SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

If Quantum is in, I'm OUT. :bz
    I think it will be clear come press conference what Waltz role is. We'll know if he's the main baddie if no other major actor shows up. Unless they are VERY good at keeping secrets and keep an actor under wraps until filming.

• edited November 2014 Posts: 3,169
    So... we have one source - a journalist from the British tabloid press - saying that Waltz has signed on, and that Mexico too will feature as a location?

Nothing has been confirmed yet, right?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Oh yes, yes. Christoph Waltz as the main villain would be great.
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    So... we have one source - a journalist from the British tabloid press - saying that Waltz has signed on?

Nothing has been confirmed yet, right?

Nothing confirmed, but this is a source proven to have inside information. I believe Baz announced Lea Seydoux, among other things. There's no reason for him to post about Waltz like this if Waltz isn't a done deal.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Murdock wrote: »
    And so we have the first hints of Spectre. Would imagine Waltz is either a Spectre member or the main man himself. Great casting either way. Now on to the main villain, perhaps our Quantum head who is about to be subverted by Waltz who will help Bond to destroy Quantum unknowingly creating Spectre.

Who said anything about SPECTRE? All we know is Waltz has been cast. Nobody said anything about Blofeld or SPECTRE except for a few who want to relive those glory days...
    misc-jackie-chan-l.png

Really, where does this "hints of Spectre" nonsense comes from?
    Also, I agree with Murdock, I would rather have Quantum back than a Blofeld reboot.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Great news that such a talented actor is signed on for Bond 24. I too want Chiwetel Ejiofor, but the guy is 37. Plenty of time for him to be a part of the series. The important part is that they signed a well regarded and popular actor that will certainly add quality and generate excitement for Bond 24.

What makes everybody think that Waltz signed up for the same role Ejiofor was considered for? This is a complete repeat of early 2011 when both Bardem and Fiennes were rumored for Bond 23 and everyone thought they were contenders for the same role.

For me that is not true. Christoph Waltz can play whatever kind of role. But this time around there's no vacancy for "M". And although he can play many sorts of roles, he is usually playing complex, rather "weird" character. Even the ally he played in "Django Unchained" was like that. So it is not confirmed, but it seems he will play a complex role which nature is not known yet. And that is likely pointing towards a more complex villain character. Perhaps he will change DURING the movie from a covert intelligence source for MI6 into a villain recruited by a syndicate. That seems more likely.

Moreover, I'm pretty sure they won't cast Waltz for a simple, small role, like a black-and-white henchman or a black-and-white Mathis-kind of character. His name is too big for what. Obviously Barbara and Michael wanted again a "big name" like I always predicted.....similar to Bardem.
    I am pretty sure, there won't be another main villain role. As I read it, the role is complex but pretty much leads versus villain, just not from the start. Waltz will NOT be used as a character, who just shows up for bits to step back for what "seems" to be the main villain, only to become the big surprise at the end. Whatever villain role is left will be minor in importance and screen time.
  • Germanlady wrote: »
    I am pretty sure, there won't be another main villain role. As I read it, the role is complex but pretty much leads versus villain, just not from the start. Waltz will NOT be used as a character, who just shows up for bits to step back for what "seems" to be the main villain, only to become the big surprise at the end. Whatever villain role is left will be minor in importance and screen time.

As I was saying as well ;-)
  • RC7RC7
    I thought the Ejiofor rumour centred around him playing a Norwegian villain? If so, and with Austria replacing Norway, one would suspect the villain is now Austrian. If Waltz is that man it seems a bit on the nose, but he's a great actor so I'll be interested to see how this this whole thing plays out. Anyone else thinking Waltz and Bautista will have to be very well directed to avoid coming across as a comedy double-act? Diminutive brain, aided by gargantuan brawn.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I thought the Ejiofor rumour centred around him playing a Norwegian villain? If so, and with Austria replacing Norway, one would suspect the villain is now Austrian. If Waltz is that man it seems a bit on the nose, but he's a great actor so I'll be interested to see how this this whole thing plays out. Anyone else thinking Waltz and Bautista will have to be very well directed to avoid coming across as a comedy double-act? Diminutive brain, aided by gargantuan brawn.

True, I was already thinking, that waltz is relatively small and NEEDS someone like Bautista, But I have no worries. It might be a bit piece of comic approach at the beginning, turning into something really threatening.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Great news! I'm not convinced Waltz will play a villain, but I wouldn't be surprised (or sad) if he did. I like the description of the character. An Austrian actor for Austria as a location, I like that! Perhaps he's a bit too young to play
    Hans Oberhauser
    but that was the first thing I remembered when I read the news (yes, I'm aware he was
    Swiss, not Austrian
    Now, Mexico, we did not see this one coming did we? Very exciting times. I hope the news finally start rolling from now on.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,043
    Villain or not whatever he's cast as this is great news, Waltz is a pleasure to watch his Hans Landa and Dr Schultz are 2 of the most memorable characters of the last decade.

I'm sure he'll be given something with some meat on it, after Bardem they always going to go for an A lister like him, bring on Bond 24!

Say what you want about BB & MGW but they really can pull in a great cast, SF success has only intensified this what started with CR and of course the man himself Mr Craig has done more for this role than anyone since Connery and he's not finished yet.
  • wow a dream comes true!! Some years ago Christoph Waltz as the main villain was my april fool news... ;)

With all the location shooting and Christoph Waltz cast it's going to be a very Austrian bondmovie :)
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if he does another Martial Arts impression ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    They are really keeping rumours under control this time. I think Baz has access to information in return for "leaking" it only as required. We had no idea Mexico would feature as a location and Waltz (although part of several fans' wish lists) was never rumoured. Who knows what/who else they have up their sleeves!?
  • This is great news! If I'm really nitpicking the only problem I do have is that Waltz is a little too obvious a piece of casting. I suppose you could say the same thing about Javier Bardem being hired to play a villain in the previous film though as both Waltz and Bardem are very associated for playing screen baddies. However, the actual role of Silva was about a million miles away from the type of character I thought Bardem was going to play; instead of being flinty, cold-eyed killer he was a camp, eccentric mummy's boy. Maybe Waltz's casting will confound our expectations?

I hope that if Waltz is indeed the villain that his character isn't just a rehash of his charming persona on show in the Tarantino films. I hope he's a really dark and menacing character with little humour.

UPDATE: TheWrap (http://www.thewrap.com/christoph-waltz-joining-daniel-craig-in-bond-24-will-he-play-the-villain/) are reporting that the role that Ejiofer was considered for is the same part that Waltz is currently filling.

Also Baz calls the character Bond's 'nemesis'; is he hinting at Blofeld?

zero_theorem_photo-1024x556.jpg
  • RC7 wrote: »

Don't you trust famed character /drama director Sam Mendes for that? Moreover, the name "Mendes" is a magnet. It attracted Hoyte van Hoytema. He confirmed it was his sole reason to enter the production of Bond 24. Moreover, if actors feel thrilled to work with such a recognized director, then it certainly can't hurt the motivation of a particular actor. The actor certainly doesn't need a lot of convincing anymore in the casting process. That used to be slightly different in the past.

Also, with such big names onboard, there's usually something going on with the screenplay as well. They either love it or hate it. Even an "in between" feeling can be hurtful in the final casting of a producer's favorite actor.

If "Skyfall" did one thing right, then it was, with one word, "characters". Regardless of the plot, the characters were very multi-layered and have more "soul" with Mendes helming. "Skyfall" left a legacy, hence Christoph Waltz. It all makes sense.

I fully trust Mendes. And I firmly believe the duo Waltz-Batista will NOT turn out a comedy double act. Not only Mendes' gravita as director will help with that, also the screenplay.
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Germanlady wrote: »

True, I was already thinking, that waltz is relatively small and NEEDS someone like Bautista, But I have no worries. It might be a bit piece of comic approach at the beginning, turning into something really threatening.

It all depends on his role, which is quite ambiguous according to the article. It might be that they aren't necessarily a villain/henchman combo in the general sense, on the surface it's too cliched, but Mendes as director has shown a willingness to reintroduce the tropes of old, albeit in "new" ways. In SF I think he achieved this with Q and failed with MP. Whether he successfully puts a new spin on the villain/henchman dynamic, we shall see. The encouraging thing above all else is Waltz, I don't see him doing a less than brilliant job.

It all depends on his role, which is quite ambiguous according to the article. It might be that they aren't necessarily a villain/henchman combo in the general sense, on the surface it's too cliched, but Mendes as director has shown a willingness to reintroduce the tropes of old, albeit in "new" ways. In SF I think he achieved this with Q and failed with MP. Whether he successfully puts a new spin on the villain/henchman dynamic, we shall see. The encouraging thing above all else is Waltz, I don't see him doing a less than brilliant job.
    Yes and apart from having a great actor, it confirms another well or at least interesting written role. Otherwise he wouldn't bother.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    All this makes me even more excited about who the other Bond girl is going to be, assuming there is one.
  • RC7RC7

Yes and apart from having a great actor, it confirms another well or at least interesting written role. Otherwise he wouldn't bother.

Certainly. If only they could get Quentin to write his dialogue; the opening scene of Inglourious Basterds is mesmeric. If we get anything close to this it will be a triumph. However, this is the team that delivered the Silva introduction and if they can marry that character work with a sound, logical trajectory we'll be winning.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What wonderful news. I hope this is true. I love Christoph Waltz, such a hugely talented actor. He'll make a very fine addition to the Bond series.
    Very excited about Bond 24 anyway. This just makes it that little bit better.
    I see Christoph Waltz as the kind of 'new' Chris Walken if you will. Always interesting to watch. Diverse and amazingly talented. Yay Bond 24. Bring it on.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Certainly. If only they could get Quentin to write his dialogue; the opening scene of Inglourious Basterds is mesmeric. If we get anything close to this it will be a triumph. However, this is the team that delivered the Silva introduction and if they can marry that character work with a sound, logical trajectory we'll be winning.

Funnily enough, Quentin also gave Waltz a splendid verse about rats in that opening scene, didn't he?

About all those Blofeld rumours, I really don't think that Mendes is going to reintroduce the character at this time. I'm still not sure that someone like Blofeld would fit into Craig's Bond era. It would seem like a too-obvious thing to do at the moment. But, who knows..
    Boy all of a sudden I have 120 something posts to read. How serious is the Waltz rumour? I'd be glad if he plays a villain, he has the right maturity and gravitas.

And now all the Blofeld speculations are less speculative.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Brilliant news! Baddy or No baddy, a great addition to the cast. Frankly he has to be the baddy doesn't he? It's innevitable?

Not inevitable, but more likely.
  • Well that's two cast members of Inglorious Basterds now supposedly in Bond 24
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Inglorious Basterds was a masterclass in tension building and acting. A true lesson for others to follow. I always remember watching that opening scene with Seydoux/Waltz et all in the cabin in France and thinking, gosh, I wish EON can see how this scene builds tension and use a similar approach in a Bond pretitle.....So I'm not surprised we've got some actors/actresses from that great classic here. If they cast Diane Kruger as well I'd be completely set....

Now regarding Waltz. As some have previously speculated, myself included, I think he will play a Mathis type character like Giancarlo Giannini. There may be some question about his loyalty (like Mathis in CR).... I don't see him as the main villain. Waltz has two oscars under his belt, so I think he will want something sufficiently different to his Basterd's turn (which will be very difficult to top, villain wise) and I think his role will have to be quite complex for him to have signed on. He will need to have his acting range tested given his lauded status, so the role is complex folks, & hopefully is recurring.

We have nothing to worry about with Mendes at the helm. Bond 24 is going to have wonderful characterisations (that's why they are casting actors of this calibre). They'd just better also have a logical plot this time (perhaps that's why all the rewrites).
    The thing is, allies are usually played by lesser known actors. For Fiennes it was different, but he was to become M and they needed someone with authority and stature to replace M. Waltz has more the profile of Bardem: relatively known veteran actor without being a big star, non British, etc. So my guess is that he will be a villain.

And it is still too early to tell, but there are some evidence he may be Blofeld, if the rumour is true.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm in 2 minds about this Blofeld thing. While it would be great to have him back, I'm not sure they'll go that route as it might besmirch the movie history of that character (and the previous Bond movies that have come before)..

I've been saying for some time that B24 has the potential to be this generation's Thunderball. I think that is what EON is shooting for with Seydoux potentially playing a Luciana Paluzzi Fiona Volpe type character (one of my all time fav's by the way).....

If that's the case, then Waltz maybe the behind the scenes top dog, with some other individual playing the main villain (i.e. Celli's Largo) who is dispatched.

If Mendes does not return (and I doubt he will) for B25, then EON likely will want to have some continuity of characters in order to build tension & excitement for B25... If that's the case, it may make sense to keep a recurring villain or have a big reveal at the end of B24 to boost interest in B25.

"I love speculating". This is getting interesting.