Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Theatre Of Blood (1973)

theater-of-blood1-568x342.png

My favourite VP film. The unbridled relish with which he delivers his lines, it would come as no surprise to discover that this was one of Price's personal favourites of his films.

Vincent Price
    1. Theatre Of Blood (1973)
    2. The Masque Of The Red Death (1964)
    Does Diana Rigg play Price's daughter in that film?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Does Diana Rigg play Price's daughter in that film?

Yes, that's the film.

I remember Robert Morley being fed his pet poodles in it :-)
    That's right. He eats some of the pies (which contain his poodles), then after having been told by Price that they contained his beloved poodles, he is force-fed the rest eventually choking on them.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:
    In A Lonely Place

In%2Ba%2BLonely%2BPlace%2B09.jpg

I'd never seen this Bogart classic before but I can honestly say that I instantly rank it among my favourites. Superb acting, with a stunningly beautiful Gloria Grahame as a bonus, great dialogue and a surprise ending, this delicious film noir is top of the class.

It's been a while since I've seen that one, but it left an impression. Bogart's classic slips into madness/unrest/paranoia are always a joy to watch, this being just one of those fine performances.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'V/H/S'

This was the second viewing for me, but I wanted to introduce it to someone tonight and she surprisingly loved it, albeit flinched and hid her eyes throughout most of the movie. Can't wait to give the second one a rewatch now.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Stormbreaker

I recorded this months ago and forgot about it, then today I noticed it on the sky box so I decided to give it a watch. I can't remember which member it was now but whoever it was on here that recommended this film, thank you. I really enjoyed this, nice way to kill 90 minutes.

It's pretty much teenage James Bond. It starts of with a brilliant PTS where Ian Rider (Ewan Mcregor), an MI6 agent, is killed by an assassin after a motorbike chase in Cornwall. He had a nephew, Alex, who thought Ian was a banker, but since Ian's always away Alex mainly lives with this fit American housekeeper. MI6 knew he was onto something but it's too risky sending another agent in, the villain now knows that they're onto him. So they blackmail Alex into working for them (saying they'll deport the American girl if he doesn't), because who would suspect a 14 year old boy?

The film has an amazing cast. Bill Nighy, Mickey Rourke, Robbie Coltrane, Stephen Fry, Sophie Okendo and Andy Serkis. Stephen Fry is great as Q (I can't remember what he was called in the film but he's pretty much just Q) but the highlight is Bill Nighy. He's great as the M of the film, he's over the top but he is funny.

The story is really stupid but who cares, it's aimed at tweens really (apparently it was meant to compete with Harry Potter, Twilight, etc) and the film doesn't take itself very seriously so you just go along for the ride. The soundtrack sticks in your head, there are some funny lines and some great action scenes (the highlights for me were the PTS and a quad bike chase along an air strip).

There are also gadget, which was nice, as it's been ages since we had these in a Bond film. There's a nintendo that doubles as a bug finder and a smoke bomb, spot cream that can burn it's way through metal, a yoyo that's also a grappling hook and a rucksack that's also a parachute.

The villains are quite good too. Mickey Rourke is brilliant as the main baddy, OTT and menacing. He's a proper old school, Flemingesque Bond baddy with an underground lab and a pet jellyfish. Andy Serkis is his henchmen, a creepy silent butler type called Mr Grin*, and there's also an evil bitchy German woman and a Russian assassin played by Damian Lewis.

Alex Pettfyer is the lead and he's actually alright in it. On paper the character sounds like it could be annoying: a middle class schoolboy from Chelsea who's brilliant at everything (speaks loads of languages, martial arts expert, etc). But he actually manages to make Alex likeable and although he has some dodgy moments he's pretty good overall, much better than most child actors. He looks a bit old to be playing a 14 year old though. I haven't seen him in anything else but future Bond, maybe?

The only flaws I could think of were this: I didn't like the song that played over the titles, there were some really cheesey/crap bits (a horse chase and a fight scene in a house being the worst), and Damian Lewis was shit. It's surprising because he's a brilliant actor but he plays a Russian assassin and he's not convincing at all. Also it was a PG and there are a few scenes that suffer because of this (when one character is about to get executed at point blank range, the camera cuts away, and there's no swearing at all which makes some dialogue unconvincing). Could've done with a 12 rating.

Apparently this is based on the first in a series of books and it was meant to kick off a franchise but it flopped at the box office, which is a shame really, I'd like to see more of these. I can see why the books did well, who didn't wish they were James Bond when they were younger?

Anyway, I'd recommend this. It's flawed but it's lots of fun, especially if you're a Bond fan. It's a modern day Roger Moore film. The full film is on Youtube if you want to watch it.

8.5/10

*He's like Mr Kil from DAD meets The Joker from The Dark Knight.
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2! Have to say both movies were worlds apart from the previous 6! Certainly didn't expect some of the character outcomes! Have to say I did really enjoy it!
    The Lego Movie: Everything is awesome. Nuff said.
    dragonsky wrote:

I want to see that. Maybe have to wait for BluRay though.
    dragonsky wrote:

I want to know if the film fits together well :D
    BAIN123 wrote:
    dragonsky wrote:

I understand the CGI is quite blocky. ;-)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    dragonsky wrote:

I understand the CGI is quite blocky. ;-)

Is the humour good?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Insidious: Chapter 2

1373458337_insidious2.jpg

James Wan knows exactly what I like. While I am a strong opponent to indulging real-life claims of ghost presences or demonic possession with even the slightest bit of credibility, I am surprisingly enough a huge fan of old-fashioned ghost-house horror. The Conjuring, Dead Silence, Insidious, ... it's as if these films are made for me. And so I couldn't be happier to finally having watched chapter 2 of Insidious, a sequel that surely resulted from the big BO successes of Insidious.

With pretty much the same cast and crew returning, I2 is by all means a valid continuity effort. It manages, like the Saw films back in the day, to mix the current events up with those of the previous film(s) and thus expand the "mythology" of the films, making it more interwoven and intricate.

As for the scares, that's always a big issue with sequels. The novelty is quickly worn off when you enter the realm of a number two; surprises aren't quite as surprising anymore, the unexpected isn't quite as unexpected anymore, you still jump up but not as high as you used to. That said, I2 still has that scariness IMO. While perhaps not quite as effective as Insidious, it seems to yet again effortlessly deliver enough of the good stuff to keep us entertained for about 100 minutes. And given the success of this film too, I doubt we've seen the last of Insidious in the theatre.
    @DarthDimi, happy to hear you also enjoyed I2. I think with that wonderful ending the film delivered, we will most certainly see an I3 in the near future.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It comes out April next year.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    "The Birds"(1963), Alfred Hitchcock

Very suspenseful and an exceptional film. Highly recommended. Tippi Hedren was truly fantastic in this film.

4/5
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Android Cop (2014)
    The Asylum's answer to Robocop. It's cheesy and it's dumb. But it there is charm to it in it's badness and it had an interesting story. I can't really recommend it, but if your bored and want to watch something silly in your free time then it's a descent sit.

I can't really rate it as I would other movies. It is what it is.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    Kind of like Toxic Avenger?

:))
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Kind of like Toxic Avenger?

:))
    I've never seen Toxic Avenger so I don't know but I suppose so. :p

• Angels With Dirty Faces.
    Lastmanonearth1960s.jpg

Vincent Price is Dr Robert Morgan, a survivor of a plague that turned the world into vampire like creatures. By night, Morgan barricades himself in his house-cum fortress, and by day, going out looking for supplies.

The Last Man On Earth was an adaption of the 1954 book I Am Legend by Robert Matheson. A second adaption was made in 1971 as The Omega Man (with Charlton Heston) and a third in 2007 as I Am Legend (with Will Smith). The later even had an Asylum cash-in called I Am Omega (with Marc Dacascos).

Vincent Price
    1. Theatre Of Blood (1973)
    2. The Oblong Box (1969)
    ***3. The Last Man On Earth (1964)***
    4. The Pit And The Pendulum (1961)
    5. The Masque Of The Red Death (1964)
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Watching Taken 2 at the moment. God its soo bad, they're Taking the piss.

Turned over to watch Witness.
    Dredd (2012)

Pretty good. Felt like Die Hard in the future. Pretty good action and very well acted. Though I liked Judge Dredd 1995 better. I hope this does get a sequel someday.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Despicable Me

tumblr_static_minion.png

I'll be honest: I'm one of those people who simply adore the minions. ;-)
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Ghost Writer

Don't get me wrong, it's a good film, Pierce Brosnan and Ewan Mcgregor are great in it, but I have a hard time enjoying it when I know it was made by a peado who was never bought to justice.

When he was arrested and all those Hollywood types signed a petition to free him I lost respect for a lot of people (Martin Scorcesse, Micheal Mann, Bond's own Sam Mendes and nearly a hundred others all signed it). Yeah he's made some good films but that doesn't justify him drugging and raping a 13 year old girl then running off abroad so he can carry on making millions.

Normally I can separate a celebrities work from their private life. Bruce Willis is apparently a greedy, lazy twat but John Mcclane isn't. Tom Cruise is a crazy scientologist but I still enjoy the Mission Impossible films. Sean Connery thinks it's ok to hit women but he's absolutely brilliant as James Bond.

When it comes to Roman Polanski though I can't because not only was what he did really terrible, he hasn't suffered for it at all. I don't care how talented he is, I can't bring myself to respect him in the slightest. If he was really as sorry as he makes out then he wouldn't have ran away. He would've taken what he deserved.

So yeah, good film. Thrilling and atmospheric with great acting from everyone involved. Shame he had to direct it.
  • Marked for Death (1990)

Viewed this only a few hours ago and was largely disappointed, having seen it many times, but the last being a good many years ago. Seagal looks capable for sure, but would go as far to say On Deadly Ground or the Glimmer Man was more entertaining. Even the "surprise" at the end, didn't go very far in making up for a largely forgettable and lackluster movie experience. Seagal may be a favorite actor, but found this all rather disappointing this time around. Some say it's one of his best, but I begged to differ
    Marked for Death (1990)

Viewed this only a few hours ago and was largely disappointed, having seen it many times, but the last being a good many years ago. Seagal looks capable for sure, but would go as far to say On Deadly Ground or the Glimmer Man was more entertaining. Even the "surprise" at the end, didn't go very far in making up for a largely forgettable and lackluster movie experience. Seagal may be a favorite actor, but found this all rather disappointing this time around. Some say it's one of his best, but I begged to differ

Seagal's best for me is 'Out For Justice.' I've loved it ever since I was a young boy and it never gets old for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BACK TO THE FUTURE
    This is so damn bad. So why do I still like it?