Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

Yh seem's to have all but ended it's run in China by the sound's of it reports of only a 4 week run seemed to be correct then.
  • RC7RC7
    They are still showing it 5 times a day at the Leicester Square Odeon.
    RC7 wrote:
    They are still showing it 5 times a day at the Leicester Square Odeon.

Thats from the weekend probably to coincide with dvd/blu ray release strange cinema listing where are new films such as die hard 5 and wreck it ralph the two top films in the UK at the moment?
  • htall90 wrote:
    Yh seem's to have all but ended it's run in China by the sound's of it reports of only a 4 week run seemed to be correct then.
    It's hard to be always wrong :)
    [I mean : in all these box office forums, where everyone keeps on making predictions and then adjusted predictions (!), "being correct" is far too often just "being lucky".. We never had a reliable source SF would be there 4 weeks, just hearsay...]
    I have given the info the first Hobbit viewing was sold out, so I think it means total fiasco is very unlikely, but it would be silly to infer it should do 50 or 70 or 90 M$ there. Anyone with such skill should immediately stop reading forums, enter a marketing company, and become very rich very fast :)
    The irony is that all these box offices "real-time" estimates that are now semi-public, are made for and paid by the marketing companies.
    ...its difficult at the moment to judge SF's individual BO tallies in some countries as the exchange rates have been fluctuating quite a lot lately.
    Ive noticed that for example the BO figure in the UK for SF has been rounded down a bit in the last few weeks. :O
  • mepal1 wrote:
    ...its difficult at the moment to judge SF's individual BO tallies in some countries as the exchange rates have been fluctuating quite a lot lately.
    Simply use the money of the country, or the attendances estimates...
    mepal1 wrote:
    Ive noticed that for example the BO figure in the UK for SF has been rounded down a bit in the last few weeks. :O
    "has been rounded down".. by BoxOfficeMojo, despite their popularity here, they are not a primary source, they have no team phoning the theaters to inquire about the business...
    "a bit".. well, in two weeks, BoxOfficeMojo removed $5M for the "cumulative" BO figure in the UK. That shows how meaningless the last 6 or even 7 figures of BO are for blockbusters :)

• edited February 2013 Posts: 5,821
    From France: 213 tickets sold last week, for a grand total of 6 989 673 seats.

BTW, SF is only playing in two theaters this week in Paris. Won't be on our screens for long.
    Any news this weekend or is it's run basically over?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Updates to the US total come on Monday's now, but it's almost over. I'm sure we'll get a few more million. Maybe $1.111 billion? ;)
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Updates to the US total come on Monday's now, but it's almost over. I'm sure we'll get a few more million. Maybe $1.111 billion? ;)

Last week, the new updates for 'Skyfall' arrived on Tuesday evening. It grossed $8 Million worldwide over the course of one week. So we'll have to wait until Tuesday for sure until the 'weekend estimates' have become 'final weekend grosses'.
    True because it's no long top 10 in American we have to wait a while. It's run does seem to have ended in China thou so fairly big drop this week.
    It's Monday and we're up to $304,164,760 in the US. Still on 184 screens too.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Yes, they're really milking this cow...or is that horse, now.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Yes, they're really milking this cow...or is that horse, now.

That's what they always do with such blockbuster hits (plusminus + $850 Million worldwide). Look to 'The Dark Knight Rises'. Its worldwide gross was changing well into december 2012. 'Twilight' and 'The Hobbit' are still on the box office charts as well. By the way: This is a nice 'showdown comparison' between CR, QOS and SF: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=craigbonds.htm
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 5,821
    6 989 740 tickets sold now. But given that SF plays now only in two theaters in Paris, and one of them is only showing it at 3 am as part of a special Bond night (the last three movies in one showing), I think it's safe to say that that movie's french career is well and truly over.
  • Gerard wrote:
    I think it's safe to say that that movie's french career is well and truly over.
    It's still being shown now in movie theaters that are in holidays locations (skiing locations for instance), and it will until the holidays are over (it means you should still be able to see it somewhere - in dubbed version - in a 100+ seats theater in three weeks I think). They are not all listed on the Internet I think, there may be still a dozen or more.

A random link to see Skyfall on Monday in the moutains :

http://www.programmes-cinema.com/cinemas/cinema-le-lumiere-le-monetier-les-bains.html

But, as far as tracking the box office for marketing is concerned, it's over, no more campaign to tune, hence the estimated attendance numbers are less and less relevant. To know if the symbolic 7M has been beaten (right now, it could be 6.7 as well as 7.2, frankly), it will be around May when the CNC publish its figures.

Boring, I know :)
    Latest figures published show 'SF' has now reached a whopping $1,115,019,456 worldwide.

We may not know for a while what the final figure for the film will be, but when all the tiny final sums of money have been added up, it could add upto the film getting close to $1,120 billion.

Anyway, as 'SF' was so well received, i expect it to also now do stellar business in the DVD market!.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mepal1 wrote:
    Latest figures published show 'SF' has now reached a whopping $1,115,019,456 worldwide.

We may not know for a while what the final figure for the film will be, but when all the tiny final sums of money have been added up, it could add upto the film getting close to $1,120 billion.

Anyway, as 'SF' was so well received, i expect it to also now do stellar business in the DVD market!.

I'd love to know how much they grab from that. Does anyone have figures for the CR and QOS DVD sales? Might be useful for a first wild guess. ;-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I suppose it's been posted here, but I read on blu-ray.com the other day that SF is now the third highest grossing blu-ray of all time, and it broke records by having the most sales in one week than any other blu-ray ever. Very, very cool.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I suppose it's been posted here, but I read on blu-ray.com the other day that SF is now the third highest grossing blu-ray of all time, and it broke records by having the most sales in one week than any other blu-ray ever. Very, very cool.

Rest assured, if there is a record, Skyfall will break it! ;)
    mepal1 wrote:

Good going! It'll just miss out on beating Transformers. X(
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, of course! I don't care what graphs anyone feels they want to shove in my face in this thread, SF performed well past anyone's expectations, and it's a beautiful site. Now, with having been on home format for just a few weeks, it's already broken the highest grossing one-week sales record AND is at the third highest grossing blu-ray of all time spot? Wonderful news.
    mepal1 wrote:

WTF! Source please @mepal1. I wanna update my 'Action/-Spy Thriller Movie List' again! BoxOfficeMojo and EntGroup seem to be rather slow in updating the latest figures. I scream again: "Sourceeee" :-P.
    mepal1 wrote:

WTF! Source please @mepal1. I wanna update my 'Action/-Spy Thriller Movie List' again! BoxOfficeMojo and EntGroup seem to be rather slow in updating the latest figures. I scream again: "Sourceeee" :-P.

Yh what source this not on box office mojo or box office.com?
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,015
    htall90 wrote:
    It's on boxoffice.com

Sorry to be boring again, and I'd need a graph to explain it, but what you perceive as a sudden appearance of $7M is most probably just a different way of counting the same amount of currencies. Remember that BOM simply removed $5M at one moment from the UK gross because of the way their algorithm works :)

Or another possibility, the studio may be "fudging" the box office computation method to ensure the Hobbit does more than $1bn for PR reason, and SF may benefit from that (same studio, MGM).

I think in the next few months, when possibly even more "new" figures pop up for the box office of SF (the figure of CR has changed years later...), you'll realize what I meant during all these days : take all this with a 10% pinch of salt...

htall90 wrote:
    It's on boxoffice.com

Sorry to be boring again, and I'd need a graph to explain it, but what you perceive as a sudden appearance of $7M is most probably just a different way of counting the same amount of currencies. Remember that BOM simply removed $5M at one moment from the UK gross because of the way their algorithm works :)

Or another possibility, the studio may be "fudging" the box office computation method to ensure the Hobbit does more than $1bn for PR reason, and SF may benefit from that (same studio, MGM).

I think in the next few months, when possibly even more "new" figures pop up for the box office of SF (the figure of CR has changed years later...), you'll realize what I meant during all these days : take all this with a 10% pinch of salt...

Yh some fudging going on how could $7mil be made suddenly when it's run is basically over everywhere and is out on dvd in most countries. I was expecting a few million more but not $7 mil more.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,119
    htall90 wrote:
    It's on boxoffice.com

You are quite wrong here. 100% certainty we won't get. Off course not. But in the end the figures -BoxOffice.com, BoxOfficeMojo.com and Entgroup.cn- will be matching the 1.15 Billion, give or take only a few Millions. I'd say that's around 97/98% certainty no?

I'm fully aware of how this works. I've been following the box office figures of 'The Dark Knight Rises'. And deep into december still several thousands of Dollars were added every week on both BoxOffice and BoxOfficeMojo. Right now, these are the figures of this movie:

$1,081,041,287 --> BoxOfficeMojo.com
    $1,079,343,943 --> BoxOffice.com

And also the difference between BoxOfficeMojo.com and BoxOffice.com of 'The Dark Knight':
    $1,004,558,444 --> BoxOfficeMojo.com
    $1,003,434,911 --> BoxOffice.com

Here you are....only minimum $1 Million, maximum $2 Million between each gross counts of each movie. And considering the fact that in the end BoxOffice.com is slightly more conservative with their figures.......I'd think it's healthy to say the total worldwide gross of 'Skyfall' is closer to $1,115,019,456 (BoxOffice.com) than to $1,108,153,338 (BoxOfficeMojo.com). Moreover, BoxOfficeMojo.com hasn't been updating the foreign figures for a whole week now, except the foreign figures from China.

And again, taking into account the run of 'The Dark Knight Rises' (July 20th till mid December in the USA)......'Skyfall' will add a couple of 1000 Dollars each week until April (November 9th 2012 till April 2013?). The bad thing of it all is that this goes incredibly slow. With 'Quantum Of Solace' we would have had certainty by now. 'Skyfall' is a different thing though. Cinemas still feel they can earn money from it. Its longevity is simply too good.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,015
    You are quite wrong here. 100% certainty we won't get. Off course not. But in the end the figures -BoxOffice.com, BoxOfficeMojo.com and Entgroup.cn- will be matching the 1.15 Billion, give or take only a few Millions. I'd say that's around 97/98% certainty no?

Well, no.

The two basic points are that :

- none of your three sources are primary sources. You're NOT looking at a figure obtained by several independent methods of estimation here.

For instance, the US domestic figures for BOM and BO are exactly the same. With your reasoning, then it should mean 100% accuracy ?! No, it means just the same source.

- $ represents only a third of the total gross. Over the last weeks, the $/Euro or $/Pounds has changed about +/- 5% (remember euro + pounds are more important than the $ for SF). Depending how you want to fudge the figures, you have then 10% of margin between the "worst case" and the "best case". I'll let you guess which one is used by PR from the studios. Notice that SF is getting 7M$ more "out of the blue" just the same day as when the PR of the Hobbit announces it has done more than $1bn (same studio for both movies).

Let's try another approach :

Since BoxOfficeMojo has a strong reputation here, I'll let you judge how they handle the two hottest topics of box office here :

1) Thunderball vs Skyfall ?

BoxOfficeMojo does NOT list "inflation adjusted worldwide" figures.

So BoxOfficeMojo would say nothing about it. It seems I'm not so alone to say the debate was so meaningless.

2) Week to week tracking of the Worldwide figure ?

BoxOfficeMojo does NOT provide an week-by-week breakdown of total Worlwide figures.

It gives only the first few weeks usually (while it can give 18 weeks for some little country..). The list that was done in the first post by looking regularly at BOM is NOT available on the site. Imagine you had such a list for every movie, and imagine you keep on seeing that every now and then for many big movies, suddenly 5M$ pops up out of nowhere near the end, would you consider it so seriously ?

And finally, remember we'll know for instance France's most accurates figures only around May (publication of our state office report).

And well, you'll still be able to see Skyfall in France in a few holiday locations movie theaters as late as the 25th of March anyway :)

Here the past has shown that variation between estimates and true figure can be up to 3% (I think the biggest discrepancy was for the last Pirates of the Caraibes, about 150.000 attendees more than the last estimate - don't quote me, I'm doing all this from memory).

So 3% of measurement noise + 10% of exchange rate fudging in the end... That's why I usually talk about a 10/15% pinch of salt.
    A comparison then between 'Skyfall' and 'The Hobbit' (source: BoxOfficeMojo.com):

'Skyfall':
    Week 01 --> $119,837,108 $06,684,208 difference from 1st week of 'The Hobbit'
    Week 02 --> $185,641,149
    Week 03 --> $229,029,189
    Week 04 --> $250,620,080
    Week 05 --> $265,366,063
    Week 06 --> $275,091,774
    Week 07 --> $285,027,378
    Week 08 --> $293,729,570
    Week 09 --> $297,793,213
    Week 10 --> $299,887,074
    Week 11 --> $301,252,887 $00,092,887 difference from 11th week of 'The Hobbit'
    Week 12 --> $302,296,578 $00,893,832 difference from 12th week of 'The Hobbit'
    Week 13 --> $303,025,906
    Week 14 --> $303,630,997
    Week 15 --> $304,021,217
    Week 16 --> $304,221,709
    Week 17 (March 1st - 7th) --> So far: $304,295,238

'The Hobbit':
    Week 01 --> $113,152,900
    Week 02 --> $189,700,814 $04,059,665 difference from 2nd week of 'Skyfall'
    Week 03 --> $246,289,507 $17,260,318 difference from 3rd week of 'Skyfall'
    Week 04 --> $269,044,187 $18,424,107 difference from 4th week of 'Skyfall'
    Week 05 --> $280,989,741 $15,623,678 difference from 5th week of 'Skyfall'
    Week 06 --> $289,938,470 $14,846,696 difference from 6th week of 'Skyfall'
    Week 07 --> $294,292,520 $09,265,142 difference from 7th week of 'Skyfall'
    Week 08 --> $296,865,052 $03,135,482 difference from 8th week of 'Skyfall'
    Week 09 --> $298,884,345 only $1,091,132 difference from 9th week of 'Skyfall'
    Week 10 --> $300,160,000 only $0,272,926 difference from 10th week of 'Skyfall'
    Week 11 --> $301,134,992
    Week 12 --> (March 1st - 7th) --> $301,402,746

The long run in cinemas of 'Skyfall' in the USA keeps continuing. When taking into account both the 11th week of 'Skyfall' and 'The Hobbit', 'Skyfall' now officially brought in more money than 'The Hobbit'. How long this will last is a different story, but sjee these two movies are competitive :-). Who would have thought beforehand that a bunch of Hobbits would struggle against one secret agent :-).