SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes! This is interesting. Looks good.
    It was also just posted on the production thread. How tall is he? I need to read more about him. :)
  • 6'6 apparently :-|
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited October 2014 Posts: 3,277
    Thanks @PanchitoPistoles. Things are getting into shape now. Looks like Bond will have a lot of troube with the giant Hinx. :D

dave_bautista-guardians_of_the_galaxy-6.jpg
    Damn, Dave Batista. He is.......big, large, very very tall. And I liked him a lot in "Guardians Of The Galaxy". Man, if it's true, I call this another masterpiece of casting. AND Batista brings some Marvel-fans to the Bond franchise. Also from a marketing perspective.....smart, very damn smart indeed.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Great choice. Craig needs someone to throw him around a bit. That picture of Bautista above reminds me of George Lazenby. Don't like the name Hinx though. Hopefully that's a placeholder name or something.
    Oh boy, every time this lady Frogatt is mentioned, I start hoping "no, please not" as there will be very little then for the boys to look at.

As for the henchman, wow, poor Bond. Good choice. Almost like Jaws. Bond will beva puppet compared to him.
    Even before they confirmed that they wanted big guy as henchman to the villain I wanted to see The Rock in Bond movie in a role like "Hinx"... 1 year later we have another wrestler in Bond movie..I still wish we would have seen Dwayne Johnson in a Bond movie but if the Batista rumours are true I guess he can do good in the role they have for him
    Damn, Dave Batista. He is.......big, large, very very tall. And I liked him a lot in "Guardians Of The Galaxy". Man, if it's true, I call this another masterpiece of casting. AND Batista brings some Marvel-fans to the Bond franchise. Also from a marketing perspective.....smart, very damn smart indeed.
    Oh wow I haven't thought like that..I guess that's why I am not movie executive lol
    Really liked him in Guardians. Looking forward to what he can bring to a Bond henchman role besides just being big though
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Interesting casting choice, a former WWE wrestler...
    Not familiar with his filmography, but he certainly looks the part...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited October 2014 Posts: 11,139
    Damn, they got Batista?? Wow, they weren't kidding when they wanted an iconic henchman to really throw down with Craig. This casting definitely means we're not going to get half arsed fights like we did with Patrice. Mendes and Smith, film and edit the fights beautifully so we can see this spectacle! Schneider's choreography for the fights should be shamazing! I'm a very happy man!

Its a shame Dwayne Johnson didn't get cast as he would have followed in his grandpa's footsteps but maybe he's too recognizable? Anyway, I am impressed so far with the way things are shaping up on the whole.

p.s. Mendes don't do anything stupid like have Batista break Bond's back and secondly, don't have the fights completely one sided. The fights should be vicious with Both Bond and Batista beating the crap out of each other with Batista getting the edge most of the time until the time comes for Bond to win. The fights should be a heightened version in terms of balance akin to the rock vs vin diesel in fast 5.
    RC7 wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    For those suggesting Lee Smith doesn't know how to cut action, you should perhaps consider that Nolan isn't exactly the master of shooting it. Smith can only work with the coverage provided. So if you want to lay the blame at anyone's door it is Nolan's first and foremost.

Actually I would blame both as Nolan as director has a shedload of imput on how the movie should look like. And an editor should tell the director if the material shot is enough or worthy enough. Both are involved in the end product I would say.

So Lee Smith says, 'Chris, that $1m action scene you just shot, you missed a couple of cutaways and your coverage isn't consistent. Can you do it again?' No. He makes the best job of it he can.

You are spot on RC7.

I spent over a decade working in the cutting rooms on some big pics and some small ones. I had the pleasure of assisting some top editors, like John Grover, John Shirley, Stu Linder etc. before also moving on to edit myself. Editors can only work with the material they are given - but I have seen some editors pull off miracles - turning badly staged scenes or inadequate coverage into strong sequences. One of the very best editors I worked with never managed to get out of the rut of small "B" movies or tv shows - a catch 22 because without "respectable" credits he could never get the break he deserved when in truth he was a master at - as we would say - turning crap into gold, but if you saw the films he cut - which were sometimes poorly scripted, acted, directed - you would never be able to guess, without actually witnessing him at work, what a remarkable job he had done with weak or even bad material.

Once asked about working with Martin Scorsese, his long time editor Thelma Schoonmaker said it was a joy because he produces such excellent material. Doesn't mean she doesn't work very hard and isn't a very fine and creative editor - she is - but she is also getting fantastic material to cut.

The reason why the very fast editing in OHMSS works so much better than the similar approach in QOS is because, with his years of editing experience, Peter Hunt carefully designed the fight and action, ski sequences so the material could be cut very hard and sharp (which was how he cut DN, FRWL etc.) but the audience would still be able to follow the action. However, QOS was relying far more on just lots of coverage (multiple camera set-ups etc.) which was then cut hard and fast - so the action had the speed of OHMSS but not the clarity.

Lee Smith is a very good editor and he'll do a brilliant job.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Craig...

...fighting Bautista? Wow. I want B24 now, please. Those fights are going to be insane. I just hope Mendes does a better job with them and doesn't turn them into a boring mess. Make them gritty, make them raw, make Bond get thrown around a lot before he finally destroys him.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Very interesting news regarding the henchman casting, he certainly looks, for the lack of a better word, imposing ;) I still think "Hinx" is a placeholder name, they would name a character on a casting call.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Craig...

...fighting Bautista? Wow. I want B24 now, please. Those fights are going to be insane. I just hope Mendes does a better job with them and doesn't turn them into a boring mess. Make them gritty, make them raw, make Bond get thrown around a lot before he finally destroys him.

I'm afraid "Bond 24" will cause as much as promotional stirr as "Skyfall" did back in 2011/2012 when Javier Bardem was cast :-P. And this time around Golden Palm-winner Léa Seydoux ánd a hugely popular actor from the Marvel-franchise (who will continue playing Drax -nice little Bond-touch ;-)- in "Guardians 2"), Mr Dave Bautista.

Add to that Oscar-nominated cinematographer, Dutchman Hoyte van Hoytema ("Her", "Interstellar"), and two time Oscar-nominated editor Lee Smith ("The Dark Knight", "Inception"), and one can understand why I'm acting like a delirious little kid on these forums :-P!!

It seems that 1 Billion Dollar mark made Barbara & Michael hungry for a repeat of that tremendous success.
    I thought the actor playing The Mountain was going to have it. Well, it is now safe to say we will have our big bad henchman.
  • ColonelSun wrote: »
    You are spot on RC7.
    And the same could be said about some weird VFX in big blockbusters movie. Because sometimes there's no one with actual knowledge of VFX on set when they shoot it, and the VFX guys receive a shot with tennis balls in the frame where the director wants the VFX monsters. And then they have no basics info to work upon to make a successful VFX effect on a reasonable budget.

Yes, I know some here believe everything is scripted and storyboarded in advance in blockbusters, that such thing is nonsense, but I have actually seen this on a very big budget movie. And I've heard even weirder things.

About Lea Seydoux, I could not find the old meme. She is the granddaughter of a movie tycoon here in France, and well, she seems to have the possibility to be on every classy French magazine if she wants to. A few years ago she was all over the "hype" media, that there was memes about it.

So back to hibernation. I read the older messages, it's a bit what I expected (IMDB CV borefest, not much actual opinion to discuss, IMO)

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I do think Hinx is a placeholder name, truly. It is just too much like Jinx and silly.

It was quite interesting to read your input on editing, @ColonelSun, especially of course because of your personal work in that part of filmmaking. I appreciate your comparison of OHMSS and QOS, too; that makes sense.
    LR is a source one should take with huge grains of salt.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Wow, you turn away for a couple of days and we get news like Lea Seydoux cast in a Bond girl role. Splendid choice I must say.
    And now Dave Bautista as a possible casting for the henchmen role. Again, very good casting. Loved him as Drax in GOTG.
    I'm hoping we get a fight similar to the classic Raider Of The Lost Ark fight.

Bond 24. You have already got my attention.
  • I really love the casting of Bautista, granted he isn't the most exciting casting to wake up to (also after the success of 'Guardians of the Galaxy, Bautista was the most obvious choice given the casting brief). He stole all the scenes he was in for 'Guardians' so I guess the dude can do comedy but I'm looking forward to seeing him kick seven shades of Sunday out of Daniel Craig.

dave-bautista.jpg

And if anyone doubted Latino Review just look at the video, it's clear the scooper has a lot of respect from the right people in Hollywood. This news is solid: Bautista is 100% in Bond 24 (there is even word about Seydoux at around 4.30 in the video discussing how the Schmoes Know website were the first to drop the rumour):

Bautista and Seydoux are great names to join Bond 24 but from the little we know they are supporting fodder. We still don't know anything about the lead characters yet. I'm intrigued by the prosepct of an A-list actress joining the film. Who could it be?

Angelina Jolie?
    Rachel Wesiz?
    Scarlet Johansson?
    Charlize Theron?
    Keira Knightley? (I hope this one is true)

1612932-keira-knightley-en-valentino-a-la-950x0-2.jpg
    Batista is defiantly a great choice. Also Also haha thats sucks for the Rock because The Rock as said he has always wanted to be in a Bond film since his Grandfather was in You Only Live Twice. Good for Batista. Cant wait to see him and Craig battle it out.

Who would you guys rather have seen? Batista or the Rock?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Now, take a look at this!!:
    10609558_736608256388682_1293736485034597497_n.jpg?oh=56477afc52592b43963d55d0cb380f0e&oe=54F2D1C8

Posted by a friend in James Bond-magasinet (from Norway). He is in the MIPCOM of Cannes where entities like MGM or Sony are in some kind of market. Read more (if you can): http://www.archivo007.com/index.php/noticias/bond-24/1568-primer-poster-de-bond-24
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    A teaser of the teaser? :D
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Remember that scene where Rosa Klebb violently punched Grant in his stomach with her "thumb screw". I loved it. I can see Lea doing similar to Dave ;-).
    lotte1.jpg

By the way, in all honesty, Rosa Klebb is MY favourite "Bond girl" of all time. Butch, lesbian, ugly, not too young, psychotic and lovely "all over the place kicks" :-). And Lotte Lenya was a marvellous stage actress. All Bond fans must see her role in "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone" (1962) that gave her the first Oscar nomination. And because of that role, "Cubby" got interested in casting her for FRWL.

I also remember the torture scene in LALD where Tee Hee threatens to cut off Bond's little finger. Wouldn't it be great if "Hinx" does that in real to -let's say- 008 or 004? A refined, nuanced bit of gore in Bond 24 would add to the menacing and psychotic traits of the man.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited October 2014 Posts: 2,057
    What would Dave Barista's main wepon be?

Poisoning Bond's coffee, of course.

:D
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Damn, they got Batista?? Wow, they weren't kidding when they wanted an iconic henchman to really throw down with Craig. This casting definitely means we're not going to get half arsed fights like we did with Patrice. Mendes and Smith, film and edit the fights beautifully so we can see this spectacle! Schneider's choreography for the fights should be shamazing! I'm a very happy man!

Its a shame Dwayne Johnson didn't get cast as he would have followed in his grandpa's footsteps but maybe he's too recognizable? Anyway, I am impressed so far with the way things are shaping up on the whole.

p.s. Mendes don't do anything stupid like have Batista break Bond's back and secondly, don't have the fights completely one sided. The fights should be vicious with Both Bond and Batista beating the crap out of each other with Batista getting the edge most of the time until the time comes for Bond to win. The fights should be a heightened version in terms of balance akin to the rock vs vin diesel in fast 5.
    To me Dwayne has too much charisma to just spend it on a silent tough guy.

I would definitelly like to see him in some role..maybe he can help Bond as he is really likeable in some of the future movies.

He can have some great banter with Craig.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    After looking at a tonne of pics and re-reading what little info/rumours we have, i think Froggatt is going to be the leading lady.

The main Bond girl will be an A-list actress.

Which would be another step in the wrong direction. The beauty of the Bond franchise has always been,that it doesn't need to be an all star ensemble to work. Each and every star on the hiring list (doesn't matter on what side of the camera ) just means less money for locations and all the other stuff I (and I suppose many others ) associate with Bond movies.

You are really living your fandom, don't you?
    Also am I the only one who is not heads over heels over Batista's casting ?

I mean he will be fine in the role of a silent tough guy, I can imagine him as a mix of oddjob (minus the hat) and the look of Dolph Lundgren in AVTAK. Just talking a little and doing all the job when his boss tels him to do. I only care about the main villain..if the Batista thing is 100% done than I guess the main villain will be some one who will be sort of like Connery's villains. Just casual guy doing bussines and ruling the things behind the desk. I am not sure how I like that but I really wonder who they will cast as the main villain.

As I am writing this I got an idea of them casting Cumberbatch. I want him to be like all goody with Bond and invite him for a game of poker/shooting at a shooting range/even fencing or something sort of like that golf game in GF.

What are the latest villain rumours ?