Action Movies Thread

Comments

Eh, the Die Hard poster looks ok. Bit of a let down after the trailer though.

Pacific Rim just looks like another dumb Transformers/Battleship type film that (like the two films I mentioned) will probably take itself too seriously for what it is.

It is Guillermo Del Toro, who has most of his films sitting comfortable at mid-80's on Rotten Tomatoes. He's going for the classic 'Godzilla' or 'King Kong' type films. Plus the plot revolves around a pretty heavy underdog story, and apparently humanity almost loses.

So it should have a bit more than toys killing each other.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Not sure if this belongs here but here goes:
    Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is returning as Shang Tsung in the next season of the Mortal Kombat webseries!!!! Season 2 is all about the Tournament

...oh and Casper Van Dien is the new Johnny Cage apparently. But Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa!!!!!!

1266555397-mortalkombatshangtsung.jpg

*edit- after posting I came across a more complete cast list:
    - Brian Tee as Liu Kang
    - Harry Shum, Jr. as Kuai Liang
    - Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa will reprise his role as Shang Tsung from the original Mortal Kombat movie.
    - Ian Anthony Dale is returning as Scorpion
    - Casper Van Dien (Starship Troopers) is taking over where Matt Mullins left off with Johnny Cage.
    - Mark Dacascos as Kung Lao

mortal-kombat-legacy-season-2-cast-cary-togava-casper-van-dien-ian-anthony-dale.jpg
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Plus the plot revolves around a pretty heavy underdog story, and apparently humanity almost loses.

Battleship had an underdog story about them almost losing, lots of ships explode dramatic shots of the main character giving up but then the old navy guys join in and together they beat the big bad aliens!

Sorry but this doesn't seem any different to me. And unlike Battleship, I'm not being promised Liam Neeson killing aliens, so I won't be seeing this.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Plus the plot revolves around a pretty heavy underdog story, and apparently humanity almost loses.

Battleship had an underdog story about them almost losing, lots of ships explode dramatic shots of the main character giving up but then the old navy guys join in and together they beat the big bad aliens!

Sorry but this doesn't seem any different to me. And unlike Battleship, I'm not being promised Liam Neeson killing aliens, so I won't be seeing this.
    I heard Liam was barely in it anyway.
    Fair enough, but it is Guillermo Del Toro.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I heard Liam was barely in it anyway.

You heard right, and it was one of the reasons I was disappointed. At one point, I thought he'd died in one of the many explosions because he was off screen for so long, but he popped up again towards the end. He wasn't in any real action scenes.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Fair enough, but it is Guillermo Del Toro.

Fair enough. I like the Hellboy films and he's gotten some good reviews, but I don't think any director is immune to doing a bad (or just below par) film, and since the trailer and what I've heard doesn't really intrest me, I'll be giving it a miss.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,310
    But Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa!!!!!!
    1266555397-mortalkombatshangtsung.jpg

Of course Tagawa just happened to be in Licence to Kill as well:
    16841-11087.gif
    "We're Hong Kong narcotics, you BASTARD!"
  • lol I know- Kitana was in it too! =P~ Hawt
  • bond50bond50 Banned
    A MUCH BETTER MOVIE THAN SKYFALL......................................................................
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It's on, off, on, off and now back on...

Ruben Fleischer Talks Spy Hunter Movie

From IGN

If Zombieland and Gangster Squad director Ruben Fleischer can't have 007 then he'll settle for Spy Hunter, the long-gestating adaptation of the classic video game that's now set to be produced by Lin Pictures for Warner Bros. Fleischer became attached to the project in September.
    In an exclusive chat with ComingSoon, Fleischer said, "If I can make any movie, it would be a James Bond movie. I've always loved the genre but I don't think they'll hire an American to direct a James Bond movie, I've been told, so for me, Spy Hunter is an opportunity to create a new spy franchise. It sounds silly but that was my favorite video game when I was a kid and it had a great title and a great theme song, but there's no real other associations that people have with it other than a cool car, so I feel like there's a lot of room for us to invent a new character and a new series. I think just the Spy Hunter that is the most bad-ass spy who hunts down rogue spies is a really cool launch pad for an idea and I hope that we can bring it to life."
    One line jumps out here and that's "there's a lot of room for us to invent a new character." Does that mean Fleischer's version won't use Alex Decker as its protagonist? Or perhaps he just means the movie will allow him to redefine who Decker is exactly? We'll see.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/12/16/ruben-fleischer-talks-spy-hunter-movie

If done correctly, it could make for a fun action film.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Check please.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2012 Posts: 16,330
    If a Spy Hunter film is made, I hope they use the Peter Gunn theme in it. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Here's the trailer for Michael Bay's 'Pain and Gain':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98249
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That looks like pain and pain! No thanks.
    Yep. That looks like total garbage.
    I can't even tell what the film is about. I'm confused.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

It's a bunch of bodybuilders who get into a kidnapping scheme to make some money or something. I don't know, but I tell you what, I felt embarrassed after watching that. It just looks like it has no idea what it wants to be - so convoluted.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Samuel001 wrote:
    That looks like pain and pain! No thanks.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Yep. That looks like total garbage.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Typical Michael Bay project. Someone needs to go back to directing music videos.
    I actually don't mind the 'Bad Boys' films. 'Bad Boys II' is so enjoyable, and Smith and Lawrence make a great cop duo. He needs to do a third one.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I actually don't mind the 'Bad Boys' films. 'Bad Boys II' is so enjoyable, and Smith and Lawrence make a great cop duo. He needs to do a third one.

Bad Boys is good, but not because of Bay. Same with The Rock and Sean Connery. Bay's films are carried by star power, not any talents he lacks.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that's how I feel. I'm still upset that when blu-rays were first announced, we always saw shots of 'Bad Boys II,' yet it still isn't out on blu-ray, but the first one is. That, and I don't get how 'Rush Hour 2' isn't on blu-ray, but the first and third are. I digress.

'The Rock' was pretty good from what I recall. Just a random rental from Netflix many years ago, but I remember having a fun time watching it. 'Pain and Gain' looks terrible - as expected - and I'm not interested in any more 'Transformers' films, but thankfully he's doing another one. *sigh*
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that's how I feel. I'm still upset that when blu-rays were first announced, we always saw shots of 'Bad Boys II,' yet it still isn't out on blu-ray, but the first one is. That, and I don't get how 'Rush Hour 2' isn't on blu-ray, but the first and third are. I digress.

'The Rock' was pretty good from what I recall. Just a random rental from Netflix many years ago, but I remember having a fun time watching it. 'Pain and Gain' looks terrible - as expected - and I'm not interested in any more 'Transformers' films, but thankfully he's doing another one. *sigh*

And he's doing something with the Ninja Turtles making them aliens or something. 8-|
    Murdock wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

And he's doing something with the Ninja Turtles making them aliens or something. 8-|
    I think that's what they originally were supposed to be.
    @Murdock, yeah, I heard about that. How some projects in Hollywood manage to take off just baffles me.

Coming up next: "Let's remake Citizen Kane, and let Eddie Murphy play all of the characters, but they're in fat suits!"
    The ninja turtles have always been Normal house turtles covered in a radioactive ooze and grew into anthropomorphic turtles.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Coming up next: "Let's remake Citizen Kane, and let Eddie Murphy play all of the characters, but they're in fat suits!"

Tread softly, it could happen. Maybe with Martin Lawrence instead, but it could happen.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Tread softly, it could happen. Maybe with Martin Lawrence instead, but it could happen.

With how films are going these days, I really wouldn't be shocked.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, yeah, I heard about that. How some projects in Hollywood manage to take off just baffles me.

Don't even joke about that! That's the day I face time in jail.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Don't even joke about that! That's the day I face time in jail.

You won't be lonely, I can most certainly guarantee that. I'll be right next to you with the blood on my hands, as well.
  • Figured this was the best thread to post this: Just came back from seeing 'Jack Reacher' and I thought it was a good movie! I liked the story, it was smart and steered away from cliches, I thought the acting was good, Tom Cruise seemed to play a slightly diffrent character than he usually does (more of an 80's action hero type) and I liked the action and music.
    I know some of you doomed this movie because Cruise doesn't fit the description given of Reacher in the novels, but I would advice you to give the movie a chance, because it really isn't as bad as some might have made it out to be (IMO it's pretty great, and - unlike Expendables - was really able to envoke a 80's action movie feel that I've been missing so much in modern movies.
    I enjoyed to movie so much that I went out and picked up the first novel in the series - Killing Field - immediatly, and so far I think that's great as well. Of course I haven't read that much yet (on page 30 right now) but so far Cruise's character (except for the looks) really doesn't seem that far of from the character in the novel.

So, that's my mini-review for Jack Reacher.