Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2023 Posts: 12,459
    I want some man who is right about 30 years old, good looking but does not have to be conventional. Blonde is fine with me. So is redhead come to think of it; hair color not important.
    Basically, is there someone who looks like a young Sean Bean these days? And can act? Anyone? That age but who can pull off some gravitas. Not too soft looking (though you could say Roger Moore was mostly "soft" AND extremely handsome). I have not seen anybody yet that interests me a whole lot. I tried, but I do not like ATJ for Bond.

From the photos I've seen on these most recent pages, I would say maybe Jack Lowden. I'll have to read up on him.

Also, we have a new Saint. :) Which you probably discussed, but I've been off for a couple of weeks. Regé-Jean Page from Bridgerton and I really like this choice. I hope he's a good Simon Templar. I will now go find a thread on The Saint ...

As for Calam Lynch (spelling?), I am a Rings Of Power fan and look forward to him there. But I do not in any way see him as Bond.
  • Jason Isaacs imo would have made a brilliant Bond.Reminds me of Dalton.
    Jason Isaacs imo would have made a brilliant Bond.Reminds me of Dalton.

Yes definitely. Only problem with him was his height.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited November 2023 Posts: 740
    Isaacs is pretty great in everything (particularly incredible as 'Hap' Percy in The O.A., one of the most fascinating villains ever for me), but I think he's someone else who gained gravitas and charisma as he got older. Even though I was a fan, I'm not sure I would have been sold on him as Bond circa Civvies or his turn as a bag-guy immortal in Highlander: The Series. Cillian Murphy is similar, having built up gravitas as he aged. That's why I feel that ten years from now Nicholas Hoult may well be someone Bond fans feel was a missed opportunity, even though at the moment he looks too young and boyish for most.
    I saw a trailer for a cary grant bio pic with him and it dawned on me Cary Grant was offered 007 but refused because he didnt want to do multiple films (i wonder if the bio pic will touch on it) but the two actors playing grant are Jason Issac (who would of been dalton 2.0 before early craig films became that) and this fellow who yeah why not if he is good enough to play Grant he is good enough to be 007
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 303

This guy is nuts!! Jump up not back mate 😂

I suppose if Hollywood were looking to cast a guy to play Tarzan with a David Beckham accent... he's their man.

;)) :P
    Calam Lynch certainly has acting pedigree, being part of the Cusack clan.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I saw a trailer for a cary grant bio pic with him and it dawned on me Cary Grant was offered 007 but refused because he didnt want to do multiple films (i wonder if the bio pic will touch on it) but the two actors playing grant are Jason Issac (who would of been dalton 2.0 before early craig films became that) and this fellow who yeah why not if he is good enough to play Grant he is good enough to be 007

The biopic does bring up Bond, and Grant tuning down the multiple film offer.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm having trouble seeing any potential in Calam Lynch, and I've pulled up several images and interviews.
    Risico007 wrote: »

The biopic does bring up Bond, and Grant tuning down the multiple film offer.

Interesting i almost iust wanna see that part as it must of given Issacs a little poetic justice

isaacs is decent height isnt he?
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 3,279

Similar height to Craig, which I also had issues with.

All other actors have been at least 6ft, 1".

I just read 5’ 11”
    I wonder if the same is true when it comes to Bond. Does EoN keep an eye on what their fan base is thinking? Not that it’s going to dictate what they do.

W3QLTwl.jpg

Similar height to Craig, which I also had issues with.

All other actors have been at least 6ft, 1".

nothing wrong with 5 ft 11 if actor isgood enough ie Craig or hypothetically speaking Isaacs.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    talos7 wrote: »
    I wonder if the same is true when it comes to Bond. Does EoN keep an eye on what their fan base is thinking? Not that it’s going to dictate what they do.

W3QLTwl.jpg

I think fans are definitely a factor, but I don't think we're a definitive factor. I assume they have a very short list of people they want to be the next Bond and they'll see what fans think of each to gauge how popular each choice would be.
    Hopefully EON don't read twitter for suggestions 😅
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,934
    It's possible that they have someone scan the forums every now and again. The instances I remember the most were over on AJB in the wake of SF, when there were frequent comments by people who wanted to see Craig with a blonde Bondgirl and in a fight with a henchman who was more physically imposing than he was. They got both in the next film.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Venutius wrote: »
    It's possible that they have someone scan the forums every now and again. The instances I remember the most were over on AJB in the wake of SF, when there were frequent comments by people who wanted to see Craig with a blonde Bondgirl and in a fight with a henchman who was more physically imposing than he was. They got both in the next film.

This was also the time when people wanted White to return as Blofeld or with Blofeld, Quantum to become Spectre, as well. Obviously that was an obvious place to go (after they got rights) and could just be coincidence that people asked and we got it, but you never know.
    Have seen numerous X posts this morning about actor Harris Dickinson, mostly from thirsting fans. I've never seen anything he's in yet, but he's staring in an upcoming A24 picture with Nicole Kidman, got his start young in theater, and wrote and directed a debut film when he was a teen. Has a few writing/directing credits along with his acting. Could be an interesting contender.

2020:
    yoshi-03.jpeg?p=projectImageFullJpg

from Kingsman movie (I didn't watch past the first one):
    Harris-Dickinson-Kings-Man-2.jpg?w=1920&h=1280&crop=1&strip=all?width=1024

https://x.com/bleuvalentines/status/1728838516145279321?s=20

He was asked about replacing Craig back in July: https://www.koimoi.com/hollywood-news/james-bond-the-kings-man-fame-harris-dickinson-reacts-to-replacing-daniel-craig-reports-says-youd-be-a-fool-to-not-entertain-that-role/

He's 27.
    I find him slightly odd-looking, but I’ve been watching him in A Murder at the End of the World and think he’s a decent actor. He wouldn’t be in my top five but what do I know?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’m not sure he’d do it but I think he’d make an interesting henchman. He’s got a really interesting and malleable look that I think could work for a modern James Bond villain. He’s also yet to play an antagonist as far as I’m aware.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I find him slightly odd-looking, but I’ve been watching him in A Murder at the End of the World and think he’s a decent actor. He wouldn’t be in my top five but what do I know?

Is that good so far? My girlfriend is a huuuuge fan of The OA so I know her and I will be getting around to this sooner rather than later.
    It’s been interesting and the cast is good, but ‘A.I’ has been mentioned which makes me worry it’s going to descend into twaddle. Decades ago any time ‘Virtual Reality’ was mentioned in a TV show I knew nonsense was coming, and these days ‘A.I.’ Is its equivalent.

So far I’ve enjoyed it.

• LucknFate wrote: »
    Have seen numerous X posts this morning about actor Harris Dickinson, mostly from thirsting fans. I've never seen anything he's in yet, but he's staring in an upcoming A24 picture with Nicole Kidman, got his start young in theater, and wrote and directed a debut film when he was a teen. Has a few writing/directing credits along with his acting. Could be an interesting contender.

Definitely one of the top contenders in my opinion. The fact that he starred in a Palme d'Or film adds something to his profile and makes him a serious candidate, at least for a screen test. His age (27 years old at the moment) is an additional quality. He is already quite athletic and although he plays a Bond-like character in The King's Man, he is not very well known.
    An actor who is now 27 is actually at a perfect age; by the time filming probably begins he’ll be 29 to 31
  • talos7 wrote: »
    An actor who is now 27 is actually at a perfect age; by the time filming probably begins he’ll be 29 to 31

Thomas Doherty seems to fit the bill you are describing here I think he is 28 right now.

Im surprised Tom Bateman doesn't get mentioned more on here. He's just one year older than Aaron-Taylor Johnson.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    parkert5 wrote: »

Thomas Doherty seems to fit the bill you are describing here I think he is 28 right now.

Im surprised Tom Bateman doesn't get mentioned more on here. He's just one year older than Aaron-Taylor Johnson.

I've mentioned him several times over the past couple of years. I think he'd be great, at least from what I've seen him in.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    parkert5 wrote: »

I've mentioned him several times over the past couple of years. I think he'd be great, at least from what I've seen him in.

Same, I think I've mentioned him one or two times here. He would definitively be a good choice.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,434
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Keeping in mind the popular thinking is they want a younger/30ish Bond (and assuming he's white):

Who?
    Fabien Frankel
    Paul Mescal
    Luke Thompson
    Jonathan Bailey
    Tom Brittney
    Joey Batey
    Tom Glynn-Carney
    Joe Alwyn
    Callum Turner
    Johnny Flynn
    Callum Woodhouse
    Nicholas Ralph
    Jack Lowden
    Fionn Whitehead
    Thomas Doherty
    Tom Bateman

Popular/Rumorful/Asked About It
    Aaron Taylor Johnson
    Nicholas Hoult
    Josh O'Connor

Potential Age Fudge Zone
    Aidan Turner
    James Norton
    Richard Madden
    Oliver Jackson-Cohen

Noted but Might've Missed the Bond Boat
    Regé-Jean Page
    Henry Cavill
    Sam Caflin
    Jamie Dornan
    Jonas Armstrong

Likely Aged Out But Maybe Could Make It Work
    Sam Heughan
    Tom Hiddleston
    Idris Elba
    Luke Evans
    Joe Armstrong
    Tom Hardy

Not Quite There/Been There
    Michael Fassbender
    Matt Smith
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    Taron Egerton
    Jamie Bell
    Eddie Redmayne
    Dominic Cooper
    Harry Styles

Now ... going to cite back to this anytime we discuss the handful of longshot, wildcard, non-traditional options.

Added Thomas Doherty (who I'd previously intentionally left off because my first impression was off),

td-headshot-michael-shelford-1674684107.jpg?crop=1.00xw:1.00xh;0,0&resize=1200:*

and Tom Bateman to this list. Who apparently dates/dated Daisy Ridley?

daisy-ridley-tom-bateman-rare-appearance-05.jpg

If you want the next actor to be named some variation of "Joe" or "James/Jamie" your odds seem high.
    I always say that while Thomas Doherty looks a lot like Sean Connery, he never really reminds me of him. He doesn’t quite have that same raw charisma or presence. I think he’s a good actor but I really don’t think he’s very Bondian… my gut instinct is he’d make a cool villain if anything.