It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

"Completely superior" is wild exaggeration, but I'm also pleasantly surprised by the English attitude today. They are actually going for it, not only absorbing preassure inside their own half. Keep it coming!

Matt_Helm wrote:
    So far the Brits are the complete superior team. I' m quite surprised.

It's England not the "Brits". Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland aren't involved.
    Cooked and served Classic Italian Style!
  • Pirlo is a genius even without the ball ! :)
    Sorry? What was that? I couldn't quite hear. ;-)
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Ah, how I love this Italian midfield! Pirlo, De Rossi, Verratti and Marchisio on the field together. Fantastic! Proper football with proper footballers!
  • i'm so nervous, i'm flicking through babestation and bbc1...great goal from liverpool....get in
    Best first half of the World Cup so far. Brilliant from both sides.
    This is stressful, Pirlo is a rolls royce!
    Pirlo is a genius. The Botticelli of football.
  • Pirlo is the Garry Glitter of Football. Sneaks up from behind and puts it between your legs.
    Pirlo frustrates me! I have been a huge fan since I first saw him play for Milan in 2004. And I used to be in the elitist minority of those who understood his excellence. Now he is suddenly mainstream, and everyone's praising him. It's not so fun anymore... But it is interesting that it had to take a 'Panenka penalty' for the world to finally realize how brilliant he is.
    Oh bugger.
    Looks like Balo is not good enough for English football. ;)
  • Andrea+Pirlo+Italy+Training+Session+Press+7Wloqg54Iedl.jpg
    Bring'em on.
  • jobo wrote:
    But it is interesting that it had to take a 'Panenka penalty' for the world to finally realize how brilliant he is.
    I think it has more to do with proving you can be brilliant on the pitch without running like Usain Bolt. England players are running a lot :)
  • oh dear...
    jobo wrote:
    But it is interesting that it had to take a 'Panenka penalty' for the world to finally realize how brilliant he is.
    I think it has more to do with proving you can be brilliant on the pitch without running like Usain Bolt. England players are running a lot :)

He is really the impersonation of a creative director ( and obviously got style in abundance too)!
    Rooney you plonker!
    jobo wrote:

Nah. Johan Cruyff proved that ages ago. Not that the English would notice though... ;)

But it is true that the current Pirlo-mania really took off after that quarter final with England two years ago.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Johan Cruyff proved that at a time where you didn't have an opponent player in your feet 1.5 seconds after touching the ball.. Not the same game at all IMO.

And now we see a 19 yo with cramps !
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am trying to follow this but cannot view it - so score updates would be appreciated, gents! And ladies. :)

(P.S. I well remember Cruyff: one of my favorite players)
    Johan Cruyff proved that at a time where you didn't have an opponent player in your feet 1.5 seconds after touching the ball.. Not the same game at all.

That for me sounds very similar to what Pirlo does today...
    Just found a spot on Yahoo (I don't like Yahoo, but ...) and it seems it is giving the score as England 1, Italy 2: is that up to date?
    I am trying to follow this but cannot view it - so score updates would be appreciated, gents! And ladies. :)

(P.S. I well remember Cruyff: one of my favorite players)

Italy leads 2-1 with 20 minutes left. And I'm so happy to hear you are another Cruyff fan! :) For me there's no greater player in the history of football.
  • And England has only 9.5 players :) (Gerrad can't walk on the pitch, and the young attacker has cramps)
    I grew up watching soccer (strangely enough, on PBS mostly) on TV. I was able to see some of Cruyff; don't remember which matches but I remember his style and that I liked him so much. I was really surprised by the Spain-Netherlands match but happy that the Netherlands won.

Yeah, I may be a late middle aged soon to retire Kindergarten teacher ... but I played soccer for 12 years and coached youth amateur league for 10 years. It is still my favorite sport. I usually say "soccer" because that is how I grew up with the sport, but I am happy with saying "football" too, I just don't think to say it first. So don't jump down my throat, dear rest of the world. :D
    Even if we lose tonight, which is looking likely, there's far more to be positive about than four years ago. We've played much better than we did through the whole of South Africa.
  • But can you see this team winning against Uruguay and Costa Rica, they seem to have left many forces in this match, and Italy is not exactly an athletic team.
    But can you see this team winning against Uruguay and Costa Rica, they seem to have left many forces in this match, and Italy is not exactly an athletic team.

We'll score goals against both those side but it depends whether we can keep them out at the other end.
This discussion has been closed.