on IMDB where INSURGENT is rated 1st. However at this particular time SP is rated 3rd in all searches and INSURGENT is currently rated 7th but overall is rated 1st within that certain time frame. Just a thought.
  • dinovelvet wrote: »
    According to wiki, Transcendence had some Chinese co-financing, and Johnny Depp did a promotional tour there, so that explains that a little bit.
    I did not give this example randomly. Box-office is also (some would say, mostly) a measurement of marketing.
    Upon checking the "free" "IMDB-MovieMeter", which is excluding TV-series, I see "SPECTRE" at no#2 now!!:
    http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=2015,2015&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc

And this "IMDB-MovieMeter", which includes TV-series as well as featured on IMDB-Pro (paid content) it's on no#3:
    http://www.imdb.com/chart/?ref_=ft_cht
    I think without a doubt Spectre will break a Billion and that was not considering the worldwide inclusion of the film being shown in IMAX too.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,119
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think without a doubt Spectre will break a Billion and that was not considering the worldwide inclusion of the film being shown in IMAX too.

Yes, I've been saying that for quite some time now. But still, there are other more sceptical Bond fans, who are convinced "SPECTRE" will stall at a "lacklustre" 900 Million globally.

"SPECTRE" will be aiming at bigger shock results in: China, USA, Mexico. But also expect "SPECTRE" to do big in Japan, South-Korea and the Euro-less United Kingdom.
    It all depends on marketing, critical success, and an overall good word of mouth. Hopefully SPECTRE has all of these things.

Yes, I've been saying that for quite some time now. But still, there are other more sceptical Bond fans, who are convinced "SPECTRE" will stall at a "lacklustre" 900 Million globally.

"SPECTRE" will be aiming at bigger shock results in: China, USA, Mexico. But also expect "SPECTRE" to do big in Japan, South-Korea and the Euro-less United Kingdom.

Most likely or a good possibility it could be the biggest money maker in the UK again as with Skyfall before it back in 2012?!
  • RC7RC7

Most likely or a good possibility it could be the biggest money maker in the UK again as with Skyfall before it back in 2012?!

Though SF wasn't up against Star Wars, and Star Wars will be MASSIVE. EP:1 made a bucketload, It's the 11th highest grossing of all time in the UK and of those eleven it's tenth oldest, only behind Titanic. To put it in perspective it still made more than TDK and Avengers, despite not being 3-D or IMAX.
    RC7 wrote: »

Though SF wasn't up against Star Wars, and Star Wars will be MASSIVE. EP:1 made a bucketload, It's the 11th highest grossing of all time in the UK and of those eleven it's tenth oldest, only behind Titanic. To put it in perspective it still made more than TDK and Avengers, despite not being 3-D or IMAX.

Seeing the prequel 3 and how they turned out? I would not like to hazard a guess what Disney will churn out? Will be interesting to see though?