SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,512
    bondjames wrote: »
    It costs a lot to make a film these days. Audiences demand more, and costs are increasing.

I don't think there has been a big budget film outside of the aforementioned Inception that has been based on an original creative concept and that has cracked the top 10 in the US in the past 5 yrs.

So in a way we can't really blame Hollywood if the public seems to want more of the same old same old. With increasing box office grosses for predictable/uncreative fare, it seems that this is what we actually want.

FF7 is a terribly tragic example of this imho.

I'm aware of why it doesn't happen. Just coming at it from the point of the fan/creative, because I lament the continual bottlenecking that is squeezing new ideas down across film and (sometimes) TV. It's difficult for me to pitch an original high-concept script because the next man has a spin-off of project 'X' which costs more money, but is bankable, despite the fact it may be fundamentally terrible.

As for blaming Hollywood, I do blame them to an extent. They are the same as the UK film and TV industry, run by suits who follow trends and react accordingly. That's business, I get it, but please, as fans, can we act a little less like philistines. The fact we have fans on here who think it's fine for the industry to be run like this simply validates it further. There was a time when people would put their balls on the line for the sake of creativity. People like Alan Ladd Jnr don't exist anymore, unfortunately.

If people are cool with watching sequels left, right and centre, fine. But don't then lament the lack of genuine classics, because the current model squeezes potential classics back to the bottom of the pile.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree @RC7. Completely. Just telling it like it is.

I really think a lot of it has to do with the public though.....our society as a whole. A few fans on a Bond fan site can't change things.....it has to do with general John Doe etc. That average person is less discerning when it comes to quality these days, because society as a whole has become less demanding of quality output. Many want the cheap thrill (e.g infamous DB5 insertion in SF) and actually get off on it..

Additionally, a lot of these films have to be easily translated to other languages (since the global market is a larger %) and fit in with other culture's acceptable ideas/concepts.

Inevitably that will lead to less creativity and risk taking I think.

So I agree with you but I don't have a solution for it.

In the meanwhile, I'm quite happy with some of the output coming out of the tv market. I watch more tv than I do movies these days. House of Cards, Dexter, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Ray Donovan, Boardwalk Empire, Masters of Sex etc. etc. Love them all and find them quite creative.
  • RC7RC7

I really think a lot of it has to do with the public though. Our society. A few fans on a Bond site can't change things.....it has to do with general John Doe etc. That person is less discerning when it comes to quality, because society as a whole has become less demanding of quality output. Many want the cheap thrill (e.g infamous DB5 insertion in SF)..

Additionally, a lot of these films have to be easily translated to other languages (since the global market is a larger %) and fit in with other culture's acceptable ideas/concepts.

In the meanwhile, I'm quite happy with some of the output coming out of the tv market. I watch more tv than I do movies these days. House of Cards, Dexter, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Ray Donovan, Boardwalk Empire, Masters of Sex etc. etc. Love them all and find them quite creative.

You're right, there is no immediate solution. TV is becoming a new medium entirely, people are actually engaging in dense narrative. It's really interesting to see. I almost feel like it's had a knock on effect with cinema, whereby viewers watch TV on a cerebral level, and now see cinema as pure eye candy. Bloody expensive eye candy, but eye candy rarely achieved on a TV budget.
    RC7 wrote: »

I really think a lot of it has to do with the public though. Our society. A few fans on a Bond site can't change things.....it has to do with general John Doe etc. That person is less discerning when it comes to quality, because society as a whole has become less demanding of quality output. Many want the cheap thrill (e.g infamous DB5 insertion in SF)..

You're right, there is no immediate solution. TV is becoming a new medium entirely, people are actually engaging in dense narrative. It's really interesting to see. I almost feel like it's had a knock on effect with cinema, whereby viewers watch TV on a cerebral level, and now see cinema as pure eye candy. Bloody expensive eye candy, but eye candy rarely achieved on a TV budget.

Very good point. That may very well be true. It certainly applies to me, for whom cinema has almost become like an amusement park ride. I have to leave my brain at home for the most part & come for the noisy thrills. Occasionally something like Inception comes along (I remember being blown away by it because it was so unexpected) but that is a rare.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Also, more and more (relatively) big movie stars are getting involved in TV series for multiple seasons - Liev Schrieber for Ray Donovan, Don Cheadle for House of Lies, Kevin Spacey for House of Cards, etc, as if they also see the opportunity of more meaty roles/storylines in high quality TV series than movies.

But on the other hand, look at all the major stars that get casted in Superhero films. Who would have thought 20 years ago that actors like Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman or Anthony Hopkins would play big roles in big budgeted superhero films?
    Also, more and more (relatively) big movie stars are getting involved in TV series for multiple seasons - Liev Schrieber for Ray Donovan, Don Cheadle for House of Lies, Kevin Spacey for House of Cards, etc, as if they also see the opportunity of more meaty roles/storylines in high quality TV series than movies.

But on the other hand, look at all the major stars that get casted in Superhero films. Who would have tough 20 years ago that actors like Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman or Anthony Hopkins would play big roles in big budgeted superhero films?

Or what about Javier Bardem or Christoph Waltz in that other 'superhero' franchise ;-)?

Anyway, I don't get the criticism. As you already pointed out, Hollywood is not just the land of unoriginal blockbusters. The Hollywood film circle, and also the New York film circle, also creates wonderful, small, low budget, independent arthouse pictures. Terrence Malick, Todd Solondz, David Lynch, Lars Von Trier, Paul Thomas Andersson, Gus Van Sant, Todd Field, Spike Jonze, David Fincher, Robert Altman, Richard Linklater.......all wonderful directors. And they directed quite a few masterpieces on a low budget. I actually once made a topic about this subject: Smaller independent films.

But guess what, MOST of the people in here more or less ignored it. Apparently there wasn't a 'market' on this forum for such critically acclaimed films.

I also think that sometimes people are hard to please. Especially in here there are some Bond fans who dislike the success of blockbusters like "Jurassic World", "Avengers 2" or "Furious 7". They perhaps aren't masterpieces, but fact is: People liked them. And in all honesty? I also quite liked "Furious 7"!

And if you don't like these films, then don't forget that there are also big blockbusters who were regarded by critics as near-masterpieces. "The Dark Knight"? "Up"? "Inception"? "Wall-E"? "The Dark Knight Rises"? "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"? And hell, even "Skyfall"? All movies that were not just made by brainless clones of Michael Bay, who literally work as marketeers to satisfy the needs of the viewers. No, they were very good movies, that ALSO did very good at the box office.

And then there are these countless small-budget films that sadly go unnoticed here. I think it's time I need to dedicate an entirely new topic to exactly such movies and directors. Because I love them too. I we need to shed light on those films as well. They won't dissappear. Don't worry about that.

But in the meanwhile, this topic is about something else I guess. Another love of mine....and many other film fans.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Yes, @Gustav_Graves, there are directors in Hollywood who swears by making quality films. But look at 'Girl with Dragon Tattoo' by Fincher, it's supposed to be a trilogy, but it didn't set the box office on fire, and we're now 4 years since the film, with no news whatsoever on the follow-up of a highly acclaimed film. Imagine if Godfather had been made in 2015( and I mean the exact same film) with the same success as 'Dragon Tattoo'. Would we have been graced with the exceptional 2nd part, or would it have been in limbo for years due to execs feeling the first outing didn't make enough money?
    Sony should lose Bond just as punishment for how they screwed up the Dragon Tattoo franchise imho.

The first one was a work of art, and it will be a tragedy if they don't make the sequels. Craig could have easily done it while waiting around 3 yrs for SP and Mara has been clamoring for it..
    No disrespect to Liam Neeson, one of my favorite actors, but a movie like 'Taken 2' gets a sequel greenlighted almost immediately, while a movie like Fincher's Dragon Tattoo is left in the dark for almost half a decade.
    Yes, @Gustav_Graves, there are directors in Hollywood who swears by making quality films. But look at 'Girl with Dragon Tattoo' by Fincher, it's supposed to be a trilogy, but it didn't set the box office on fire, and we're now 4 years since the film, with no news whatsoever on the follow-up of a highly acclaimed film. Imagine if Godfather had been made in 2015( and I mean the exact same film) with the same success as 'Dragon Tattoo'. Would we have been graced with the exceptional 2nd part, or would it have been in limbo for years due to execs feeling the first outing didn't make enough money?

That's an example. But why do all smaller budget movies become.....franchises?? I'm actually glad no sequels were planned for gems like "American Beauty", "Boyhood", "Eraserhead", "Boogie Nights", "Happiness", "Network", "Nashville", "Crash", "The Tree Of Life", "Melancholia", "Milk", "A Single Man" or "Her"? If you ask me, the entire construction/format of franchises and sequels is foremost a result of the blockbuster phenomenon. And if I'm not mistaken, Mr James Bond 007 in part kicked that off no??

Anyway, do I therefore become angry? Off course not. But I do think "we" sometimes need to have way more clear how beautiful and big the world of movies is. I simply don't see a haunted ghost destroying the very aspect of good movies. Just, widen your horizon, and pick a small-budget arthouse movie every now and then, instead of posting grumpy messages in here :-).
    @Gustav_Graves where was I angry in my message? Sorry if I came off rude or anything, I didn't mean to, I was just pointing out an example.
    @Gustav_Graves where was I angry in my message? Sorry if I came off rude or anything, I didn't mean to, I was just pointing out an example.

I'm not angry :P. Not at all hehe. I just....wanted to say this :-). My answer should also be read in a broader perspective I think...

I'm not angry :P. Not at all hehe. I just....wanted to say this :-). My answer should also be read in a broader perspective I think...

I don't have any preference between the past era or current era in Hollywood, I enjoy all movies, from any decades. I agree there are still many great directors showing true visions in Hollywood today, it just feels that there are more and more blockbusters and sequels in recent years.
  • RC7RC7

That's an example. But why do all smaller budget movies become.....franchises?? I'm actually glad no sequels were planned for gems like "American Beauty", "Boyhood", "Eraserhead", "Boogie Nights", "Happiness", "Network", "Nashville", "Crash", "The Tree Of Life", "Melancholia", "Milk", "A Single Man" or "Her"? If you ask me, the entire construction/format of franchises and sequels is foremost a result of the blockbuster phenomenon. And if I'm not mistaken, Mr James Bond 007 in part kicked that off no??

You totally miss the point. TGWTDT is one part of the Millenium trilogy, but the latter parts don't see the light of day because of $$$, not because of lack of quality.

The second point is that there's room for big budget films with a brain that don't need to have sequels. They don't need to be restricted to 'art house', which is what happens when a studio doesn't throw it's weight behind the movie. If someone were to care more about finances, though, it's not an issue. The bottom line trumps all.
    Think Spectre will make $700 000 000 worldwide.
    That will put it only slightly above 50 Shades of Grey. Don't you think that's too pessimistic? Surely Bond should be able to do better than that?

QoS did $586m and CR did $599M. With increased ticket prices, possible blitz marketing and IMAX, as well as increased China grosses, I think they're on course for about $900m to $1bn, and possibly slightly more when it's all said and done. It will depend on spy fatigue and how long they get the run of the good theatres before HG-Mockingjay 2 comes in.

First couple of weeks should be very strong and they may be able to get $600m - $700m globally in just the first two weeks based on the compressed release date schedule. It's after that (staying power) where the possible issue lies imho. I don't think it will have the staying power that SF had due to SF7, so it will probably have to do at least $700m in the first two wks to have a decent shot at $1bn when it's all said and done.
    Based on previous numbers for the more recent Bond Films I feel $700 000 000 is a fair number. Skyfall is a freak box office smash relatively speaking for the series, the 50th anniversary hype train contributed greatly to the money that the film made.

You totally miss the point. TGWTDT is one part of the Millenium trilogy, but the latter parts don't see the light of day because of $$$, not because of lack of quality.

The second point is that there's room for big budget films with a brain that don't need to have sequels. They don't need to be restricted to 'art house', which is what happens when a studio doesn't throw it's weight behind the movie. If someone were to care more about finances, though, it's not an issue. The bottom line trumps all.

I don't 'totally miss the point'. I think I'm exactly spot-on. I know the "Millennium Trilogy" very damn well. I epecially like the Swedish version. And I also know very well why no 2nd part of this trilogy wasn't produced in 'Hollywood' yet. But I don't think that's the real issue here.

I think the real issue is the fact that I simply don't need a sequel or a remake from an original set of films that were already perfectly made/executed by Swedes (Danish director by the way). I call this a perfect example of the kind of Hollywood laziness, no offense @DaltonCraig007 ;-), that you're actually so tired off @RC7!

What is the point you actually want to make? I mean, there's something for everyone on "Planet Movie" no? I actually mentioned those "big budget films with a brain". And what's the problem if it's not a big budget film...and stays small-budget? I also mentioned some examples of those films as well. As a matter of fact, big movie companies like 20th Century Fox have their own 'arthouse divisions', like Fox Searchlight. And Sony Pictures has Sony Classics.

Sorry, I really don't see your problem @RC7.
  • RC7RC7
    My problem is people like you Gustav, loads of them in the industry.
    My problem is people like you Gustav, loads of them in the industry.

Well, I don't know what to say to that. Perhaps I can say that I don't work in that industry? I'm a person who is on extended sickness leave.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Terminator is getting some pretty disappointing reviews. Let's see how close to a billion it makes.
    That movie will do $300 Million max: Is an assured flop. One of the reasons I never mentioned this "thing" on previous pages of this topic.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Terminator is getting some pretty disappointing reviews. Let's see how close to a billion it makes.

It does look truly awful. I have to wonder how many mid range films could have been made for the budget they've waxed on it.
    I'm ashamed to say I will be watching it in the theatre, out of respect for the memory of Arnie's illustrious past, and because there's nothing else worth watching.
    JW deserves its success imho. So far, it has been the only 'blockbuster' of the year that I've found has lived up to expectations (i.e. I actually found it entertaining).

The only 'blockbuster' that lived up to expectations is "Mad Max: Fury Road".
    It's the best movie of the year to date.

JW was just average imho.
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    JW deserves its success imho. So far, it has been the only 'blockbuster' of the year that I've found has lived up to expectations (i.e. I actually found it entertaining).

The only 'blockbuster' that lived up to expectations is "Mad Max: Fury Road".
    It's the best movie of the year to date.

JW was just average imho.

Mad Max is a good film, but it currently has about $357m in total worldwide gross. Hardly a blockbuster based on the +$1bn club, which is what I was referring to. In that club for 2015, I am more impressed with JW than any other film. It met my requirements in a summer popcorn flick, which is to say, I was suitably entertained.
    Sucks that Terminator is getting disappointed reviews, tho thats not stopping me from seeing it
    The original 'Taken' film was murdered by critics, and hardly anyone went to see it for the first few week (in France) s because there was another big comedy at the same time (Bienvenu chez les Chtis). It didn't stop Taken from building big momentum and being a surprised hit, and it now regarded as one of the best action films of the last 10 years. I saw the film on opening day, the cinema was jam packed for the comedy film (they had to refuse a good 200 people because the showing was full), and for Taken there were only 3 other individuals at the showing.
    I want to say something. I have the feeling that certain people 'think' bad action-heavy, CGI-heavy, 3D-heavy popcorn movies are easily 0.75 Billion Dollar catches and good movies not. This is only partially true.

Just have a look at these movies. It's partially my taste, but I do think these are not just the average cheap popcorn flicks. In all honesty, I find these films better than good....sometimes near=perfect:

--> worldwide gross $0,363,460,932: "Inside Out" (will easily move past the $750 Million)
    --> worldwide gross $0,358,360,000: "Mad Max: Fury Road" (still needs to open in China)
    --> worldwide gross $0,585,174,222: "Iron Man" (the first and best 'Bond-esque' Marvel-film featuring Iron Man)
    --> worldwide gross $0,586,090,727: "Quantum Of Solace" (not the best, but certainly gripping)
    --> worldwide gross $0,609,016,565: "Life Of Pi" (and how 3D is used in the best possible way)
    --> worldwide gross $0,672,720,017: "Interstellar" (sci-fi, did massive stuff in China)
    --> worldwide gross $0,691,247,768: "The Hunger Games" (first dystopian sci-fi was the best)
    --> worldwide gross $0,708,835,589: "Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes" (gritty sci-fi)
    --> worldwide gross $0,714,766,572: "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" (Marvel's own 'gritty Bond')
    --> worldwide gross $0,716,392,705: "Gravity" (wonderful inventive film, 3D ads something)
    --> worldwide gross $0,731,342,744: "Up" (another Pixar jewel)
    --> worldwide gross $0,774,176,600: "Guardians Of The Galaxy" (Marvel's own Star Trek)
    --> worldwide gross $0,825,532,764: "Inception" (another great sci-fi flick)
    --> worldwide gross $1,004,558,444: "The Dark Knight" (instant classic, thematically perfect)
    --> worldwide gross $1,063,171,911: "Toy Story 3" (guys, this is honest emotion vs. adventure!)
    --> worldwide gross $1,084,439,099: "The Dark Knight Rises" (perfect conclusion of a trilogy)
    --> worldwide gross $1,108,561,013: "Skyfall" (a worthy espionage thriller/drama.. And guys, it's a...Bond film)
    --> worldwide gross $2,787,965,087: "Avatar" (imo imaginative, absorbing filmmaking)

So my message would be: Good films or other great moviemaking achievements can equally be box office successes. I never say that a box office result should be the key-factor in judging the film's quality. That's stupid IMO. But I do think one can do both at the same time: Making a great film, thus resulting in a critically acclaimed box office hit. It's what the Bond producers motto is no? So it's not just a matter of blaiming marketeers and box-office scrutinizers. No, it's even more so about making an inventive and good film.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,727
    But the demand for films like FF7 is clearly there, as evidenced by the $$$, whereas I am not so sure it would have been as much of a hit in the story-driven blockbuster era of the 80's.

Back then there genuinely was a high demand for original, well written blockbusters. It was what SOLD. And execs followed suit (...pun intended).

FIVE of the ten highest grossing films of the 1980's had NO previous franchise/fan-base and were original screenplays:

E.T
    Raiders'
    Back to the future
    Ghostbusters
    Beverly Hills Cop (ok prob the weakest of the list...)

And the other 5? Batman (which was actually high-risk back then, had never been put on the big screen before), Star Wars EP V and VI and more Indy.

That will just never happen in the current climate of movie-making economics.

Same excercise for this decade so far? Top ten since 2010:

Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
    Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
    Toy Story 3 (2010)
    Jurassic World (2015)
    Iron Man 3 (2013)
    The Hunger Games (2012)
    Frozen (2013)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (2011)

I rest my case, your honor.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 725
    Great points bondjames. SF's success is all EON talks about. If they copy it, and give us SF 2, SP will have a bumpy road to 1 billion in today's market.
    AceHole wrote: »
    But the demand for films like FF7 is clearly there, as evidenced by the $$$, whereas I am not so sure it would have been as much of a hit in the story-driven blockbuster era of the 80's.

Back then there genuinely was a high demand for original, well written blockbusters. It was what SOLD. And execs followed suit (...pun intended).

FIVE of the ten highest grossing films of the 1980's had NO previous franchise/fan-base and were original screenplays:

E.T
    Raiders'
    Back to the future
    Ghostbusters
    Beverly Hills Cop (ok prob the weakest of the list...)

And the other 5? Batman (which was actually high-risk back then, had never been put on the big screen before), Star Wars EP V and VI and more Indy.

That will just never happen in the current climate of movie-making economics.

Same excercise for this decade so far? Top ten since 2010:

Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
    Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
    Toy Story 3 (2010)
    Jurassic World (2015)
    Iron Man 3 (2013)
    The Hunger Games (2012)
    Frozen (2013)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (2011)

I rest my case, your honor.

Very true. The Hollywood system is far more risk averse now, and the public is far less demanding (with their wallets) of new, exciting concepts. Hollywood is just giving the people what they want.

We have an increasingly 'ADD' dumbed down Western audience, combined with a global audience that has to be satisfied (with films that must easily translate across continents.....and action does that) combined with increased costs.

That's a recipe for FF7 and the like.

SF/TDK/TDKR are more of an exception than the rule because they're somewhat intelligent/mature and still made money.