SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Most women I know prefer Broz. DC definitely has his fans, but not enough to guarantee Box Office.

Whaaaat? That's not my impression at all. Most of the girls at my work have the hots for DC. The $1.1m SF did definitely had something to do with him and there surely were a bunch of women in the theatre when I watched the movie.....all 3 times.

Nah, it was a combination of factors that all contributed to the Zeitgeisty success of SF. It wasn't simply women who liked DC. 50 Shades of Bullshit will be able to attribute 95% of it's BO to women, but not Bond. The Craig films bank money through more than just the star.

No doubt it was a combination of factors, and Bond is definitely not drawing the Twilight or 50 Shades crowd. However, I saw a lot of women in their late 20s into their 40s in the theatre when I saw all of the Craig films actually, and as I said, the women at my work love him. I think he's been a favourite of middle aged women ever since he did the beach shot for CR.

I've no doubt. I saw the same demographic during the Brosnan era.

No doubt. I just didn't realize there had been a drop off for Craig. I thought the female component increased ever since that swimming trunk shot, which is why they released another one like that in the pool in Shanghai as one of the earliest promo shots for SF. It certainly wasn't for us guys I don't think

I'm not sure, I'd have to see stats. My impression is that more men were drawn in by Craig than Brosnan.
  • I think Roger Moore was liked by even more women :-P.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Brosnan was more for the housewife soap audience.
  • Brosnan was more for the housewife soap audience.

LOL

:D
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The first behind the scenes video blog already has over 1 million views so far in the past week.
    jake24 wrote: »
    The first behind the scenes video blog already has over 1 million views so far in the past week.

Excellent stuff! Great build up to the release of the next one? And of course the release of the actual movie itself! :-bd
    Its hard to say, if its as good as SF. It will probably break 1bil.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 252
    Spectre pushed back 2 weeks (UK-Start Nov. 6) (many other countries one week later), so i think it's impossible to broke the Skyfall-numbers, because Mockingjay 2 starting on Nov. 18 everywhere
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks.

It will most likely be a better movie, but it will not break the SF numbers. I'm quite certain of that for reasons we have discussed at length here, and quite frankly I'm ok with that too.
  • RC7RC7
    and quite frankly I'm ok with that too.

Me too. Never been interested in the Box Office. The only way I'd be paying attention to it is if it was so bad it was going to put the series in jeopardy.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Spectre pushed back 2 weeks (UK-Start Nov. 6) (many other countries one week later), so i think it's impossible to broke the Skyfall-numbers, because Mockingjay 2 starting on Nov. 18 everywhere

Nothing has been pushed back. On December 4th, during the first photo call at Pinewood and the title release, it was communicated that "SPECTRE will premiere on November 6th 2015, USA and UK". For all those fans who doubt it, here are the articles:

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-24-spectre-title-announcement
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/?itemid=11600
    "SPECTRE begins principal photography on Monday, December 8, and is set for global release on November 6, 2015."

Also, as of today, the original UK premiere date of October 23rd is completely gone from the official 007-website. One more time, dear fans: It. Is. Deleted. Gone. Dead :-):
    http://www.007.com/bond24-announcement/

The confusion started to appear, due to lack of good and clear visibility and communication of the changes. But still, those official changes include the removal of the October 23rd UK date. The reason we're still talking about that old date, is because no one else on the internet is updating those badly communicated, though official release date changes. IMDB.com for instance.....

The exact reasons for the change? I don't know.

--> Perhaps the first has to do with the SonyLeaks. For instance, when the first reviews from the UK are slightly lacklustre, reviewers will instantly refer to the leaked draft screenplay as one of the causes. Then you can get bad word-of-mouth spreading from the UK to the USA. By opting for a "more global" release, everyone, every critic, needs to watch the film more or less at the same time....I guess.

--> Secondly, Bond has become bigger than big since "Skyfall" 1.1. Billion Dollar global box office. Off course the damaged Sony Pictures company wants to fully bet on the success of "SPECTRE". The same release date for both UK and USA is then slightly more logical. Just look at "Star Wars".
    Thanks.

It will most likely be a better movie, but it will not break the SF numbers. I'm quite certain of that for reasons we have discussed at length here, and quite frankly I'm ok with that too.

Let me put it differently. It's nice to see that you are convinced that it will not break the SF-numbers. I am OK if "SPECTRE" won't repeat the "SF"-numbers. But I'm also OK if it does break the "SF"-numbers. At this stage I think it is a bit too soon to confirm a fact like "will be lower than SF!" or "will be higher than SF!". A lot depends on the reviews.

The last "Hunger Games" movie? Totally not worried about that. Remember the "Twilight Saga" came out one week after "SF". Also a young-adult-adaptation. They are "fishing out of different pools".

One last thing. Call me a proud person. But apart from enjoying the film a lot, I also felt a separate kind of proudness about "SF" and what it did globally (buzz, box office, awards, etc.). Call it an after-effect, but at least no one in here will say "Ooowh, it was so stupid that SF scored a 1.1 Billion Dollar gross".....

It was good to have Bond back with a bang. Very loud, ear-deafening bangs ;-).
    The last "Hunger Games" movie? Totally not worried about that. Remember the "Twilight Saga" came out one week after "SF". Also a young-adult-adaptation. They are "fishing out of different pools".

Not so sure about that. I'll be seeing both, and I know a lot of people who will as well. But I wouldn't have been caught dead at a Twilight showing. I think The Hunger Games are slightly more attractive to an adult crowd than Twilight was (though not quite as popular with certain obsessive teenage fans, which is probably the reason why Twilight did a bit better at the box office). There is some overlap.

Having said that, I'm not worried either. First of all, it seems that movies don't necessarily cancel each other out these days. More people seem to go see the movies they want to see instead of going to the movies because it's Saturday and then picking one over the other. Secondly, you're right to a degree. While Mockingjay is appealing to at least a portion of the adult population, it doesn't have exactly the same target audience - just some overlap. So yeah, it'll do well with or without the Hunger Games out at the same time.

As for the 1.2 MIO Dollar margin - I hope so. I wouldn't be bothered if it didn't, but I'm with you on the proud-of-my-franchise ad big-bangs-rule front.
  • roko wrote: »

Not so sure about that. I'll be seeing both, and I know a lot of people who will as well. But I wouldn't have been caught dead at a Twilight showing. I think The Hunger Games are slightly more attractive to an adult crowd than Twilight was (though not quite as popular with certain obsessive teenage fans, which is probably the reason why Twilight did a bit better at the box office). There is some overlap.

Having said that, I'm not worried either. First of all, it seems that movies don't necessarily cancel each other out these days. More people seem to go see the movies they want to see instead of going to the movies because it's Saturday and then picking one over the other. Secondly, you're right to a degree. While Mockingjay is appealing to at least a portion of the adult population, it doesn't have exactly the same target audience - just some overlap. So yeah, it'll do well with or without the Hunger Games out at the same time.

As for the 1.2 MIO Dollar margin - I hope so. I wouldn't be bothered if it didn't, but I'm with you on the proud-of-my-franchise ad big-bangs-rule front.

Agreed. By the way, let me be clear. I wouldn't mind if it cashes, let's say, $975 Million. On the contrary. Then it only proves that others in here actually were right. And that could be the case. Looking at 2014, the TOP 3 of global box office results wasn't by far as big as the TOP 3 from 2012.
  • I'm pretty sure its going to make a billion. The only worrying thing is if it doesn't. Will it be considered a failure by the suits. As an example. THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN 2 made $708m worldwide and is considered a failure...enough to get it a complete overall. EVEN IF SP makes $700m worldwide it will still have made $114m more than QOS and $101m more than CR. I'm pretty confident at this point in the Bond franchise and with a number of growing international markets SP is at least going to get to $900m+ Was the Billion dollar mark last time around a one off? I hope not, only for the reason that the studio execs consider anything less the next time around a dissapointment.
    I'm pretty sure its going to make a billion. The only worrying thing is if it doesn't. Will it be considered a failure by the suits.

Yes, it will.
    Because it's production budget is $300 million. On top of that comes the marketing-budget. So in the end SONY will have spent at least $400 to $450 million.

And they will only get back between 1/3 and 1/2 of the worldwide box office, because the theatres will get the rest.
    So SPECTRE will have to do 1 billion for sure to break even.
    SONY/MGM/EON only will make a profit from it when it tops 1 billion.
  • RC7RC7
    To do a billion it's going to need brilliant reviews and word of mouth. The fan base isn't anywhere near the size of Marvel, SW, or Transformers, so as obvious as it sounds it needs to be an excellent bit of cinema if it wants to break that barrier again. If any whiff of this being under-par gains traction, I think it will struggle.

I do think it will break the UK opening weekend record held by 'Deathly Hallows 2' of $38m. SF did $32m. To go one better and break SF's own UK all time record it will really have to go some. SW will be looming on the horizon like a giant hand flipping the bird.
  • I'm pretty sure its going to make a billion. The only worrying thing is if it doesn't. Will it be considered a failure by the suits. As an example. THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN 2 made $708m worldwide and is considered a failure...enough to get it a complete overall. EVEN IF SP makes $700m worldwide it will still have made $114m more than QOS and $101m more than CR. I'm pretty confident at this point in the Bond franchise and with a number of growing international markets SP is at least going to get to $900m+ Was the Billion dollar mark last time around a one off? I hope not, only for the reason that the studio execs consider anything less the next time around a dissapointment.

Off e it won't be a failure if it, let's say, cashes $925 Million worldwide. Absolutely not. Yes, SF has become the new benchmark, but let's not forget what CR and QOS did to the worldwide box office. Those had pretty good results with both around $590 Million worldwide. And in comparison with that figure the production budgets of QOS and CR were in fact very huge.....if we talk about being certain for break-even result.

Looking at the current production and promotion of "SPECTRE", I can only guess that both Sony/MGM and EON Productions are heavily betting on another $1.1 Billion global box office result. My guess still is: $1.2 Billion. No#3 or No#4 movie behind "Star Wars 7", "Avengers 2" (and "Furious 7").
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 188
    I still wonder why it even needed a 300 Mio budget. SF looked positively lush with its 250 Mio Budget. And it can't all be actors' salaries either.
  • roko wrote: »
    I still wonder why it even needed a 300 Mio budget. SF looked positively lush with its 250 Mio Budget. And it can't all be actors' salaries either.

Based on the 1 video blog and the on set photos it already looks like its costing more than SF and there is so much more to come.

• edited February 2015 Posts: 1,021
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure its going to make a billion. The only worrying thing is if it doesn't. Will it be considered a failure by the suits.

Yes, it will.
    Because it's production budget is $300 million. On top of that comes the marketing-budget. So in the end SONY will have spent at least $400 to $450 million.

And they will only get back between 1/3 and 1/2 of the worldwide box office, because the theatres will get the rest.
    So SPECTRE will have to do 1 billion for sure to break even.
    SONY/MGM/EON only will make a profit from it when it tops 1 billion.

i agree completely. The more expensive the film the more it needs to get back to get into profit with cinemas worldwide taking a percentage of the gross. Also later on there will be revenue from TV sales, digital media, home video etc to help recoup the enormous costs. Also - how much does EON/MGM/SONY use of the promotional/product placement payments towards the actual budget. I believe that the product placements pay for a certain percentage of the budget. Craig himself said that they wouldn't be able to make these films with the budgets they have without the promotional help from the product placements.

here is an interesting article I found about product placement - they state that the entire $100m production budget of Brosnan's 2nd 007 adventure TND was paid entirely by product placement.

http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-blog/2010/05/product-placement-in-the-movies/

For some reason I think the title of the film as a lot to do with brining people in. Like the name Skyfall for a movie sounds very intreating and got people to see the film. Will the same thing happen for Spectre?
    My guess still is: $1.2 Billion. No#3 or No#4 movie behind "Star Wars 7", "Avengers 2" (and "Furious 7").

There is absolutely no way Spectre will make less money worldwide than Furious 7.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 252
    Yes, 850-930 is realistic for Furious 7, depends how big it is in China
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Yes, 850-930 is realistic for Furious 7, depends how big it is in China

I wouldn't go "Banco" on that :-S. I mean, the fact that the 1st trailer will most likely be attached to the "Furious 7" screenings says a lot. Also, the death of Paul Walker could result in some extra interest in the man and the franchise.

It is curious to see though, how non-fantasy, non-3D films have been doing great stuff at the box office lately. "Skyfall" and "The Dark Knight Rises", and now "American Sniper" and "Fifty Shades Of Grey".

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/feb/16/fifty-shades-of-grey-beats-avatar-with-248m-opening-weekend-box-office
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    3D is just a trendy money grab from my point of view. It was bound to die down after a while.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    3D is just a trendy money grab from my point of view. It was bound to die down after a while.

I agree ;-). So now we said that, what do you think will be the biggest non-fantasy, non-sci-fi, non-3D movie of 2015?

I agree ;-). So now we said that, what do you think will be the biggest non-fantasy, non-sci-fi, non-3D movie of 2015?

It will undoubtedly be from the same outfit that brought us the biggest non-fantasy, non-sci-fi, non-3D movie of 2012 imo. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    February is a historically shoddy month at the Box Office, but this is still interesting I guess in showing the emergence of the Chinese market.

http://www.slashfilm.com/chinese-box-office-overtakes-america/?China+Box+Office

Seems their top grosser borrows a Bond aesthetic, although he's not a spy.

man-from-macau-2-poster-732x1024.jpg
    February is a historically shoddy month at the Box Office, but this is still interesting I guess in showing the emergence of the Chinese market.

http://www.slashfilm.com/chinese-box-office-overtakes-america/?China+Box+Office

Seems their top grosser borrows a Bond aesthetic, although he's not a spy.

man-from-macau-2-poster-732x1024.jpg

That's very very interesting @RC7 :-P. Sjee, Bond is everywhere these days hehe. The Chinese market will be uttermost vital for "SPECTRE"s success at the global box office.

By the way, February is indeed usually quite a shoddy month for movies. But as I have already expected, February 2015 is slightly different:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4035&p=.htm
    February Box Office Up Nine Percent From Last Year

Through the end of February, total domestic box office was at $1.77 billion. That's 11 percent above the same period last year and 22 percent higher than the same frame in 2013. That year ultimately went on to be the biggest in history at $10.92 billion, which is a number that 2015 has a very strong chance of topping.

Kingsman: The Secret Service was February's final big hit: through 16 days in theaters, the R-rated spy movie had earned $82.6 million. Compared to previous President's Day comic book adaptations, it's on track to close between Daredevil's $102.5 million and Ghost Rider's $115.8 million. Add in strong international numbers, and this will probably wind up spawning a sequel.

Having said this, "Kingsman: The Secret Service" could still cross the $500 Million mark at the global box office......although it'll be a bit hard.