The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2013 Posts: 12,459
    And I admit I have never seen it. Don't really remember the premise even.

From stills I have seen, I think Brosnan looked way better older and I'm glad he was not Bond sooner.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    After the sunset is an ok film and Salma was breathtakingly beautiful in it as per usual. Why she was never cast as a Bind girl is beyond me. EoN step your game up with the babes!

If Penelope Cruz could be considered, which I'm sure she was, so could Salma. All is not lost. As far as stepping up their game, if Berenice Marlohe wasn't just that, then you've lost me there.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    if Berenice Marlohe wasn't just that, then you've lost me there.
    I agree. Bond girls don't don't get any better than Ms. Marlohe.

And Remington Steele was good fun, especially season two.
  • I've never seen Remington Steele but I always got the impression that Pierce was the lead. was this not the case?
    I *LOVE* this:

edited October 2013 Posts: 581
    002 wrote:
    Pierce Brosnan would have been awesome as Simon Templar, The Saint. Best since Moore.

better than Val Kilmer?
    I suspect you are joking?
    That movie was terrible, and the casting of Kilmer managed to make it even worse. That guy almost ruins everything he is in. A bit like Ryan Reynolds.

Ofcourse :D though Kilmer did a good job in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Batman Forever- hey he wasnt the worse thing...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    I *LOVE* this:

You could hear Pierce's heart in every word. A brilliant and moving tribute.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2013 Posts: 12,459
    002 wrote:
    002 wrote:
    Pierce Brosnan would have been awesome as Simon Templar, The Saint. Best since Moore.

better than Val Kilmer?
    I suspect you are joking?
    That movie was terrible, and the casting of Kilmer managed to make it even worse. That guy almost ruins everything he is in. A bit like Ryan Reynolds.

Ofcourse :D though Kilmer did a good job in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Batman Forever- hey he wasnt the worse thing...

Val's a good actor, actually (and in my opinion pretty much nothing like Ryan Reynolds; I quite like Ryan, though): The Doors,Tombstone, Salton Sea, Heat

And I thought he was good in The Saint.
    I know, to each his own. Val may have an up and down career, but he is talented.

BACK TO PIERCE:
    Pierce knew the size shoes he was stepping into. He knew the history of Bond. He'd been thinking about being Bond for years before Goldeneye materialized. He knew Sean was the one who started it all, made it iconic. Pierce was under huge pressure to deliver in Goldeneye and he certainly did.

He has been rather harsh on himself sometimes in recent years. But I think that is part of his nature. Besides, if you are a decent sort, you don't go around blowing your own horn, do you? I think he's a real gentleman.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I *LOVE* this:

I have never had the chance to watch this before. Thankyou Chrisisall .
    BACK TO PIERCE:
    Pierce knew the size shoes he was stepping into. He knew the history of Bond. He'd been thinking about being Bond for years before Goldeneye materialized. He knew Sean was the one who started it all, made it iconic. Pierce was under huge pressure to deliver in Goldeneye and he certainly did.

He has been rather harsh on himself sometimes in recent years. But I think that is part of his nature. Besides, if you are a decent sort, you don't go around blowing your own horn, do you? I think he's a real gentleman.
    I quite agree with you here, @4EverBonded.
  • May have been posted before but I just found this interview which I thought was pretty funny.

Interesting how they talk about him doing one more Bond film after DAD. Shame that never happened.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote:
    After the sunset is an ok film and Salma was breathtakingly beautiful in it as per usual. Why she was never cast as a Bind girl is beyond me. EoN step your game up with the babes!

If Penelope Cruz could be considered, which I'm sure she was, so could Salma. All is not lost. As far as stepping up their game, if Berenice Marlohe wasn't just that, then you've lost me there.

Berenice was stunning but I should have made myself clearer; that EoN should step it up with the babes who are more well known and can give solid performances.
    doubleoego wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Berenice was stunning but I should have made myself clearer; that EoN should step it up with the babes who are more well known and can give solid performances.

I am fine with lesser known actresses that can give solid performances, at the end of the day the star of the movie is James Bond and not some well known female star.

We had one brilliant female star for 7 movies and people were bitching about her all the time. While I think she was brilliant for the franchise.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

I kind of like that they have gone with lesser known actresses for the Bond girls since the inception of the series (for the most part, of course). I know the series can afford famed actresses, but the less famous actresses they pick have a certain unseen beauty about them, and are easier to connect to onscreen as it feels more natural. In many ways, the films give the women more of a spotlight in the public eye than they had before, as with Eva Green and Olga Kurylenko of recent memory. The franchise can very much be a spring board for a career of promise now that it is considered an honor to be part of a Bond film.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 28,694
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've seen that picture of Pierce before somewhere, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. He doesn't even look like he's in his 20's there.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

I kind of like that they have gone with lesser known actresses for the Bond girls since the inception of the series (for the most part, of course). I know the series can afford famed actresses, but the less famous actresses they pick have a certain unseen beauty about them, and are easier to connect to onscreen as it feels more natural. In many ways, the films give the women more of a spotlight in the public eye than they had before, as with Eva Green and Olga Kurylenko of recent memory. The franchise can very much be a spring board for a career of promise now that it is considered an honor to be part of a Bond film.

I absolutely agree with you and to be honest I actually prefer lesser known actresses in the role, like you said, it essentially brings more authenticity to the character. However, I'm still if the belief that it's possible for EoN to cast a more known actress not necessarily super famous but just a bit more well known who can both be bone-chillingly beautiful and competently put on a good show.
    Not my favorite Bond or my least favorite. I generally like him better in non-Bond films. Saw him the other evening in LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED. A very nice performance well worth appreciating.
    Pierce is my 2nd favorite Bond, behind Roger. So, yes, he is appreciated.
    I never got this question answered. Did Pierce Brosnan ever say what was his favorite Bond film he did out of his 4 outings as Bond?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This thread will now be used to appreciate all things Brozzer
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Thought I'd bump this as there's been much more Brosnan hate than love lately thanks to a few members so I'd like to even it out a bit.

I was watching TWINE the other day and while it has it's flaws, I noticed just how good Brosnan was in the film. Yeah yeah he overacts at times and there's the "shoulder" bit and blah blah blah, but I think he gives a great performance and that the character is very interesting in that one.

In GE and TND, Brosnan is pretty cold and ruthless. He seemed willing to sacrifice Natalya on the train in GE. He got over the death of Paris very quickly in TND. He brutally killed Alec, Kauffman and Carver (and for some of them you could argue that he didn't have to), and then there's the countless henchmen he shot with machine guns over the course of the films.

There's the bit where Natalya asks him "how can you be so cold?" and he says something like "I have to to survive". And that's Brosnan's Bond. He's a killer and he's so used to it that it no longer even affects him. After experiences that would make a massive impact on most people, he just makes a quip (like throwing the goon into the printer in TND). And that's because he's so used to killing. It's just part of the job.

He starts off like this in TWINE. In the bankers office he's pretty cold and ruthless ("I'm giving you the opportunity to walk out with your life"). But then when he meets Elektra he seems to start to struggle a bit because he's found someone he actually, properly cares about. He knows he shouldn't give a shit about her and he knows he shouldn't trust her because it's just a mission but he does fall for her and she does bring out a softer more caring side to Bond than we've seen before in the Brosnan films.

You can see this when he kills her. A member on here once complained because Bond didn't kill her straight away, saying Connery or Craig would've ended it then, but that's not the point. The point is that he doesn't want to kill her. The same bloke who happily chucked his former best friend of a satellite, who got over the death of his on/off girlfriend in 5 minutes and who seemed prepared to sacrifice an innocent girl is now struggling to kill the baddy. He does of course and that's what makes it even more tragic. Not only does Elektra die but a part of Bond dies with her. Any humanity he'd had left is gone. He's back to being a remorseless sociopathic killing machine again who carries on because it's all he's really good at.

I thought this was very well done and I thought Brosnan did a great job playing a darker Bond that was struggling with his softer side.
    fjdinardo wrote:
    I never got this question answered. Did Pierce Brosnan ever say what was his favorite Bond film he did out of his 4 outings as Bond?

@fjdinardo According to a member on here, he once said his favourite was The World Is Not Enough because it was more in line with how he wanted to play the character.
    Thought I'd bump this as there's been much more Brosnan hate than love lately thanks to a few members so I'd like to even it out a bit.

I was watching TWINE the other day and while it has it's flaws, I noticed just how good Brosnan was in the film. Yeah yeah he overacts at times and there's the "shoulder" bit and blah blah blah, but I think he gives a great performance and that the character is very interesting in that one.

In GE and TND, Brosnan is pretty cold and ruthless. He seemed willing to sacrifice Natalya on the train in GE. He got over the death of Paris very quickly in TND. He brutally killed Alec, Kauffman and Carver (and for some of them you could argue that he didn't have to), and then there's the countless henchmen he shot with machine guns over the course of the films.

There's the bit where Natalya asks him "how can you be so cold?" and he says something like "I have to to survive". And that's Brosnan's Bond. He's a killer and he's so used to it that it no longer even affects him. After experiences that would make a massive impact on most people, he just makes a quip (like throwing the goon into the printer in TND). And that's because he's so used to killing. It's just part of the job.

He starts off like this in TWINE. In the bankers office he's pretty cold and ruthless ("I'm giving you the opportunity to walk out with your life"). But then when he meets Elektra he seems to start to struggle a bit because he's found someone he actually, properly cares about. He knows he shouldn't give a shit about her and he knows he shouldn't trust her because it's just a mission but he does fall for her and she does bring out a softer more caring side to Bond than we've seen before in the Brosnan films.

You can see this when he kills her. A member on here once complained because Bond didn't kill her straight away, saying Connery or Craig would've ended it then, but that's not the point. The point is that he doesn't want to kill her. The same bloke who happily chucked his former best friend of a satellite, who got over the death of his on/off girlfriend in 5 minutes and who seemed prepared to sacrifice an innocent girl is now struggling to kill the baddy. He does of course and that's what makes it even more tragic. Not only does Elektra die but a part of Bond dies with her. Any humanity he'd had left is gone. He's back to being a remorseless sociopathic killing machine again who carries on because it's all he's really good at.

I thought this was very well done and I thought Brosnan did a great job playing a darker Bond that was struggling with his softer side.
    fjdinardo wrote:

@fjdinardo According to a member on here, he once said his favourite was The World Is Not Enough because it was more in line with how he wanted to play the character.

I have to call you wrong on that. Bond told Natalya later on that he was calling their bluff. He was never going to sacrifice her which explains why he chose to shoot Ouromov and save her instead of killing Trevelyan and completing the mission.
    Sorry if this is the wrong thread for a Pierce question, but here goes: In his Bond movies he is seen using his gun with either hand. I wonder of this was on purpose or what? Don't recall any of the other actors using their left hand.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    @FLeiter : see at 1:57. If you remember that scene (left hand very quickly) but also in the Carver's stealth boat firing with his new Walther and the machine gun (I can't remember its name) so both hands.

• LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Another Brosnan's news : shooting "Survivor" in London

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11240&t=mi6&s=news

seems to be great, I'm looking forward to watching the trailer.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looking forward to "Long Way Down". The book was brilliant. Wonder what part Brosnan plays?

Looking at Pierce's photo there......he sure has aged and put on weight since I saw him in Mama Mia 6 years ago. Next to Roger, and possibly Sean, he is my favorite Bond.

• When will we see a trailer for November Man?
    Ellis wrote:

Looking at Pierce's photo there......he sure has aged and put on weight since I saw him in Mama Mia 6 years ago. Next to Roger, and possibly Sean, he is my favorite Bond.

He looks a bit like my dad in that photo.