Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Samuel001 wrote:
    There are three graphic novels, so a third and final film may also happen in a few years @Thunderfinger.

Thanks for the information, have not read them.
    Bradford4 wrote:
    I was going to watch Kick Ass. Because I wanted to see Kick Ass 2, I figured since my kids liked The Avengers why not try another superhero movie. BIG mistake. This is a brutal movie and we barely made it ten minutes. Not for kids. It was a little hard to watch meself, is this where we are as a society that we watch kids murdering each other for entertainment? Sick.

Yep, my son is a teenager now and I have still not let him see it. Not a movie for children, the second is possibly even worse FYI. What is the age limit in your country? Here it is 15.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows

Surprisingly really good. Much better than I thought it would be. Jared Harris was superb as Moriarty.

8.5/10

I adore that film; such a great adaption of the Final Problem Holmes tale. Harris is a grand Moriarty, the best one I have seen on the big screen thus far.

A lot of my friends are back in town on college break, so we all went out to see Frozen. We had the whole theater to ourselves, and it was a blast. I didn't really know what to expect when seeing this film as I paid no attention to it beyond the random ad on TV, but it was a clever, cute and heartfelt film that will give you many a chuckle and turn of a smile. This'll be a big hit with the kids, and will likely get Oscar nods. It's nice to see that Disney still has some of that old magic.
    12 Years a Slave

I'm speechless.

How this film didn't get a standing ovation in the theater tonight is beyond me. I'm really too stunned by how brilliant, how magnificent a film this is that I can't quite write a full review.

This is easily the best film of the decade thus far; Chiwetel Ejiofor gives a career defining performance; Fassbender, Cumberbatch, the rest of the cast and, even in just 60 or so seconds of screen time, Michael K. Williams give brilliant performances the whole way through; the film is more accurate and efficient at capturing the horrors of slavery than Schnindler's List was of the Holocaust; it's just... brilliant. One of the greatest films ever made. This deserves to win any and all Oscars it may be nominated for.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    001 wrote:
    Police Story (1985)
    Jackie chan is great in this film.

Yes he is, and 'Police Story 2' is excellent. I'm liking the gritty look of 'Police Story 2013.' I can't wait for it.

The Young Master (1980)
    Another great performance by Jackie chan. Amazing martial arts skills.

Have you seen this film ?

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @001, sadly, I don't think I have, but I've been trying to get around to seeing all of them.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Bradford4
    Kick-Ass is a great comic book adaptation, but indeed only for adults. The mere fact that it begins with an obvious masturbation scene, says enough.
    Hitgirl, however, is not an issue to me. She's so over the top, when she goes down on those junkies like a ruthless killer, it's simply one of those "anything goes" moments. Then again, perhaps not exactly suitable for children. Chloë Moretz may, at that time, have been about 10 years old, that doesn't mean her target audience is. ;-)
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    My children are 5 and 6, and i wish I read up more on it now! They did not know what masturbation even was and i had to explain it to them, then they talked about it at school, now I'm in the crosshairs!! Blimey.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    :( :))
    Sorry,but that will be a great story when they grow up. Watch out for the police.
    The Hobbit! Desolation of Smaug. Absolutely loved it! Roll on part 3! The time went so quick I was like what? It's over already?!!! Especially where it ended too!!! ~X( lol!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    The Hobbit! Desolation of Smaug. Absolutely loved it! Roll on part 3! The time went so quick I was like what? It's over already?!!! Especially where it ended too!!! ~X( lol!

I can't get over that amazing cliffhanger.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Tell me about it! Don't wanna say too much as I am sure their are people on here who have not seen it yet? But me, my girlfriend and her brother were like? Nooo don't stop there?

:))
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Tell me about it! Don't wanna say too much as I am sure their are people on here who have not seen it yet? But me, my girlfriend and her brother were like? Nooo don't stop there?

I thought that:
    It was going to end with Smaug flying off to Lake Town - thought that would've been excellent, then was disappointed when it continued, until Bilbo utters "What have we done?", and I was totally cool with it. One hell of a cliffhanger.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I thought that:
    It was going to end with Smaug flying off to Lake Town - thought that would've been excellent, then was disappointed when it continued, until Bilbo utters "What have we done?", and I was totally cool with it. One hell of a cliffhanger.

Certainly is! Now we have to wait! Been careful of the thread as to avoid spoilers as I have not read the book also.
    Just re-watched True Lies

Utterly ridiculous but still a lot of fun and better than many of the official Bond films. It's fairly easy to see though where GE got a lot of its inspiration from.

8/10
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Just re-watched True Lies

Utterly ridiculous but still a lot of fun and better than many of the official Bond films. It's fairly easy to see though where GE got a lot of its inspiration from.
    You mushed be joking.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Harris is a grand Moriarty, the best one I have seen on the big screen thus far.

Not the big screen, but I really liked Andrew Scott in the TV series. An insane Irish bastard with tons of shady criminal connections who, in a weird way, loves Sherlock, because he's the only one who can challenge him.

He was brilliant, shame he's not in it anymore.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Harris is a grand Moriarty, the best one I have seen on the big screen thus far.

Not the big screen, but I really liked Andrew Scott in the TV series. An insane Irish bastard with tons of shady criminal connections who, in a weird way, loves Sherlock, because he's the only one who can challenge him.

He was brilliant, shame he's not in it anymore.

Andrew was brilliant, you're right, and he really earned that BAFTA. I love how the show didn't do a direct adaption of the character from the stories and created a more psychotic and unhinged Napoleon of Crime than we are accustomed to seeing. Watching Benedict and Andrew play off each other in every scene they shared together was acting at its finest.
    I loved Andrew's real calm, flirty, care-free demeanor at times, and then he would just absolutely lose his cool with a certain word or statement, like when Sherlock talks about people dying and Moriarty retorts with "That's what people DO!!!"
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Predator

Another Arnie flick to help take me away from the Christmas rush. The effects are a bit dated and most of the characters are fairly cardboard, but the jungle provides a good backdrop for suspense and McTiernan manages to keep the tension going. However I preferred True Lies this time round.

7/10
    'Bad Company' - starring Anthony Hopkins and Chris Rock was on BBC3 late last night. I think it's a really good film..
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Predator

Another Arnie flick to help take me away from the Christmas rush. The effects are a bit dated and most of the characters are fairly cardboard, but the jungle provides a good backdrop for suspense and McTiernan manages to keep the tension going. However I preferred True Lies this time round.

7/10

True lies definitely for Curtis' bedroom dance alone. Damn, she had an incredible body!
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 11,189
    doubleoego wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Predator

7/10

True lies definitely for Curtis' bedroom dance alone. Damn, she had an incredible body!

Agreed. Lies has more wit and humour to it.

...and Curtis does look incredible, she also gives the best performance in the film.
    It's a Wonderful Life

Classic movie but, given how pretty she was, there is NO way Mary would have ended up an old maid had she not met George.

9/10 (the kids at the beginning are a little too sickly for my taste)
    TOY STORY The first one was pure magic
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Gremlins- the ultimate Christmas flick. God the music to that film is awesome...
    The last film I watched a few nights ago was Django Unchained.

While I liked this film the first time I saw it, I adored it this time. Everything about it, from the script to the photography, acting, use of music, set design and more is top notch and Quentin is in full directorial form. Schultz may be my favorite Tarantino character yet because not only is he amusing and badass, it is fascinating to see a German collide with the unsavory ideals of the United States, principally the slave running south. His constant hatred for the act of slavery and abhorrence for men like Candie is striking, and the compassion he feels for Django and his cause palpable.

In what is a criminally unrecognized performance, Leo chews the scenery like an obese man in a hot dog eating contest, giving what is one of the greatest performances I have seen in a long time. He challenged all the perceptions of himself as an actor, going far and wide away from his comfort zone, and came out on the other end with a fantastic showcase of his talents. Hell, I couldn't pick one actor here that phoned it in if I tried. Everyone, from the lead cast to the extras feel natural, and the film looks exactly like a time capsule from the mid 1800s in its mastery of recreating the period during which it is set. The film balances the comedic and the morbid perfectly, all the pacing issues I had with the film on the first watch I now don't mind in the slightest and the action is biting and thrilling.

While many bigoted idiots will refer to Tarantino as a heathen and racist who disrespects blacks and white southerners, he isn't any of those things, and perfectly showed just how horrid and contemptible that piece of our American history was, violence and language in all. Like the great filmmaker he is, he dedicated himself to the story he wanted to tell and didn't sell out like other westerns would that'd scramble to depict the whites as redeemable people and not the monsters some were. Quentin showed the best and worst in all the races here, muddied the moral lines and created characters as fascinating and complexly compelling as imaginable.

As for the claims that Tarantino is a racist, I don't know how you can call a man that when his entire film is based on the premise of a man fighting back against his cruel white captors in an effort to get his revenge and save his beloved. In his feelings towards blacks Quentin seems to be about as racist as Dr. Schultz himself, meaning he doesn't have a racist bone in his body. This picture is quite a piece of filmmaking, uncompromising and artful in every aspect of its creation. Having re-watched it I am now more excited than ever to see Tarantino's next western film.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I am happy to hear of your adoration of 'Django Unchained,' as I'm in the same boat, only I loved it from the first moment I saw it. It's one of those rare films that I'm really, really excited for, and it somehow exceeds all of my hopes and expectations.
  • For all the praise Waltz got, I thought Leo was the standout performer in Django. Should've won an Oscar and a Bafta.
    For all the praise Waltz got, I thought Leo was the standout performer in Django. Should've won an Oscar and a Bafta.

My thoughts exactly. He's been shafted too many times when it comes to the Oscars, I was really surprised that he wasn't even nominated for one at that time.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I am happy to hear of your adoration of 'Django Unchained,' as I'm in the same boat, only I loved it from the first moment I saw it. It's one of those rare films that I'm really, really excited for, and it somehow exceeds all of my hopes and expectations.

Yes, it's quite a flick. I liked it at first quite fine, but this time I immersed myself even more in it and since I knew what was coming already, I got to know the characters and the world Tarantino crafted more, increasing my enjoyment tenfold.
    For all the praise Waltz got, I thought Leo was the standout performer in Django. Should've won an Oscar and a Bafta.

I agree. The man was electric in a role that was so new and off type for him, and was spectacular in it. It's amazing just how much he gets shafted when it comes to awards; the academy doesn't like him for some reason, which makes no sense as he comes off as a great man and actor. My friend was even telling me that when
    Candie hits the table in the film, Leo accidentally cut himself and that was his actual blood.
    If that is the case and he kept going in the scene unaffected, that's brilliant.