The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    https://www-dreadcentral-com.cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/www.dreadcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/T3.jpg

Can’t wait for this!!! I think it’s amazing they’re going with a Christmas theme for Art. I’m left wondering after seeing the poster if he actually kills Santa Claus? The fourth movie should go to outer space. Leprechaun did it for #4, and so did Roger Moore with MR ;)

I love Terrifier! I recently marathoned the two shorts that introduced Art, All Hallow's Eve, Terrifier and Terrifier 2. That's over 6 hours of Art the Clown right there. Both Mike Giannelli and David Howard Thornton are great as Art. I'm a fan. I can't wait for Terrifier 3.

That’s awesome! I didn’t check out the shorts yet but I did see all those movies, and enjoyed all of them. Terrifier 2 was easily the best one, most of all thanks to Sienna Shaw being a terrific final girl. I agree both actors did a great job and brought different things to Art, but I’m partial to Thornton overall because I like that he brought a little bit more levity to it, whereas Gianelli just freaked me out the whole way only - still effective in his own right! Art is a fabulous character and I’m thrilled at how iconic and big the series has become. 3 should be amazing!

Yes! I agree. And I sincerely hope that Terrifier 3 can definitively establish Art as the best placeholder we currently have for Freddy Krueger and such (since not a lot is going on with those series anyway.)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Finally, our first look at Robert Eggers' Nosferatu:

nosferatu-m-ovie.png?w=858&ssl=1
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Finally, our first look at Robert Eggers' Nosferatu:

nosferatu-m-ovie.png?w=858&ssl=1

It's Eggers. It's Nosferatu. I'm jazzed no matter what.
    Hope it’s amazing. As far as I’m concerned he’s a resounding 3 for 3 so far.

Absolutely. The VVitch, in particular, is an excellent movie as far as I am concerned.

Absolutely. The VVitch, in particular, is an excellent movie as far as I am concerned.

Terrifying folk horror right there and probably my favorite film of his (so far).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    One of my most anticipated films of next year.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    He's definitely playing Friedrich Harding, both Wikipedia and iMDB list him as such, and Emma Corrin seems to be playing his wife. I imagine the script has gone through another draft between when it was leaked and when Nosferatu went into production, given its a project he's been approaching for a while.

Without going off topic too much, I'm truly excited for this film, with ATJ being only one aspect of what I'm excited about. As he's one of my top contenders for 007, I'm excited to see what he does and what he gets to do. Who knows maybe Eggers is working with the soon to be leader of a franchise like he did with Pattinson before Batman?

I still remember this image of the male stars together at dinner while filming in Prague:

BILL%20SKARSGARD%20AARON%20TAYLOR%20JOHNSON%20NICHOLAS%20HOULT.png

Harding is an invented character for this film, correct? At least in name? I saw some suggestions online it was a cover name for a new character to fill the role of the captain of the ship the vampire arrives on (Empusa in Nosferatu), or that it was a cover for a Van Helsing-type character/role (there may be legal reasons they can't call him VH here). I haven't truly peeked at that online script, and sort of don't want to.
    No @LucknFate, both Harding and Ruth (named Anna in Eggers' adaptation) are characters from the original. Comparatively to the Dracula novel, they seem to be the equivalent of Lucy and Arthur Holmwood, although I believe in the original, Ruth is Harding's sister, although I've read somewhere than in this adaptation, she'll be Friederich Harding's wife. Also, just to clarify, Willem Dafoe will be playing the "Van Helsing" character, Professor Albin Eberhart Von Franz.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 12,277
    Good for her. I hope everyone else takes a stand and lets Scream VII die if need be. Put basic morality and free speech above entertainment. I already made another post about this on the Coming Soon to Cinemas thread. Just to recap: it sucks living in a world where you’re not allowed to be nuanced anymore, and any correct negative thing you point out will be seen and made out to be bigoted.
    Calling it now: they'll finally pay Neve what she's due to return as the lead. Sad it took all this to arrive at that point.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm glad Ortega had the stones to drop out. I found Barrera's firing to be utterly numbskulled.

Part of me hopes they just can that Scream movie altogether now. I really liked both characters.
    I'm glad Ortega had the stones to drop out. I found Barrera's firing to be utterly numbskulled.

Part of me hopes they just can that Scream movie altogether now. I really liked both characters.

Deadline reported it's due to scheduling conflicts with her Netflix series Wednesday but the timing is way too convenient and I don't buy it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yeah, good on Ortega and a shame it even had to be the case cause as you said @CraigMooreOHMSS, Barrera's firing is ridiculous. I do kinda feel for the new director of Scream 7 because his project is now in hot water whether released or not, because I imagine he was probably looking forward to getting his hand on this property and I was excited to see what was in store but now... jeez.

I also think they've probably lost Neve anyway because even if she was paid what she would approve of, would she wanna sign on now that all this has happened?
    Definite BS on “scheduling conflicts.” Just glad to see we’re all agreed on this. Like, if my employee was explicitly bigoted then yeah, of course I’d fire them as I hate that garbage, but making it up when simple facts are being pointed out (if you look at all her posts together it’s especially obvious there’s no prejudice) is just way too far. I don’t think we’ll be seeing a Scream VII anytime soon as the fallout’s only going to get worse. I do feel bad for those who worked so hard to get it going that are not responsible for this unfair firing.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,578
    There's something awkward about studios willing to release another slasher film--

"slasher", as in: lots of dead teenagers, soaked in blood, gutted, knifed, impaled

-- also being profoundly concerned with what cast members say about real-life politics. These hilarious attempts at sanitizing upcoming projects by firing people left and right remind me of the James Gunn debacle from a few years ago. Lay down, roll over, do your tricks, and refrain from saying anything (that goes against certain powerful types' opinions) in public. Megan Fox vs. Steven Spielberg? In essence, what we learn is that

- we like you as long as you do what we say,
    - but we don't acknowledge you as a free human being whose right to have an opinion we respect,
    - and we'll happily throw you out if whatever opinion you do voice in public, is one that risks upsetting the big chiefs upstairs.

That's Hollywood hypocrisy for you. Look at us, we produce this film in a carbon-neutral fashion, we offer X number of people a job, we support local stores, and we don't harm animals or trees. We hire diversely and inclusively, and we stay away from sexism, racism, and other -isms. But free speech is where we draw the line; we can't have that. We're not adulting today: a person's opinion that doesn't align with ours is not something we can handle.

Well, they lost Jenna. I don't know... I could be quite wrong... perhaps I'm mistaken... but losing her seems to me to be a pretty big problem. She's very hot right now. Your loss, Scream VII. And as far as I am concerned: when Scream V was released, I came for the kills but I stayed for Jenna.
    Did anybody see Thanksgiving yet? I genuinely thought it was brilliant. Went out with the family to enjoy it on actual Thanksgiving Day and it was such a great idea. Smart, violent, over-the-top practical effects and gore, hilarious, a razor sharp script. I had a feeling I'd like it but I really didn't expect to love it as much as I did. After all these years of waiting, Roth actually delivered.
    Did anybody see Thanksgiving yet? I genuinely thought it was brilliant. Went out with the family to enjoy it on actual Thanksgiving Day and it was such a great idea. Smart, violent, over-the-top practical effects and gore, hilarious, a razor sharp script. I had a feeling I'd like it but I really didn't expect to love it as much as I did. After all these years of waiting, Roth actually delivered.

I have yet to see the film but Roth is one of those gorehounds whose work I appreciate (like Rob Zombie and Damien Leone.)

I have yet to see the film but Roth is one of those gorehounds whose work I appreciate (like Rob Zombie and Damien Leone.)

You and I both. He really lingers on the damage and destruction in this, much to my giddiness and enjoyment.
    I had a ton of interest in seeing it, and it’s good to hear from you and others that it’s a good time! I didn’t like any of the Hostel films but the concept of this one is too good; I wanted a Thanksgiving-themed horror movie forever, so I’ll definitely catch it sometime if not in the theater.
    I had a ton of interest in seeing it, and it’s good to hear from you and others that it’s a good time! I didn’t like any of the Hostel films but the concept of this one is too good; I wanted a Thanksgiving-themed horror movie forever, so I’ll definitely catch it sometime if not in the theater.

I hope you love it!

Meanwhile, here's another shot from Nosferatu:

nosferatu.jpg?w=1016&ssl=1
    Last watches:
    Vampire in Brooklyn
    The Serpent and the Rainbow
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Ethan Hawke, Mason Thames, Madeleine McGraw, Jeremy Davies and Miguel Mora are set to return for The Black Phone 2.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/black-phone-2-ethan-hawke-1235642634/
    No clue how that's going to work but I enjoyed the first one enough and will definitely watch a sequel.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    It was only a matter of time. Coming in 2025. I'll be there opening weekend for it.
    Saw XI officially confirmed ; release date: September 27th, 2024.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/saw-11-announced-release-date-1235834437/
    Wow, coming super fast! I’m guessing because of Tobin Bell’s age. I just hope it’s not rushed and a poor followup to what was a surprisingly good movie in Saw X. If they continue to work fast though, perhaps we get both 11 and 12 to finish a prequel trilogy? I don’t think this series will have much value beyond Tobin Bell honestly, if Spiral didn’t already prove that, and I’m no fan of going the AI route either. In any case, I suspect Saw XI will focus on
    Mark Hoffman instead of Amanda this time, based on the credits scene,
    and maybe there can be one last one with both more involved.
    First look at Willem Dafoe in next year's Nosferatu:

nosferatu-dafoe.jpg?resize=768%2C512&ssl=1
    First look at Willem Dafoe in next year's Nosferatu:

nosferatu-dafoe.jpg?resize=768%2C512&ssl=1

Is it me or does he look like Dr Caligari in that photo? :-D