Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

So 'SF' must be doing pretty well in China, as total has reached $1077.8 mil.

I mean, the US gross must be so small now, that its not even reported, though if film is still in cinemas there, the gross will be reported on Monday.
    Rest of International market, has virtually finished contributing any worthwhile sums to the total............so its all down to China now.
    Can Chinese market take 'SF' to $1.1 billion or more?............if so then i will also believe that 'SF' has reached the top of the Bond money pile with 'TB'. ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    So it's doing better than everyone was saying, is that it?
    Sandy wrote:

Well by my reckoning, it means 'SF' must of so far managed to of grossed around $30 mil, or more in China in its first week!

Yes, last time I looked, we were at around 34.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Sandy wrote:
    Hm, one people said the opening day was a major disappointement because $5M is weak, and many others repeated it in order to have some Google hits from people looking for the news, I'd rather say :) Many others were waiting, because they knew the viewings were actually sold out in many theaters Monday at 0:00 (the only session of the week that was the "week-end", before the next Friday night)..

Note though that in the end, if, for instance, SF in China does as much as TDKR, some will say it's a success, and some others will say it's a flop !
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,081
    I guess this thread is suited for figures from any country, so I thought I'd report from my own. Skyfall became the most watched movie in Finland last year in its first 2 weeks in the theatres (it opened here on the 26th of October). The total number of people who saw it by the end of the year was 615 895 (NB: the total population of the country is about 5,4 million), which was roughly the double the numbers of the next few movies on the list, the next 4 making it just past 300 000.

:)

Oh, and I'm off now to see it again... :D

• edited January 2013 Posts: 1,098
    Tuulia wrote:
    I guess this thread is suited for figures from any country, so I thought I'd report from my own. Skyfall became the most watched movie in Finland last year in its first 2 weeks in the theatres (it opened here on the 26th of October). The total number of people who saw it by the end of the year was 615 895 (NB: the total population of the country is about 5,4 million), which was roughly the double the numbers of the next few movies on the list, the next 4 making it just past 300 000.

Oh, and I'm off now to see it again... :D

Well done to the Finns!

:D

Oops, and I meant tickets sold, of course, not number of people... some of us saw it several times...

Really gotta go now...
    Skyfall could make what it should in China maybe now e.g $80 mil as Qos made $20 mi four years ago and the Chinese market is 4 times bigger now so it should make $80 mil hopefully. Also it's been out in Shanghai and Bejing for two weeks so this will be added to the gross now.
    Tuulia wrote:
    :D

Oops, and I meant tickets sold, of course, not number of people... some of us saw it several times...

Really gotta go now...

Enjoy :)
    PopCannon ‏@popcannon
    With a strong $34M week in China, #Skyfall has now passed Pirates 2,4 & Toy Story 3 for 8th highest-grossing film of all time
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Let's hope the film secures a 007th spot. ;-)
    Germanlady wrote:
    PopCannon ‏@popcannon
    With a strong $34M week in China, #Skyfall has now passed Pirates 2,4 & Toy Story 3 for 8th highest-grossing film of all time

How on earth Pirates 2&4 made so much is beyond me awful films except the 1st one. Toy story 3 is amazing thou can't believe it made less overseas then the last 2 ice ages what is wrong with people. Also pirates 2 would be way higher adjusted for inflation and market growth since 2006 at least a $100 mil more unreal popularity for such a bad film.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 115
    How long will it be before we're under The Avengers, d'ya think?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Let's hope the film secures a 007th spot. ;-)

Or 5th. $46 million to go.
    How long will it be before we're under The Avengers?

Skyfall has to beat Harry Potter for that, which won't happen.
    How long will it be before we're under The Avengers, d'ya think?
    What do u mean? Skyfall is miles behind Avengers w.w and domestically. Has a chance of 5th place for sure $ 40 million more from China $5 mil rest of world total $1.130 billion maybe.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,015
    htall90 wrote:
    Skyfall could make what it should in China maybe now e.g $80 mil as Qos made $20 mi four years ago and the Chinese market is 4 times bigger now so it should make $80 mil hopefully.
    Funny thing is that when I use the exact same kind of demonstration to try to compare GF in 1965 and SF in 2012 in France (GF = about 6M viewers / 40 M French viewers market vs SF = 7M / 60 M, GF is still significantly ahead, and there was TB the same year...) , I'm told to STFU FFS :)

Also note that when one reads that the Chinese Market is 4 times bigger in 2012 than in 2008, it's when you use $ figures, the exchange rate variation with the $ is an important part of it. In local currency, it's "only" 3 times bigger...
    Well tbf you can't compare a 1960s film to a modern one as inflation has gone up by huge amounts and most countries have had at least a third increase in population since then as well. TB was defo a more successful movie by some way relative to size of markets back then.
  • htall90 wrote:
    TB was defo a more successful movie by some way relative to size of markets back then.
    We're a minority here to think that :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Interesting. I heard all week how bad Skyfall was doing, but things have picked up? It was released on a Monday, so could that be a big factor in the gross, and it was able to pick up steam as we progressed into the weekend?
    More than 30 Million in........one week???? What has happened :P. Ah well, I was already predicting 'Skyfall' would eventually beat 'The Dark Knight Rises'.....
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Brady, get ready a "Beat Batman", "Done" caption. :)

Now for the robots.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Brady, get ready a "Beat Batman", "Done" caption. :)

Now for the robots.

Haha, I have some ideas...
    Interesting. I heard all week how bad Skyfall was doing, but things have picked up? It was released on a Monday, so could that be a big factor in the gross, and it was able to pick up steam as we progressed into the weekend?

I have been saying that for a while. A premiere on a Monday in China is not that different from a premiere on a Monday in the USA: It'll be one hell of an empty event. But that's only for those first days.
    Is it really that important, who is right or wrong? Only important here is, that the best predictions seem to be the right ones.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Is it really that important, who is right or wrong? Only important here is, that the best predictions seem to be the right ones.

Yeah, you are right.....but I do agree with others though that my optimism about 'Skyfall' isn't objective at times.
    htall90 wrote:
    TB was defo a more successful movie by some way relative to size of markets back then.

You can't compare even very recent films like Skyfall to even films released 10 years ago like return of the king as inflation increase is huge and markets such as China, Russia and Brazil where almost non factors then compared to now. Tbf it was gonna likely pass Batman for a while now or had a strong chance.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,098
    htall90 wrote:

I'am with you on this 'Suivez'.......the thing is i would presume many members here were not alive during that period of Bondmania in the 60's........i mean i'am 54 and i was only a wee kid then........but i do remember that Bond was really a massive thing then....and not just some big film that just came out and grossed big. 'GF' and 'TB' were mega hits, and thats why they are still in the real top 50 films of alltime, even 50 years on and god knows how many films have been released in that time.
    Put it this way 'SF' a tremendous success as it is, i very much doubt it will be in the top 250 films, never mind the top 10 unadjusted in 50 years time!

I know the 'SF' kids here dont like it, but Bond goes further back than DAD, believe it or not!

Remember, if 'GF' and 'TB' hadnt been mega hits back then, then we wouldnt have Bond today would we?

Tbf to Skyfall films do not spend literally months on end in the cinema like they did in the 60s and far less films where released in the 60s compared to now. There was a lot of other films released particularly in America for skyfall to contend with during it's early run.So it's run is impressive everything released in the 60s was more successful relative to now due to being one of the first and the lack of other big movies.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    mepal1 wrote:
    htall90 wrote:

I'am with you on this 'Suivez'.......the thing is i would presume many members here were not alive during that period of Bondmania in the 60's........i mean i'am 54 and i was only a wee kid then........but i do remember that Bond was really a massive thing then....and not just some big film that just came out and grossed big. 'GF' and 'TB' were mega hits, and thats why they are still in the real top 50 films of alltime, even 50 years on and god knows how many films have been released in that time.
    Put it this way 'SF' a tremendous success as it is, i very much doubt it will be in the top 250 films, never mind the top 10 unadjusted in 50 years time!

I know the 'SF' kids here dont like it, but Bond goes further back than DAD, believe it or not!

Remember, if 'GF' and 'TB' hadnt been mega hits back then, then we wouldnt have Bond today would we?

It is, however, great to see that after 50 years and with the huge competition it has nowadays, Bond is still going strong and smashing records. No, this isn't the 60's, but it's again a great time to be a Bond fan.