Skyfall Considered the Most Overated film of all.

Comments

Ludovico wrote: »

Actually, the question is: is SF THE most overrated movie of all time?

And it is a resounding no.

For me that label is stupid anyhow as there will never be a consensus on a field that has so much options.

Is SF overrated, Yes, I would say so based upon my opinion.

And there are plenty of overrated movies around IMHO.

I think the article was fair comment when it came out. At that time the hype around SF was absurd. The article was just a response to what was going on at the time, when SF really did seem to be massively overrated by so many people.

The dust has settled a little bit now though.

I think "SKYFALL" is one of the most overrated Bond movies I have ever seen.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Two years without a post that needed to be dug up for that? It could have gone here.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2689/controversial-opinions-about-bond-films#latest
    SF is good film. It may have some glaring plot holes but I rank it very high.
    I find it satisfying that the article recommended Dalton's first film as better entertainment. I think Dalton gets way too little credit and I like both of his films. Though he only did two, both are satisfying.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I find it satisfying that the article recommended Dalton's first film as better entertainment. I think Dalton gets way too little credit and I like both of his films. Though he only did two, both are satisfying.

Correct. Skyfall is a good film but both Dalton's efforts are better.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The moment SF was considered a greater cinematic effort than CR, it was already overrated. And I say this as a huge fan of the movie.
    The moment SF was considered a greater cinematic effort than CR, it was already overrated. And I say this as a huge fan of the movie.

I agree, but the article makes a ridiculous claim that is never backed up. The most overrated movie of all time? Heck, it's not even the most overrated movie of Sam Mendes, of the decade, maybe not even of the year.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    OHMSS69 wrote: »

Correct. Skyfall is a good film but both Dalton's efforts are better.

Eh, uh...no.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I agree, but the article makes a ridiculous claim that is never backed up. The most overrated movie of all time? Heck, it's not even the most overrated movie of Sam Mendes, of the decade, maybe not even of the year.

I didn't know it was ranked as #1. Yeah, that's obviously bogus. Making claims of the most overrated, worst, best of film out of 70 plus years of movies full of so many genres and changes in the cinematic order of making movies complicates being truly objective or fair in judgement, and in the end it simply makes no sense to bother. Let's just enjoy films, not rank them in pointless lists.
    I could name a dozen films out of the top of my head that I consider far more overrated. they might be better than SF for all I know, but they are far more overrated. Forrest Gump, The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, Avatar, Titanic...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You all know how I feel about SF, but the most overrated film of ALL time? No way.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm sorry. Inception, Network and The Departed are on that list, which implies an immediate loss of credibility before Skyfall is even mentioned. This hack is obviously out of ideas.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm sorry. Inception, Network and The Departed are on that list, which implies an immediate loss of credibility before Skyfall is even mentioned. This hack is obviously out of ideas.

The Departed I don't disagree with, but the others are more than worthy, especially Network, as its message about media and what we're fed is so relevant more and more each day. And Inception is a blockbuster with brains, so there you go.
    It should have been titled "The 10 most overrated movies I saw" or better: "The 10 most overrated movies I remember watching".
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883

The Departed I don't disagree with, but the others are more than worthy, especially Network, as its message about media and what we're fed is so relevant more and more each day. And Inception is a blockbuster with brains, so there you go.
    I quite enjoyed The Departed. Not Scorsese's best by any means (and I realize the premise was based on Infernal Affairs), but an entertaining enough thriller and in my view the best of that kind since Heat in 1995 or LA Confidential in 1997. Whether it should have won best picture or best director is another discussion.

Earlier Bonds had their classic film at the third time (Connery GF, Moore TSWLM) Craig got his classic film (CR) out the gate. CR will age the best as it is by far, Craig's BEST FILM.
    SF is good but after a few years I daresay that it will not age very well. Like FRWL has aged so much better than its glossier and highly polished follow up film.

• I think AVATAR is the most overrated film of all. SF is not even the most overrated Bond film.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    TLD and LTK are overrated on here. Great Bond wasted on junk films. Just my opinion.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    TLD and LTK are overrated on here. Great Bond wasted on junk films. Just my opinion.
    @chrisisall, attack!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I find them both to be highly entertaining, and I love Dalton in the role. It's a shame he didn't get another two films before GE was released, would've been amazing.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just your BAD opinion!!! You cannot over-rate DALTON Bonds! His very presence elevates whatever 'junk' you may perceive. Get a grip, man!

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I think AVATAR is the most overrated film of all. SF is not even the most overrated Bond film.

I agree. Just can't understand why Avatar was not critically panned.
    I think AVATAR is the most overrated film of all. SF is not even the most overrated Bond film.

I guess critiques like the general public get easily impressed by big fx. At least it didn't win the Oscar which made it less overrated than Titanic.

I guess critiques like the general public get easily impressed by big fx. At least it didn't win the Oscar which made it less overrated than Titanic.
    True, Titanic is another dramatically overrated PoS. What a joke.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

But, it's certainly a lot better than any of the LOTR films combined. Now, these films winning oscars was a joke for me.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 14,839

Maybe the greatest marine tragedy in modern history turned the backdrop for a love story... Thinking about it, I'd say we might actually have THE most overrated movie of all time with Titanic, at least when it won the Oscar.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,043
    SF nowhere touches the overrated status of Titanic & Avatar, Cameron also must be up amongst the most overrated directors of all time.

You hear some putting in the same breath as Spielberg, the man has nowhere the talent and ability with actors and has an over reliance on technology for his films.

As above Titanic was one of those great tragedies of our time condensed into a soppy love story for bums of seats, no wonder it's as successful as it was, it was dumbed down and made so accessible any old idiot would be able to follow it.
    Well, it was not the first time. Each and every version of the story had a love story in it. Still, I wouldn't say that Titanic was overrated. Nor was LOTR. YMMV, of course. Myself, I never could undrstand the love Jean-Luc Godard got from critics. And don't get me started on Bresson. I saw one of his ovies ("Un Condamné à Mort s'est Échappé"), and I can tell you I didn't need any soporific to go to sleep afterwards. At least, flawed as they might have been, Titanic and LOTR are entertaining.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Titanic isn't entertaining it's painful IMO.