SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• edited April 2015 Posts: 2,015
    If this topic was about the financial part of the movies, then we would discuss the budget too. Along with the marketing budget. But instead, we only see some figures that the PR give to BoxOfficeMojo.

The leaks of Sony contained the insiders' estimation of the ROI of Skyfall and Spectre. Quite different from the PR, as you can imagine.
    If this topic was about the financial part of the movies, then we would discuss the budget too. Along with the marketing budget. But instead, we only see some figures that the PR give to BoxOfficeMojo.

The leaks of Sony contained the insiders' estimation of the ROI of Skyfall and Spectre. Quite different from the PR, as you can imagine.

I am a ranking junkie. I love it :-). That's my explanation. And predicting where "SPECTRE" will come in...in that ranking PLUS the final "score" or box office money....is for me damn exciting :-).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2015 Posts: 10,588
    My box office predictions for 2015:

Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens 2.2 billion

Avengers: Age of Ultron 1.9 billion

Furious 7 1.9 billion

SPECTRE 1.4 billion

Jurassic World 1.3 billion

Ant Man 1 billion

Terminator Genisys 975 million

The Hunger Games: Monkingjay - Part 2 950 million

Mad Max: Fury Road 950 million

Mission Impossible 5: Rogue Nation 750 million
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Really interesting article: http://chance.amstat.org/2014/04/james-bond/
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    ggl007 wrote: »

A very interesting article @ggl007. Thanks for posting.

It's intriguing to note that MR did not gross as much as TSWLM worldwide in constant $, despite having a budget of almost double, which will likely come as a surprise to many. Similarly, all the remaining PB Bond films were less profitable than GE, which is what I always suspected. They had to spend more and more money to get a weaker % return.

Both of the above facts likely led to the changes in tone that followed - e.g. FYEO was much more toned down compared to MR, and CR was a reboot after DAD. So decreasing profitability may have been as much a reason as any for the change in tone.

----
    Some other things that stood out for me are:
    1. QoS's relatively astronomical budget compared to CR - surprising especially since the film came out only 2 yrs later.
    2. The immense profitability of the early Connery films
    3. The precipitous drop off in box office gross between LALD & TMWTGG
    4. The fact that LALD grossed more than TSWLM in constant $.
    5. The absolutely horrendous gross of LTK

----

What I would be cautious with is the inflation adjustments. That is a very simplistic way of looking at changes in the price index over 50 odd years (using the US bureau of labour statistics inflation calculator) for the following reasons:
    1. the CPI varies tremendously between countries and yet they are only using US CPI data
    2. the CPI index is a broad average and does not necessarily reflect the changes in the price of movie tickets which do not necessarily move with the CPI %. As an example, there was a very disruptive OPEC 'oil price shock' around the time LALD came out. It's possible that ticket prices did not get adjusted with the CPI during this time, which may be negatively impacting TMWTGG's gross.
    3. the CPI index does not account for technological changes and the effect on movie prices (e.g 3D etc.)
    4. the CPI index does not reflect the variation in the pace of change in technology and ticket prices across countries and locations.
    5. the CPI may be more accurate for the budget (since it is likely priced in US $ and the CPI calculator is a US calculator) but not so relevant for the worldwide gross

Having said that, it is nearly impossible to properly account for price inflation over this long a period - so the inflation calculator used is probably as good as any - just take the numbers with a 'pinch of salt'. The more relevant comparison is between successive/consecutive movies (since ticket prices will likely not have varied so much during that time) and more importantly, the budget to worldwide gross ratio (or profitability) for each movie, since both #'s are from the same period.
    jake24 wrote: »

Furious 7 1.9 billion

SPECTRE 1.4 billion

Ant Man 1 billion

"Furious 7" will not reach the 1.9 Billion worldwide :-). Also "Ant-Man" still needs to prove itself, as it is a kick-off film for the Marvel-character, thuis not an established franchise yet. I'd say something like this:

--> $2.05 Billion: "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens"
    --> $1.55 Billion: "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron"
    --> $1.40 Billion: "Furious 7"
    --> $1.25 Billion: "SPECTRE"
    --> $1.15 Billion: "Minions"
    --> $1.10 Billion: "Jurassic World"
    --> $1.00 Billion: "The Hunger Games 4: Mockinjay Part 2"

The movie industry is already predicting that 2015 could eventually give us 6 films crossing the 1 Billion Dollar mark. I put a 7th in that list, albeit barely: "Hunger Games".
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Furious 7 1.9 billion

SPECTRE 1.4 billion

Ant Man 1 billion

Hahahaha you're dreaming.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    doubleoego wrote: »

Furious 7 1.9 billion

SPECTRE 1.4 billion

Ant Man 1 billion

About what? About SPECTRE? How much has Furious 7 made so far?

Furious 7 1.9 billion

SPECTRE 1.4 billion

Ant Man 1 billion

Yes, true. But although "Furious 7" is doing insane stuff right now, $1.9 Billion is 200% out of the question. I think $1.4 Billion is possible....at most.

Furious 7 1.9 billion

SPECTRE 1.4 billion

Ant Man 1 billion

Yes, true. But although "Furious 7" is doing insane stuff right now, $1.9 Billion is 200% out of the question. I think $1.4 Billion is possible....at most.
    I suppose you're right.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Big news from the box office weekend from "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron":
    http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-05-01-north-america-thursday-night-report-avengers-age-of-ultron

Whereas the first "Avengers"-film managed to have an incredible opening weekend of $207.44 Million, "Avengers 2" saw a sharp decline on Saturday, making the opening weekend accumulating to $187.66 Million.

It's still a massive figure though, though not as record-breaking as the first "Avengers". In a way the opening weekend comes closer to the $147.19 Million that "Furious 7" made.

And now it'll be a very interesting battle between "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" and "Furious 7". The latter now stands at a global box office total of $1,428,539,000, which comes very close to the 2012 "Avengers"; $1,518,594,910.
    Those figures make me think again, it was a mistake to wait till 15 to bring it out. They will compare one Bond to how many heroes together in one film and to a bunch of cars, doing one incredible stunt after the other etc. etc.
    No it wasn't a mistake. Bond is Bond, everyone knows the deal. Bond simply needs to be awesome, tell an gripping story, deliver on the action, stunts and fights, have great locations and women and engaging villains. Ideally, it would have been preferred if SP came out in 2014 if Mendes got his act together sooner and the script process wasn't such a mess but as it stands, with the way the movie is looking it has absolutely nothing to worry about. SP is going to be a massive hit irrespective of what superhero movies are doing. Your fear is misplaced and unwarranted.
    I very much hope, you are right. ;)
    Ok, working n having faith and not worry.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Those figures make me think again, it was a mistake to wait till 15 to bring it out. They will compare one Bond to how many heroes together in one film and to a bunch of cars, doing one incredible stunt after the other etc. etc.

I think with current budgets (think about hiring expensive cast members, like Christoph Waltz, and indeed big crew members like director Sam Mendes) and current sizes of productions it's nearly impossible to have a Bond film every two years.

It's similar to the late sixties as well. At one point the producers decided to produce one Bond film every two years instead of every year. For the most part because the leading actor became fed up with it.

And also, you can't compare the Marvel universe with the Bond films. Many fans tend to forget that this so called "Marvel Cinematic Universe" is build on several individual "character franchises" (I'm still quite baffled why no one in here is mentioning this):
    --> "franchise" Iron Man (three films)
    --> "franchise" Thor (two films)
    --> "franchise" Captain America (two films)
    --> "franchise" The Avengers (two films)
    And all these sub-franchises all have cast/crew listings that are completely different from one character-franchise to the other.

You can't expect the Bond producers to "fight" this @Germanlady. Simply because in its current state the Bond franchise stays unique as a "one character franchise". There were talks in the years after DAD to create a spin-off franchise based on the character Jinx. I'm glad they didn't do it, because ultimately it'll lead to saturation. It'll "steal" fans away from the original Bond franchise.

You can see it with the individual character franchises from Marvel. Yes, "The Avengers" is doing tremendously well, but on the expense of the "one-character franchises". Films like "Thor" and indeed the very good "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" could not gross $800 Million or more!

So therefore I say: I'm completely happy with one Bond film every three/four years. It has proven itself decade after decade. From the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" we STILL have to see if it can hold interest among the public in 5, 10 or....30 years from now. Buena Vista/Disney/Marvel are experiencing their own "Golden Age", that Bond experienced in the early 1960's. Just wait until that "Golden Age" starts to fade away....
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 6,601
    GG, if you read again, what I wrote, this is exactly the point I made. Avengers is a team film, each of which heroes wasn't able to make as much as SF on their own, (well apart from Iron Man) but..since when is fairness in the cards? If Spectre doesn't make more then SF and be close to those films, they will call DC an "done" Bond and ask for his head.
    This is what I am afraid of. Lets hope, the film delivers and the judgement is gonna be at least a bit fair regarding BO expectations. I know, its not impossible to do really well.

I need to work on my faith.... ;;)
    Those figures make me think again, it was a mistake to wait till 15 to bring it out.

I thought you said that Bond should not have waited until 2015 to come with a new film....and that "SPECTRE" should have begun production one year earlier....
    Yes, absolutely and this as reason why I think so

"They will compare one Bond to how many heroes together in one film and to a bunch of cars, doing one incredible stunt after the other etc. "
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2015 Posts: 23,883
    As long as Bond does not chase action box office, I'll be happy.

Just keep making good movies, and scale back the budget on action if need be as far as I'm concerned (CR had less than DAD and was a far, far superior film, as was SF) so as to maintain profitability.

Don't go chasing the action market please! It inevitably leads to a dumbing down of movies.

Thank you.
    I don't think, in the range of over 1 billion, there is such a thing (in the minds of the prods) as action or non action or whatever. All there is is profit and the best way to make it. Sadly. Maybe Bond can achieve / maintain a good balance between action and "talk, suspense". If audiences go for that like in SF, it can be profitable and still not spit on the heritage.
    Yes, absolutely and this as reason why I think so

"They will compare one Bond to how many heroes together in one film and to a bunch of cars, doing one incredible stunt after the other etc. "

So....I gave my reaction to that and why I disagree with you :-). Bond is a very unique franchise. And although it mildly incorporates cinematic trends (Bruce Lee in 'TMWTGG', blackxploitation in 'LALD', Star Trek/Wars in 'MR', Lethal Weapon/Die Hard in 'LTK', Batman Begins in 'CR', The Joker/Dark Knight in 'SF') ever since the first Bond film DN, it stays unique. I'm totally, completely, not worried about the future of the Bond franchise.
    Well, I never made it a secret, that I worry not so much about the franchise as about DC leaving on a high. I want him to be able to do that. After that my interest will get back to what it was before. Films I liked, some better then others.
    Fast and Furious released and instantly becomes the highest movie of the year, until now it has grossed probably 1.2 Billion. Keep in mind that it is the first time they have achieved this landmark, whereas previous 007 movie Skyfall already crossed a Billion mark that's why you can expect it to earn 1.5 Billion this time or even more!
    "Furious 7" global box office totals at this stage:
    $1,466,555,135
    It now has a serious shot of crossing the $1.5 Billion

In the meanwhile, also "Avengers 2" is doing staggering work. Its global box office take now stands at:
    $0,875,802,397

Though in China, "Avengers 2" is slightly lagging behind on the first day opening record last month of "Furious 7". These absolutely pales to "Skyfall"s opening day in China though, back in early 2013:
    1st day opening box office "Furious 7":....$55.74 Million (Sunday)
    1st day opening box office "Avengers 2":.$32.48 million (Tuesday)
    1st day opening box office "Skyfall":........$05.10 million
  • RC7RC7
    If there were ever a reason to return to the fandom days of old and not care about Box Office this is surely the time.
    RC7 wrote: »
    If there were ever a reason to return to the fandom days of old and not care about Box Office this is surely the time.

Nahh, not for me ;-). I always had a weird kind of passion for scores and figures. Also, this is a separate passion from my other passion: my actual love of films and cinema.

It makes me happy yes, if SP will be succesful, but it's not a "must" for me. Moreover, there's basically no other news about the production of "SPECTRE".....
    SP really needs to bring the wow factor if it wants to rake in the mega bucks. Another SF content-wise isn't going to cut it. There's no new Brittania or Olympics spectacle to use as leverage. As Connery would say, you're on your own and there's nowhere to hide. SP literally needs to deliver the spectacle and awe factor, especially with the amount of money injected into this film.
    Well the Sony leaked emails also revealed that SPECTRE will be the most costliest movie of franchise with the budget of $300 Millions plus. So we can expect something new that fans are never treated during the Craig era. Few days behind the images released the one featuring motorbikes (may be from Q) whereas the other includes speedboats. I am pretty much sure that this movie will bring something new and exciting for all of us!
    Something tells me that Jurassic World isn't going to hit $1 billion. This is all based on personal speculation, but I feel some goodwill has been taken away by sheer length of time since the last release (2001) and the general ill will towards the sequels. (Though they weren't all bad, if you ask me.)

Just from the trailers and clips, I have a feeling it won't be a great film. Maybe decent, maybe even not bad, but not great. And by great, I mean the greatness that a film needs to have a strong financial hold after the opening weekend. I expect this film to be successful, but I'd be more comfortable putting the worldwide total at around $700-$750 million.

Now let's see if I eat my words! I'm a massive Jurassic Park fan, and did enjoy the sequels for what they were. I truly hope the film is excellent, but I do have reservations.