Skyfall Considered the Most Overated film of all.

Comments

The biggest weakness of TLD are the villains. With a better written Koskov you have a far better movie, maybe a classic.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Despite some very strong elements, there's a blandness to the film I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe's it's Glen's somewhat "plain" look.

Also, I know they're only in small roles but Terry and Bliss are good contenders for "worst performance of the series".
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,425
    It is Glen who gave the films a 'plain' look or Peter Lamont and the cinematography? I think Glen's direction was quite snappy. All his films have a recognisable and mainly very enjoyable pace and style to them.
    I'm not sure who it was, but when you compare the Glen films to those of Terrence Young, they have a fairly un-distinctive style.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'm not sure who it was, but when you compare the Glen films to those of Terrence Young, they have a fairly un-distinctive style.

Well, you're comparing them to some of the best in the series. But I disagree. I think Glen's movies are very recognisable. You might not like them, but I think they're very distinctive. FYEO, OP and TLD are three of my favourites. And AVTAK and LTK both have great elements.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Well, you're comparing them to some of the best in the series. But I disagree. I think Glen's movies are very recognisable. You might not like them, but I think they're very distinctive.

I never said I didn't like them as films. It's just I don't think Glen can be considered one of the very best directors. He's a mid way director for me. Even Lewis Gilbert's films have a bit more visual flare to them.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Well, you're comparing them to some of the best in the series. But I disagree. I think Glen's movies are very recognisable. You might not like them, but I think they're very distinctive.

I never said I didn't like them as films. It's just I don't think Glen can be considered one of the very best directors. He's a mid way director for me. Even Lewis Gilbert's films have a bit more visual flare to them.

I meant 'you', as in 'one might not like them', not specifically you yourself.

Lewis Gilbert's films had Ken Adam sets - a very big reason why they look very different from the Glen movies.

I actually think in terms of directing style though, Glen has one of the most distinctive styles in the series.
    I don't think he's a bad director. Just a bit...standard.

I'm sure he would do a far better job than me though and I respect him for working on the Bond films before acquiring the director's chair.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I don't think he's a bad director. Just a bit...standard.

I'm sure he would do a far better job than me though and I respect him for working on the Bond films before acquiring the director's chair.

Yes, it's a shame there's not so much of that apprenticeship culture on the Bond movies these days. I think that was a real strength in the past.

I think you might see Glen's films differently if Ken Adam had been involved though!

I was looking at Peter Lamont's credits the other day and it's very impressive. I was surprised and impressed to see he'd done Aliens, which has such a striking visual look. But for me his work on the Bond films was very pedestrian, rarely if ever achieving anything distinctive or special. CR is a good looking film though, for which he must take some of the credit.
    I think CR is one of the best looking films in the series.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think CR is one of the best looking films in the series.

Agreed. I don't understand the fuss about SF personally. It looks fine but not what I'm looking for in a Bond movie.
    I really like the look of SF too :p
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I really like the look of SF too :p

I know. Most people do. I just don't get it. I mean, it doesn't look bad, but I'm not bowled over. CR and QoS both 'look' better IMHO. Following the production too closely on here didn't help though - I spotted lots of things I didn't like about the production design during the filming.
    Never once in QoS have a gone "wow, that's a great shot". Some of it does look nice and fairly stylish, but I think both CR and SF outdo it.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Never once in QoS have a gone "wow, that's a great shot". Some of it does look nice and fairly stylish, but I think both CR and SF outdo it.

Really? I never cease to be amazed at how little love QoS gets around here. I think it's beautifully filmed and really one of the visually more memorable films from recent years. I know a lot of people slate it, but the opening chase is really quite stunning. It might over doing it, but The Times even ranked it in the top ten car chases of all time. There are a whole load of sequences I could add. The opera scenes and kitchen chase. Arriving at Mathis's castle. Some of the desert shots. Greene's party. I think there's a lot of really nice shots and scenes in there.

I'm not slating Deakins. He's obviously immensely tallented. I watched True Grit the other day and it's stunning. SF undoubtedly has beautiful sequences, but for me, in the context of a Bond movie, it doesn't work so well.
    Opera scene - meh, alright,

Chase, meh.

Some of the best bits IMO are in the hotel.

The party is undermined by some blatantly staged establishing shots of a DJ, a record, a woman holding a drink and a man at a bar (who I swear sounds like Daniel Craig).

It feels a bit like a TV advert - especially when the Range Rover draws up and Bond/Fields get out.

I like some of the stuff leading up to the opera but I really don't think the Tosca sequence itself is all that great. It's too fancy for a Bond movie. The quick cuts make it feel like the director is trying to be clever.
    BAIN123 wrote:

That's simply ridiculous. To my mind there is not a single shot in QoS that is not beautiful (or at least very distinguished ). You really see where the money went in this movie. I'm not sure you do with SF. Also, my girlfriend mentioned once,that she still vividly remembers the look of Bond and Camille walking through the dessert,while she has no similar memories about SF at all.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

That's simply ridiculous. To my mind there is not a single shot in QoS that is not beautiful (or at least very distinguished ). You really see where the money went in this movie. I'm not sure you do with SF. Also, my girlfriend mentioned once,that she still vividly remembers the look of Bond and Camille walking through the dessert,while she has no similar memories about SF at all.

Ha! And you have the temerity to call BAIN's statement ridiculous.

• edited April 2014 Posts: 908
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Ha! And you have the temerity to call BAIN's statement ridiculous.

Yes I do. That's because I do (and can) trust my sense of taste. That's a claim, that not too many people in the SF defense league can (and should) make.
    Must have been a slow entertainment news day at The Telegraph. Selecting the ten most overrated films is like judging the quality of chili by counting the number of beans in the bowl.

Weaknesses in a film is certainly fair game, and Skyfall has its share. But the number one most overrated film? Hardly.

CrabKey wrote:
    Must have been a slow entertainment news day at The Telegraph. Selecting the ten most overrated films is like judging the quality of chili by counting the number of beans in the bowl.

Weaknesses in a film is certainly fair game, and Skyfall has its share. But the number one most overrated film? Hardly.

That's the perfect way of putting it. Like I said, it is not the most overrated Bond movie, not the most overrated Mendes movie, it is certainly not the most overrated movie of all time.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    To ME, Skyfall is about as good as CR. And that's praise. But it certainly isn't better IMO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    While I really don't care for SF as much as I had hoped, I most certainly would not say it's the most overrated film of all. That's a bit extreme. Just like @Ludovico said, it's not the most overrated Bond, Mendes, or general film of all time whatsoever.
    I think the one thing we must respect is that it is the personal opinion of this journalist, and should not be taken as if he has stated it as fact. I personally like Skyfall, although it is far from one of my favourite films.
  • yes
    Sammm04 wrote:
    I think the one thing we must respect is that it is the personal opinion of this journalist, and should not be taken as if he has stated it as fact. I personally like Skyfall, although it is far from one of my favourite films.

Still, you better have some darn facts to back up your opinion if you claim X is the most overrated movie of all time. Of all time. Since the Frères Lumière invented cinema.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Still, you better have some darn facts to back up your opinion if you claim X is the most overrated movie of all time. Of all time. Since the Frères Lumière invented cinema.

Fair enough, but films are very subjective, some people can see greatness in a film where the critics find none, and vice versa.

Still, of all time. I understand movie appreciation is subjective, but film criticism has to go beyond one's own subjectivity. And to consider a film historically overrated, one needs to have a notion of history of cinema. Which this critique seem to lack.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 479
    Ludovico wrote:
    Still, of all time. I understand movie appreciation is subjective, but film criticism has to go beyond one's own subjectivity. And to consider a film historically overrated, one needs to have a notion of history of cinema. Which this critique seem to lack.

Yeah I don't agree either, but y'know, freedom of the press.

Sammm04 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yeah I don't agree either, but y'know, freedom of the press.

I didn't say the guy should be censored. I said what he freely says is rubbish.