The Friday Salute: A user appreciation thread (THIS WEEK: StirredNotShaken aka SNS)

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    @0013 thank you so much/Muito obrigada! You know I do my best ;)

@4EverBonded that was amazing. Thank you so much! Haha the m.s. will forever remain our private joke.

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs thank you very much for your compliments! True, female scientists deserved better than those two but who know, our day may still come! Now, about the wings, I try to keep them high but sometimes it's not easy, but I get by with a little help from my friends (see what I did there?) and they are never down for long.

For next week I will repeat last week's vote for my friend @Samuel001.
    Well, by a landslide vote - I wish these would stop happening each week; it seems whoever votes first then gets their vote repeated by the forum at large: I don't feel there's any malicious intent with it of course but it would be much more interesting to get a variety of names each week - @Samuel001 is who we pay tribute to for this week.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Well, by a landslide vote - I wish these would stop happening each week; it seems whoever votes first then gets their vote repeated by the forum at large: I don't feel there's any malicious intent with it of course but it would be much more interesting to get a variety of names each week - @Samuel001 is who we pay tribute to for this week.

There's nothing wrong with that, there's just a lot of worthy names to get to and some of them don't make the cut each week, so we all vote in unison. Plus, you'll see that when this happens, there are still quite a few others who vote for someone else.

Now, for the wonderful @Samuel001: the master of knowledge, the eater of worlds, the man who is in the know and never out of the loop. I've had a few chats with him and gotten to know him more and more over these past few years, and he's such a kind, helpful, smart individual, I love his presence on the boards. He's usually the first to be in the know about something, he's helped me in the past by acquiring some SF material with ease, he's very smart on every topic I see him discussing, and he's the first to acknowledge others in terms of opinions, ideas, comments, etc.

Samuel, you're a great joy to have on this board, and I hope someday I have just as many people look up to me as they do to you. You're a great guy and I appreciate you being a friend and a helping hand these past few years. Cheers to you, and enjoy your week, mate!

Samuel is a top regular contributor to this site and has answered many of my own questions since I joined this forum! An all round top bloke! Keep up the good work Samuel! :-bd
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @Samuel001 Is someone members should look up too. He's been on these forums for ages, he's great with posting news (Bond or otherwise) and he's very good at remembering and finding threads. Very intelligent and thoughtful member that we're lucky to have.
    There are several members on this forum whom I admire and deserve a whole heap of praise. @Samuel001 is certainly one of those members. He is a font of knowledge (not just Bond but Sherlock and Dr Who also). He is friendly, witty, intelligent and is always one of the first to update us with interesting news items. Always quick to answer any of your questions or queries and if you're looking for a particular thread, he is helpful in pointing you in the right direction. A real asset to this community. ^:)^
    It's my pleasure to salute @Samuel001. He's one of my favourite members here so he was on my salute list from the start. He's always posting interesting things, both about Bond and other subjects. For example, his contributions when it comes to a certain Mr. Holmes are invaluable. I often find myself agreeing with his opinion and he's always articulate and considerate, a gem in this community. Cheers Sam!
  • @Samuel001 is always a dependable source of news, rumors, and all kinds of other great information. This forum is richer because it has him as a member. His humility in nominating and advocating @Dragonpol as the salutee in his place is only further evidence of his value here. Enjoy your time in the spotlight, for it's well-deserved!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Samuel001 the man with the photographic memory! Able to spot a duplicate thread the moment it's created. You are a member to be treasured to be sure and with an avatar like his, it's no surprise that he is a big Bond fan. I salute you buddy. Here here!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Thank you all. When I have the time I'll reply to each of you individually but for now will only say this is most gratifying and I would never expect such things said about me unless I was dead.

One of these days, I'll have to post a picture of myself, so yes, at last, you'll have a face to go with the name you secretly wish to throw darts into.

;)
    @Samuel001, I'll have to do the same. So many of you on here that I've known for years, and would love to have a face to put to the name.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm a bit late on the @Sandy salute, but I still have to say you're one of my favorite members around here. So wise and polite, I wish we had more female members around :)

@Samuel001, I've nominated you for this salute earlier for obvious reasons. I respect you a lot, you've been a true contributor to this community for ages, going back to the old KTBEU times. I appreciate your posts, and the help you provide the moderator team a LOT. Good to still have you with us mate, you truly deserve this salute :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I have the highest regard for @Samuel001 and I'm happy we are saluting him now!
    He contributes constantly, with great entries for news, thoughtful discussion, so very even tempered, funny, smart, and very good company indeed. He also has an amazing memory for threads. He is humble and kind, respectful yet not afraid to voice his opinions. He is a very longstanding member (going back to the old forum).

I am happy to toast you this week, Samuel! Please stick around - for a long, long time.
    Cheers! :-bd
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,809
    @Samuel001 is a great MI6 Community all-rounder and general old hand who can post at will and knowledgeably on any aspect of the James Bond universe you'd care to mention and that is his greatest quality for me. @Samuel001 is a cornerstone of the site as far as I'm concerned. He's also very kind, intelligent, calm and sort of an honorary moderator, if you know what I mean. Anyway, thanks for being here @Samuel001, you are held in the highest esteem by me and many others of course. Thanks too for all the kind things you said about me above. If only I could live up to them. @Samuel001, this is your week - enjoy it!
    @DiscoVolante thank you very much. I also wished there were more ladies here, though I must say we're few but we're good ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am surprised that you are so young. When reading your posts, I visualize you as Ian Fleming. I suspect that you are indeed him, or him reincarnated.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Sandy wrote:
    @DiscoVolante thank you very much. I also wished there were more ladies here, though I must say we're few but we're good ;)

Here here!

I haven't really thrown my two-pence worth in to this thread, but I will say that Sam has been a terrific member of this forum and non of us will forget his loyalty a couple of years or so ago when we really needed friends, and seemed to only have enemies. A few certainly stood shoulder to shoulder with us and none was more encouraging and supportive than Sam.

Cheers buddy.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @Samuel is a great guy. He always makes me chuckle when he, with good intentions shoehorns a link to a thread where a topic is already being discussed. But in all seriousness, a highly respected member and deserving of this honour. Well done, mate.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ah, @Samul001 - thread finder extraordinaire! But old Sam is much, much more than that. A really worthy member of our fine forum. Cheers!!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sam.
    He used to be responsible for roughly 85 % of all posts on KTBEU. ;-)

But, in truth, his posts count. He's a tremendous help in unmasking duplicate threads, plays by the rules and is as proud of this forum as this forum is of him.

@Samuel001, I salute you, my friend!

a-toast.jpg

Replies to you all are incoming. Give me a couple more days and read until your heart's are content.
    I don't know if it's his Fleming pic, the post counting, the way he writes or all the above, but @Samuel001 imposes respect in whatever thread he participates. My salute goes to you!
    Below are my responses to you all. Please reply to me if you want, on your comment or any other point you wish to discuss.

@Creasy47 - I try to be an all-round member and am always interested in what others have to say, after all that is the reason I'm here - to talk to others about Bond. My own rule number one when discussing Bond: My own opinion is never right. I've often thought our chats with each other were only brief but if they've meant something more, or if I've come across as something more to you, I'm thrilled.

@RogueAgent - I'll always help out where I can and will continue as long as time permits. Thanks mate.

@thelivingroyale - So far, I think it's more been a case of being in the right place, at the right time but I do like to keep my finger on the pulse as much as I can. As for thread finding, you just get a feel after being here for so long of what's been discussed and what hasn't.

@WillyGalore - Friendly, I like to think so but witty and intelligent? Well, it's nice of you to say so, thank you. I don't know anyone who would say that to me, but perhaps they keep that to themselves.

@Sandy - It's fantastic to be one of one women's favourites. I appreciate you find my Sherlock Holmes knowledge useful but it's often nothing more than news of the far-off programme's return. I hate to tell you, I haven't read a novel in my life!

@Soundofthesinners - It's nice of you to say this place is brighter because I'm here. As far as nominating @Dragonpol, I did so because he's a great member. It was never a forgone conclusion that I'd be chosen and really didn't expect to be, not for a long time.

@Murdock - As I've said, remembering what has been discussed is the key to finding duplicate threads. As for my avatar, I'd long to have the one I had in the old days back but as that was part of the avatar selection the forum offered, it's gone. I can't even find it on Google. But if anyone can, let me know! So when thinking about a new one, I thought, "who else?", so picked one of the only colour photos of Ian Fleming. A nice reminder to me, that he is why I'm a fan.

@DiscoVolante - Coming from someone who too, has been around for a long time and rarely comments, this truely does mean a lot. To find the time for me, thank you. Also, thank you for mentioning the moderator team. I try to help out where I can as you know but for someone on the team to say "yes, you're a great help" is very pleasing as often I wonder if I am. It comes from wanting this place to be as clean and fair as possible. The good news for you is, I don't plan on going anywhere if I can help it.

@4EverBonded - I've seen 'thoughtful discussion' brought up a lot and I've never really thought I'd be part of this category, I mean just look at some of the other members who bring up better points than and I feel give more to the community. My posts often aren't lengthy so if I do bring up points of interest, that is good to know because I'm finding more and more lately, getting the time to be here online is more difficult.

@Dragonpol - In that first statement I personally wouldn't include my literary Bond knowledge but I'm OK with that, as all it means is I still have much to learn and that is really what life's about. You live up to everything said about you @Dragonpol, get that blog going and my life, and your purpose, is complete. ;)

@Thunderfinger - I'm not that young! With the new wave of teens joining the boards I'm reminded of my age. Young enough for me though, that's for certain, I just have to spend this time wisely. I wish I was, or knew Fleming but alas I'm not him.

@NicNac - I stuck around for the people I'd enjoyed talking to for over five years, even though most left and the remaining ones were all moderators. I could have easily said "see ya!" but I wanted to be around at the start of a new beginning and watch and help it grow. Once again, always trying to help because, let's face it, people are great or most of them are and they are what make this world tick.

@doubleoego - You may laugh but I cry as I only fear I'm about to become another name on that member's hit list.

@royale65 - Thank you. More than a tread finder is good enough for me. Honest.

@DarthDimi - I'm talked to members about this and the old forum via PM and I no doubt ruffled many feathers when I joined and amassed so many posts in so little time, becoming 'King' of a world in which I had no right to belong in many people's eyes. I was also a target, Spamuel never got old to some and was even vented this name in anger with the swicthover in 2011 when I'd barely posted. This is part of what makes these messages so nice, I may still have God knows how many posts but perhaps I mean something to people this time. Plus having the highest post count is thankfully no longer my burden to bare. If the forum is as thankful of me as I am of those allowing us to use it, then I'm a very happy person indeed. Thanks for the picture.

@0013 - Thank you. That's very kind.

Thank you to all of you, once again.
    @Samuel001, they have. You're an excellent member to look up to here and I've enjoyed getting to know and talk to you on the forums.
    I think judging by the amount of people you've had to thank @Samuel001 just goes to show how highly thought of you are in this community.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    He has no use for maps because he knows where everything is at, finds foreplay unnecessary because the women already crave him as soon as he pulls up in his DB5, and when he enters your bathroom stall unannounced, you apologize to him. It hasn't yet gone on record, but he's the reason Chuck Norris has started to wear adult diapers because every time they share eye contact the so called "action-man" can't help but defecate himself in fear. Questions only exist so that he can busy himself with finding the answers, even though he already solved the Kennedy assassination, the Black Dahlia murder, that really complex looking Rubick's cube with a gazillion sides and dissected and refuted every single mathematical theory in known existence before he was even done being breastfed as a baby.

He has slept with so many women that pregnancy tests all over the word now have an extra option besides positive and negative results, warning that if the strip turns the color red, Sam has a 99.9% chance of being your future child's father. He spends his weekends bounty hunting, his chief targets being trolls, both in real life and on the inter-webs, his most famous hits so far being Kevin McClory and Touch_My_Buttons. It has been reported that the latter was killed while in the act of dancing embarrassingly to Lady Ga Ga music in front of a camera, wearing nothing but a cheetah patterned thong. We all owe you a massive debt for that one, mate. When things start going bump in the night, he bumps back and even your mother (yes, you reading this) has a tattoo of his name, encircled with a heart on her left cheek. He's the only man in the universe who Sir Sean Connery comes to for dating tips, and on a gentleman scale from 1 to Roger Moore, he scores a respectable 8.9, only losing points because he'll never get your daughter back home by her ten o'clock curfew and the only speed he knows is "fast."

The only thing bigger than his libido is the bar tab he can string up against any opponent with the balls to take him on in a drinking contest and the large numbers of girls that will wait hours outside his home just to catch a glimpse of him, if only for a second. Only Time is his master, and we're all adamant that he'll make death wait on a shoddy bus stop bench for centuries before taking up an appointment. For us guys, he's the man we all aspire to be, taping posters of his devilishly handsome face on our walls, and as for the ladies...well girls, he's the one that just left your apartment with a peck on the cheek and a playful slap on your rear, taking one of your bras as a souvenir. Sorry about that... That's right, folks: he's the one and only Mr. @Samuel001.

Needless to say, Sam is the man, plain and simple. Ever since I joined this forum he was one of the many I looked up to, in no small part because of that spectacular profile image of Ian Fleming that I now hold synonymous with his name. His dedication to the forum, both in welcoming new members, participating in intelligence discussions and sniffing out duplicate threads is only met by his sincere humanity and overwhelming modesty. He's truly a one of a kind guy, who never makes any stink around the place and does the best he can at any possible moment, doing whatever you need of him without a second thought. He's one you wouldn't mind taking home to mom, babysitting your children or guarding your most precious possessions, and most importantly, you'd be hard tasked to find a more dependable and genial man in equal measures on this earth. Here's to you, @Samuel001, a hell of a member and man on all accounts. :)>-
    Thanks for that @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, really. It must a taken a while to think up and much of it made me smile. I've had a few of those last comments said to me before, so you know, maybe there's something there. Now, to find someone special to show them to. Anyway, onwards to anyone else who has something to say - if there's anyone left! - or I'll reply to others before we move on.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It was my pleasure, @Samuel, though it didn't take much time at all to think it all up because most of it actually happened, especially the bits about the women. Seriously man, you've got them going mad for you. ;)
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 3,494
    I wish I had more time to comment for @Samuel001 but so many people have said much of it for me. My man Sam as stated has got a mind like a steel trap, the memory of an elephant, and calculates where to find a duplicate thread as quickly as LeChiffre calculates odds on beating his hand. He is obviously a master of the "search thread" button, and I know the mods rely greatly on him in these matters.

I can also say that Sam is as staunch a defender of mi6.com as Bond is of the realm. Come here and mess around, and you will find Sam waiting on you, proudly flying the MI6 flag and daring you to cross the line. And then, it's on!

So please allow me to buy you a refill- well, actually I told the bartender to put it on Dimi's tab ;). Enjoy your tribute Sam!

a-toast.jpg

Your friend and fellow defender of MI6,

Sir Henry

Voting begins today and through tomorrow for next week's honorary member.

I also plan to contribute to the thread starting next week now that exams are done and I can type out my proper thoughts on the forum's members.