Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Behind The Candelabra 2013

I was most curious from the moment this was green lit, the thought of Douglas donning the wigs and costumes and portraying Liberace was too much of an offer to miss and he doesn't disappoint. One of his greatest performances and worth all the awards it received. Not to sell Damon short who was simply magnificent in the role of his much younger lover Scott Thorsen.

Both actors spark off each other and this is a funny and tragic story, Soderbergh on fine form a much better display of his talent than both Haywire or Side Effects.

Shardlake wrote:

I was most curious from the moment this was green lit, the thought of Douglas donning the wigs and costumes and portraying Liberace was too much of an offer to miss and he doesn't disappoint. One of his greatest performances and worth all the awards it received. Not to sell Damon short who was simply magnificent in the role of his much younger lover Scott Thorsen.

Both actors spark off each other and this is a funny and tragic story, Soderbergh on fine form a much better display of his talent than both Haywire or Side Effects.

The real tragedy of the piece is that none of the major studios wanted to touch (presumably they didn't think it financially viable).

Thank heavens therefore for HBO.
    Shardlake wrote:

The real tragedy of the piece is that none of the major studios wanted to touch (presumably they didn't think it financially viable).

Thank heavens therefore for HBO.

Agreed, that being said a good percentage of HBO is far superior than most theatrical releases, (can't wait for True Detective to start over here) although in the UK it was released in the cinema.

If this had been released theatrically in the States, I think Douglas and Damon would have been a sure fire contender at least for Oscar nominees, both are simply incredible here, I don't think I've seen Matt Damon better and Douglas' commitment and no holds barred performance is mesmerizing.
    Just about to go to bed and I noticed The Matador on BBC1. I shall have to stay up now to watch it :-)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Harry Potter and The Prisoner Of Azkaban.

Definitely one of the best entries in the series. Cuaron found the perfect balance of lightheartedness and darkness with this movie and the effects are still looking topnotch.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just about to go to bed and I noticed The Matador on BBC1. I shall have to stay up now to watch it :-)

I like your style.

"I look like a Bangkok hooker on a Sunday morning, after the navy's left town."

Brosnan plays one amazing aged, sex-crazed assassin in that film.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Creasy47 wrote:

I like your style.

"A Vietnamese girl I once knew had her legs so locked together I couldn't get a whiff of her spring roll. Two drinks, half a quaalude later, I was at an all you can eat buffet."

Just about my favourite line ever. I always cry with laughter at that.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Creasy47 wrote:

I like your style.

"A Vietnamese girl I once knew had her legs so locked together I couldn't get a whiff of her spring roll. Two drinks, half a quaalude later, I was at an all you can eat buffet."

Just about my favourite line ever. I always cry with laughter at that.

More so than "I thought Christmas only comes once a year"? ;)
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Robocop Prime Directive: Dark Justice

Well, now I'm on to the TV movies. Let just say, this wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. This movie had a somewhat similar tone to the first film (as far as being dark in a way), but also brought back those things I enjoyed about the first one - the news breaks and their wacky headlines, violence (even though it was restricted to TV budget), learn more of Murphy's past. They have deviated somewhat on that last one, but I still wanted to know more of the Murphy before he was transformed. At times it felt so long and some of the props were cheap, but if they only made this into a real movies, it could have been great. B+
    I didn't know if that line was too crude to post here, @WillyGalore! Hands down my favorite line in the whole film. So blunt, sexual, and intense. Too hilarious.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I didn't know if that line was too crude to post here, @WillyGalore! Hands down my favorite line in the whole film. So blunt, sexual, and intense. Too hilarious.

Let's see if the Mods keep it uncensored ;-)

It's too good a line to ignore.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Let's see if the Mods keep it uncensored ;-)

It's too good a line to ignore.

I constantly think of how hilarious that line is. It's too rich to ignore.
  • For a Few Dollars More (1965)

It's a nonsense when most people say The Good the Bad and the Ugly is the best of the dollars trilogy when this particular release beats the others out of sight. This time Eastwood and Van Cleef are on the same side and Gian Volonte makes for a truly repulsive villain that radiates menace at every opportunity. Highly recommended viewing that always entertains
    For a Few Dollars More (1965)

It's a nonsense when most people say The Good the Bad and the Ugly is the best of the dollars trilogy when this particular release beats the others out of sight. This time Eastwood and Van Cleef are on the same side and Gian Volonte makes for a truly repulsive villain that radiates menace at every opportunity. Highly recommended viewing that always entertains

In fairness I haven't seen The Dollars Trilogy all that many times but FAFDM has always been my favourite too.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Detective (1968)

Nice little crime solving mystery movie with Old Blue eyes himself. I watched it out of curiosity because the Novel it's based on had a sequel which became the film Die Hard.

7/10
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,043
    Dallas Buyers Club 2014

The continued renaissance of Matthew McConaughey has become a hot topic, an actor who had become famous from starring in Romantic Comedies and mostly recognised for that genre started a new beginning when he starred in drama Lincoln Lawyer and then followed it with William Friedkin's Killer Joe both times playing against type and more recently in critically acclaimed crime drama Mud. Sometimes it's just blather and the publicity machine sent into overdrive but believe the hype because Mr McConaughey is nothing sort of a revelation here.

Dallas Buyers Club is very much a conventional film but that is not to do it a disservice, it's never mawkish, over sentimental or manipulative. This true story of Ron Woodruff an electrician and rodeo cowboy who happens to be an unpleasant, homophobe who promiscuous life catches up with him when he's diagnosed with full blown Aids, initially refusing to accept this due to the then media preoccupation with the virus being mostly common around gay people. Woodruff undergoes a transformation from a degenerate drinker and drug taker to a pure living lifestyle as well as become in embroiled in using non approved FDA drugs as alternative to the suspect and potentially life threatening legal option. Woodruff goes on a mission to obtain these drugs as although the authorities refuse to accept their validity and champion the big drug companies AZT as the only possible medication. When he tries to then supply others including crossing dressing gay Aids diagnosed Rayon (Jared Leto) he comes up against opposition.

After being hounded by the authorities and thwarted he takes the inspirational idea of rather than charging for the drugs having everyone pay a $400 membership a month and then they'll be supplied as much drugs as they need, The Dallas Buyers Club. The redemption of Woodruff never seems contrived or unrealistic as he learns to respect the community of people he is supplying as well as his obvious love although he wouldn't acknowledge it to him, Leto's Rayon. There is the relationship between Jennifer Garner's Eve a hospital Doctor he become drawn to which never becomes cliched but it is the one between him and Rayon that is the most compelling.

Not to sell Leto short, his performance is terrific but he's playing the kind of character we've seen before, the supporting cast including Garner are also strong but this is McConaughey's film. The fact that he undergoes the drastic weight loss employed by Christian Bale and Michael Fassbender in order to make is portrayal more authentic. Like both those actors it's more than just appearance that services his performance, McConaughey is mesmerising and you can't take your eyes off of him. He's been beating everyone to the punch at the awards circuit recently not unlike Leto in the best supporting actor category but if he wins the Oscar it will be no great injustice against the incredibly strong roster on display this year. This is an incredible achievement all round, made for a minimum budget and has been in development for years but now that it has finally arrived don't miss the opportunity to see it if only for it's lead's extraordinary performance

5/ 5
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Artemis81 wrote:
    Robocop Prime Directive: Dark Justice
    B+

Wow @Artemis81, you liked that mini-series a whole lot more than I did. I thought even the kiddified TV series was better. The guy playing Robo was like 5'4" and I just couldn't buy it. Even with the suit on he was always the shortest one in every scene. And the stuff with the dogs was just plain gross, not over the top crazy like the original film...
    Un long dimanche de fiançailles(2004) A beautifull and haunting movie about a lovely girl who lost her fiancee in the madness of WOI and does not believe he is dead. Her search shows the idiocy of war...... a brillaint movie.
    Until a few days ago, I've never watched a Star Trek movie before, nor any episode of the series, nothing. But I decided to watch at least a few of the older movies in order to see later the J.J. Abrams flicks to get a notion of his probable approach to Star Wars.
    So, I saw The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home. They first two were a little slow paced for me but they had their good moments. I like IV very much, it was the most entertaining.
    I wouldn't change Star Wars for them whatsoever, but now at least I understand now why Admiral Kirk yells "Khan", what a Klingon is and why Sheldon Cooper admires Mr Spock. It's ultimately a thing of general knowledge.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    0013 wrote:
    I like IV very much, it was the most entertaining.
    I love IV endlessly, but VI is my favourite. Skip V & give The Undiscovered Country a try.
    Cloud Atlas,

To be honest I don't quite know what to make of this having not read the novel it's based on (apparently un-filmable). Actors play several different parts and the story juggles a handful of timelines. Part of me wants to call it pretentious crap with overly convoluted messages and dialogue ("you have to do what you can't not do").

Yet there is stuff to admire. One has to appreciate the detail and some of the excellent visuals. There's also some pretty memorable (occasionally horrific) sequences, one example being of a slave in the future casually getting her neck broken.

For me though it all felt a bit too "artificial". I couldn't really connect to any of the characters. I've heard it grows on people though so may perhaps go back and re-watch it.

5/10

p.s. what is it with Halle Berry almost drowning?
    @BAIN123, I couldn't get into it at all. I love the Wachowskis and really wanted to enjoy 'Cloud Atlas,' but I feel like it's a love/hate film. I couldn't even finish it. It was just too confusing and all over the place to me.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @BAIN123, I couldn't get into it at all. I love the Wachowskis and really wanted to enjoy 'Cloud Atlas,' but I feel like it's a love/hate film. I couldn't even finish it. It was just too confusing and all over the place to me.

It's definitely a love/hate film. Apparently its divided a lot of people - both critics and the public. I found it hard to get into aswell but liked the second half more than the first.

It seemed like one of those films that was destined to be a big budget flop - in the same way as Heaven's Gate and Waterworld.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 40,492
    @BAIN123, any interest in the Matrix trilogy or their new film, 'Jupiter Ascending'?
    I like the first Matrix but have never been as big a fanboy as some. Not really bothered about their new film.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    254616.1020.A.jpg

This might feature a typically enigmatic Charlotte Rampling, but all other aspects considered, I prefer Mitchum's other Marlowe film, The Big Sleep (1978).
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Shardlake wrote:
    Dallas Buyers Club 2014

The continued renaissance of Matthew McConaughey has become a hot topic, 5/ 5

I will be checking out this film. McConaughey's acting does get better and better. He was real good in both Killer Joe and Lincoln Lawyer.
    Saw him recently in another Killer Joe like, low-budget film, Mud (2012). He was quite good, very intense and interesting in that too.
    I remember first seeing him in A Time To Kill in theatres (1996) and thinking that this guy was going to be big. I wasn't far off.

• Wadjda

What a great film Saudi Arabia? Yes...watch it...you will not be disappointed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    254616.1020.A.jpg

This might feature a typically enigmatic Charlotte Rampling, but all other aspects considered, I prefer Mitchum's other Marlowe film, The Big Sleep (1978).
    I've been meaning to catch that. It's on my must watch list.
    My buddy and I watched a few films tonight - all rewatches for me, all new to him:

'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'

Fantastic slow-burner with an excellent finale. One of the best casts I've ever seen, and the acting doesn't let up from start to finish, it's one hell of a spectacle.

'The House Of The Devil'

Yet another excellent horror addition by Ti West, getting creepier and creepier as it goes on until the unbelievably wild finale. For the longest time, though, I thought the big point of the film was supposed to be a twist/surprise, but it's marketed everywhere: back of my blu-ray case, pretty much tells you what it is in the opening credits, etc. Shame, really.

'Gangster Squad'

Didn't like it as much as I did the first time around, but for what it's worth, it's still an enjoyable movie. Casting is so-so and the acting feels pretty forced at times - especially Sean Penn's accent - but it's still entertaining enough to watch.