The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @Creasy47, I don't remember now, have you seen Seraphim Falls?
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Given this is the Brozzer appreciation thread. How did those that love him feel, when they first saw him on the big screen?

I was 11 when my grandfather took me to see GE. I'd been a Bond fan since the age of 3 and to me they were a thing of the past. When I heard they were producing a new movie I was ecstatic. I remember sitting in the cinema and the gunbarrel rolled. I will always remember that feeling - Bond is back.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I was 5 when I first saw GoldenEye. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. From the opening notes of the Gunbarrel music. (Serra's gunbarrel music is very exciting and fresh.) I loved everything about GoldenEye and still do to this day. It was the film that introduced me to Bond. It was like being sent into a new world. Brosnan just had that automatic coolness to him and he had all the cool action battle outfits. What's not to like? :)
    I was also ecstatic. It was a great experience, and a fondest of memories.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @chrisisall, absolutely, I thought he was phenomenal in 'Seraphim Falls.' Have you?
    @Creasy47 dude, I HAD to own that movie. It still blows my mind. On every level.
  • XXXXXX Banned
    A fondest of memories for me as well.
    I do love this bloke. Not only has he played Bond (not only has he sang the songs of one of my favourite band's (yes, I love Abba) but he's also narrated one of my favourite TV shows when I was little:

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    @Creasy47 dude, I HAD to own that movie. It still blows my mind. On every level.

Same here! It is nothing less than phenomenal, stellar work from start to finish.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's been nearly ten years since they were last on screen together, so it will be great to see them share it again, after all this time.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I haven't seen them yet in "Seraphim Falls" but I'm going to do it in a few moments. I heard they both played excellently.
    Always been a fan of Pierce Brosnan.He was a fantastic Bond and his 007 films were highly enjoyable.I great kick out of those sky broadband ads where he sends himself up!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    One of the things I love about Brosnan is that he may not be the best Bond but he was always the Bond that convincingly looked like actually being Bond is the best thing in the world. When BrosnanBond goes to sleep at night, when he's not banging some chick, he actually looks like he gets a very good nights sleep.
    doubleoego wrote:
    One of the things I love about Brosnan is that he may not be the best Bond but he was always the Bond that convincingly looked like actually being Bond is the best thing in the world. When BrosnanBond goes to sleep at night, when he's not banging some chick, he actually looks like he gets a very good nights sleep.

I agree with this.Quite the opposite of Connerys Bond actually who looks like he cant go to bed without having a woman in there with him.Just look at that scene in YOLT when his '' bride '' is asleep, Bond is awake and frustrated something wicked!

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think Brosnan's Bond was a Bond that most people would enjoy being. :)
    He was also excellent in 'The Ghost' (or Ghost writer in the USA) as the sleazy British Prime Minister.
    He plays him very well,leaving the viewer to wonder if he is a goodie or a baddie throughout the film.
    Here's Mark Kermode's review of A Long Way Down. He's not too keen on the film but very appreciative of Broz:

I enjoy Brosnan's Bond more than the others. His movies have really become classics up
    there with the best. I propose a toast to all three of them
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 19,339
    christmas wrote:
    I enjoy Brosnan's Bond more than the others. His movies have really become classics up

Not all 4 of them ?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    barryt007 wrote:
    christmas wrote:

Not all 4 of them ?

He probably doesn t count GE.
    Hahaha good point.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 55
    Die Another Day ? Never heard of it
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just had a thought. Connery and Brosnan were (totally my opinion here) the only Bonds who had two exceptionally good Bond films in a row.

DN and FRWL
    GE and TND

Some will say Moore with FYEO and OP, but I do not put OP on quite that high a level. I definitely do for DN, FRWL; GE and TND.

And maybe some would say GF followed by TB, but I don't rate TB that highly.

LTK is not a favorite of mine at all. Do the Daltonites really feel it is one of the best Bond films? I think some do, which would make Dalton on that list for them, too ... leaving out only Roger and of course the one Bond film for Lazenby, who had no second film.

In spite of a few scenes I love, I cannot count QOS as one of the best Bond films.

So that leaves me where I stand on that point. I do rate TND quite highly; others do not. So I know we are not in agreement, but it is an interesting thought.
    christmas wrote:
    Die Another Day ? Never heard of it

Haha, I think a lot of Bond fans wish they were in your position :p
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2014 Posts: 45,489
    I just had a thought. Connery and Brosnan were (totally my opinion here) the only Bonds who had two exceptionally good Bond films in a row.

DN and FRWL
    GE and TND

You are dead right about Connery. I would add GF and make it three. As for Brosnan, I do not wish to comment. You all know what I think anyway. ;)
    I wouldn't describe TND as "exceptionally good" by any means. It's got it's enjoyable moments and scenes but its pretty mediocre at best.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Do the Daltonites really feel it is one of the best Bond films? I think some do, which would make Dalton on that list for them, too ... leaving out only Roger and of course the one Bond film for Lazenby, who had no second film.

This one does, The Living Daylights & Licence To Kill are in 1st and 2nd place respectively on my list.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 55
    What are you talking about . . . Tomorrow Never Dies is in the top five Bond films and
    will stay there for the next 48 years to say the very least
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    christmas wrote:
    What are you talking about . . . Tomorrow Never Dies is in the top five Bond films and
    will stay there for the next 48 years to say the very least

Action overload, one note love interest, cheesey dialogue and the general feeling the film is aimed at teenagers.

Broz apparently doesn't like it much either.