The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    RIP Hickox. Hellraiser 3 is the only one I've seen so far, but I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to watching more. I would also watch Hickox's Warlock: The Armageddon. I notice Bruce Glover is in that! And Paula Marshall from Hellraiser 3. She was really good in that movie.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    RIP Hickox. Hellraiser 3 is the only one I've seen so far, but I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to watching more. I would also watch Hickox's Warlock: The Armageddon. I notice Bruce Glover is in that! And Paula Marshall from Hellraiser 3. She was really good in that movie.

Seriously? :-D I thought she was horrendously bad in that film.

Please check out the first two films, @mattjoes. The quality drop from Hellraiser and Hellbound to Hell On Earth is almost as painful as any torture Pinhead has waiting for us in the house of Leviathan. ;-) I understand the fun factor of Hell On Earth, but it's not a particularly well-made film in my opinion. My ranking would now go something like this:

Pleasure
    1) Hellraiser
    2) Hellbound
    3) Hellraiser 2022

Good Suffering
    4) Bloodline
    5) Judgement
    6) Hellworld
    7) Hell On Earth

Darkness
    8) Deader
    9) Hellseaker
    10) Inferno

My Flesh Ripped Apart
    666) Revelations
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »

Seriously? :-D I thought she was horrendously bad in that film.

Please check out the first two films, @mattjoes. The quality drop from Hellraiser and Hellbound to Hell On Earth is almost as painful as any torture Pinhead has waiting for us in the house of Leviathan. ;-) I understand the fun factor of Hell On Earth, but it's not a particularly well-made film in my opinion. My ranking would now go something like this:

Pleasure
    1) Hellraiser
    2) Hellbound
    3) Hellraiser 2022

Good Suffering
    4) Bloodline
    5) Judgement
    6) Hellworld
    7) Hell On Earth

Darkness
    8) Deader
    9) Hellseaker
    10) Inferno

My Flesh Ripped Apart
    666) Revelations

Yeah, I really appreciated the nervous energy she had in that role. It made sense considering what happened to her later in the story.

I will watch those earlier Hellraiser movies for sure.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,928
    I thought she was horrendously bad in that film.
    She look fine, fine, fine, though! Hey, I like Goth lasses, what can I say? ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I also thought Marshall handled that emotionally torn and mentally abused angle quite well in the third installment. Then again, I'm biased towards that one so I'll always have something positive to say about it.

I was happy to see her still killing it in the horror genre recently with Malignant.
    Venutius wrote: »
    I thought she was horrendously bad in that film.
    She look fine, fine, fine, though! Hey, I like Goth lasses, what can I say? ;)

You're going to love Fairuza Balk in The Craft then. ;-)
    I liked all of em, man! :D
    I’ve only seen, and enjoyed, the first Hellraiser so far. Incredible practical effects extravaganza. And I as well have a thing for goth lasses! I consider myself goth honestly, even though I don’t exhibit the stereotypical looks or behavior often.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’ve only seen, and enjoyed, the first Hellraiser so far. Incredible practical effects extravaganza. And I as well have a thing for goth lasses! I consider myself goth honestly, even though I don’t exhibit the stereotypical looks or behavior often.

We must all be passionate about The Crow, then. 😉 Now, there's a generational experience for me. And the closest thing to an active celebration of the goth scene I can manage without upsetting my wife.

We must all be passionate about The Crow, then. 😉 Now, there's a generational experience for me. And the closest thing to an active celebration of the goth scene I can manage without upsetting my wife.

I also love The Crow, yes. Hey, that’s something at least! It certainly spoke to me very much, and I’d love a 4K release of that one especially. The first girl I loved was named Shelly, and she had just recently left my life when I saw the movie for the first time. I also have a strong love for birds, most of all ravens and crows. Sometimes art can become very personal and beloved for reasons small or big.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2023 Posts: 13,894
    Does anyone watch Dead Meat on YouTube? I’m obsessed with the kill counts and podcasts.

Yes, I do. The problem is, I often see the Kill Count, before the film, like the Happy Death Day film(s). Though enough time may have passed for me to see them.

*checks calendar* Something tells me we might not be getting a new Friday The 13th film this year. Not that I expected any different.
    Alright, it’s time for a new Halloween franchise ranking since my marathon concluded. I switched things up by watching the theatrical cut of Curse (originally saw the producer cut), theatrical cuts of Zombie’s movies (originally saw the director’s cuts), and extended cut of Kills (originally saw the theatrical cut). For the former 3, my opinion of all of them was boosted from the previously seen versions, while Kills more or less felt the same. Anyway, with the most recently watched versions in mind, here it is:

1. Halloween (1978)
    2. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
    3. Halloween Kills (2021)
    4. Halloween (2018)
    5. Halloween II (1981)
    6. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
    7. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
    8. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
    9. Halloween II (2009)
    10. Halloween (2007)
    11. Halloween Ends (2022)
    12. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
    13. Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Nice one, @FoxRox. You made me put great thought into how I feel about many of the films in this series - most of which I am quite conflicted about. It's really only the top four or five that get almost unanimous praise from me.

1) Halloween (1978)
    2) Halloween (2018)
    3) Halloween II (1981)
    4) Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (1982)
    5) Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
    6) Halloween (2007)
    7) Halloween Kills (2021)
    8) Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers (1988)
    9) Halloween Ends (2022)
    10) Halloween II (2009)
    11) Halloween: Revenge Of Michael Myers (1989)
    12) Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers (1995)
    13) Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
    @CraigMooreOHMSS Thanks, and a nice ranking yourself. Not many of the movies are truly great, but I found myself enjoying most of the lesser ones more than before, which comes from viewing cuts that I preferred and knowing more of what to expect. The best surprise for me was theatrical Curse - loved the brutality of Michael and way less of the cult aspect, even though the movie’s still a mess - and the worst was Revenge, which was remarkably boring for me. But Resurrection is in a league of its own for badness, established immediately in the insulting opening.
    Tenebrae, what a dazzling bit of bloody madness with another brilliantly exotic score from Goblin to boot. Great cast (though the top billing for John Saxon really had me hoping he would be more present), really inventive death scenes (something about an arm getting chopped off with an axe through a window, the arterial spray coating the white walls, is like a masterpiece to me), and I just can't get enough of his serial killer-plagued worlds or the way there's always a nagging clue at a particular crime scene that comes into play and is re-analyzed and finally solved by the ending. Loved it.
    Any fans of the Sleepaway Camp series here? I've seen them all but realized a little while back there's that fourth installment that was never completed due to the production company slipping into bankruptcy a few weeks into filming. I've no doubt it's gonna be a train wreck but eager to see what I've been missing all these years.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092596/reviews/?ref_=tt_ov_rt

co-stars Munro, never seen it , no eng dub (warning , v graphic film)
    @MajorSmythe might have seen it. The gory stills look suitably icky.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I haven't seen that one. But it's funny that @Tracy should bring it up, as I was reading up about it, only a few days ago. As sleazy as it sounds, Naschy doing a victory lap of some characters that he had played previously, plus Caroline Munro, is too much to pass up.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Any fans of the Sleepaway Camp series here? I've seen them all but realized a little while back there's that fourth installment that was never completed due to the production company slipping into bankruptcy a few weeks into filming. I've no doubt it's gonna be a train wreck but eager to see what I've been missing all these years.

I have seen them all, @Creasy47. Not the biggest fan of the series, though the second one is very enjoyable. The fourth... not so much.

I have seen them all, @Creasy47. Not the biggest fan of the series, though the second one is very enjoyable. The fourth... not so much.

Yeah I'd say the first or second one is my favorite. Going to rewatch Return to Sleepaway Camp today, only saw it once when it released so I remember so little from it past the twist.

Yeah I'd say the first or second one is my favorite. Going to rewatch Return to Sleepaway Camp today, only saw it once when it released so I remember so little from it past the twist.

SC is to F13 what a McDonalds hamburger is to a steak. It's a very low-quality series in almost every regard. The climax of the first film is, of course, legendary. And there's plenty of nudity in some of the sequels to keep things amusing. I do think there's potential for a great SC reboot of sorts, much more than for Terror Train or April Fools Day or My Bloody Valentine in my opinion.

SC is to F13 what a McDonalds hamburger is to a steak. It's a very low-quality series in almost every regard. The climax of the first film is, of course, legendary. And there's plenty of nudity in some of the sequels to keep things amusing. I do think there's potential for a great SC reboot of sorts, much more than for Terror Train or April Fools Day or My Bloody Valentine in my opinion.

I'd be up for a reboot. I'd love to see them try to blend the slasher horror with some more campiness (no pun intended) in the 2020s.
    Does anyone watch Dead Meat on YouTube? I’m obsessed with the kill counts and podcasts.

I used to be into them but once they covered my favorite horror franchise with Jaws i kind of walked away from them

I did watch a recent kill count of Tremors
    David Fincher has shared some light details on what his World War Z sequel would've entailed:

https://deadline.com/2023/10/david-fincher-canceled-world-war-z-sequel-the-last-of-us-1235583056/
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 12,269
    Welp, I watched the Five Nights at Freddy's movie at the theater. The movie was not good. It has several big issues, although still a certain amount of heart and care even when it's misguided. I just can't help but think about the wasted potential. This movie was in development hell forever, so it's brutal for a mediocre product to come out after all the effort and waiting. The original four games certainly hold a place of importance and enjoyability in my media consumption, so I'll always have those at least! The best aspect of the movie was the cast; everyone acted pretty well and did their best in that respect. But so, so much else went wrong.

All that being said, I still had a great time because of the company I was with, so I don't regret going! Had to satisfy my curiosity about the film and got to make fun of the bad bits with my buddies!
    Can't quite remember being so mortified in my life as when The Living Tombstone FNAF fan song played in the credits X'D
    edited October 2023 Posts: 2,928
    Ellen Burstyn says that Exorcist: Believer was called 'Brain Waves' when she agreed to make it and it still had that title all the time she worked on it. 'I'm glad to know the title of the movie I did', she said when told what it'd been renamed! :D
    https://www-dreadcentral-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/www.dreadcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/T3.jpg

Can’t wait for this!!! I think it’s amazing they’re going with a Christmas theme for Art. I’m left wondering after seeing the poster if he actually kills Santa Claus? The fourth movie should go to outer space. Leprechaun did it for #4, and so did Roger Moore with MR ;)
    https://www-dreadcentral-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/www.dreadcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/T3.jpg

Can’t wait for this!!! I think it’s amazing they’re going with a Christmas theme for Art. I’m left wondering after seeing the poster if he actually kills Santa Claus? The fourth movie should go to outer space. Leprechaun did it for #4, and so did Roger Moore with MR ;)

I love Terrifier! I recently marathoned the two shorts that introduced Art, All Hallow's Eve, Terrifier and Terrifier 2. That's over 6 hours of Art the Clown right there. Both Mike Giannelli and David Howard Thornton are great as Art. I'm a fan. I can't wait for Terrifier 3.

I love Terrifier! I recently marathoned the two shorts that introduced Art, All Hallow's Eve, Terrifier and Terrifier 2. That's over 6 hours of Art the Clown right there. Both Mike Giannelli and David Howard Thornton are great as Art. I'm a fan. I can't wait for Terrifier 3.

That’s awesome! I didn’t check out the shorts yet but I did see all those movies, and enjoyed all of them. Terrifier 2 was easily the best one, most of all thanks to Sienna Shaw being a terrific final girl. I agree both actors did a great job and brought different things to Art, but I’m partial to Thornton overall because I like that he brought a little bit more levity to it, whereas Gianelli just freaked me out the whole way only - still effective in his own right! Art is a fabulous character and I’m thrilled at how iconic and big the series has become. 3 should be amazing!