Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

The World is not Enough wins this one for me- it has Brosnan, so that's about enough for me! For its other aspects though, it takes itself more seriously than Diamonds Are Forever, and handles its plot better than DAF. Elektra and Renard are much better adversaries than Charles Gray's Blofeld and the string of essentially useless henchmen in DAF (with the exception of Wint and Kidd, of course). While DAF boasts a better soundtrack and better use of locations than TWINE, as well as one of the best hand-to-hand fights in the entire Bond series, TWINE is simply more exciting. DAF is a joy to watch, even in all its camp, but it is pretty grounded for a Bond movie, which is fine in some cases, but the problem is that DAF attempts to be more "out-of-this-world", and it doesn't live up to that attempt, unfortunately. "Grounded" Bond movies that actually work are those like DN, FRWL, LALD, FYEO, etc.
  • TWINE by a mile. One of my favourites, while I think DAF is one of the worst.
    TWINE was my first ever Bond film. DAF is a disaster. TWINE wins this every time for me.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited November 2013 Posts: 3,262
    Definitely DAF. Better Bond, better lead Bond girl, better score and just an all around more fun viewing experience.
    Although i am fond of DAF? I will go with TWINE!
  • Even though I grew up on Brosnan, and love TWINE, I've got to go with DAF. i love seeing Connery jaded and the sardonic humor that runs throughout the film. It may be one of my favorites.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 1,595
    DAF but not by a whole lot. DAF is one of the oddest Bond films and floats somewhere around my top 10 whereas I think TWINE is an excellent, but more middling, Bond film and would be somewhere in the teens.

DAF is the funniest Bond film with a lot of dark comedy and Connery's aloof and sarcastic performance is fun to watch. Love it. The weirdest Bond film next to AVTAK. It's cynical and nihilistic and sardonic. Super underrated and underappreciated.
    TWINE since it's one of the most underrated Bond flicks.
    DAF: 7
    TWINE: 13

The World is not Enough is our winner!

Next match:

License to Kill vs. SkyFall
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2014 Posts: 16,333
    Oh this to hard... my 2nd ranked Bond film vs my 3rd ranked bond film...it's too hard.
    :'(

I'm going to go with Licence to Kill.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    00Beast wrote:
    License to Kill vs. SkyFall

No contest: Licence To Kill.
    SKYFAAALLLLLLLL. :)
    Due to the fact that LTK is #2 in my current rankings, and SkyFall is at #3, strictly by the rankings, I say that LTK takes the win for me. Besides, it's been a favorite of mine for too long to be betrayed now!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Licence To Kill, my second favourite Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is Skyfall suddenly losing its gloss and appeal? No. SF for me.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Licence to Kill. Sits currently in fifth place, but I think another viewing might increase its current position. I liked Skyfall, but it sits just outside of my top 10.
    License To Kill, is my fav one but it's just a matter of personal taste. In fact, Skyfall is a top-5 in my list, and is a better movie overall... But I'll go with LTK.
    Both of them are (and likely always will be) Top 10 Bond films for me, but I have to say Skyfall, which is my second favorite Bond film. I prefer Craig over Dalton, and the story of Skyfall just intrigued me a bit more, even though I love the revenge theme of Licence to Kill. They're both two of the most intense and action-packed ones, and I love them both. Licence to Kill is a great Bond film, but Skyfall is even better IMO.
    Licence to Kill but both are top 10 films. LTK is top 5 though, so it wins this one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    LTK wins for me.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Although I enjoy Skyfall, and an old school friend has a small role in it, Dalton is my favourite Bond, and I love LTK, so that wins it for me!
    LTK.

It's an interesting duo to pit against each other. I can only imagine how much more awesome LTK could have with the production values of Skyfall.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited March 2014 Posts: 1,257
    I like them both but it's still an easy decision; LTK wins.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Both are "harder" Bond films but for me SF wins because of the all-round great performances. LTK has some great ones but also some bad ones. I can't think of one "bad" performance in SF.

That combined with the (mostly) superb production values make SF win for me.
    Has to be LTK just because of the ranking: 4th vs. Skyfall at 6th.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Although I enjoy Skyfall, and an old school friend has a small role in it, Dalton is my favourite Bond, and I love LTK, so that wins it for me!

Let me guess. Albert Finney?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Skyfall for sure, even though I love Dalton.
    I think Skyfall is a much better Bond film all around.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Go ahead @4EverBonded, make me cry.

:)) JK
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    You don't look like you are crying. ;)
    And I do believe that; just my opinion of course.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    As much as I'm a big advocate of Dalton and supported his tenure (a very lonely place to be back 1989), LTK is just to an uneven film. Dalton's great as Bond and it has some great moments but SF for me is Craig's best performance as Bond, in fact of any actor in the role and unlike some I love Skyfall so no competition but LTK is definitely top tier of the series though.