Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    With classes cancelled because of MLK Jr.'s birthday and lots of snow, a few other RA's and I played movies a lot these past few days. Did a LOTR trilogy (though missed out on the second one because I had to work), and yesterday we played CR, QoS, and SF. I think that's the first time I finally managed a Craig Bond marathon, and it was very entertaining to do so.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    To honor the memory of the recently deceased Joan Fontaine:

7708864638_f8bbc4d78d_z.jpg

Good natured comedy swasbuckler and one of Hope's funniest color films.
  • For your eyes only
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited January 2014 Posts: 2,044
    I do watch at least 6-7 films a week, so keeping track of all of them are quite hard. But the ones i've watched the last week are the following:

Prometheus 7/10
    Her 8/10
    American Hustle7/10
    Captain Philips 5/10
    Safety Last 8/10
    12 Years A Slave 8/10
    The Third Man 7/10
    A Clockwork Orange 9/10
    The Master 8.5/10
    The Maltese Falcon 8/10
    Zardoz 5/10 (This was a huge WTF film for me)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,350
    I watched Captain Philips last night. I loved it. A very tense film throughout.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Dungeons and Dragons.

Masterpiece of a film with Oscar worthy performances. It would be brilliant if Irons played a Bond villain in the same way. Makes Toby Stephens look subtle =))

• quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Watched 'The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three' for the umpteenth time last night. (That's the proper 1974 version, naturally.) One of the greatest thrillers ever made and the mighty Robert Shaw gives possibly the finest performance of his career.
    Watched 'The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three' for the umpteenth time last night. (That's the proper 1974 version, naturally.) One of the greatest thrillers ever made and the mighty Robert Shaw gives possibly the finest performance of his career.

Nice to see some love for this film. I agree with you it's utterly brilliant. Another film in which we did not need, want or deserve a remake.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Air Force One

Haven't seen this for a while (I turned off DAD to catch this).

It's all a load of preposterous nonsense of course but in a good way. Thoroughly entertaining and outstanding performances from the two leads - Ford & Oldman.

I still think the line "Get off my plane!" is one of the greatest in cinematic history ;-)

Coincidentally, Outbreak is on the telly later this evening.

This is the synopsis given by Channel 5. See if you can spot the error:

"Tense action thriller starring Dustin Hoffman, Wolfgang Peterson and Rene Russo.
    A small group of people try to contain and cure a lethal virus, while powerful forces mount a deadly cover up."

Air Force One

Haven't seen this for a while (I turned off DAD to catch this).

It's all a load of preposterous nonsense of course but in a good way. Thoroughly entertaining and outstanding performances from the two leads - Ford & Oldman.

I still think the line "Get off my plane!" is one of the greatest in cinematic history ;-)

I said in my summary of Olympus Has Fallen that you are better off going back to watch this. At least the acting is good. Who can't despise Gary Oldman when he shoots Melony?

Air Force One

Coincidentally, Outbreak is on the telly later this evening.

This is the synopsis given by Channel 5. See if you can spot the error:

"Tense action thriller starring Dustin Hoffman, Wolfgang Peterson and Rene Russo.
    A small group of people try to contain and cure a lethal virus, while powerful forces mount a deadly cover up."

Err the director listed as one of the stars? :p
    5 points to @BAIN123 :D
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Eclectic mix today: started way back in 1940 with Laurel & Hardy's 'A Chump At Oxford'. Fast forwarded to 1972 with Burt Reynolds private eye flick 'Shamus'. And finished up in 1985 with Richard Donner's wonderful fantasy adventure 'Ladyhawke' starring Matthew Broderick, Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,904
    Frozen Ground

Cage is, by his own standards, is quite restrained. But it's Cusack that stands out though a really creepy performance.

Cusack ranking: 6/17
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TONY ROME

MK-AY143_SOFFER_G_20090903191533.jpg

The sixties never looked better! If The Detective took Sinatra to some very progressive and in fact rather unsettling places, Tony Rome is all about fun, womanising, more fun and more womanising. Just listen to Nancy's wonderful opening song:

I think this film should be watched by all fans of the sixties Bond. Though it occasionally finds its serious moments, it mainly aims to make us smile. Sinatra is on fire and so is Jill St. John. They have some deliciously saucy dialogues going on. And Kubrick fans may recognise Sue Lyon too.

I recommend you watch Tony Rome!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    ^ I preferred Sinatra's second Tony Rome film, Lady In Cement.

lady-in-cement-poster.jpg
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Watching End of Days again on Sky. Utterly daft with some unintentionally funny moments (the old lady beating up Arnie), but still fairly enjoyable due to some exhilarating, brutal action sequences and a scene chewing performance from Gabriel Byrne. Definitely not one of The Austrian Oak's best though.

5/10
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. A pretty enjoyable Steampunk adventure. Nice to see Connery having fun one last time. 8/10
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited January 2014 Posts: 2,044
    Notorious. Classic Hitchcock where everyone bring's their A-game. A superb espionage adventure from a era with great films. 7/10

Die Hard 2. It was actually the first time i watched it, and it was as fun and well made as the first film. I love all the inside jokes and the brilliant action, kudos for showing of some violence. Shame though that the franchise lost a little bit of quality with "Vengeance" and then it went downhill very fast with 4.0. Anyway, i give Die Hard 2 7.5/10
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Robocop
    I wasn't really a fan of this series and really couldn't care less, but after seeing the trailer for the reboot next month, I was really excited about it. So I went back and decided to watch all the original Robocop movies in anticipation for the new one. I only knew a few things about Robocop, but man was this movie violent. Having watched Total Recall last year, I saw the similiraties in Paul Verhoeven's work. That scene when Murphy got killed was really awful and tragic and then having to come back as a robot with brain all jumbled with memories of your past life - you just feel sorry for him. Overall, I thought the movie was great and not as cheesy as I thought it would be. A-

Robocop 2
    Maybe I've been spoiled by some good sequels in current years, so I kinda expected this movie to be better, but it wasn't. It had some potential with Murphy trying to reconnect with his family, and they having to deal with his current existence, but no, they just drop it at the start. With some silliness throw in, different storylines, and with Verhoeven absent from this round, it just wasn't they same as the original. C+
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Artemis81 wrote:
    Robocop 2
    C+

Curious as to how you'd like Robocop 3. I agree with your ratings of the first two completely. I objectively rate Robocop 3 at B-, and subjectively at A since I totally love the 'superhero' take over the dark gritty stuff from the first, and the bleak nonsense from the second (even given the budget restraints resulting in a lacklustre final showdown). But I understand that's just me...
    @MajorDSmythe,
    I'm watching The Detective again and after that, The Lady In Cement. ;-)
    It's the other end of the spectrum to the likes of Tony Rome/Lady In Cement, butif you have not already seen it, then I highly recommend Sinatra's The Naked Runner. It might sound like a frat house comedy, but it's a slow burning thriller.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Shutter Island :

Scorsese leads a great direction while Di Caprio (who I actually dislike) gives a decent perf. Ben Kingsley is the one I prefered in that film, great actor. Good scenario (but strange) and a score with some high tension. Quite a good film on average :

7/10
  • Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange (1972)

This is one bizarre movie and while having lost a lot of it's shock factor when unleashed to theater audiences in the early 1970s, it's still a disturbing ride for many

It's not as good as the Burgess novel (which is more graphic) but this made a star out of Malcolm McDowell and some other faces you may recognize are also involved

You will never again think of the William Tell overture the same way after seeing this

Recommended, but not a movie for kids, and good luck with the slang talk which was often hard to comprehend

Not a film release for everyone

clockwork_orange-poster1.jpg
    Excellent choice, @Baltimore_007!
    I'm a Kubrick fan myself and though I rate a few films of his higher than ACO, I certainly find that film incredibly well-made. Never read the novel though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Murdock wrote:
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. A pretty enjoyable Steampunk adventure. Nice to see Connery having fun one last time. 8/10

I love that film. Sure it is not true to the source, and not equally good either. But I would not be without it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote:

I love that film. Sure it is not true to the source, and not equally good either. But I would not be without it.

Yes it does make me want to seek out the books. I did some research and in some later Books James Bond makes an appearence. Though It goes by the codename theory.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited January 2014 Posts: 543
    Robocop 3
    chrisisall wrote:
    Curious as to how you'd like Robocop 3. I agree with your ratings of the first two completely. I objectively rate Robocop 3 at B-, and subjectively at A since I totally love the 'superhero' take over the dark gritty stuff from the first, and the bleak nonsense from the second (even given the budget restraints resulting in a lacklustre final showdown). But I understand that's just me...
    See I love the dark gritty stuff from the first. It makes what would be a cheesy character into something interesting. Well, I would have to agree with you objectivity grade as I thought the third installment had some interesting elements (OCP kicking people out to create Delta city, rebels fighting for their turf, Robocop avenging his partner), but it still wasn't on par with what I liked about the first film. Obviously aside from Verhoeven, Peter Wellers doesn't return for this one, and his replacement Robert Burke does an ok job, but I just didn't like that way he moved his mouth, it was too animated at times. Jetpacks, ninja robots, weird gangs, children - it just didn't do it for me. This third installment just reminded me of those other awful 2nd and 3rd sequels of movies I enjoyed from the 80s and 90s that were just cheesy and made no sense. B-
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 4,622
    OK I'm sold. I am tracking down both of those Tony Rome films.
    How could I have missed those all these years. Sassy '60s detective fare with the likes of St.John and Welch as co-stars,only the two most gorgeous femmes to grace the screen that decade, with honorable mention to Jane Fonda, Liz Taylor and a host of others.

Last film I saw, non-cinema. Resident Evil: Retribution 5/5 stars Great film series. Its like Bond in that every entry is great and there is always another one on the way. This entry found a way to bring back old characters too, that we thought were gone.
    Resident_evil_retribution_poster.jpg

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Artemis81 wrote:
    Robocop 3
    See I love the dark gritty stuff from the first. It makes what would be a cheesy character into something interesting. Well, I would have to agree with you objectivity grade as I thought the third installment had some interesting elements (OCP kicking people out to create Delta city, rebels fighting for their turf, Robocop avenging his partner), but it still wasn't on par with what I liked about the first film. B-

A totally fair rating Artemis! :)>-
    The Poledouris music really elevated the material too IMO.