Skyfall Considered the Most Overated film of all.

Comments

its impossible to overrate GF
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Resurrection, eh? ;)
    Of this thread.

I disagree. Skyfall is one of the best films and not highly overrated.
    The most overrated would be either Goldfinger or Thunderball. I think for me, it would be Thunderball.
    TB yes. GF no way!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thunderball is severely underrated compared to Goldfinger. And is more entertaining and suspenseful with a more competent villain.
    I disagree. Skyfall is one of the best films and not highly overrated.
    The most overrated would be either Goldfinger or Thunderball. I think for me, it would be Thunderball.

Goldfinger set the gold standard of the franchise and TB popularized the stole nuclear Bomb theme and made it look good, both had decent enough stories and were based and can be recognized upon Flemings writing.

SF looks beautifull but has in itself more plotholes as the whole Brosnan era together, more implausible, had Golum twice, and did not look as cool as 007 at the Olympics. that little film made me proud to be a fan. While I consider DC a good 007 his movies have dropped in stupidity since CR, in a worse decline than any PB movie did. But boy the movie looked beautiful.

If Mendes would come up with a GF or TB quality movie I would be bloody ecstatic.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SaintMark wrote: »
    SF looks beautifull but has in itself more plotholes as the whole Brosnan era together
    I just watched it last week, and I guess I liked it a little better than the first time. The Severine thing no longer bugs me...

chrisisall wrote: »
    SF looks beautifull but has in itself more plotholes as the whole Brosnan era together
    I just watched it last week, and I guess I liked it a little better than the first time. The Severine thing no longer bugs me...

Is that the Severine death or Severine shower scene, both still make me feel somewhat comfortable.

GF really isn't that overrated on this site, at least. Just because a film gets a lot of praise doesn't automatically make it overrated, either.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2014 Posts: 15,690
    I for one loved Skyfall, so I didn't find it to be overrated. But obviously when a movie earns 1 billion dollars and is very popular with critics and fans (a grand slam movie if you allow me to make a sports analogy), there's bound to be a specific group of people that will call it overrated. On this forums, as far as I can see, the only 007 outings who are named overrated are the ones considered classics by a large group - GF, TB, TSWLM, TLD, GE, CR. The only 'classic' around there parts that seem to escape the overrated attacks is OHMSS, for obvious reasons - it was never fully recognize by the general audience, but it's appreciating has been growing as the years go by. I am sure one day OHMSS will be named overrated once it gets widely recognized by the public outside of Bond forums.

But to the point, I never understood people who say Bond movies are underrated or overrated. When I look at threads of Bond rankings, I see each outing ranked top, bottom and middle at a steady rate, some have more in one of these 3 categories. There's 23 movies, 6 different actors with diferent tones, and sometimes the tone changes within an actor's tenure, so there's bound to be people with every possible rankings and opinions about each film. That's the beauty of the Bond franchise, there's an outing for every mood, so everyone's ranking will change each time you revisit the films given the mood you're in.

All in all I think it all depends on your current ranking, whether you rank a film top or bottom will make you think a certain outing is overrated or underrated. :)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 14,839
    One can consider SF overrated. My issue with this film critic is to label SF THE most overrated movie OF ALL TIME. As if Titanic deserved all the Oscars it got?
    FoxRox wrote: »
    GF really isn't that overrated on this site, at least. Just because a film gets a lot of praise doesn't automatically make it overrated, either.

Maybe not here, but by the general public yes.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote: »

Goldfinger is seminal.
    RC7 wrote: »

Goldfinger is seminal.

Exactly. Any one who doesn't have it at least amongst their top five is deranged.
    Getafix wrote: »

Goldfinger is seminal.

Exactly. Any one who doesn't have it at least amongst their top five is deranged.

I've never understood all the hate for it lately myself. The most common complaint I see is that Bond spends half the film in prison, which is already exaggerated in the first place (it's probably more like a fourth), and even when he's there he still takes as much action as he can.
    Is that the Severine death or Severine shower scene, both still make me feel somewhat comfortable.
    The shower scene. I used to think it was in poor taste, but in watching it again it seems she wanted Bond big time.

Her death still sucks.

Goldfinger is seminal.

All the same, FRWL and DN, not to mention OHMSS, are often neglected to praise GF. Yes, GF is great and has some of the best dialogues in the series. In comparison with others, especially FRWL, it is overrated.

Anyway, back on topic, is SF overrated as a Bond movie? Maybe. I would tend to think so, even though I loved it. But it is not THE most overrated movie of ALL time. Unless you start the history of cinema with 2010.
    So it 's the most overrated film of the last four years?
    Getafix wrote: »
    So it 's the most overrated film of the last four years?

No idea, but at least that would be debatable. Of all time, it's not even worth considering.
    It's the most overrated since Cleopatra.

:)) ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It's the most overrated since Cleopatra.

:)) ;)

Titanic is more overrated than either. Heck, American Beauty and Gladiator are more overrated than SF!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2014 Posts: 15,690
    Of the last 4 years? I thought that would be The Artist. But I guess the trend is to call a successful movie 'overrated', and since SF was a sucess at the box office, for fans, general audience and the critics, it's high in the 'overrated list' of the SF detractors.
    Of the last 4 years? I thought that would be The Artist.

Maybe actually. It is basically a silent, black and white Singing in the Rain.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I meant the general public overrates Goldfinger and Thunderball.
    I think GF is iconic for good reasons, although it lags a times.
    I think TB is a better film overall (mainly thanks to Volpe), although I find fault with it, too.

I do not think Skyfall is the most overrated film, no.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ET is the most overrated film. Or possibly Thelma and Louise.

ET is just brilliant and Thelma & Louise is a great roadmovie, nothing overrated about.

The question is: is SF overrated and not name other overrated movies according your opinion.

SF compared to ET is not going to be favorable for SF and T&L is far to feminist a movie to be compared with a male fantasy movie.

ET is just brilliant and Thelma & Louise is a great roadmovie, nothing overrated about.

The question is: is SF overrated and not name other overrated movies according your opinion.

SF compared to ET is not going to be favorable for SF and T&L is far to feminist a movie to be compared with a male fantasy movie.

Then no.

Then no.

Fair enough
    ;)
    And hence I will not mention Flashdance.
    And hence I will not mention Flashdance.

As long as you do not tell me that Jennifer Beals is ugly, the male dancer instead of her was fairly obvious.

Then no.

Actually, the question is: is SF THE most overrated movie of all time?

And it is a resounding no.