The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

That’s a fabulous shot. It’s possibly my most anticipated film as of right now, as Eggers is the best up and coming film auteur of our times. I expect greatness once again, as I haven’t been disappointed yet! I’ll still be bummed out Anya Taylor-Joy isn’t in it, since she’s my favorite working actress right now, but hopefully they reunite next time, so we can at least get a trend of her and Eggers working together every other film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'm game.
    Just watched Pet Sematary Bloodlines. Meh.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I'm game.
    Just watched Pet Sematary Bloodlines. Meh.

Very meh. No joke, I woke up the morning after I saw it and I had honestly forgotten just about everything I had seen.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

I'm so-and-so on his output in the series. James Wan set a bar that no other Conjuring / Annabelle / Nun director has, at least in my opinion, been able to reach. But he's not a hack either, so I guess they can do worse.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    WZYuXD.gif

It's been 15 years already! :-O
    WZYuXD.gif

15 years since this one blew my socks off in theaters. I'll always be upset we couldn't have gotten an immediate follow-up to this one two or three years after.
    WZYuXD.gif

15 years since this one blew my socks off in theaters. I'll always be upset we couldn't have gotten an immediate follow-up to this one two or three years after.

Someone out there is missing out on a lot of money by not making more films in this series. Same with Freddy.
    WZYuXD.gif

Someone out there is missing out on a lot of money by not making more films in this series. Same with Freddy.

Too much petty infighting and random rights issues are standing in the way of everybody making a pretty penny off more installments. It's such a waste. Time to put aside differences, come together, and please audiences and producers alike.

At this rate, I imagine they'd do another reboot or something, but I'll take whatever I can get as long as it's another straight-up installment.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Now that the rights have been sorted, given how it was a tough battle, I would have thought that Cunningham would have moved quickly to bring Jason back to the big screen.
    Now that the rights have been sorted, given how it was a tough battle, I would have thought that Cunningham would have moved quickly to bring Jason back to the big screen.

I truly, honestly thought we'd get an almost instantaneous announcement after that, but alas. I think the only movement we've seen is on that upcoming TV series? Not at all what I'm after either, as I'm personally not a fan of horror properties trying to translate to the television universe.

I truly, honestly thought we'd get an almost instantaneous announcement after that, but alas. I think the only movement we've seen is on that upcoming TV series? Not at all what I'm after either, as I'm personally not a fan of horror properties trying to translate to the television universe.

I feel exactly the same way. To hear of a tv series, rather than a film, I felt it was a bit anticlimactic.
    TV series don't get me as excited as films.

There was a time when good slashers were released at a higher rate than the one at which I change my underware. Yet now, one of the biggest horror franchises ever cannot advance another film after 15 years? Boy, Freddy cut Jason up really well 20 years ago, didn't he?

So while TV is where it's at these days, I wish they'd continue making movies. Halloween set an impressive example in this 'legacy' era of the slasher film, didn't it?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Wasn't the rumour that they were planning a film as well as the TV series, with it all set in the same continuity? That'd be a fun way of doing it.

Either way, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to crank out Friday films regularly. They couldn't possibly cost that much (they should be less to produce than the Blumhouse Halloween films were, putting them in the $10-20million bracket), making them relatively low risk.

That being said, I really like the idea of the TV show too. A bit of Crystal Lake action every week for a couple of months is hard to say no to.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    A24 being involved in the television series gives me a lot of hope as well as Bryan Fuller, the showrunner, who has an impressive resume in my opinion.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    A24 being involved in the television series gives me a lot of hope as well as Bryan Fuller, the showrunner, who has an impressive resume in my opinion.

That offers some consolation, yes.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS Now you mention it, I remember something about them being connected.

A tv series running alongside the films, begs the question, who would be the showrunner? And who would be the killer? Victor Miller is the Kevin McClory in the F13 legal battle. His legal ownership extends no further than the confines of the original, including use of 'Friday The 13th' as a title. Sean Cunningham, on the other hand, can't use 'Friday The 13th' or the Crystal Lake setting, but he can use adult Jason in his film.
    Checking out the original The Wicker Man for the very first time and, erm, I suppose I've been too harsh on Britt Ekland's Bond work in the past. I certainly didn't expect this revealing turn from her.
    Checking out the original The Wicker Man for the very first time and, erm, I suppose I've been too harsh on Britt Ekland's Bond work in the past. I certainly didn't expect this revealing turn from her.

Hahaha :-D Yes, she's quite "open" about certain things, isn't she? ;-) (You may have found out that only half of her naked body is hers; the other half was a body double.)

Willow's Song is an exquisite piece of music. The entire film is awesome as well.

And now, @Creasy47, you may want to check out The Wicker Tree and the Nic Cage remake. ;-)

Hahaha :-D Yes, she's quite "open" about certain things, isn't she? ;-) (You may have found out that only half of her naked body is hers; the other half was a body double.)

Willow's Song is an exquisite piece of music. The entire film is awesome as well.

And now, @Creasy47, you may want to check out The Wicker Tree and the Nic Cage remake. ;-)

When the shot panned back a bit to her dancing against the door, I had a feeling that was a body double. The other shots though? Kudos to her, what an absolute treat that sequence was, haha.

I honestly had no clue going into this that the film was going to be so musical but I'm honestly loving a lot of these tracks and performances.

I have seen the Cage remake around the time it came out (I recall nothing but the "bees"-related memes and hating the film) but I'll have to add the other one to my list.

When the shot panned back a bit to her dancing against the door, I had a feeling that was a body double. The other shots though? Kudos to her, what an absolute treat that sequence was, haha.

I honestly had no clue going into this that the film was going to be so musical but I'm honestly loving a lot of these tracks and performances.

I have seen the Cage remake around the time it came out (I recall nothing but the "bees"-related memes and hating the film) but I'll have to add the other one to my list.

I must warn you: it's not as good as the original film. I'm just a completist.

I'm like that too, sometimes even fully against any good sense I may have when it means sitting through a lot of consistent trash.

I'm like that too, sometimes even fully against any good sense I may have when it means sitting through a lot of consistent trash.

Well, since we're both horror fans, we both understand the exceptional "art" of watching stuff that we know isn't any good, that we know will suck big time, for no other reason than to digest an entire film series with, usually, only one or two good films. (I'm looking at you, Children Of The Corn.)

Well, since we're both horror fans, we both understand the exceptional "art" of watching stuff that we know isn't any good, that we know will suck big time, for no other reason than to digest an entire film series with, usually, only one or two good films. (I'm looking at you, Children Of The Corn.)

Too, too right, my friend. Even those Hammer Horror Dracula films you lot turned me onto, even as bad as some might've gotten, there was still plenty to admire and enjoy in them, even if it's just the balls it took to put some of those ideas on screen.

Ahh, I haven't even seen anything from the Children of the Corn series in probably 20-25 years. It's been a stupidly long time.

Too, too right, my friend. Even those Hammer Horror Dracula films you lot turned me onto, even as bad as some might've gotten, there was still plenty to admire and enjoy in them, even if it's just the balls it took to put some of those ideas on screen.

Ahh, I haven't even seen anything from the Children of the Corn series in probably 20-25 years. It's been a stupidly long time.

I think you really want to skip those. Unless The Return Of Isaac gets you excited.
    edited February 21 Posts: 40,480

I think you really want to skip those. Unless The Return Of Isaac gets you excited.

I figure that original one is about all I'd need to bother with, but I'm so far removed from the history of the series that I don't have a clue what's worth the time and what isn't.

EDIT: Man, Paul Giovanni's score in The Wicker Man just shot up to being a new horror favorite of mine. I'm still wowed by those unexpected musical performances too. Really, really great work in that department.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 21 Posts: 2,932
    Britt Ekland used to be quite vocal about the fact that the body double in The Wicker Man had a much bigger backside than her and she was irritated that people thought her bum was that big. Britt clearly didn't understand the appeal of that scene...
    Venutius wrote: »
    Britt Ekland used to be quite vocal about the fact that the body double in The Wicker Man had a much bigger backside than her and she was irritated that people thought her bum was that big. Britt clearly didn't understand the appeal of that scene...

I was reading that excerpt last night! She apparently re-analyzed her own looks after seeing the body double (while trashing the body double at the same time). The girl used for the full body shots is apparently the same one seen weeping at a gravestone at one point in the film.
    I’d like to ask for the community’s opinions on… The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986). I have only seen (and loved) the original and didn’t originally plan on seeing any of the sequels, but lately I’ve seen a lot of praise for the first sequel. I understand it to be super different from the original in going over the top. Anyways, just curious, how do people around here who have seen it feel about it?