SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• Risico007 wrote:
    and when can we stop bashing Quantum of Solace. I love that film and am kinda sick of the hate toward it shall we continue to bash the rushed production of A View to a Kill?

that said looking forward to bond in 2014

I think Bond could be released in 2014 based on what I have read online & interviews I have watched. We should stop bashing on QOS because I too, thought that movie ruled. If you hate QOS, you may just be looking at it from the wrong angle. Bond is downright pissed off. He beats serious ass. That entire movie is an amazing action flick from start to finish. Remember the first scene? One of my favorite scenes in all of the Bond franchise.

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Strelik wrote:
    [quote="Germanlady"On a side note: In the final minutes of that particular interview, Sam Mendes firmly states that he envisions Moneypenny returning to the field alongside Bond in the next film instead of remaining desk-bound. As such, -if- Mendes returns as director and -if- he contributes to the Bond 24 plot, it seems quite likely that Moneypenny will be "back in action" as a sidekick with Bond on the next mission.

NO!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I hated Helen's character in Skyfall, though I think that was the intention. I couldn't see that character as MP.

Not the character but the actress, I think that is what GL meant.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 5,767
    Strelik wrote:
    [quote="Germanlady"On a side note: In the final minutes of that particular interview, Sam Mendes firmly states that he envisions Moneypenny returning to the field alongside Bond in the next film instead of remaining desk-bound. As such, -if- Mendes returns as director and -if- he contributes to the Bond 24 plot, it seems quite likely that Moneypenny will be "back in action" as a sidekick with Bond on the next mission.
    Sounds like Wei Lin/Jinx all over again. And I thought I´d have nothing against Mendes doing another Bond.

If he really thinks about such stuff, giving more prominence to supporting characters, it means he doesn´t really know where to take Bond to.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Strelik wrote:
    In the final minutes of that particular interview, Sam Mendes firmly states that he envisions Moneypenny returning to the field alongside Bond in the next film instead of remaining desk-bound. As such, -if- Mendes returns as director and -if- he contributes to the Bond 24 plot, it seems quite likely that Moneypenny will be "back in action" as a sidekick with Bond on the next mission.

Havent had chance to listen to the clip yet. Does he really say this? How 'firmly does he state it?

Because if its true I would sooner Mendes walk away from the series as this idea (which was just about excusable in SF) if continued would be utter bullshit to anyone who has half a brain. Lets have Q, Tanner, M all tooled up and tagging along in the field as well - a sort 007 Avengers Assemble. What bollocks.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think Mendes said it to be strategically diplomatic and PC and to not cause offended to the woman who asked the question. If MP does go back out into the field don't be surprised if its to serve a similar role how the character was "out in the field" in DAF.
    So what did I miss while I wasn't on the forum? What's new? We are definitely getting Mendes for B24? Will he be only for B24? What about Deakins? At the moment I want him back for B24 more than anyone.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    doubleoego wrote:
    I think Mendes said it to be strategically diplomatic and PC and to not cause offended to the woman who asked the question. If MP does go back out into the field don't be surprised if its to serve a similar role how the character was "out in the field" in DAF.

I haven't listenned to the clip yet but I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly what happened. I think people might be reading too much into that comment.
    dragonsky wrote:
    So what did I miss while I wasn't on the forum? What's new? We are definitely getting Mendes for B24? Will he be only for B24? What about Deakins? At the moment I want him back for B24 more than anyone.

Good to see you back @dragonsky. Re Mendes, waiting official confirmation but all indicates that yes. Re Deakins, I think if Mendes does come back he will want him on board once again :)
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Germanlady wrote:
    I would like her to go out and get some information herself, she knows Bond needs and somehow doesn't have, which again endangers him. (...) IMO, the books shouldn't be the main concern but interesting plot and twists. Helen McCrory would have been the perfect MP for me.

Hm, well, how to say it without spoiling 6 movies at once ? Well, in *almost every Sam Mendes movie* (5 of 6)...
    someone very, very high in the casting list dies near the end

..so maybe he wants Moneypenny in the field again for some reason :)

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am not totally against the idea of Moneypenny going into the field, per se. But I want it limited. I think it could be fun and interesting, if not overblown. I am a lifelong Bond fan - but I'm still open to new takes on things. I don't need Moneypenny to be only a secretary, but really I like her character as a minor supporting character, and to retain something of the "office" bound-ness of the original character. But they can stretch it in different ways for me. I know I am definitely in the minority on this forum when I say that. But yeah, I can be open to it, to a certain extent.
    I am not totally against the idea of Moneypenny going into the field, per se. But I want it limited. I think it could be fun and interesting, if not overblown. I am a lifelong Bond fan - but I'm still open to new takes on things. I don't need Moneypenny to be only a secretary, but really I like her character as a minor supporting character, and to retain something of the "office" bound-ness of the original character. But they can stretch it in different ways for me. I know I am definitely in the minority on this forum when I say that. But yeah, I can be open to it, to a certain extent.

Its utter garbage. Who has a job as someones secretary but is also expected to go out and get shot at? Its one or the other.

M - 'Wheres that report I asked you type up?'
    Moneypenny - 'Oh I had to fly out to Moscow to help 007 to assasinate that double agent.'

Is this EONs way of addressing the recession by having MI6 regulars being forced to double up their job duties? What next? M with the rubber gloves on and his arm up the u-bend in the gents? Q refilling the paper towel dispenser and the tampon machine in the ladies? Bond nipping out to Londis when they run out of Hobnobs and PG Tips?

Shes a secretary. Thats her job.

She used to be a field agent but deicded its not for her. So now she isnt one.

Aren't we taking this A BIT too serious? I think, some here do. After all, we are still in the world of Bond, where everything is possible or almost. Its not a documentary. With her experience as field agent (which the old MP didn't look like having) this character has a new background and hence might be up for a bit more then just typing letters now. Nothing wrong with it in my book as long as we still get our other two Bond Ladies. MP always was just a sidekick and should remain just that and within those borders, she can get some extra screen time - just not tooo much.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    With her experience as field agent (which the old MP didn't look like having)

With Bond's brother, she fired gun, machine gun, etc...

vlcsnap-2013-06-05-23h15m55s35.png

So - if SHE did it, what is the problem?

BTW, I did see them all, but many are not in recent memory. So cineastic Bond has the brother? Its not entirely clear, that he exists all in all as far as I know.

Pearson states that James had a brother one year older, named Henry Bond, while Higson portrays James as an only child. Pearson also explains that Bond entered Eton in Autumn 1933, while Higson has Bond entering Eton mid-term in January 1934. And Pearson states that Bond was born in Wattenscheid, while SilverFin establishes that Bond was born in Vienna.
    http://pjfarmer.com/woldnewton/Bond.htm
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited June 2013 Posts: 2,044
    Germanlady wrote:

BTW, I did see them all, but many are not in recent memory. So cineastic Bond has the brother? Its not entirely clear, that he exists all in all as far as I know.

Pearson states that James had a brother one year older, named Henry Bond, while Higson portrays James as an only child. Pearson also explains that Bond entered Eton in Autumn 1933, while Higson has Bond entering Eton mid-term in January 1934. And Pearson states that Bond was born in Wattenscheid, while SilverFin establishes that Bond was born in Vienna.
    http://pjfarmer.com/woldnewton/Bond.htm

He means the spoof starring Sean Connerys little brother, Neil Connery in the lead role. I think the movie was called "Operation Kid Brother" and contained a lot of the original cast such as Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell, Anthony Dawson, Daniela Bianchi and Adolfo Celi!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    If you go back to the interview and listen to it, you'll find Mendes is just giving a what-if scenario to the doesn't-want-to-admit-she's-a-feminist. It could happen, it also could not. The MI6 staff should, and I hope will, be kept in London next time.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Germanlady wrote:
    Aren't we taking this A BIT too serious? I think, some here do. After all, we are still in the world of Bond, where everything is possible or almost. Its not a documentary. With her experience as field agent (which the old MP didn't look like having) this character has a new background and hence might be up for a bit more then just typing letters now. Nothing wrong with it in my book as long as we still get
    our other two Bond Ladies. MP always was just a sidekick and should remain just that and within those borders, she can get some extra screen time - just not tooo much.

I'm all for progression in every aspect of this life. To me it's not about a woman having to sit behind a desk. Bond has had female counterparts before and I'm fine with that. It's the idea and really the general theme that Fleming created of a person sent out on their own, left to their own devices, dealing with the pressure of knowing that either you will succeed in your mission or die. Or worse yet that you will be captured and left for dead. Hence the term secret agent. Notice that this is in the singular term and not the plural?

Of course Bond has allies and contacts along the way that he desperately needs to help him succeed. Since Bond cannot die these allies will often perish or suffer horrible injuries. This is done to reinforce the fact of how dangerous his profession is. Bond himself is tortured at times. Again, it's not the idea that a woman can't be involved but rather the concept of a shadowy figure emerging from the darkness to either ascertain the truth of the situation or face his own impending doom.

This idea of James Bond, the secret agent, is at it's most powerful when he is left to rely on nothing but his wits, raw strength, intuition and perseverance. This is the core concept of the character that Fleming created. The films have deviated from this course from time to time over the years but they always inevitably return to the genesis of Bond's central theme. The man who stands alone and apart, sometimes even from himself.

edited June 2013 Posts: 9,117
    pachazo wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Aren't we taking this A BIT too serious? I think, some here do. After all, we are still in the world of Bond, where everything is possible or almost. Its not a documentary. With her experience as field agent (which the old MP didn't look like having) this character has a new background and hence might be up for a bit more then just typing letters now. Nothing wrong with it in my book as long as we still get
    our other two Bond Ladies. MP always was just a sidekick and should remain just that and within those borders, she can get some extra screen time - just not tooo much.

I'm all for progression in every aspect of this life. To me it's not about a woman having to sit behind a desk. Bond has had female counterparts before and I'm fine with that. It's the idea and really the general theme that Fleming created of a person sent out on their own, left to their own devices, dealing with the pressure of knowing that either you will succeed in your mission or die. Or worse yet that you will be captured and left for dead. Hence the term secret agent. Notice that this is in the singular term and not the plural?

Of course Bond has allies and contacts along the way that he desperately needs to help him succeed. Since Bond cannot die these allies will often perish or suffer horrible injuries. This is done to reinforce the fact of how dangerous his profession is. Bond himself is tortured at times. Again, it's not the idea that a woman can't be involved but rather the concept of a shadowy figure emerging from the darkness to either ascertain the truth of the situation or face his own impending doom.

This idea of James Bond, the secret agent, is at it's most powerful when he is left to rely on nothing but his wits, raw strength, intuition and perseverance. This is the core concept of the character that Fleming created. The films have deviated from this course from time to time over the years but they always inevitably return to the genesis of Bond's central theme. The man who stands alone and apart, sometimes even from himself.

Well said Sir.

Having HQ in his ear all the time has gone far enough as well. Just flirt with MP, get the mission off M and a gadget off Q - and thats it!

Lets get back to Bond on his own against massive odds without this cast of thousands holding his hand every step of the way.

Hence why I am hoping for a different Director
    Have we seen the same film? As I saw it, he pretty much relied on his own and everthing that was mentioned above. Hell - he was send into a deadly mission without even being ready for it. What more do you guys ask for?
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,400
    You do have a point. But I did enjoy how mi6 played a more core role in SF. Mendes has always said that his plan with Bond was to reposition mi6 at the centre of Bond's world as he felt the films were always relying on Bond going off on a mission and always risked becoming episodic.

The Craig movies have always been very careful in developing the world around Bond especially with his relationship with M, who over the course of the first two movies becomes very much the distant mother to a younger Bond.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 4,400
    Deleted
    Germanlady wrote:
    What more do you guys ask for?

Can't speak for everyone but I'd like less screen time for M, Q and MP, also get rid of the earpiece.
    Germanlady wrote:

You honestly thought that Moneypenny battling baddies alongside Bond's brother was a real Bond film?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    If you go back to the interview and listen to it, you'll find Mendes is just giving a what-if scenario to the doesn't-want-to-admit-she's-a-feminist. It could happen, it also could not. The MI6 staff should, and I hope will, be kept in London next time.

I hope you're right. I'd honestly rather have no Mendes if it means more Moneypenny.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    pachazo wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Well said Sir.

Having HQ in his ear all the time has gone far enough as well. Just flirt with MP, get the mission off M and a gadget off Q - and thats it!

Lets get back to Bond on his own against massive odds without this cast of thousands holding his hand every step of the way.

Bond hasn't been getting his hand held. In CR he gets all the way from the Bahamas Miami to Montenegro and beyond without hardly any MI6 involvement. He has a moment where he calls them when he is poisoned, but Vesper is the one that really saves him. He didn't "had them in his ear" all the time, and most often HE was the one that contacted them, in addition to telling them about the bomb at the airport, a worthy concern he thought his superiors should be informed about. In QoS he is hardly ever with MI6, more working apart from the agency to uncover Greene and his plot, and MI6 only really get involved near the end when Fields is dead, but Bond just escapes and goes away with Camille to stop Greene without MI6 being involved anyway. In Skyfall he has MI6 in his ear during the PTS, but that is only because it was a big mission involving men M was responsible for, so it is obvious she would be involved heavily with the mission and in Bond's ear to hear what was happening second by second. Other than that, the only others that "get in his ear" are Eve at the casino and Q as he goes through the tunnels, hardly Bond having his hand held.

Moments like these are things I love in the new era of Craig. Espionage is a team game, and I think this era has continued to show that. Think how many times Q has saved Bond from death. Now, Q wasn't barking in his ear all the time, but he is the main reason that 007 is still alive to this day by making some great gadgets. Without him, Bond would have been dead in FRWL, only the second Bond film. Moneypenny gives him the necessary papers and information he needs from London or even on location at times, and M is his major source of information and briefing on any issues he is going to face on his mission. Without them and their different ways of keeping Bond in check and alive, he would never make it.

My point: Bond has always relied on MI6; it isn't anything new.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,015
    You honestly thought that Moneypenny battling baddies alongside Bond's brother was a real Bond film?

Hey, maybe one day will see M battling baddies alongside Bond's father's gamekeeper !

Hey, maybe one day will see M battling baddies alongside Bond's father's gamekeeper !

Ha, fair play :)
    How long does Charlie and the Chocolate Factory run for anyway?
  • Germanlady wrote:

thanks for posting the link. One of the conversations that I hadn't seen/heard. Sam Mendes is a brilliant speaker (his directors commentary on the SF Bluray is very good). Really waiting for the confirmation that he will indeed be back in directors chair for the 24th adventure. He always speaks so positively about his experience on SF and admits that there are a few things he would have done differently. In the conversation with Greengrass he says that a director returning to the same franchise is always difficult because you have to make a better film (he states that Greengrass himself made a better Bourne film the THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM over THE BOURNE SUPREMACY). I think if Mendes does return its because he believes that he can make a better film than SF. I adored SF and am really looking forward to Bond 24 if indeed Mendes comes back.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    While I'm not really keen on the idea of Moneypenny being out in the field with Bond, those expecting an old fashioned Bond adventure with 24 are likely to be deeply disappointed while the idea of an old fashioned style entry might get the likes of The Wizard hard, I don't think the masses would accept Bond like this within the Craig era.

While this has been reset at the end of SF with familiar traits put in place for a new beginning I think it will more likely be a new take on these characters and not a film like one of the prime Connery's those expecting Bond sent out to save the world type film have clearly not noticed that the world has moved on and this would simply look absurd things have moved on whether your fan boy fantasies have or not.

• Shardlake wrote:
    While I'm not really keen on the idea of Moneypenny being out in the field with Bond, those expecting an old fashioned Bond adventure with 24 are likely to be deeply disappointed while the idea of an old fashioned style entry might get the likes of The Wizard hard, I don't think the masses would accept Bond like this within the Craig era.

While this has been reset at the end of SF with familiar traits put in place for a new beginning I think it will more likely be a new take on these characters and not a film like one of the prime Connery's those expecting Bond sent out to save the world type film have clearly not noticed that the world has moved on and this would simply look absurd things have moved on whether your fan boy fantasies have or not.
    I'm glad you brought this up. I wasn't sure if I was the only one who interpereted the ending of Skyfall this way, but I didn't necessarily see it as a return to old school Bond. I took it as returning familiar elements from the Bond films of old and ushering them into the new era of Bond. Actually I felt that much of the final act reinforced that idea. The return and the demolition of the DB5 and Skyfall signaled a sort of paying respect to the past and what came before, but letting go and moving on into a new era.