The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If Fincher is right and a script is going, with Sony having already spent money on the rights to the source, there is still hope. Fingers crossed.
    That is a real shame as I enjoyed the first one a lot, but will keep my fingers crossed.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm not sure Mara shouldn't be seen as the definitive person to call this, there is a new book coming out later this year and as Fincher said they've spent the money on the rights and have apparently secured the rights for the new book so I don't think this is as dead in the water as it looks.

The fact he said that the script they have is different to the book is most intriguing, I think his film elevated the pulpy nature of the book to something better and if they are changing things up for Fire and Hornets I wouldn't have a problem with that. They are good reads but they aren't above being improved on.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Whether it happens or not, the first film did still make a fair amount of money and there are countless Millennium/Fincher fans out there who would love to see sequels. Fingers crossed that this happens, indeed.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    Sorry to hear that from Mara. I was hoping the 2016 & 2017 rumors were true. In that case it would mean filming would begin by the end of the year. So, we would have had an announcement about that.
    On the flip side? Could this mean only a 2 year gap to Bond 25 once Spectre is out? If this is a 2 parter? And obviously DC's time would be freed up unless he commits to something else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 432
    I would be glad to see DC do some other film before B25. I get the feeling that people would only see him as Bond. And, he can play a great variety of roles.
    Pajan005 wrote: »
    I would be glad to see DC do some other film before B25. I get the feeling that people would only see him as Bond. And, he can play a great variety of roles.

Yes. I must say I was disappointed that he didn't do any movies between B23 and B24, and if he won't do any between B24 and B25, either... Just sounds like such waste and a very bad idea. Obviously it's his life and his career, but he's a great actor, and could be doing some very interesting stuff besides Bond, something completely different, and I'd like to see that... I also think it would be good for him as an actor and good for his career on the whole. Could be supporting roles or leads, could be big movies or tiny independent ones. Some movies get shot in less than a month, and doing something like that between big projects like Bond movies might be a good idea if another big project sounds too exhausting (which I would understand). Surely the guy must get scripts to read.

Perhaps not too large a role. He should secure a medium role with enough impact on a good enough project to be memorable without taking the lead. He has a cameo in Star Wars, but really it's just him in a mask.

Perhaps in one of the spin offs he may have secured himself something that we'll find out later? It's interesting that he is "in bed" with the people behind that film. Star Wars films are full of memorable characters that aren't the lead actor.
    If the movie is big then a supporting role would probably indeed be a better idea than a lead, but if the movie(s) is(are) small or middle-sized then could be lead(s) as well.
    I was talking to friend for some days ago and he started to mention an actor who he couldn't remember the name of. He was saying: "You know that guy who is not in many movies? He was in that Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." My answer was: "Oh, you mean Daniel. He is James Bond also." His reply: "Oh, right.."

My point is, I fear that he might sometimes be forgotten by the general public and just seen as that one character or film. I've seen a lot more films with him than just Bond. In for example Defiance he pulls off that accent and really made me believe he was not English. He also does a good job as a villain in Adventures of Tintin, I barely recognized him. Here's hoping that he does some more roles in the coming years. :)
    I think,that is by choice. Of course, had he been more successful with all of them - Tattoo, C&A, even Golden Compass, he would have been and still would be to his neck in work, because they all were planned to have sequels. But after SF, he pulled out of Monuments Men ((thanksfully) to do Broadway with Rachel and then later out of The Whole Truth, without doing anything to replace it. IMO he finds himself in a position, where he, maybe for the first timne in his life, feels, there are other things to enjoy besides acting. So in his time off, during those few appearances or fan selfies, he seemed to be really happy, so...who knows? He doesn't enjoy fame or even popularity and might be fine with the way it has gone after all. Maybe he puts up a production company with Rachel and does his own stuff or goes into directing. Its all possible or he finally has a big success besides Bond and is back in business full time. I talked to a firend about it yesterday. With him, you never know. He is totally unpredictable.
    He wants to direct? Interesting. I know he isn't an actor for fame and self-promotion and all that, and doesn't feel comfortable about that sort of stuff, but he doesn't need to. One doesn't have to go around the late night chat show circuit, or sell one's private life, or constantly socialize with film industry people and go to Hollywood parties. It is possible to be a successful and respected actor in much demand without that.

He also doesn't need to have "a big success besides Bond" - he could be doing small or middle-sized films, most good and interesting films aren't big-budget affairs, anyway (in my opinion). Smaller films also won't take so long to make, so he could easily do a couple per year and still have more time off than he would be making or promoting movies. Perfect for actors who are financially comfortable enough so they don't have to work all the time nor get millions for every role, who have families, who have other interests besides acting, but still want to act. There's also less risk and pressure since there are not huge amounts of money involved.

It is exactly because I see him as an actor (as opposed to "a star") that I would imagine he'd be interested in doing small films where he could do different things acting-wise... for the sake of acting, not fame or money. Naturally, if he doesn't want to, then so be it. Like I said, his life and career. Selfishly I just wish he'd do more movies since I'd like to see more of his work. But who knows, maybe he'll get super busy with other movies after SPECTRE. :)
    Very much agree with all this. I remember an interview he did with Jake Hamilton when SF came out. He said that you gotta get away from the business as much as possible and get some perspective of life. Which I'm sure he did before production of SP.

He did the same before when he was absent after 2008. He did return full force in 2011 with four major films. This time however it's only SP. I'm sure it's a good thing because it means time is devoted to make this film the best it could possibly be.
    B_FztdJWoAABahZ.jpg
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Pajan005 wrote: »
    I was talking to friend for some days ago and he started to mention an actor who he couldn't remember the name of. He was saying: "You know that guy who is not in many movies? He was in that Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." My answer was: "Oh, you mean Daniel. He is James Bond also." His reply: "Oh, right.."

My point is, I fear that he might sometimes be forgotten by the general public and just seen as that one character or film. I've seen a lot more films with him than just Bond. In for example Defiance he pulls off that accent and really made me believe he was not English. He also does a good job as a villain in Adventures of Tintin, I barely recognized him. Here's hoping that he does some more roles in the coming years. :)

The fact is not many of his non Bond films with him in the lead have done very well. I know many will disagree but I just don't think he has that ability on his own to carry a big Hollywood movie. It is a classic case of the actor being elevated by the Bond role. Had Babs not spotted something in him he'd still be doing mainly minor character roles. I'd like to see him in an ensemble movie. Not necessarily as the heroic lead.

Most of the Bond actors have been in the same category. Probably only Connery had that true Hollywood leading man aura, and to a lesser extent Sir Rog. Sometimes I think we forget that the actors are not chosen because they are stars, but because EON see a bargain and the Ability to inhabit the role.
    Thing is, there is no such thing anymore as an actor, that carries a role in whatever film. Take all the big stars and those, who are higly popular, Channing Tatum and the likes. They have a hit, maybe another, the world is at their feet and the next film flops. Why? Because something about the films subject, the way, it was done or whatever wasn to the liking of the audiences. What that proves IMO is, that by and large, there is no such thing anymore, than actors being BO gold on their own. Its always the film. Take RDJ. He sure is loved...as Sherlock and Iron Man. Not many went to see The Judge, where he most likely showed some real acting talent.

True is though, that Daniel wasnt fortunate. Sure hits turned out flat. Never his fault, but I doubt anybody else would have had more success. Nobody could have saved C/A.
    Of course, I meant carry a film, not role.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    C/A is a good example; it has immense star power, I think, and was still bad/flopped.
    C/A is a good example; it has immense star power, I think, and was still bad/flopped.

What do you mean with "C/A"?
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Agree to some extent GL, but there are still stars out there who help lift BO on their own, even if just for a few films. I don't think DC is one of them. He is a good actor and I like his Bond, but perhaps people have expected too much of him in his career outside Bond.

Interesting comparisons with Brosnan actually , who really used Bond to take his career to a new level. I don't feel Craig has done that.
    Cowboys and Aliens (I think lol)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Cowboys and Aliens? :(

As I said on another thread, did anyone really think that POS was salvageable with a title like that.

What were they thinking?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think I'm the only one who loved Cowboys and Aliens. :))
    SF was a great success. DC gave one of the best performances and audiences really like him. I thought that thanks to that he would have more luck in the future.
    He might. C&A was before Skyfall. It will be interesting to see what non-Bond roles Craig gets in the future.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I've always liked DC as Bond and in TGWTDT.

That's why I was so upset that they have delayed the Dragon sequels. Such an absolute shame. I thought the first one was a masterpiece (and yes, I've seen the Swedish ones too).
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »

You and me both ;)
    NicNac wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

You and me both ;)

Just to be clear, I was referring above to the name of the movie, as folks were commenting on its lack of success. The premise and the name were not exactly conducive to box office domination (sort of unusual). I saw it in the theatre, and it was ok, but not especially memorable imo. Different.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've always liked DC as Bond and in TGWTDT.

That's why I was so upset that they have delayed the Dragon sequels. Such an absolute shame. I thought the first one was a masterpiece (and yes, I've seen the Swedish ones too).

Was underwhelmed by the film. Thought it was okay but far from excellent. Sometimes I just think DC is little too downbeat for his own good. He seems to want to turn in art house performances in Hollywood movies - and the result is something that falls between two stools IMO - neither a great dramatic performance, nor a star turn. I think Fincher takes the blame as much as DC though. The film lacked suspense and tension for me - it was less effective than the book. And the psycho's torture chamber just felt derivative - like something we've seen a hundred times before in various serial killer and horror movies. Fincher didn't inject the freshness or new spin this story required.