Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Saw The Wolf of Wall Street late Christmas night. I'm not usually a huge Dicaprio fan but damn that movie was good.

I went to see it too on Christmas day. Amazing film!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Good to hear! I've even heard some people say it's the best film they've ever seen, so we'll see. I'm doing a double feature in a week or so: 'The Wolf of Wall Street' and 'American Hustle.' I figure these are the last two that just might move 'Out Of The Furnace' off of my #1 Film List for 2013.
    The Italian Job (1969)
    Fantastic fun film.
    "The Hobbit : The Desolation of Smaug".

Which I loved very much.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    A bitter sweet life
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

"Nazi's...I hate these guys"

A fun yet at times very silly flick with tongue firmly in cheek. Sometimes it gets a little too reliant on comedy and slapstick, but for the most part the humour works thanks to the charisma and comic timing of Connery and Ford. It's better than TOD but falls short of Raiders.

Connery may be playing himself in this...but who cares. He steals the show.

7/10

Thinking about it, it's funny this film was released the same year as probably the most violent Bond film to date. Tone-wise Last Crusade is far more like Octopussy and Moonraker.
    'Rambo'

Rarely gets as exciting as watching Sylvester Stallone turn Burmese soldiers into SpaghettiO's. This is probably one of the most brutal and gory films I've ever seen: kids getting bayonetted and stabbed up into the air, children being thrown into burning buildings and hit with a flamethrower, soldiers getting sliced in half and having their heads just ripped in half by sniper rifles and mounted machine guns. Aside from the gory details, it's an entertaining film, seeing Stallone get back to work as Rambo after all these years. It's also cool that he gave the character closure in this one and opted to not do another one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,696
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Rambo'

Rarely gets as exciting as watching Sylvester Stallone turn Burmese soldiers into SpaghettiO's. This is probably one of the most brutal and gory films I've ever seen: kids getting bayonetted and stabbed up into the air, children being thrown into burning buildings and hit with a flamethrower, soldiers getting sliced in half and having their heads just ripped in half by sniper rifles and mounted machine guns. Aside from the gory details, it's an entertaining film, seeing Stallone get back to work as Rambo after all these years. It's also cool that he gave the character closure in this one and opted to not do another one.

In this one, war isn't fun. I think we see this the same way. I like this movie even though parts are hard to watch. Stallone got serious.
    It's cool that when he set out to make it, though, he wanted to go away from the more obvious, well-known conflicts going on in the world, such as the Middle East, Africa, etc. and focus on something that not too many people knew about for him to tackle.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Anderson Tapes (1971) Sean Connery

Fun little heist movie. Connery was pretty good in it. It was just after DAF. He looked much younger in this movie than in DAF. And it was also interesting to see a young Christopher Walkin in this movie. 6/10.
    Charade (1963) just now on Netflix.

Cary Grant & Audrey Hepburn were awesome. It had it all- the funny, the violence, the plot, the cool theme. I think I like it as much as North By Northwest.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 16,334
    Breakout (1975)Charles Bronson and Robert Duvall

Great movie. Not your typical Bronson flick but still great. The ending had me laughing because of something so unexpected.

Video is a spoiler.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Charade (1963) just now on Netflix.

Cary Grant & Audrey Hepburn were awesome. It had it all- the funny, the violence, the plot, the cool theme. I think I like it as much as North By Northwest.

It's fantastic, I saw it for my first time on Netflix, as well. It has to be my favorite Cary Grant film, it's impeccable.
    Murdock wrote:
    Breakout (1975)Charles Bronson and Robert Duvall

Great movie. Not your typical Bronson flick but still great. The ending had me laughing because of something so unexpected.
    Agreed; so cool.
    I've just seen that clip. Brilliant! :-)
    I Walk the Line

Not to be confused with Walk the Line. This is a 1970 John Frankenheimer film starring Gregory Peck about a local Sheriff who meet a girl a then a simple but interesting story develops. It deals with important social themes, some of them very serious (especially the sexual subjets).
    One of the best things it has is the original soundtrack by Johnny Cash which plays extremely well with the images.
    I believe it's a good but forgotten Southern drama.
    Elysium

Just watched it. It was okay, I guess. The whole class inequality thing was hammered in pretty bluntly, and I don't get why they didn't just, you know, fix the EARTH with that technology, but I suppose that was the point of the movie- stupid choices by the elite. Truthfully, a lot going on here with not really a lot going on...
    Oblivion got this job done a lot better IMHO.
    Matt was good, as always.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Elysium

Just watched it. It was okay, I guess. The whole class inequality thing was hammered in pretty bluntly, and I don't get why they didn't just, you know, fix the EARTH with that technology, but I suppose that was the point of the movie- stupid choices by the elite. Truthfully, a lot going on here with not really a lot going on...
    Oblivion got this job done a lot better IMHO.
    Matt was good, as always.

I agree with everything, excluding it being 'okay.' I thought it was horrendous.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I agree with everything, excluding it being 'okay.' I thought it was horrendous.

DAD was better.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

DAD was better.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...but I completely agree.

Creasy47 wrote:

No, being serious here.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

No, being serious here.

Good to know. It was such a big letdown and a massive disappointment. 'Oblivion' was better to me in every single aspect.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Die Hard 4.0

At present the last of the proper Die Hard films in my book. It's generic at times but has some solid plus points including Timothy Olyphant, Justin Long and Maggie Q who are all excellent in their roles (I may get flack for saying this but I think Long is perhaps more convincing as a reluctant side-kick than Jackson). This is also the last time you feel like you are watching John McClane as opposed to some standard, completely invulnerable action hero. Yes the jet sequence pushes it however they try harder to make McClane more of a character. He's fed up, he's become even more disillusioned with age and even struggles during some of the action (staggering along the apartment floor during the first shoot-out).

The film could maybe have lost about 20 minutes or so but IMO succeeds in doing something different with an older character.

6/10

(This reminded me a bit of DH2 but on a much larger scale)
    @BAIN123, did you watch the rated or unrated version? The latter is much better, in my opinion. As for his staggering on the floor in the beginning, I saw that as him just being overwhelmed and trying to get away from the door they were unloading on.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BATMAN(1989)

Terrific update on the more corny 1960s style Batman. Did they try to emulate Superman here? I mean, Bruce Wayne with glasses? And Vicki Vale and her journalist sidekick are clearly the equivalent of Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen.
    Another thing I noticed: During one car chase scene, you can hear an unmistakable variation of The Simpsons Theme. Not surprising, since Elfman did Simpsons shortly after this.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @BAIN123, did you watch the rated or unrated version? The latter is much better, in my opinion. As for his staggering on the floor in the beginning, I saw that as him just being overwhelmed and trying to get away from the door they were unloading on.

I've seen both but last night I saw the cut version as I couldn't find my uncut copy.
    @BAIN123, which do you prefer? They only have the PG-13 version on blu-ray sadly, so whenever I do a marathon, I usually switch to my steelbook DVD as it's unrated.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    The cut version isn't too bad (its also the only version on Blu Ray in the UK) but the uncut one is better. The main scene in the cut version that stuck out for me was
    when John shoots that thug on the stairs and its then revealed that he didn't kill him. John even tells him to wait for a doctor. In the uncut one he kills him right out as I remember - and he would have done the same in the first three.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The last film I watched was a really goofy British comedy called Hotel!. It featured one connection to Bond; Art Malik, and two connections to Doctor Who; then ex 8th Doctor Paul McGann and future 12th Doctor Peter Capldi.
    Tomb Raider 2001
    Average video game to movie adaptation. Even though Daniel Craig wasn't a big star yet, He was poorly used in this film. Also it didn't help that he sounded like Ray Romano in it. :))

6/10