The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Was watching a bit of The Matador on Sky + earlier. He's very funny in it and you can tell he's having fun.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Brosnan looks fantastic. Just set that new still from 'November Man' as my wallpaper, shame it isn't in a better size/quality.

@BAIN123, agreed. 'The Matador' is one of my favorite films of his, and he is fantastic as a sleazy, aging, drunken, sex-crazed assassin, like I said before. His lines in it are so hilarious and quote-worthy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Brosnan looks fantastic. Just set that new still from 'November Man' as my wallpaper, shame it isn't in a better size/quality.

@BAIN123, agreed. 'The Matador' is one of my favorite films of his, and he is fantastic as a sleazy, aging, drunken, sex-crazed assassin, like I said before. His lines in it are so hilarious and quote-worthy.

I did the same thing but I found a bigger pic. :)

hr_November_Man_1.jpg
  • He looks very good for a 60 year old, in fact he looks better far than Connery, Moore, Lazenby and Dalton looked at 60.

But no, he could not still play Bond.

If Stallone could do Rocky VI at 60, Brosnan could still play James Bond. They'd have to tone down the action maybe.
    He looks very good for a 60 year old, in fact he looks better far than Connery, Moore, Lazenby and Dalton looked at 60.

If Stallone could do Rocky VI at 60, Brosnan could still play James Bond. They'd have to tone down the action maybe.

Stallone turned Rocky into a joke by that point so I don't think you have a valid argument there.
  • He looks very good for a 60 year old, in fact he looks better far than Connery, Moore, Lazenby and Dalton looked at 60.

Stallone turned Rocky into a joke by that point so I don't think you have a valid argument there.

Rocky Balboa (the sixth film) was one of the better sequels. Brosnan playing 007 at 60 is a moot point as it's not happening.
    Agreed it is a moot point. But you're the one who raised the issue of him playing Bond at 60. I was making the argument for why he couldn't.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    James Bond should and I hope is never played by a 60 year old. I can't believe this is being discussed!

A good still though, if very ordinary.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Samuel001 wrote:
    James Bond should and I hope is never played by a 60 year old. I can't believe this is being discussed!

If Bond himself is portrayed as older (I mean a fair bit older, not like DC in Skyfall) it might be a different story. Can't really see Bond being portrayed as a 60 year old anytime soon though.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Glad to see some sanity here ;-)
  • Brosnan could play a better Bond in 2014 at 60 than Moore could in 1985 at 57. A lot of the old-guard (Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis) are still making action films and Eastwood made The Unforgiven (one of his best films) in his early 60s. Like I said, if Brosnan made another Bond film in 2014 they'd have to tone-down some of the stunts/action, but he could still pull it off, IMO.
    Brosnan could play a better Bond in 2014 at 60 than Moore could in 1985 at 57. A lot of the old-guard (Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis) are still making action films and Eastwood made The Unforgiven (one of his best films) in his early 60s. Like I said, if Brosnan made another Bond film in 2014 they'd have to tone-down some of the stunts/action, but he could still pull it off, IMO.

It would have to be him as an older spy though...or maybe someone called out of retirement to "help" in a case. You couldn't have him playing it like Moore did in AVTAK.
  • I thought recently that he was looking a bit past it but he looks brilliant in that picture so I've changed my mind when it comes to the question of "could he still play Bond?"

Brosnan looks better in that picture than Connery and Moore did by the end of their runs. If they actually acknowledged Bond's age (maybe doing a last mission or Bond coming out of retirement angle) then I reckon he could still pull it off.

Brosnan for Bond 25? ;)
    He looks very good for a 60 year old, in fact he looks better far than Connery, Moore, Lazenby and Dalton looked at 60.

Stallone turned Rocky into a joke by that point so I don't think you have a valid argument there.[/quote]

Rocky Balboa was the best film outside of the original and was a touching end to the series imo. Great send off for the character.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Brosnan could play a better Bond in 2014 at 60 than Moore could in 1985 at 57. A lot of the old-guard (Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis) are still making action films and Eastwood made The Unforgiven (one of his best films) in his early 60s. Like I said, if Brosnan made another Bond film in 2014 they'd have to tone-down some of the stunts/action, but he could still pull it off, IMO.

It would have to be him as an older spy though. You couldn't have him playing it like Moore did in AVTAK.

I think that's precisely the point. Stallone, Eastwood, Ford etc were all playing characters of their own age.

No one really wants to see a 60 year old Bond and there's no way could Brosnan pull off playing a younger Bond.
  • I actually wouldn't mind seeing Brosnan do a one-off non-EON Bond movie, like NSNA.
    I actually wouldn't mind seeing Brosnan do a one-off non-EON Bond movie, like NSNA.

But better than NSNA ;)
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    I actually wouldn't mind seeing Brosnan do a one-off non-EON Bond movie, like NSNA.

But better than NSNA ;)

I would hope...

• edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    No one really wants to see a 60 year old Bond

I think it'd be interesting actually, as a one off, unofficial sort of thing. One of the reasons I enjoy NSNA is because it played around with this idea but once Bond is sent on his mission they don't really do much with it. I actually posted an idea for how this could work on the Dalton appreciation thread:

PTS- Bond is on a mission trying to recover something and it seems to be going well; he's killing baddies, making quips, using gadgets, etc. But he's not as young as he used to be and he fucks up, he would've died if he wasn't saved by another agent in the nick of time. Turns out this isn't the first time this has happened, Bond's already lost his 00 status because the missions were too tough for him (he's been demoted to less dangerous jobs), and as much as he hates to do it, M fears that soon enough he'll have to let Bond go. It's also a bit like Indiana Jones 4, lots of people Bond loved are gone. Moneypenny got married and left ages ago, Q's died, Felix died in the field, Tanner moved to a different job and M is expected to retire very soon. He's a bit depressed and the job is really all he has left, so he manages to convince M to let him take on one last mission, for old times sake. M finds what seems like an easy enough job (but of course it isn't), so seeing how desperate Bond is, he gives him the mission. During this mission he meets some girl that he used to know (Natalya?), and by the end of it he marries her and retires to Jamaica.
    Even though November Man isn't a Bond movie, I'm going to pretend it is and Bond is just using a cover name to throw off the villain. ;)
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Murdock wrote:
    Even though November Man isn't a Bond movie, I'm going to pretend it is and Bond is just using a cover name to throw off the villain. ;)

After DAD the North Koreans put a bounty on Bonds head so he changed his name and moved to America, where he worked for the CIA for a little bit before retiring. That explains the backstory change in November Man.
    Murdock wrote:

After DAD the North Koreans put a bounty on Bonds head so he changed his name and moved to America, where he worked for the CIA for a little bit before retiring.

All I need. ;) Oh and he accidentally killed Jinx for good measure.
    I despise NSNA. I never want to see anything like that ever again.
  • Birdleson wrote:
    As far as Brosnan returning to the role. I would love it, but I don't see them (EON) going in that direction. Unlike with Connery in '71, the public is not demanding his return. I don't see them wanting to go back.

It'll never happen no but it's fun to think about. I'd like it if Brosnan (and Moore, Dalton and Lazenby) returned to do a video game at some point, like Connery did with FRWL.

Ah I see what you did there :p Do you despise it more or less than DAD? Personally I wonder whether its worse. At least DAD had a bit of energy in its action.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Ah I see what you did there :p Do you despise it more or less than DAD? Personally I wonder whether its worse. At least DAD had a bit of energy in its action.

That's a good question. Honestly, I don't know which I'd consider worse. On the one hand DAD is an utter travesty of a movie and on the other hand, NSNA is so bloody dull and tedious. It's enough to put me in a coma.

They probably both deserve to be at the bottom of the pile.
  • DAD>NSNA, 100x over.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    The pic from November Man looks great!
    I am psyched for this film. It looks like Brosnan rocks. Again. ;)
    I'm all for that.

I also remember the rumors about CR being the next film after DAD, and I do remember Judi saying that they were doing it - with Pierce. Judi had a very good relationship with Pierce, I think (just my impression). He did deserve a fifth film and a good one. He was not past it. Shame to end his era on DAD. And, not to drag up a big discussion about this point, but it was a shame the producers let him know his Bond days were over via a phone call (that's just not right).

Anyway, we shall all look forward to November Man. He has had a strong career after 007, unlike most of the other former Bonds. I'm happy for him in that regard.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Murdock wrote:

Yes! You and me both, @Murdock. Although I am sure it will be more than 2 of us doing that. ;)
    November Man looks(from just that still pic) and sounds(the plot) like a great movie for Pierce and us bond fans. I wish George lazenby and Timothy Dalton had something similar after their Bond terms.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote:

Yes! You and me both, @Murdock. Although I am sure it will be more than 2 of us doing that. ;)

Count me in as well, chaps!

@Murdock, do you have a link to that bigger image of Brosnan in 'November Man'? The one you posted isn't showing, and although it could be the one I found earlier, I'd still like a shot at the possibility of an even bigger image for a proper background. Mine is still pretty cropped and isn't as high-res as I would like it to be.