SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• edited June 2015 Posts: 686
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,965
    At the end of the day I just want Spectre to be financially successful and critically successful for Daniel Craig to do his 5th Bond movie
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited June 2015 Posts: 11,139
    JW with over $100 million coming from China, bringing it's WW total so far to $511million!

Crikey! That's just crazy.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    At the end of the day I just want Spectre to be financially successful and critically successful for Daneil Craig to do his 5th Bond movie

In all honesty....me too :-).
    Some factors that contributed to this insane box office success of "Jurassic World":
    A number of factors helped contribute to the break out performance of Jurassic World this weekend.
    01. Thanks in part to the 14-year gap between the film and 2001's Jurassic Park III, Jurassic World was able to build off of the nostalgia and legacy of Jurassic Park without being weighed down by the less enthusiastic reactions to The Lost World and Jurassic Park III.
    02. The film was also helped out by being the first Jurassic Park film to be aided by higher priced 3D and IMAX admissions,
    03. by the presence of Chris Pratt fresh off his success with last year's Guardians of the Galaxy,
    04. by a very strong marketing campaign and by being the only new action-adventure film for audiences throughout the entire month of June.

Having read the above arguments, I'm starting to become very confident that "SPECTRE" will also bring in massive box office figures. And not just barely $1.0 Billion globally.

No, I am convinced that these factors will bank a guaranteed + $1.2 Billion or more for "SPECTRE":
    01. Popular actors. Bringing in Christoph Waltz (Tarantino fans love this) AND Dave Bautista (Marvel fans love this) was a major coup. These two names will help "SPECTRE"s box office gross tremendously.
    02. Popular cast members. Although Sam Mendes isn't Christopher Nolan, fans of "Skyfall" surely want to see his follow-up "SPECTRE".
    03. An equally good marketing campaign, as compared to Universal. Releasing trailers much earlier then Bond fans are used to, was a very good promotional decision. And perhaps even necessary in this insane box office year.
    04. "SPECTRE" will profit from its own predecessor, "Skyfall". Anticipation for this film is much higher as compared to 2008's "QOS". At that time pundits weren't that convinced that "QOS" could top "CR".
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    At the end of the day I just want Spectre to be financially successful and critically successful for Daneil Craig to do his 5th Bond movie

In all honesty....me too :-).

IMO I don't care if its not in the top 5 grossing movies of 2015, I don't care if it doesn't beat Skyfall in the Box office. I just want a great, entertaining Bond film, and for what I said to happen above thats it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Over half a billion dollars in one weekend is just too crazy but I guess you can add nostalgia as a contributing factor not to be undetestimated. That said, Star Wars is going to destroy everything.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Over half a billion dollars in one weekend is just too crazy but I guess you can add nostalgia as a contributing factor not to be undetestimated. That said, Star Wars is going to destroy everything.

And you can add, that "Jurassic World" was released in EVERY country in the world (but Japan) this weekend.
    This kind of monster-start is only possible with this constellation.
    If China would get the movie a week or two weeks later, there would be no worldwide $500 million-record.

So these worldwide weekend-figures only make sense if every movies is released at the same time all around the world.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree @Jan1985. The global coordinated release is critical these days, and I would think it's more economical, because you can just do one large global campaign tailored for different languages.

SP in particular needs to do a global launch (including China) to get its gross in before the 800 lbs "Force" kicking Gorilla comes out a few weeks later.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

And you can add, that "Jurassic World" was released in EVERY country in the world (but Japan) this weekend.
    This kind of monster-start is only possible with this constellation.
    If China would get the movie a week or two weeks later, there would be no worldwide $500 million-record.

So these worldwide weekend-figures only make sense if every movies is released at the same time all around the world.

You forget one important thing. Such a super fine global release date also results in in the movie getting out of steam everywhere around the globe around the same moment.

Moreover, a movie like "Avatar" didn't have such a fine global release date. Let alone China. But it still managed to gross more than 2.2 Billion worldwide.

SO will NEVER do that. But I think you shouldn't exacerbate the global release date. The points I mentioned in my previous post are IMO more important.
    01. Popular actors. Bringing in Christoph Waltz (Tarantino fans love this) AND Dave Bautista (Marvel fans love this) was a major coup. These two names will help "SPECTRE"s box office gross tremendously.

Dave also has a huge following from WWE. I expect there'll be Spectre TV spots airing during wrestling, showcasing Mr. Hinx.
    And let's not forget the most important name of all...Daniel Craig. He's now firmly established as a popular Bond. Look at the teaser poster, it's just him and nothing else. I wonder if EON will give him above-the-title billing on posters this time? They did it for Broz on DAD. I reckon with all these name actors in the cast, we might also get individual character posters which also happened with DAD.

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,257
    I saw this floating around today and it gave me a good laugh.

YiXpISj.gif
    Saw the film last night and aside from fantastic visuals it was hilariously poor. Bad plot, bad acting, terrible dialogue. I laughed a lot ...
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Saw the film last night and aside from fantastic visuals it was hilariously poor. Bad plot, bad acting, terrible dialogue. I laughed a lot ...

At least it made you laugh and appreciate the brilliant visuals. None of the Jurassic movies can be accused of having a great script. They are about big beasties that are impressive and then try to eat you.
    I laughed at scenes, that were not supposed to be funny. A crapfest really. What a poor place the cineastic world is, if a film like this can make that much money. Sad really.
    Jurassic World is great, I LOVE how self-referential the movie is, and how it's making fun of itself and the whole "bigger and better" mantra of Hollywood. And it does these things WITHOUT becoming completely cynical and ironic. Brilliant.
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote: »

At least it made you laugh and appreciate the brilliant visuals. None of the Jurassic movies can be accused of having a great script. They are about big beasties that are impressive and then try to eat you.

But there's a level of depth to the characters, particularly in the first film. In JW nobody appeared to be intelligent, they all just seem completely dumb. Grant and Malcolm are both intelligent guys in different ways, Grant is lacking in emotional intelligence, where Malcolm is lacking in self awareness, but they're both smart cookies. Pratt isn't all that smart and Dallas-Howard is just a cliched, paint by numbers ball-buster. One of the biggest problems I had with it is the total lack of tension, or any genuine set pieces. It had some decent moments, but nothing that left me gasping. Even the twist,
    It's part Raptor, adds to this idea that everyone is an idiot. Jurassic World, the park where no questions are asked and none of the key players converse, because that would negate the entire plot. The whole reason the first film works so well is because these conversations do take place, with everyone having a unique viewpoint. There's also a palpable tension.
    I found the chase through the jungle with Pratt riding along with them at night a very strong setpiece.
    And the final teeth out [shoot out is just not the word] with the sense we need more teeth is just great.
    ANd JW world perhaps better than any of the previous movies has that theme that is similar to the Alien franchise, Who is the real monster??
  • RC7RC7
    I found the chase through the jungle with Pratt riding along with them at night a very strong setpiece.

It was cool in a sense that it was a man riding with Raptors, but it's no Kitchen scene from 1, or trailer scene from 2.
    And the final teeth out [shoot out is just not the word] with the sense we need more teeth is just great.

Again, it was ok. The only thing that floated my boat was Pratt's relationship with the Raptors, it was neat and hadn't been done before. I feel like mostly everything else was done better the first time out.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »

It was cool in a sense that it was a man riding with Raptors, but it's no Kitchen scene from 1, or trailer scene from 2.

Again, it was ok. The only thing that floated my boat was Pratt's relationship with the Raptors, it was neat and hadn't been done before. I feel like mostly everything else was done better the first time out.

Agreed. This is no #1 or #2 by any means. The tension is nowhere near what we got in those two films which are two of the greats of this genre. This is more along the lines of Godzilla 1998.

However, nostalgia is huge (I, for instance, went to the theatre with memories of the earlier films and how I felt seared into my head) and I think people enjoyed it more as a result.

Also, I think Marvel fatigue has set in with the public. People are going to see Marvel movies but I don't think they're coming out of the theatre feeling really pumped like they were a few yrs ago. So JW is new again. It is the event movie of the summer - not Avengers.

This is similar to the James Bond films in a way. People know what to expect, know it has been done better before, but don't care, because they love the genre and ultimately, no one does it better......still.......after all these yrs.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    However, nostalgia is huge (I, for instance, went to the theatre with memories of the earlier films and how I felt seared into my head) and I think people enjoyed it more as a result.

I saw JP on opening night when I was 9. It was the first mega block-buster I ever saw in the theatre and I remember every moment of it. It's in my top 3 cinema experiences ever. Perhaps I was hoping for history to repeat itself, which is unfair.
    People know what to expect, know it has been done better before, but don't care, because they love the genre and ultimately, no one does it better......still.......after all these yrs.

I'll have to take your word for it. I went with 12 other people. One thought it was unbelievably terrible, three thought it was awful, six (including myself) thought it OK and two really enjoyed it. I reckon if I was nine again it would be pretty incredible.

Also, I think Marvel fatigue has set in with the public. People are going to see Marvel movies but I don't think they're coming out of the theatre feeling really pumped like they were a few yrs ago. So JW is new again. It is the event movie of the summer - not Avengers.

This is similar to the James Bond films in a way. People know what to expect, know it has been done better before, but don't care, because they love the genre and ultimately, no one does it better......still.......after all these yrs.

Spot-on @BondJames ;-) : http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/11920/when-will-the-superhero-saturation-kick-in#latest

Although let's not forget "Avengers 2" did huge huge box office figures as well. Currently $1,354,977,275 globally as we speak. But the story of that film is "it could not beat the first Avengers film".

So I agree. It's quite a similar fatigue that Bond was confronted with after "Thunderball". "You Only Live Twice" just...didn't worked as its predecessors, but it still grossed huge numbers and was still 3rd behind "Jungle Book" and "The Graduate".

Will "SPECTRE" face the same kind of fate? No, I don't think so. I do think there's enough space for "SPECTRE" to improve a lot of "Skyfall".

RC7 wrote: »

I saw JP on opening night when I was 9. It was the first mega block-buster I ever saw in the theatre and I remember every moment of it. It's in my top 3 cinema experiences ever. Perhaps I was hoping for history to repeat itself, which is unfair.
    People know what to expect, know it has been done better before, but don't care, because they love the genre and ultimately, no one does it better......still.......after all these yrs.

I'll have to take your word for it. I went with 12 other people. One thought it was unbelievably terrible, three thought it was awful, six (including myself) thought it OK and two really enjoyed it. I reckon if I was nine again it would be pretty incredible.

The funny thing is, the body count was so much less in JW than it was in Avengers, and yet I was on the seat of my pants much more in JW. I don't know if that's nostalgia or execution, but it was very telling. I think Marvel have to dial it back...

RE: JW, I think the key requirement is to leave your thinking cap at home. Just come for the thrills (and no doubt, Spielberg did it better.....this is no JP but it's not all bad).
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    We'll have strict competition with Catching Fire 2 coming out slightly after. We need a large opening weekend if they want to cross the billion mark again.
    The IMDB MovieMeters have been updated! Off course "SPECTRE" witnessed a huge jump, thanks to the release of new trailers/spots and videoblogs. Remember, with only fall/winter releases included, "SPECTRE" ranks even higher.

IMDB MovieMeter (TV-Series excluded, fall and winter premieres italic):
    http://www.imdb.com/search/title?at=0&sort=moviemeter,asc&title_type=feature&year=2015,2015
    #12: "The Hunger Games 4: Mockingjay Part 2" (Premiere: November 20th)
    #16: "James Bond 24: SPECTRE" (Premiere: November 6th)
    #17: "Batman vs. Superman: Dawn Of Justice" (Premiere: March 25th 2016)
    #18: "Survivor"
    #19: "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens" (Premiere: December 18th)
    #27: "Bridge Of Spies" (Premiere: October 16th)
    #36: "Minions"
    #43: "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation"
    #44: "The Man From UNCLE"
    #83: "Hitman 2: Agent 47"
    #85: "London Has Fallen"
    #91: "The Hateful Eight" (Premiere: January 8th 2016)
    #124: "Snowden" (Premiere: December 25th)
    #148: "Transporter 4: Refueled"

IMDB MovieMeter (TV-Series included, fall and winter premieres italic):
    http://www.imdb.com/chart/?ref_=ft_cht
    #18: "The Hunger Games 4: Mockingjay Part 2" (was #145, Premiere: November 20th)
    #25: "James Bond 24: SPECTRE" (was #110, Premiere: November 6th)
    #28: "Batman vs. Superman: Dawn Of Justice" (was #36, Premiere: March 25th 2016)
    #32: "Survivor" (was #16)
    #33: "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens" (was #41, Premiere: December 18th)
    #50: "Bridge Of Spies" (was #100, Premiere: October 16th)
    #81: "Minions" (was #149)
    #94: "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" (was #64)
    But sadly Hunger games are listed higher.

Don't worry. This poll is also directly related to promotional events for a movie, like the release of trailers, blogs or posters. Hence why also "Hunger Games" went higher.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    with Jurassic World well on it's way to the $1 billion mark, and with Spectre and Episode VII still yet to come - could 2015 be the year we see the most billion dollar films in 1 year?

Furious 7
    Avengers: Age Of Ultron
    Jurassic World
    Spectre (?)
    Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (?)

And the Pierce Brosnan direct-to-VOD movie Survivor is listed higher than Star Wars, lol. So this list is pretty meaningless.
    dinovelvet wrote: »

And the Pierce Brosnan direct-to-VOD movie Survivor is listed higher than Star Wars, lol. So this list is pretty meaningless.

It does give you an idea on how popular upcoming movies are.