SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    Per Hallberg said today that he will return as soundeditor for 24 in a swedish radio show.
    It's in swedish but still:
    http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt?programid=2151

Listen from 1:13:37

Interesting, didn't know there were that many Swedish people involved. But, I'm glad there is.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Per Hallberg said today that he will return as soundeditor for 24 in a swedish radio show.
    It's in swedish but still:
    http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt?programid=2151

Listen from 1:13:37

This is shaping up nicely. We are getting confirmation of technical crew members almost every day now.
  • @Suivez_ce_parachute Stop spreading bullshit!

And you, stop claiming you know the agenda of this production. Like 99% of all of us here, you'll know a lot about Bond 24 only about 2 hours after the gunbarrel appears on screen.

You claim you have some insider info ? Then tell us why Deakins is not returning. I have hearsay, but I can't give any source, and frankly it would be "bullshit discussion" this time for sure...
    I doubt he considers a Swedish movie (no matter how big it is) a more important project for himself than movies like Interstellar and Bond 24.
    [/quote]

And now you consider you live in the head of Hoyte Von Hoytema. You live in delusion.

Re-read what I wrote about The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. "Everyone" thought it was a well documented story until now... Movie production is not the straightforward business you seem to think it is. I know some people here judge a movie by box-office return and IMDB notes, but it doesn't work that way.

• I think it are the fans who are rating CR much higher than SF. Mostly because for them it lacks a lot of "typical" Bond elements (a typical story from A to B, typical Bond music, typical Bond locations).
    .. thanks to live in the head of all the fans too !
    You forgot the part about one of the two movies using a Ian Fleming story btw...

Then tell us why Deakins is not returning

Easiest thing in the world.

"I loved working Sam Mendes on Skyfall, I probably wouldn't have done a Bond movie with anybody else. He had a different take on it and I think that film was far more character driven and that's what drew me to it.

I turned down working on the next Bond film. I was really torn. I would have loved to work with Sam again but I just didn't feel I could bring anything really new to it. I'd really like to see someone else have the opportunity."

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26987466
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    you'll know a lot about Bond 24 only about 2 hours after the gunbarrel appears on screen.

You sure about that? After the last two GB shambles I'm going in with zero expectation of the GB being in the right place - and even if it is I would say there's only about a 1% chance of them reverting to the classic design of the Brozza era rather than persisting with the dismal new design EON seem hell bent on inflicting on us.
    Just get Blofeld back plus snow locations plus classic henchman and we have another golden age Bond film on our hands, maybe even on a par with CR and SF. And I dont even caree where the gun barrel goes!
  • LeChiffre wrote: »
    Just get Blofeld back plus snow locations plus classic henchman and we have another golden age Bond film on our hands, maybe even on a par with CR and SF. And I dont even caree where the gun barrel goes!

Hear hear!! Tata :-D!! I agree full 300% :-).
    I'd love to see the gunbarrel right in the middle of the movie. That would be unexpected.
  • LeChiffre wrote: »

Some might argue,that 2 of the 3 films in which Blofeld appeared "completely" aren't exactly highlights of the franchise. Also a snow hunt doesn't seem like a panacea for an incoherent rest.
  • RC7RC7
    LeChiffre wrote: »

Yeah, because it's definitely that simple.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    LeChiffre wrote: »

Sounds like Fan Service the movie. Yeah let's just take a page out of Star Trek: Into Darkness. Shall we reboot Tracy too and have her get killed again? After all you can't have Blofeld without Tracy to be killed by him. Ugh. Not this Blofeld crap again. 8-|
  • I think the problem with these kind of scenes nowadays - and I include Inception in this- is that they lack a sense of danger. OHMSS was superb because it is a stripped back exercise in action. There are three components - sweeping aerial cinematography, the visceral mid shots and close ups from Willy Bogner and a pulsing score. As soon as you start throwing in vehicles and explosions left, right and centre it vapourises any sense of threat.

My biggest worry with anything along these lines is the inevitably of CGI. It has to be done for real IMO.

I agree with you here completely, @RC7. I fear somewhat for the future of action sequences in the Bond franchise. CGI can be both a wonderful and a terrible thing, but it really has not been put to the best use in the James Bond films so far. Compare the free fall in Moonraker's PTS with the free fall of Bond and Camille in Quantum of Solace. There is absolute zero tension or thrill in the latter because the actors are so obviously hovering safely in front of a green screen. Compare Silva's mess of a face with the shiny reveal of Jaws' grin or the gulf of genuine suspense between seeing Bond surrounded by live crocodiles versus seeing Bond surrounded by animated komodo dragons. There is no comparison between something somebody drew in a computer and the real deal (unless of course you can make your CGI Jurassic Park-quality, but with few exceptions, the Bond films really haven't been hitting that mark). So in short, it's practical effects and real stunts or bust...for me, at least.

As for the winter setting, I am all for making Bond 24 a modern-day OHMSS. Not in the sense of bringing back Blofeld (I think that's territory future Bond films will need to tread carefully upon, if at all), but in the sense of making a grand, memorable winter-set film that exudes all the atmosphere of the season. The kind of film you just want to throw on in front of a crackling fireplace with a mug of hot cocoa. Yes, Skyfall was a dark film with the night scenes in Shanghai and the overcast skies of London and Scotland (and the overall darker and murkier tone of the film), but I don't think the opposite of this is necessarily Bond in the Bahamas. We can get a great, wintry Bond film that is also full of brightness and sunshine and that still shows Bond living life to the fullest.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh, I especially agree with what you said here, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero ~

As for the winter setting, I am all for making Bond 24 a modern-day OHMSS. Not in the sense of bringing back Blofeld (I think that's territory future Bond films will need to tread carefully upon, if at all), but in the sense of making a grand, memorable winter-set film that exudes all the atmosphere of the season. The kind of film you just want to throw on in front of a crackling fireplace with a mug of hot cocoa. Yes, Skyfall was a dark film with the night scenes in Shanghai and the overcast skies of London and Scotland (and the overall darker and murkier tone of the film), but I don't think the opposite of this is necessarily Bond in the Bahamas. We can get a great, wintry Bond film that is also full of brightness and sunshine and that still shows Bond living life to the fullest.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Oh, I especially agree with what you said here, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero ~

Heartily agree.

Obviously a Bond film needs to have more than one location so first half hour in Italy for the sun worshippers and then relocate to the Alps for the rest would do me very nicely.

The main point is that wherever we end up they actually shoot on location not like the Shanghai scenes in SF - a few establishing shots by the 2nd unit and then the rest a set and done with CGI. Awful.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Nice interview for all Dutch Bond fans with Hoyte van Hoytema:
    http://cinema.nl/media/7358407/cinematv-22-hoyte-van-hoytema-cameraman

And he's quite clear on the question if he still feels Dutch, after he was born in Switzerland to Dutch parents, then moved to Netherlands, then studying in Poland, where he finally started working in Sweden and now the USA:

Van Hoytema: "Yes, yes, to be honest full 100%. Well, I never work in The Netherlands, but I am fully Dutch, who accidentally worked a lot abroad."

Hoytema also says: "I always tried very hard to choose the best film projects. And that choice is not only based on a very good screenplay, but most importantly that choice has to do with what kind of director you're going to work together with, and what kind of chemistry there is between cinematographer and director."

The more and more I'm reading and listening to interviews with van Hoytema, the more I'm beginning to think that Babs & Michael contracted one hell of a fantastic cinematographer. He's the per-fecttt follow-up to Roger Deakins. And whereas Roberto Schaefer (filmed flopped teenager sci-fi-film "The Host") and Phil Meheux (whose newest projects are "Spongebob", "The Smurfs 2" and "Edge Of Darkness" :-S...really) are more focussed on larger budget action movies or movies for kids/teenagers, van Hoytema is slightly more critical when he chooses projects.

There needs to be variation on his CV, he openly admits that. And when you take into account that his latest projects, "Interstellar", "Her", "The Fighter" and "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy", have all been critically acclaimed....and loaded with Oscar- and BAFTA-nominations, then I think we should make a deep, deep, long bow in front of Barbara, Michael & Sam (perhaps Daniel Craig too).

Man, am I looking forward to Bond 24 now :-O.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Urgh, @Gustav you sound like you're about to drop your pants and bend over. Relax. Yeah, we're all excited but let's not start putting people on pedestals.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2014 Posts: 17,691
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Relax. Yeah, we're all excited but let's not start putting people on pedestals.
    Agreed.
  • Obviously a Bond film needs to have more than one location.

Why? Dr. No, Thunderball and You Only Live Twice did pretty well with that. Gives you more of a change to explore that country and soak up the local atmosphere.

As stunning as the Shanghai sequence in Skyfall was, I would've liked to have seen more. There's more to the city than high-risers and neon expressways.

• chrisisall wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Relax. Yeah, we're all excited but let's not start putting people on pedestals.
    Agreed.

Does it irritate you guys?

I don't think anyone feels it's irritating.

I just hope we won't see too much modern shaky cam in B24.
  • Pajan005 wrote: »

I don't think anyone feels it's irritating.

I just hope we won't see too much modern shaky cam in B24.

Off course not. I think, cinematography-wise, Bond 24 will feel like an extension of Deakins' work. Van Hoytema is, like I said, careful with choosing his projects. He considers every project as a piece of art, in which screenplay, director, cameramen (remember, in many cases the director of photography has got many muscled assistants who actually hold the camera's) and producers work very closely together.
    Off course not. I think, cinematography-wise, Bond 24 will feel like an extension of Deakins' work. Van Hoytema is, like I said, careful with choosing his projects. He considers every project as a piece of art, in which screenplay, director, cameramen (remember, in many cases the director of photography has got many muscled assistants who actually hold the camera's) and producers work very closely together.

Allright. That's comforting. I do believe that it will look good, perhaps even better SF. Time can only tell.

• RC7RC7
    Hoytema also says: "I always tried very hard to choose the best film projects. And that choice is not only based on a very good screenplay, but most importantly that choice has to do with what kind of director you're going to work together with, and what kind of chemistry there is between cinematographer and director."

Hardly the most enlightening titbit. What else is he going say, 'I look for mediocre screenplays and, if possible, a director for whom my feelings are ambivalent'?

The guy is a talent, hence Nolan's quick work in getting him in as Pfister's replacement. Barbara and Michael clearly have an affinity for Nolan, his work, and his sensibilities, so it was the next logical step. They can piggy-back off 'Interstellar' when then announce B24, so it's win-win.

As for whether he's the best choice, well the proof is in the pudding. I've no doubt in my mind that the framing and composition will echo much of what Mendes did in SF, very little handheld, quite expansive, a lot of memorable wides, with a little more experimentation this time. It would be nice to think Van Hoytema has some ingenious camera set-ups in his back pocket.

My one reservation is in the colour palette and contrast. Of his films that I've seen, there seems to be a level of saturation to most of his shots that I don't believe would suit the glossy nature of a Bond. I don't want it to look like a heavily filtered indie flick, I'd like him to crush the blacks a bit more and add the level of vividness that should be a pre-requisite of a Bond picture.

I've no doubt that this will look somewhat different from his previous films and I would not be in the least bit surprised if he went back to the work of Moore and Reed for inspiration.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm happy with him being on board and I hope he enjoys the ride, as well as bringing some gorgeous cinematography. I'm looking forward to his take on Bond 24, whatever color palette and contrast, etc. he decides on.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 3,169
    As for the winter setting, I am all for making Bond 24 a modern-day OHMSS. Not in the sense of bringing back Blofeld (I think that's territory future Bond films will need to tread carefully upon, if at all), but in the sense of making a grand, memorable winter-set

Probably not gonna happen

"The small and picturesque mountain town of Obertilliach in Austria is set to become the location for three days of filming in January."
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-24-report-20140820-austria-locations

Three days.... sounds like a PTS to me.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    As for the winter setting, I am all for making Bond 24 a modern-day OHMSS. Not in the sense of bringing back Blofeld (I think that's territory future Bond films will need to tread carefully upon, if at all), but in the sense of making a grand, memorable winter-set

Probably not gonna happen

"The small and picturesque mountain town of Obertilliach in Austria is set to become the location for three days of filming in January."
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-24-report-20140820-austria-locations

Three days.... sounds like a PTS to me.

What I said all along. But everybody is so keen on having a Winter Bond, that they just won't let go. Time will tell anyay...we will get pieces and bits now more regularely and maybe things cear up a bit.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2014 Posts: 4,446
    Someone like Hoytema you expect earlier for Skyfall or The Dark Knight, based on some pictures of ''Her'' look very much on Shangai/Elevator style from Skyfall. A style i hate moost of the time, i only like the moment when Bond sitting at the bar. But Skyfall be shot digital, if it is true there go back to film, then it mabey look better.

her+film.jpg

But i think the art directers wil be very inportent for DOP too. Because i also get feeling he mabey fit better with Dennis Gassner production design den Deakins.

59c5b321c355540f53a79ec6499eb446_1395837348_medium.jpg

Joaquin_Phoenix_Her.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

But moost exited iam about the picture's from ''Låt den rätte komma in'' QOS style.

LTROI_1.jpg
    http://bwdrmagazine.com/brightwalldarkroom/let-the-right-one-in-l-t-den-r-tte-komma-in-2008
    BTW - 3 days in Feldkirch for QOS made for ..how many seconds in the film? Oh yes, Bond drove through on wet streets.
  • RC7RC7
    M_Balje wrote: »

But moost exited iam about the picture's from ''Låt den rätte komma in'' QOS style.

LTROI_1.jpg
    http://bwdrmagazine.com/brightwalldarkroom/let-the-right-one-in-l-t-den-r-tte-komma-in-2008

Let The Right One In is an oustanding piece of work.