Skyfall Considered the Most Overated film of all.

Comments

• Ludovico wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Still, of all time. I understand movie appreciation is subjective, but film criticism has to go beyond one's own subjectivity. And to consider a film historically overrated, one needs to have a notion of history of cinema. Which this critique seem to lack.

Yeah I don't agree either, but y'know, freedom of the press.

I didn't say the guy should be censored. I said what he freely says is rubbish.

you should be running for syrian prime minister.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The only one on this list that I agree with is 'Slumdog Millionaire.' That film received so much praise and so many Oscars, and when I finally saw it, I was eager for it to end. Terrible, overrated film.

I also love how Nicholson is a 'negative' when 'The Departed' is brought up. I thought he was fantastic in the film, just so explosive and scary because you never knew what he was going to do or figure out next.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,189
    To be honest I always groan a bit when I hear the "O" word.

Hmm...reading that back that sounds like it could be taken another way.

You get what I mean.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    To be honest I always groan a bit when I hear the "O" word.

Orgasm? Well you would groan. ;-)
    Ludovico wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Still, of all time. I understand movie appreciation is subjective, but film criticism has to go beyond one's own subjectivity. And to consider a film historically overrated, one needs to have a notion of history of cinema. Which this critique seem to lack.

In the words of Kristatos in Fleming's "Risico," "Exact."

Ludovico wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

you should be running for syrian prime minister.

Quid? He has the right to consider Skyfall the most overrated movie of all time. Of all time. And I have the right to say that this is absolutely ludicrous.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The most over-rated movie OF ALL TIME is clearly Titanic.
    (sorry James, it's really not that great)
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,534
    chrisisall wrote:

In terms of James, I'd put 'Avatar' in. Amazing visuals, aaaaand that's it.

Speaking of, just saw this article...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/12/overrated-movies_n_5481916.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'd disagree to a degree there; it had a very hypnotic & fantastical quality, like a Japanese Anime come to life. Over-rated YES, but not by SO much IMO.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Matrix still impresses me with its impossible Treknobabble & Kung Fu...
    But Gravity?
    PLEASE> it's a visually nice flick with a recycled 70's disaster story set in space. Armageddon was a MUCH better movie in that respect.

As stuff goes in the world of "over-rated" movies, Skyfall doesn't even register IMO.

@chrisisall, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, as I loved 'Gravity' and hated 'Armageddon.' Never thought a movie about someone floating in space and trying to survive could scare me, but it did. One complaint, though, is that it's another movie where pretty much everything bad that can happen, does. Those can get old.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2014 Posts: 16,333
    I thought Both movies were pretty forgettable. Gravity was as boring as 2001. Both had great Special effects and visuals but that alone doesn't make a good movie.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @chrisisall, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, as I loved 'Gravity' and hated 'Armageddon.' Never thought a movie about someone floating in space and trying to survive could scare me, but it did.
    Oh yeah, it was very effective, but I like character, and I had a lot more fun learning about the characters in Armageddon, and felt real sadness at Harry's sacrifice.
    I found quite a few movies brilliant when I was younger and they failed to be enjoyable when I was older or I get caught in a melancholic mood when it comes to my Younger years.

Anytime there is a big movie it is bound to get a backlash, especially on the internet. If that makes a movie overrated I do not know. But I have yet to see a objective way of measuring that.

I do find that sometimes movies that are recommended to me are just not as good as promised, but that is my taste. I saw the new Conan and the latest Riddick and they satisfied me a lot and others felt cheated. So be it.

Any time a critic does write a list of overrated or critically acclaimed movies/music/books they tend to be his personal taste and if well argued I might listen/watch or read it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/12/overrated-movies_n_5481916.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

I consider Titanic more overrated than Avatar, mainly because it received so many Oscars. At least the Academy was more restrained with Avatar. People seemed to think Titanic was Citizen Kane at the time.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Ludovico wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

I consider Titanic more overrated than Avatar, mainly because it received so many Oscars. At least the Academy was more restrained with Avatar. People seemed to think Titanic was Citizen Kane at the time.

Ha, I know what you mean. I really liked Titanic when it came out and I remember the buzz it had in 1997. However I watched it again a couple of years ago and, while the spectacle is impressive, its corny as hell at times.

Incidently I remember when I saw Honor Blackman (who was in A Night to Remember) and she heavily implied that she wasn't a fan of Cameron's film.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Ha, I know what you mean. I really liked Titanic when it came out and I remember the buzz it had in 1997. However I watched it again a couple of years ago and, while the spectacle is impressive, its corny as hell at times.

Incidently I remember when I saw Honor Blackman (who was in A Night to Remember) and she heavily implied that she wasn't a fan of Cameron's film.

But at the time of the release of both movies they were very well received by a very diverse audience, instead of a certain part of an audience.

Actually I find it very impressive how both Titanic & Avatar had such a broad appeal. And it cannot be a coincidence that both movies came from the same director, he must know something a lot of directors do not.

That said both movies are at their best at the cinema, big screen gives them the gravitas a lot of movie do not have. And a lot of people visited these two movies because they recognized the value of these movies in their best environment: the cinema.

The critics might have gone overboard with some of the prizes, even if the awards for music and effect for Titanic are well deserved, and the effects and 3D of Avatar was groundbreaking, the general audience pulled their wallets and made it known that big cinema spectacle is still very welcome. And that it is still an art to make such epics that everybody likes, the fan boys with their downloads be damned.
    Cameron knows how to manipulate the public, plain and simple. I find his movies to be mostly technical achievements, but otherwise pretty thin on content and overrated. In fact, I often find his movies overrated in their respective genres.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Cameron knows how to manipulate the public, plain and simple. I find his movies to be mostly technical achievements, but otherwise pretty thin on content and overrated. In fact, I often find his movies overrated in their respective genres.

You find them overrated, and then looking back as well.

Camerons' movies are mostly real events and he gradually build up that reputation. Everybody was highly skeptical of both Titanic & Avatar when they were released, and the amount of bums in the theater came mostly from mouth to mouth advertisement when the movie got going. My mother did see both movies and loved them and when it comes to Avatar she does not even enjoy scifi, but saw it as a fairlytale in 3D. Watching movies is more about enjoyment and perception than something objective,

I generally look at other peoples movie lists to see if there is anything I have yet to see and have missed, but on my terms. Otherwise I would have stopped seeing 007 movies a long time ago as they a generally not considered high cinema art. And frankly my dear I do not give a damn. ( and there is an epic movie for you as well, quite impressive but not quite my cup of tea.)
    I think Cameron CAN be a very good director. I maintain Terminator's 1 and 2 are great films. Stuff like True Lies and Aliens are the best types of popcorn entertainment. Well made, exciting and with good performances.

BUT he has been guilty of putting style over substance as he did with Avatar.
    BAIN123 wrote:

And NOBODY does it better. :D

BAIN123 wrote:
    I think Cameron CAN be a very good director. I maintain Terminator's 1 and 2 are great films. Stuff like True Lies and Aliens are the best types of popcorn entertainment. Well made, exciting and with good performances.

The first Terminator was very good, a neat little paranoid sci fi thriller. The second one was technically interesting, but merely a repeat of the first one, with better fx and Arnold as the good guy.

But sure, he makes entertaining movies. I enjoyed Avatar. But I'm glad it didn't win best picture because it didn't deserve it. And Titanic didn't deserve it either.
    Who wins the Best Picture Oscar is every year controversial, rarely in this age of internet is there an consensus on the winner.
    Hurt Locker was pretty much consensual,if only because it beat Avatar.
    I think the one thing we must respect is that it is the personal opinion of this journalist, and should not be taken as if he has stated it as fact.

It is opinion offered as expertise, given added weight because it appears in a newspaper.
    If you mean 'respect' as acknowledge, I concur. But I am under no obligation to respect his opinion, given the traditional meaning of the word 'respect.' That said, no disrespect or ill-will intended.
    CrabKey wrote:
    I think the one thing we must respect is that it is the personal opinion of this journalist, and should not be taken as if he has stated it as fact.

It is opinion offered as expertise, given added weight because it appears in a newspaper.
    If you mean 'respect' as acknowledge, I concur. But I am under no obligation to respect his opinion, given the traditional meaning of the word 'respect.' That said, no disrespect or ill-will intended.

I knew this journalist who had a certain expertise in arthouse movies but that did not stop him from publishing loads of rubbish opinion pieces based upon his own personal opinion and not based upon any expertise. And he was certainly not alone in this.

There are only a few critics I listen too, and that does not mean I agree but they often have something interesting to say and add something to a discussion.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Interesting rubbish is always interesting, but still rubbish.

One mans rubbish is another ones treasure, ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SaintMark wrote:

One mans rubbish is another ones treasure, ;)

As is evident if you have ever read anything here or anywhere else. Well said.
    Ludovico wrote:
    The second one was technically interesting, but merely a repeat of the first one, with better fx and Arnold as the good guy.
    Dude! Spoiler!!

:))
    Yes, terrible spoilers, sorry. Anyway, T2 was overrated. Not a bad movie, but not the sci fi masterpiece some people think it was at the time, or think it is still.