The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote:

Thanks for the posting, that was the one I used, as well. I mean, it's not the worst, but it's definitely not exactly how I'd want it. Either way, it's nice seeing cool Brosnan walking away from that explosion every time I open my computer to sign in.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Thanks for the posting, that was the one I used, as well. I mean, it's not the worst, but it's definitely not exactly how I'd want it. Either way, it's nice seeing cool Brosnan walking away from that explosion every time I open my computer to sign in.

I love his outfit in that scene. It's my favorite Brosnan outfit next to the GoldenEye PTS battle outfit. ;)
    So do I, he looks so badass in that shot. I'm really hoping with that official look and the few behind-the-scenes photos of him driving the car and shooting that the trailer doesn't disappoint. It's in post-production and it's out this year so I'm hoping with that picture's release today, we get the trailer very, very soon.
    Me too. This is one of my most anticipated films of the year. :)
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    http://www.empireonline.com/features/film-by-film-pierce-brosnan/p1

Here's a nice article where Brosnan comments on some of his films. His thought's about TND are especially intresting, just because he says he still doesen't know what the film was about.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited February 2014 Posts: 7,314
    Well I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one then!

Also, this quote is great.... For me, the Bond that I played was caught in a time warp between what had gone before and what Daniel does now. I always felt the restraints of the storytelling and it just didn’t have enough bite to it. It was in the writing. The ghosts of Sean and Roger were there for me. It was hard to pull away from that because they were written in such a vernacular of what had gone on prior.

The Tailor Of Panama just seemed right. I loved John Boorman and his work was so captivating. I thought, “Why not shake it up here? Why not play in the same vain, the same idiom, so to speak, of storytelling, juxtaposed alongside playing James Bond?"
  • MrBond wrote:

Here's a nice article where Brosnan comments on some of his films. His thought's about TND are especially intresting, just because he says he still doesen't know what the film was about.

I wonder why they left of TWINE and DAD. PB seems like a nice guy--he always comes across that way.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    MrBond wrote:

I wonder why they left of TWINE and DAD. PB seems like a nice guy--he always comes across that way.

Probably because they wanted to slim down the article and not focus to much on his Bond-work.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    MrBond wrote:

I'll give PB his due, he's an interviewer's dream. Always accommodating and willing to talk about himself. I don't mean that in a snide way, actors can be difficult and prickly, Pierce is always gracious.
  • I'll add that The Ghost Writer is an excellent film and Pierce gave another great performance.
    I've just finished The Matador and have decided its one of my favourite performances of his outside of Bond. The film is rather improbable but he's a lot of fun to watch.
    I think the character is a bit too sleazy and crude to reflect Bond. Bond was a heavy drinker and womaniser but not as course.

:D
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2014 Posts: 12,459
    November Man: OK, I had not heard of the books. I checked quickly on Amazon and GoodReads. There are something like 13 November Man books! I am going to happily buy some; they got good reviews, too. I like finding new series to enjoy.

And just think: if this film is a good one, and it gets decent box office, there are other November Man stories to be made into films. Starring Pierce. :) The author (Bill Granger) has, sadly, passed away (last year). But he wrote other stories, too - crime dramas set in Chicago. So I will definitely check out his work.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    BAIN123 wrote:
    He seems to still destroy every vehicle he gets into.

It's the Standard Operating Procedure
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I hope the score for "November Man" will suit Brosnan's character and won't be too close to 007, whatever it may happen. I also wish it won't be a cliché action film score (à la Die Hard or something close to it). In my eyes, it's an important part of the potential success of this film, added to Brosnan's perf, the plot...
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Even though November Man isn't a Bond movie, I'm going to pretend it is and Bond is just using a cover name to throw off the villain. ;)

Yes! You and me both, @Murdock. Although I am sure it will be more than 2 of us doing that. ;)

Count me in as well, chaps!

@Murdock, do you have a link to that bigger image of Brosnan in 'November Man'? The one you posted isn't showing, and although it could be the one I found earlier, I'd still like a shot at the possibility of an even bigger image for a proper background. Mine is still pretty cropped and isn't as high-res as I would like it to be.

@Creasy47

http://www.wearemoviegeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/PierceBrosnan_NOVEMBERMAN.jpg
    I hope the score for "November Man" will suit Brosnan's character and won't be too close to 007, whatever it may happen. I also wish it won't be a cliché action film score (à la Die Hard or something close to it). In my eyes, it's an important part of the potential success of this film, added to Brosnan's perf, the plot...

Yes, I agree - but I am hoping, because of the source being an established character in a series of thrillers that it will follow that lead more strongly and not be a Die Hard or Bond attempt. I want a good thriller in its own right.
  • Birdleson wrote:
    Bond gone bad. When I rewatch the Bond films in order (which I do more often than I'd like to say) I usually slip this one in: Richard Shepard's 2004 dark comedy, THE MATADOR. This is two years after DIE ANOTHER DAY, Brosnan's last appearance as Bond before the was dumped by EON Productions, and two years before the revamp with Daniel Craig.
    I like to think of this as an alternative Bond timeline. I'm sure that it is no coincidence that Brosnan plays this character, Julian, as an assassin whose drinking, smoking (Pierce, mind you, was the first Bond that didn't smoke cigarettes) and womanizing have turned ugly and cheap. The Bond wit has morphed into stinging sarcasm, along with some very funny and raunchy lines. His nerves are frayed and he's becoming a liability to his employers. A sharp and fast paced dialogue, mixed with some excellent camera work give us a funny movie that also builds up some sobering tension now and then. Greg Kinnear is perfect as the straight man. The two, along with Hope Davis as Kinnear's wife, share some genuine chemistry. Check it out!

Just saw this movie. I had it on DVD forever and finally got around to seeing it. Great film and shows that Brosnan has some serious acting chops, as he plays a much different kind of character.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 645
    Trailer just released today, wanted to share it.
    Whilst I love Emma Thompson and great support from Timothy Spall and Celia Imrie, can't say I raised much of a chuckle at that trailer. Pierce still looks good though.
    If Pierce is in it, I'll watch it.
    I did happen to stumble upon this picture of Brozzers from Berlinale earlier this month. By god does he ever look good!

415px-Pierce_Brosnan_Berlinale_2014_-_02.jpg
    @StirredNotShaken, he absolutely does! Thanks for posting the pic.
  • He aged super well for sure. He's what... 52/53 in The Matador and he looks relatively 40
    Pierce turned, I think, 60 this past year.
    He'll be 61 this year.
    Pierce looks excellent for his age.

Also, every time I see this thread at the top of the forums, I get really excited and think that the trailer for 'November Man' has been released. I can't wait to see it.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    81e8536ca2d511e380b112526226ab9e_8.jpg

d3376aeca2de11e3bdd112ccf407965c_8.jpg