SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• edited April 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Good news for "Kingsman: The Secret Service". It seems very good word-of-mouth is helping the film at the box office. Because of that it has strong holdover/longevity at the worldwide box office. The figures so far:

Domestic: $98,028,000 39.5%
    + Foreign: $150,315,000 60.5%
    = Worldwide: $248,343,000

More good Korean box office news from Deadline.com:
    Fox’s Kingsman: The Secret Service saw an incredible 86% jump over its opening weekend with an $8.86M take. The cume there is now $17.8M, making Korea the film’s 2nd best offshore market behind the UK. It’s also become the top R-rated import ever, bigger than all Bond and Bourne titles.

In expansions, Kingsman: The Secret Service, which is burning up the box office in Korea, will point its umbrella in the direction of Brazil before heading to Germany on March 12 and China on March 27. The dapper action/adventure pic currently has about $125M in overseas receipts and looks like it will pick up another $100M during its release.

So the R-rated film is greenlit in China for a March 27 release. My prediction of nearing the $500,000,000 mark worldwide is in contention :-). Fox will most certainly kick-off a franchise now... They have found it; They found their "Bond" ;-).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    A lot of people liked this movie very much. What seems to have offended some on this board has actually caught on with the Asian market. They do like more action and violence, and that is what Kingsman gave them.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    A lot of people liked this movie very much. What seems to have offended some on this board has actually caught on with the Asian market. They do like more action and violence, and that is what Kingsman gave them.

Absolutely @bondjames . For me personally it didn't matter that much. China has become a very interesting market though. Apparently they love pure sci-fi there as well. "Interstellar" and "Jupiter Ascending" are truly loved there. There's also a 2nd aspect.....and may sound a bit weird though but "everything that comes from The West is Best". The Chinese love European and American brands. From cars....to movies.

Regarding "Kingsman" I think this could happen:

-- $75 Million: China
    -- $50 Million: South-Korea (so far $25 Million)
    -- $28 Million: Brazil
    -- $24 Million: Mexico (so far $14 Million)
    -- $22 Million: Russia
    -- $18 Million: Germany

-- "Kingsman" will at least cash $178 Million more. Which puts it north of $425 Million worldwide. But China can be so crazy. I would not be surprised if it will go towards $95 Million in China (around $450 Million worldwide).
  • The foreign box office could have some problems with the Euro weakness, now in 1,05 $. Bond is big in countries as France, Germany or Netherlands and Italy and Spain are quite important markets, too.
    Interesting news for "SPECTRE". Since the release of the new teaser posters last week and further ongoing publicity (the "turtleneck"-hype), "SPECTRE" has risen 200% on the IMDB-Movie Meter. The list was updated today. It's now on 18th spot:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=2015,2015&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc

The only other film that's won't be premiering within now and the next 6 months, but is still in the TOP 20, is "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens". It's on 14th spot (down 11%). On 29th place we find "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2" (down 15%).

"Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" however, sunk 6% on the Moviemeter since the release of its trailer last Monday. It's now on 70th position. And it is followed very closely by Guy Ritchie's "The Man From UNCLE", which is on 72nd spot (up 2%)

"Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" will premiere on May 1st, and is now on 4th spot.

Although one should take the IMDB-Moviemeter with a grain of salt when one wants to make assumptions on upcoming success of these films, it does say something about keeping films high on people's minds. Having said that, the marketing/publicity efforts for "SPECTRE" are paying off. And expect "SPECTRE" to rise even further next week after the teaser trailer has been released.

Short overview:

04: "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" (premieres: May 1st)
    08: "Furious 7" (premieres: April 2nd)
    14: "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens" (premieres: December 25th)
    18: "SPECTRE" (premieres: November 6th)
    29: "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2" (premieres: November 20th)
    70: "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" (premieres: July 31st)
    72: "The Man From UNCLE" (premieres: August 14th)

Next IMDB-Moviemeter-update is on April 2nd.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Got a <a href="https://twitter.com/007">@007</a>; Bond question? We'll be on set to interview cast members soon. Ask away! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SPECTRE?src=hash">#SPECTRE</a>; <a href="http://t.co/qgWVemPRRP">pic.twitter.com/qgWVemPRRP</a></p>&mdash; IGN (@IGN) <a href=" 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

IGN are travelling to the SPECTRE set. Is this why @marketto007 is in Mexico? I'd imagine considering his clout EON may have asked him to come to Mexico and talk with the cast. It would also fit in with the Good Morning Britain story about being on set in Mexico.

I'm expecting a media blitz tomorrow and on Monday.

Oooowh yes, absolutely. Another brainwash-event :-P. A lovely brainwash-event that I will cherish off course! ;-).
    Good news for "Kingsman"! Apparently, as I already expected, "Kingsman" is on its way to score big in China. Entgroup China is expecting a $100 Million box office result over there, pushing it easily towards $400 Million globally! Fox Pictures did some pretty damn smart marketing in Asia:

http://english.entgroup.cn/views_detail.aspx?id=2982

Here's a TOP 10 of upcoming movies according to IMDB. The article/feature is called "Top 10 Upcoming Movies on IMDb MOVIEmeter". So it only includes real upcoming movies. Not those that are already in cinema. The list was made with Sunday March 29th updates included. So, it was AFTER the release of trailers for both "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" and "SPECTRE". James Bond "SPECTRE" now firmly on no#3: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls076237283/?ref_=hm_top_lk1#1

#01 in "upcoming movies TOP 10", #03 in real IMDB MOVIEmeter":
    "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" (Disney Pictures/Marvel)

#02 in "upcoming movies TOP 10", #07 in real IMDB MOVIEmeter":
    "Pixels" (Sony Pictures)

#03 in "upcoming movies TOP 10", #10 in real IMDB MOVIEmeter":
    "Bond 24: SPECTRE" (Sony Pictures/MGM/EON Productions)
    IMDB Comment: "No surprise here. The 007 universe continues its savvy move of rolling out vlogs in advance of trailer debuts to give fans an on-set look at the locations and stunts being dreamed up in order to maintain the franchise's commitment to upping the stakes with every release. And whoever thought of casting Dave Bautista is a prophet."
    I told ya guys ;-).

With the teaser trailer just released over the weekend, look for a MOVIEmeter jump this week.

#04 in "upcoming movies TOP 10", #14 in real IMDB MOVIEmeter":
    "Paper Towns" (20th Century Fox)

#05 in "upcoming movies TOP 10", #15 in real IMDB MOVIEmeter":
    "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens" (Disney Pictures/Lucasfilm)

#06 in "upcoming movies TOP 10", #16 in real IMDB MOVIEmeter":
    "The Longest Ride" (20th Century Fox)

#07 in "upcoming movies TOP 10", #18 in real IMDB MOVIEmeter":
    "Hotel Transylvania 2" (Sony Pictures)

#08 in "upcoming movies TOP 10", #23 in real IMDB MOVIEmeter":
    "Max" (First independent MGM Feature!)

#09 in "upcoming movies TOP 10", #25 in real IMDB MOVIEmeter":
    "The Transporter Refueled" (Canal+/RelativityMedia)

#10 in "upcoming movies TOP 10", #27 in real IMDB MOVIEmeter":
    "Jurassic World" (Amblin/Universal Pictures)

Not featured in the TOP 10 are:
    --> #37 IMDB MOVIEmeter: "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2" (Lionsgate)
    --> #46 IMDB MOVIEmeter: "Spy" (20th Century Fox)
    --> #78 IMDB MOVIEmeter: "Mission: Impossible - Rogie Nation" (Paramount/Skydance)
    --> #80 IMDB MOVIEmeter: "The Man From UNCLE" (Warner Brothers)

Some interesting things here. It seems Sony Pictures (3 films) and MGM (2 films, their 1st independent production "Max" included) can look forward to a very good year indeed. "Pixels" is already a movie to look out for. Its trailer release from two weeks ago certainly paid off.

And "SPECTRE", well, that film was always going to compete with the biggest ones ("Avengers 2", "Star Wars 7", "Furious 7"). And don't forget that the release date for "SPECTRE" is still far far away...Still, another +1 Billion Dollar movie is really in the making. I'm still sticking with my $1.2 Billion global box office prediction. China and USA will make that happen for sure this time, grossing totals that are quite magnificent.

On the downside, we see that "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" could not really gain from their trailer release last week. Is it telling? Is the Paramount publicity machine slightly rusty...slightly "panicky"? Interesting to see how "The Man From UNCLE" will hold up against "Rogue Nation".
    @Gustav_Graves Ant-Man and Furious 7 have absolutely no chance of passing the 1 Billion dollar mark world-wide. As for where Spectre will end up by the end of the year: I predict that it will be at the 4th place in North America behind Avengers 2, SW VII and the last Hunger Games movie. World-wide it will be 3rd behind Avengers 2 and SW VII.

Always take into account marketing possibilities. Just have a look at this article: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/furious-7-box-office-record-opening-115-million-1201463433/

I've always anticipated this. And make no mistake, "Furious 7" could pass the $1 Billion global box office mark as the first non-sci-fi, non-3D movie of the year 2015.
    http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-04-03-north-america-thursday-night-report-furious-7-races-to-huge-158m-off-the-line

Told you all. "Furious 7" will really kick off this year's box office craziness, being the first potential "1 Billion Dollar film". A $140 Million opening weekend in the US is absolutely insane. Obviously, the marketeers from Sony are watching this closely, as they also would love to see "SPECTRE" doing a $140 Million opening weekend.
    http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-04-03-north-america-thursday-night-report-furious-7-races-to-huge-158m-off-the-line

Told you all. "Furious 7" will really kick off this year's box office craziness, being the first potential "1 Billion Dollar film". A $140 Million opening weekend in the US is absolutely insane. Obviously, the marketeers from Sony are watching this closely, as they also would love to see "SPECTRE" doing a $140 Million opening weekend.

But do not underestimate the pull of this Post Walker movie, which they made the most of. The Dark Knight did get an extra boost as well because one of its leading men died.

• $150m opening for a Fast and Furious film is just insane. As with The Dark Knight this film has obviously gotten some kind of boost from the unfortunate death of one of its lead actors in this instance Paul Walker. It probably would have grossed over a $100m during its opening weekend either way based on the opening weekend of Furious 6. $150m plus is a big leap. Haven't seen a Furious film since the first one and have no interest in seeing number 7.
    SaintMark wrote: »

But do not underestimate the pull of this Post Walker movie, which they made the most of. The Dark Knight did get an extra boost as well because one of its leading men died.

Ooowh, but that's EXACTLY what I've been saying all along ;-). Although many others believed otherwise. I have it therefore consistently in my "potential 1 Billion Dollar" movie list.
    $150m opening for a Fast and Furious film is just insane. As with The Dark Knight this film has obviously gotten some kind of boost from the unfortunate death of one of its lead actors in this instance Paul Walker. It probably would have grossed over a $100m during its opening weekend either way based on the opening weekend of Furious 6. $150m plus is a big leap. Haven't seen a Furious film since the first one and have no interest in seeing number 7.

Just read some pages back (at the start of this topic). I am not thatt surprised it has this massive opening weekend. It'll now rank in the TOP 10 of best opening weekends ever:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

The big question now is, if it will have a strong holdover. Reviews seem to be quite good. Still, I don't think it will hold up as well as other fellow non-3D, non-scifi movies, like "The Dark Knight", "Skyfall" and "The Dark Knight Rises".

My guess therefore is that it could (narrowly) beat the $1 Billion Dollar mark globally. And make no mistake, this is a Chinese/US-co-production, so take in mind that Chinese distributors will help this movie in China.

All I can say at this stage: Guys, please watch it. It's a lot of fun :-)!
  • @Gustav_Graves the last fast and furious film made $788,679,850 world wide. There was no way the next one wasn't going to make a billion dollars. you are definately correct there. Either way the film looks terrible and won't be getting any money from me.
    @Gustav_Graves the last fast and furious film made $788,679,850 world wide. There was no way the next one wasn't going to make a billion dollars. you are definately correct there. Either way the film looks terrible and won't be getting any money from me.

It really isn't terrible. Trust me. Yes, it's more bad-ass, more "gangsta" than James Bond and Mission Impossible, but compared to all previous Furious-films, this is also the least "gangsta" one. It takes over a lot of things from James Bond, like the expensive party scene in that Abu Dhabi-skycraper, and it then slightly changes it in a style better suitable for the Furious-franchise.

The team chemistry is absolutely delightful and funny! Here it has learned from Mission Impossible. Kurt Russell is really great as "Mr Nobody", or....the "M" of the Furious-franchise. Tyrece Gibson is absolutely dumb and funny as Roman, especially when he's in conversation with Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges, who plays the smartest guy of the team, Tej.

The stunts are insane, absolutely not suitable for the next Bond-film "SPECTRE". But within the Furious-franchise they blend in perfectly with the rest of the film. Seeing Dwayne Johnson turning into the next Terminator with this gun, caused a lot of laughter in the cinema :-P:
    Furious-7-Dwayne-Johnson.jpg

And it has got a sense of family and drama. The end is quite original, and really quite intense emotionally. A wunderful send-off for Paul Walker. To summarize: A must-see for the people who're longing again for some "Die Another Day"-esque fun, but who don't want to see that in current day Bond-films anymore ;-). Must-see!
    It was a huge letdown.
    This was like a bad 90's B-movie, that had some big action scenes in it but never was catching my interest.
    But my 16-year-old self would have enjoyed it.
    I now realized that I'm too old for this kind of movie. It just bores me.
    The day Furious 7 crosses the 1 billion dollar mark worldwide, will the slow and painful death of cinema begin... 8->
    The day Furious 7 crosses the 1 billion dollar mark worldwide, will the slow and painful death of cinema begin... 8->

Until it's stopped by "SPECTRE", who will gross at least $200 Million more, adding to a total of $1.2 Billion wordlwide ;-).

Don't get me wrong, but if "SPECTRE" is already this popular around March/April.....then expect big stuff in November. Perhaps even more than $1.2 Billion.
    I dunno, I think making more than Skyfall at the box office is asking a bit much. I mean Skyfall was the highest grossing film of all time in the UK. Spectre would have to repeat that, and this time it has to go up against Star Wars. Anyway I was looking at release dates in the US and here's a hypothetical, way early analysis of its prospects. Of course there may be release date changes of other films which could affect things:

SPECTRE's road to $300 million+ US

Opening weekend Nov 6-8 : $104 million/135 for the week (Note - if reviews are SPECTACULAR it could go higher but I'm suspecting it is generally less well received critically than Skyfall. I think the 2nd trailer and how good the action looks will help to bring in a lot of casual fans)
    2nd weekend Nov 13-15 only new competition the horror film 'Rings' (Smart studios know to get out of Bond's way!) : -50% drop to $52 million, 60 for the week, $195 total
    3rd weekend Nov 20-22 Hunger games Mockingjay part 2 opens, its pre-Thanksgiving weekend, a lot of people who haven't seen it yet will wait for the holiday, so that plus the new competition = a drop of 60%, 21 mil/28 for the week = 223
    4th weekend, Thanksgiving holiday Wed-Sun, 4 new wide releases, a lot of competition, but no theater drops yet. 30 million for the week = 253
    5th weekend, 4-6 Dec, generally a weak weekend, $10 mil, $14 for the week = $267
    6th weekend, 11-13, 1 new release, In the heart of the sea, $9 mil/$12 = $279
    7th weekend : And here comes the pain. Star Wars dwarfs everything in sight. Spectre starts to lose some screens. $6/8 = $287
    8 : Its Christmas, 5 possibly 6 new releases, plus 2nd weekend of Star Wars. A bloodbath at the box office, Spectre loses 1000 screens, $4/6 = 293
    9. New years weekend, no new releases, so no theater drops, and people are going to the movies, 3/6 = 299
    10. 1st weekend of Jan, people stop going to the movies, crappy horror movies open, Spectre drops to about 600 screens and 2nd run theaters. From this point on, it picks up approx $10 mil to nudge past Skyfall's $304 mark. Sony can have their headline of Biggest Bond Ever...again, with a total of $311 million in the US.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    I dunno, I think making more than Skyfall at the box office is asking a bit much. I mean Skyfall was the highest grossing film of all time in the UK. Spectre would have to repeat that, and this time it has to go up against Star Wars. Anyway I was looking at release dates in the US and here's a hypothetical, way early analysis of its prospects. Of course there may be release date changes of other films which could affect things.

When it comes to a strong holdover, it is indeed up against "Star Wars". Especially if the holdover is even stronger than SF and it can manage to stay 2nd behind "Star Wars" when it premieres on December 18th.

Still, the "country mix" of "SPECTRE"s global box office gross could be slightly different than the one from "Skyfall". I have divided "Skyfall"s global box office gross into three different markets:
    "Skyfall", global box office result:
    --> $1,108,561,013 Billion:
    --> $304,360,277: USA
    --> $059,234,352: China
    --> $161,176,369: UK
    --> $009,927,335: Mexico
    --> $633,097,032: The rest
    Opening weekend "Skyfall" in the USA:
    --> $088,364,714

In order to get to $1.2 Billion globally, the above "country mix" needs to be substantially different. As you know, we are facing a weak Euro in Europe, but that doesn't immediately affect the UK box office gross. Still, I expect in countries like Germany, France and Netherlands, in which "Skyfall" did insane business back in 2012, the box office gross for "SPECTRE" will be lower. Perhaps substantially lower.

On the other hand Sony/MGM already wants to make bigger inroads in China and the USA (and Mexico). Sony's marketing/publicity machine is running on the belief that they can do better in the USA and China. Perhaps considerably better than comparable non-3D, non/semi-sci-fi franchise movies like "The Dark Knight"-trilogy, "The Fast And The Furious"-franchise (we see what's happening with "Furious 7"), the "Mission: Impossible"-franchise and the more serious/realistic installments of the Marvel-universe, like "Captain America: The Winter Soldier".

Let's see which of the above franchises did considerably better than "Skyfall" in the USA:
    ---> "The Dark Knight Rises" (2012), USA box office result:
    --> $448,139,099
    Its opening weekend in the USA:
    --> $160,887,295
    ---> "Furious 7" (2015), USA box office result:
    --> TBD
    --> $143,623,000
    ---> "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" (2014), USA box office result:
    --> $259,766,572
    --> $095,023,721
    ---> "Iron Man 3" (2013), USA box office result:
    --> $409,013,994
    --> $174,144,585

And let's see which of the above franchises did considerably better than "Skyfall" in China:
    ---> "Interstellar" (2014), China box office result:
    --> $121,990,000
    ---> "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" (2014), China box office result:
    --> $115,620,000
    ---> "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" (2011), China box office result:
    --> $101,232,739
    ---> "Fast & Furious 6" (2013), China box office result:
    --> $066,490,000

Then there are a set of aspects that are noteworthy to take into account
    --> The theatre count. Although many would say "Skyfall" did nothing wrong there back in 2012 in the USA, I actually think they did. Looking at the theatre count that "Skyfall" had in its first weeks, 3,505 theatres, it completely pales to all other movies in the TOP 50 of this list, which also shows theatre counts: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/ . Hence why the average gross per theatre was very high. Already back in 2012 "Skyfall" should have opened with at least 4,200 theatres. Now, expect Sony/MGM to make that happen for "SPECTRE" this year.
    --> Holdover. An aspect that is fully dependent on how the critics judge the film. But with big blockbusters the only thing that matters is a score of around 85% on Rotten Tomatoes ("Skyfall" scored 92%), to name an example. Good word of mouth will do the rest.
    --> Opening weekend. I expect this to be substantially higher in the USA. My guess at this stage would be a PLUS $125 Million opening weekend. With even better buzz, I wouldn't be surprised if it equals "Furious 7" box office opening weekend of $143 Million.
    --> Underestimation of "Skyfall"s impact on the USA. "Skyfall" did something unique to the franchise. It gathered and thus created a complete new breed of fans, that before "Skyfall" did not necessarily went to see a Bond film. Hence the extensive discussions we have about this film on here. Expect all those "new Bond fans" to re-appear in cinema with "SPECTRE".
    --> 2015 is a rather unique box office year. I haven't seen so many tentpole blockbusters in just one year. Ranging from "Star Wars" to "Bond", from "Avengers" to "Mission: Impossible", from "Hunger Games" to "Furious 7", from "Jurassic World" to "many other Disney productions. And let us not forget all the animated movies that are premiering this year. The net result of this all? All these event movies could fuel the awareness on a larger scale....and could fuel each other's awareness as well.
    --> "SPECTRE" at this stage already has more clearly definable, more memorable action sequences than "Skyfall", although the teaser trailer tends to deliberately siderail that fact :-). This could be the unique selling point for the Chinese, Korean and Mexican markets.
    --> The Mexican market. "Skyfall" underperformed there IMO. Especially when compared to installments from "The Dark Knight"-trilogy, the "Fast & Furious"-franchise, "Mission: Impossible" and "Captain America". As many people know, at a very last notice, Mexico was chosen as a location for the PTS in "SPECTRE". Make no mistake, SONY/MGM have rooted for that, for pure box office reasons. "Skyfall"s rather pale $9 Million there should be followed by a near $40 Million, which also happened with "The Dark Knight Rises" and "Furious 6".

Having said all this, and looking back at the box office breakdown for "Skyfall" on top of this post, I think the global box office breakdown for "SPECTRE" could look like this:
    "SPECTRE", global box office result:
    --> $1,200,000,000 Billion:
    --> $410,000,000: USA (higher than "Skyfall")
    --> $115,000,000: China (higher than "Skyfall", IF opening within 6 weeks of US)
    --> $130,000,000: UK (lower than "Skyfall")
    --> $040,000,000: Mexico (much higher than "Skyfall")
    --> $505,000,000: The rest (considerably lower than "Skyfall", due to Europe
    Opening weekend "SPECTRE" in the USA:
    --> $135,000,000 (lower than "Furious 7", but stronger holdover)
    Yeah obviously the take from Mexico should shoot way up for SPECTRE. I assume they'll have a premiere there as well?

And could the secret to improving in China be...a car chase? Need for speed(!) made $66 million in China (over 25% of its entire worldwide gross). Bigger action scenes than Skyfall, and an extended car chase are going to help it a lot over there.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Jj Abrams and his damned lens flares can suck it
    Yeah obviously the take from Mexico should shoot way up for SPECTRE. I assume they'll have a premiere there as well?

And could the secret to improving in China be...a car chase? Need for speed(!) made $66 million in China (over 25% of its entire worldwide gross). Bigger action scenes than Skyfall, and an extended car chase are going to help it a lot over there.

Let's not get that excited yet about China. First I hope we get a confirmation that "SPECTRE" will premiere before the end of the year in China, before December 31st. Then I am very optimistic.
  • RC7RC7
    Pleasing the Chinese audience seems akin to pleasing nursery level children.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Pleasing the Chinese audience seems akin to pleasing nursery level children.

I was actually quite happy that "Interestellar" did way better in China as expected. Especially compared to "western" markets. I liked this pure sci-fi/drama a lot. So did the Chinese. Not to mention "Inception".

But I understand you ;-). It is true that they are more focused on "dumb" action. Some exceptions included.

• Many people claim to know what the Chinese audience like because it is so foreign to most of us, that this way it's easy to sound like an expert.

But Transcendence did more there than in the US, for instance...
    Many people claim to know what the Chinese audience like because it is so foreign to most of us, that this way it's easy to sound like an expert.

According to wiki, Transcendence had some Chinese co-financing, and Johnny Depp did a promotional tour there, so that explains that a little bit. Did EON do any promotion for Skyfall in China? Probably need to get DC and the rest of the cast to put some face time in China if they want that $100 mil :)
    Good news for "Kingsman: The Secret Service". It seems very good word-of-mouth is helping the film at the box office. Because of that it has strong holdover/longevity at the worldwide box office. The figures so far:

Domestic: $98,028,000 39.5%
    + Foreign: $150,315,000 60.5%
    = Worldwide: $248,343,000

More good Korean box office news from Deadline.com:
    Fox’s Kingsman: The Secret Service saw an incredible 86% jump over its opening weekend with an $8.86M take. The cume there is now $17.8M, making Korea the film’s 2nd best offshore market behind the UK. It’s also become the top R-rated import ever, bigger than all Bond and Bourne titles.

In expansions, Kingsman: The Secret Service, which is burning up the box office in Korea, will point its umbrella in the direction of Brazil before heading to Germany on March 12 and China on March 27. The dapper action/adventure pic currently has about $125M in overseas receipts and looks like it will pick up another $100M during its release.

So the R-rated film is greenlit in China for a March 27 release. My prediction of nearing the $500,000,000 mark worldwide is in contention :-). Fox will most certainly kick-off a franchise now... They have found it; They found their "Bond" ;-).

Three weeks further, and "Kingsman: The Secret Service" opened big in China. It had an opening weekend of $24.3 Million during the timeframe 27/28/29 March. Also in Brazil and Germany "Kingsman" is doing perfect work. So, on March 11th the worldwide box office gross stood at: $248,343,000. Now these are the new box office results:

Domestic: $122,260,000 33.1%
    + Foreign: $247,519,000 66.9%
    = Worldwide: $369,779,000
    Many people claim to know what the Chinese audience like because it is so foreign to most of us, that this way it's easy to sound like an expert.

According to wiki, Transcendence had some Chinese co-financing, and Johnny Depp did a promotional tour there, so that explains that a little bit. Did EON do any promotion for Skyfall in China? Probably need to get DC and the rest of the cast to put some face time in China if they want that $100 mil :)

Indeed. More and more Hollywood productions co-produce with Chinese production companies now, to secure a good and relatively early premiere date in China. Universal Pictures teamed up with China Productions Ltd. for "Furious 7". And perhaps therefore "Furious 7" will already premiere there upcoming April 12th.

It kind of worries me though...that even Hollywood is more and more influenced by Chinese production companies. It secures success of blockbusters. But at what cost? Can those blockbusters be politically critical? And will they slowly kill off independent movie makers?