Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    timmer wrote:
    Last film I saw, non-cinema. Resident Evil: Retribution 5/5 stars Great film series. Its like Bond in that every entry is great and there is always another one on the way. This entry found a way to bring back old characters too, that we thought were gone.
    Resident_evil_retribution_poster.jpg

A few days ago, I held a Resident Evil season, all 5 films. I too enjoyed all 5 and am looking forward to the next one, however, I would single out Alfterlife as my favourite.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 4,622
    A few days ago, I held a Resident Evil season, all 5 films. I too enjoyed all 5 and am looking forward to the next one, however, I would single out Alfterlife as my favourite.
    A Resident Evil session. That sounds like great fun.
    There is lots that make these movies work as pure visceral entertainment I think, but what I enjoy is that each one is a colourful escapist entertainment fantasy populated by no shortage of superbabes in skin-tight fighting outfits, plus, hi-tech, low-tech and exotic natural settings, a mythology, crazed villains and a dash of wry humour.
    There is an appeal here for the fan of the more outrageous Bond adventures, or if one just enjoys the likes of Milla, Sienna Guillory, Michelle Rodriguez, Ali Larter and others running around fighting and looking real good.
    I'm not sure what my favourite is - maybe the last one. It was great to see Sienna back as Jill.
    Epic battle with Milla at the end!

Sienna-Guillory.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Funny, my friend has never seen a single RE film, so I brought all five up on blu-ray for us to have a marathon over the weekend.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Am I right in thinking the next one is the last one, out in 2015?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,894
    I've grown to like the films. Before I wanted them to follow the games, now though, I'm fine with them being a signature series for Jovovich.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Funny, my friend has never seen a single RE film, so I brought all five up on blu-ray for us to have a marathon over the weekend.

Don't forget to keep us updated throughout the marathon.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Am I right in thinking the next one is the last one, out in 2015?

According to <a href=http://www.movieweb.com/news/exclusive-paul-w-s-anderson-confirms-resident-evil-6-will-end-the-franchise">this</a>, it will be the last one, and the release date is indeed 2015.

@MajorDSmythe, will do. I'm looking forward to seeing how they wrap up the series.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Watched The World Is Not Enough last night and I've decided that it's Brosnan's best performance. Yeah he overacts a bit in one or two scenes but overall he does a great job playing a conflicted Bond: he's very cold blooded in this one but he starts struggling with a softer side once he meets Elektra. Quite well done I thought and I think it's more in line with how he wanted to play the character, which is why he's said in the past that it's the best of the Bond films he did.

The film itself is still one of my favourites even if it is flawed. The plot is interesting, the film is full of great characters, the theme song is great and there are some great action scenes in some nice locations. Robert Carlyle is pretty wasted but Sophie Marceau makes up for it. Elektra is one of the best villains of the series and one of the few Bond villains I feel sorry for.

I also don't get why everyone slags off Denise Richards. There have been much worse Bond girls and I didn't think she did a bad job or that she was unconvincing. She gave a decent performance and she was a nice bit of eye candy.

I also noticed something I love about the Brosnan era: how they got a lot of brilliant but not mega famous British actors into their films. Robert Carlyle, Robbie Coltrane, Sean Bean, etc. The type of actors that you're more likely to see on telly than at the cinema but that are really brilliant. I'd like it if the Craig era did this now (get people like Christopher Eccleston, Sheridan Smith, Phil Glennister in) rather than just going for the Oscar winners.

I think this film has the best cast of the entire series.

The films main problem is that it just seems a bit grey. There are some great locations but they don't look very nice (compare Istanbul in this film to Istanbul in Skyfall) and the action scenes could've been made more exciting with some better direction. That's one of the few things I like about DAD: the sped up camera bits and the way the action is shot give the film a sort of energy. Also, Robert Carlyle is wasted and the score is probably Arnolds weakest.

Overall though it's a very good film with a brilliant cast. 8.5/10.

I really wish Apted had done DAD. It's clear Brosnan enjoyed working with him, and he did a good job on this film. DAD would've suited him perfectly and I'm sure it would've been a much better film with him.
    I also don't get why everyone slags off Denise Richards. There have been much worse Bond girls and I didn't think she did a bad job or that she was unconvincing. She gave a decent performance and she was a nice bit of eye candy.

Wow!
    I think this film has the best cast of the entire series.

Double wow!
    Robert Carlyle, Robbie Coltrane, Judi Dench, Pierce Brosnan, Sophie Marceau and John Cleese. Best cast of the series for me.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Robert Carlyle, Robbie Coltrane, Judi Dench, Pierce Brosnan, Sophie Marceau and John Cleese. Best cast of the series for me.

Better than Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Javier Bardem, Naomi Harris, Rory Kinnear, Ben Whishaw, Ralph Fiennes and Albert Finney?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. A pretty enjoyable Steampunk adventure. Nice to see Connery having fun one last time. 8/10

I love that film. Sure it is not true to the source, and not equally good either. But I would not be without it.

Yes it does make me want to seek out the books. I did some research and in some later Books James Bond makes an appearence. Though It goes by the codename theory.

Oh, do check them out, they are more intelligent and mature than the film.

Better than Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Javier Bardem, Naomi Harris, Rory Kinnear, Ben Whishaw, Ralph Fiennes and Albert Finney?

Yeah because there are more actors I prefer. I think Cleese is a comedy legend and Carlyle and Coltrane are two of the best actors ever.

Yeah because there are more actors I prefer. I think Cleese is a comedy legend and Carlyle and Coltrane are two of the best actors ever.

I agree with you regarding Cleese but I think he was totally miscast as R/Q.
    You're Next

1374185285000-youre-next-03-300dpi-1307181811_4_3.jpg

A decent entry in the home invasion sub genre. Vinson made a likeable final girl. The 2nd kill, the one outside the door, I had a feeling that was about to happen. The one with the kitchen appliance, however, I didn't see that one coming. Messy.

Film gets bonus points for casting Barbara Crampton and Ti West. I think it's fair to say that You're Next can take it's place in my <a href="http://www.listal.com/list/horror-films-2010-2019"Horror Films: 2010-2019>list</a>.
    You're Next

1374185285000-youre-next-03-300dpi-1307181811_4_3.jpg

A decent entry in the home invasion sub genre. Vinson made a likeable final girl. The 2nd kill, the one outside the door, I had a feeling that was about to happen. The one with the kitchen appliance, however, I didn't see that one coming. Messy.

Film gets bonus points for casting Barbara Crampton and Ti West. I think it's fair to say that You're Next can take it's place in my <a href="http://www.listal.com/list/horror-films-2010-2019"Horror Films: 2010-2019>list</a>.

I see you're also a fan of Hatchet II. Great fun that :-)
    I have seen a lot of negativity aimed towards that film, but I thought it was a massive improvement over the first film. It's more OTT, and with an injection of humour. Plus we have Danielle Harris as Marybeth.
    I have seen a lot of negativity aimed towards that film, but I thought it was a massive improvement over the first film. It's more OTT, and with an injection of humour. Plus we have Danielle Harris as Marybeth.

It's deliriously tongue in cheek.
  • Watched Faster, great B movie...and How I Spent My Summer Vacation...which was a cracking little film...
    FUNNY GIRL - While I am not the greatest fan of Barbara as an actress I admit she does perform her comedy stick very well but it is when she sings that you realise she is easily one of the worlds best vocalists.
    Seen a few films in the last week:

Un Prophet 8/10
    It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World 6.5/10
    12 Years A Slave 9/10
    Arachnophobia 8/10
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    10 to Midnight

The Charles Bronson slasher flick. Hell yeah!

8/10
    Murdock wrote:
    10 to Midnight

8/10

You certainly like your Bronson flicks don't you @Murdock.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote:
    10 to Midnight

8/10

You certainly like your Bronson flicks don't you @Murdock.

As cheesy as they are. your darn right I do! :D
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Blood Diamond,

Exciting, thought provoking thriller set in the war torn Sierra Leone. Even though the film does push the sentiment at times it benefits from strong performances by its stars Leonardo Dicaprio, Djimon Hounsou and Jenifer Connelly. Edward Zwick's direction also captures both the beauty and the brutality of the environment very effectively.

8/10
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Blood Diamond,

Exciting, thought provoking thriller set in the war torn Sierra Leone. Even though the film does push the sentiment at times it benefits from strong performances by its stars Leonardo Dicaprio, Djimon Hounsou and Jenifer Connelly. Edward Zwick's direction also captures both the beauty and the brutality of the environment very effectively.

8/10

A hundred percent agree to everything. It is a rather disturbing film.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Blood Diamond,

8/10

A hundred percent agree to everything. It is a rather disturbing film.

Indeed, the scenes with the child soldiers are pretty horrific.

It's funny. While watching it I thought in some ways that, despite DAD referring to conflict diamonds, this was the film QoS wanted to be: a study of a country affected by poverty and political unreast. Blood Diamond manages to convey this in a more engaging manner though by putting us right in the middle of the environment (in Quantum the poverty was only really looked at in a couple of short, arty sequences).
    The Reef 4.5/6 , spin offs Shark Tale. Pretty good , something you can watch again and again.
  • Blood Diamond is when I first realised how good an actor Leonardo DiCaprio was.

Step Brothers

"Brendan has a mangina! Brendan has a mangina!" Hilarious film and I think I prefer it to Anchorman, The Other Guys, etc. Watched it on Netflix, I've only got the free trial atm but I think I might cancel my Sky Movies subscription and get this instead.
    Ahh, I love 'Blood Diamond.' Dicaprio is fantastic in that.

Well, this weekend I got through the first three 'Resident Evil' films - I love them, they're so entertaining to me, with 'Apocalypse' still standing as my favorite. Then, we finished the marathon (had to cut it up a bit because those of us watching had plans thrown in) last night with 'Afterlife' (didn't like this one as much as I recall enjoying it - really cheesy in certain scenes) and 'Retribution' (which isn't as bad as I remember it being when I saw it in theaters.) Then, we decided to do a Nolan Batman trilogy right after, watching the three straight through. Such a fantastic, incredible journey that Nolan weaves for us.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Been doing a 1990's marathon..

'Scent of A woman'
    Wonderful film with Al Pacino on top of his game.

'Primal Fear'
    Very good. Richard Gere can act! And Edward Norton was already excellent back in the days. Don't know about rewatchability due to the twists.. Now that I know the ending, don't know if the 2nd viewing will be as good as the first.

'A Time To Kill'
    All-star cast (Matthew McGonnaghey, Kevin Spacy, Patrick McGoohan, Kiefer Sutherland, Donald Sutherland, Oliver Platt) for this adapation of a John Grisham novel. Very captivating court-room film.

'Glengarry Glen Ross'
    Wow. What a film. Epic acting from Pacino, Spacey, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin. One of my fav movies now. Loved it.