The Girls' Room

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    retrokitty wrote:
    I figured you for a chestnuts kinda guy actually, @CommanderRoss.

You got me there....
  • What do we mean when we say, chest nuts ? You work in scrambled messages too my friend !
    The news from U.N.C.L.E.

From the Alicia Vikander fan site:

There maybe a little coverage on U.N.C.L.E. in the upcoming Vanity Fair featuring Alicia. Also Vikander confirmed in a interview in Toronto that she starts UNCLE this week. Though we still don't have a name for her character she is the NEW girl from UNCLE.
  • Bump!

@Sandy rec'd me this thread from the "Show yourselves!" thread. Hello ladies! I'm Krissy, aged 25, from Toronto, Canada.

And I quite enjoy The Man From UNCLE, myself. Saving up for the complete series boxset. I got Bond50, Get Smart Complete and The Emma Peel Avengers boxsets for Christmas 2012, too! I'm also a big fan of The Prisoner and own Seasons 1-3 + 6 of The Saint (for obvious reasons). Very into 60s Spy TV!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    @Esprit welcome to the girls room! This thread has been gathering dust for a while but the arrival of a new girl seems to be the right time to bring it back into action. By the way this thread is not only for girls, there are a few (but good) boys always around.
    I'm a fan of The Avengers, The Saint and Get Smart as well. I must confess I never wawtched UNCLE but I will work on it sooner or later.
    Welcome Esprit (great name) from me, too. I opened this tread a while ago and since then, its always been up and down with it, but someone always thinks of bumping it, so that its still alive. Its interesting in good and lesser ways to live a forum life in a mans world, but it has all the info you need on the films and lots of other things. So - enjoy :)
  • @Esprit- It's less about spying and more about high tech thievery, although there is an element of spying and a touch of Bond in it with lots of beautiful women of the day (including Toronto's stunning Sharon Acker) and exotic locales, so I would recommend the "It Takes A Thief" collection and I know @4EverBonded would second me on that :)
    Sandy,

When you get the chance I think you will enjoy Solo and Illya's brand of adventure. Though they never had a budget close to Bond until now they had charm. Be sure to check into the "man from Uncle" thread to get introduced to the old series and new feature film.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    How come I didn't know this thread existed - I guess I haven't been visiting the forum much since Skyfall came out. Too busy doing other things I guess. It's nice to have an only ladies thread, but I see the guys are making conversation as well. Hopefully I'll get to chat more often as I've only been coming here on occasion to check out the BondCap thread. :P
  • Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! It's really nice to be among Bond fans. Especially Lady Bond Fans! In my experiences, I've found that there are a lot of younger female Bond fans, but they're mostly interested in just the Daniel Craig films. I love them, of course, but there are other parts of Bond I'm more interested in aside from romantically pairing him with Q. *giggle* Not that there's anything wrong with that! Well-written Fanfiction can be very juicy.

@SirHenryLeeChaChing - I'll take yours and hopefully @4EverBonded's word for it. It Takes A Thief has been on my list for a while. I like old movies and TV in general.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @Esprit: Ah, It Takes A Thief. Wagner is gorgeous and has a very delightful attitude. Love that show! Hope you can catch some episodes.

But Bond with Q? ... shudder ... no. Just no. Fanfiction or otherwise.

Nice to hear from you, too, @Artemis81! When GL started this thread, I thought of you. I see you are around sometimes. Welcome to both of you.

(Note: We kicked illumiwhatevertheheck goodbye a while ago; yay to that!)
  • @4EverBonded I mean, I'm not AGAINST Slash Fanfiction. It's a fascinating curiosity at best for me. I do have a lot of trouble picturing Daniel Craig necking with Ben Whishaw, though. It certainly wouldn't have happened in the days of Desmond Llewelyn that's for sure! Bond and Q should always be at odds at each other.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Good to see this thread bumped up again!

It is a very dangerous path to tread when discussing slash fiction or homosexual pairings with others of opposed views. You can easily come off as homophobic or vitriolic when that isn't your original intention. My favorite characters are Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, so I am used to defending against those that attempt to make them appear to be an "item". While I am not against homosexuality in the least, I do get annoyed whenever people make them out to be such a couple. I do think they love each other, like you would love or care about a close friend or family member, but nothing of the romantic sort. Though, people will make a couple out of literally any characters, from any show/film/book these days, and that's how it is.
  • Exactly, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I feel the same way about the Sherlock/Watson pairing, too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Esprit wrote:
    Exactly, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. I feel the same way about the Sherlock/Watson pairing, too.

I proudly wrote up an essay on it, as part of a cool Sherlock Holmes reading club called The Baker Street Bibliophiles that we have here where we read and review the stories. I did an analysis of their relationship for my review of A Study in Scarlet, naturally.
  • I'd love to read that essay!
    Esprit wrote:
    I'd love to read that essay!

Great! You can find the reviews I have done thus far for A Scandal in Bohemia and A Study in Scarlet on page 7 our own canonical Sherlock Holmes discussion thread here:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/6779/a-study-in-sherlock-discussion-some-spoilers-of-doyles-stories/p7

You can tell which review is mine by the templates I have made for each story, a fun little design project I wanted to do for the group to distinguish the Bibliophiles from others. My mini essay on Holmes and Watson is found in its own section in the Scarlet review.

If you are a fan of Doyle's work, we would love for you to join in our ramblings over there. :)
    Someone did a romantic pairing of Bond and Q? :O
    edited September 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Germanlady wrote:

You sound surprised. You should see some of the slash fan art for Skyfall. They go there BIG TIME.
    Germanlady wrote:

You sound surprised. You should see some of the slash fan art for Skyfall. They go there BIG TIME.

I AM surprised. But yeah, coming to think of it - after Bens announcement, its probably the obvious thing to do. And a manly man is always a draw for women AND gays equally.

• On a03.org, the current count for stories tagged with "James Bond/Q" is 1,858, including 216 crossovers with Sherlock.

Oh yeah. It's a biiiiig thing.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

I AM surprised. But yeah, coming to think of it - after Bens announcement, its probably the obvious thing to do. And a manly man is always a draw for women AND gays equally.

Like I said, people will make a pairing out of any two characters. And there's probably more slash with Bond and Silva than him and Q.
    This talk reminds me of the latest Baker Street Babes podcast, I had no idea there was some much of this kind of fan fiction around.
    Sandy wrote:
    This talk reminds me of the latest Baker Street Babes podcast, I had no idea there was some much of this kind of fan fiction around.
    You listen to their podcast too? Wonderful! :)
    Sandy wrote:
    You listen to their podcast too? Wonderful! :)

I started recently, they are good fun.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited September 2013 Posts: 543
    Nice to hear from you, too, @Artemis81! When GL started this thread, I thought of you. I see you are around sometimes. Welcome to both of you.
    I noticed. I managed to skim through the last 22 pages. Luckily I wasn't participating much at that time as there were some heated debates. :( Anyways, slow day at work today so just browsing the forum.
    Shameless plug for the new Girl from U.N.C.L.E.. Here are the first photos of Alicia Vikander with Henry Cavill, Armie Hammer and Hugh Grant.

http://bit.ly/1f0uGdp
    Is it strange that I think Hugh Grant is looking better and classier than the other 2?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ooooh, I like Hugh Grant, even after all these years (first came across him in Four Weddings and a Funeral). I do agree, Sandy. :)

Thanks for sharing the pictures, delfloria.
    Looks like the new Girl from U.N.C.L.E. is named Gabby Teller.