Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Venutius wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    I suppose if he could get away with saying 'I'd rather slit my wrists than play Bond again' he could get away with this one earlier as well.
    Although, tbf, what he actually said was 'What - now ?! I'd rather...' etc. That preface changes the whole statement - which is precisely why the conniving, stirring swines in the media always edited it out.

Fair point, I didn't actually know the full quote until now myself.

I suppose one can argue it's not a diplomatic thing to say, and it shows a similar straightforwardness to what he said in that GQ article (with a similar amount of swearing) that I suspect other actors would have avoided. I get the sense he's just someone who tends to speak his mind. Still, it's interesting that he didn't seem to be trying to court the producers in order to get the role, and even seemed to be on the fence about the whole thing. You can even argue saying those things in that interview during the audition process would have hindered lesser actors.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yes, Craig did benefit from EON having their hearts set on him so firmly, I think. Look how off he was with the media's questions about Sienna Miller at his first press conference, yet even that didn't seem to faze BB and MGW. At least he didn't walk off in a strop when the Marines insisted he wear that lifejacket, I guess - I thought he might for a second.
    Being a fellow Northerner, I get Dan's bluntness, the sometimes harsh humour and his, er, 'industrial' language - but I can also see how it might come over differently if someone's not used to it or maybe doesn't recognise it for what it is. I saw the 'rather slit my wrists' interview at the time and I cracked out laughing - it was obviously a joke and, to a Northerner, a funny one. It did look different in print once the opening line had been edited, but that was down to the press stirring it for the phony controversy, tbh.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I always read Daniel Craig's comment with a humorous inflection, but then I'd read the whole interview. I actually laughed at his statement, iirc. That's the trouble with print journalism, though - the journalist can subvert a comment by the way they describe, or fail to describe, their subject.

As I remember it was mainly the Americans on the message boards I read who were outraged by Craig's comment, the British and Australians tended to see it as good humoured, the Americans as high drama.

• More tidbits here at 2:15 about meeting Barbara

• edited November 2023 Posts: 3,024
    More tidbits here at 2:15 about meeting Barbara

I think tidbits like that show how EON work when getting a new Bond. It might explain the ATJ meeting rumours that were blown out of proportion.

I get the sense they try to approach actors informally first to get a sense of them - how interested they’d be in the role, how they are personally etc. I mean, it’s a long haul job and they have to know they’re testing the right person. There’s a good possibility that they've already met the next James Bond even if they don’t know who it’ll be yet, and even if auditions haven’t started yet.
  • 007HallY wrote: »

It might explain the ATJ meeting rumours that were blown out of proportion.
    As you would expect, an informal talk over tea has likely happened. I do trust her. She knew that Craig was the one.

It might explain the ATJ meeting rumours that were blown out of proportion.
    As you would expect, an informal talk over tea has likely happened. I do trust her. She knew that Craig was the one.

Honestly, I’d be surprised if other actors weren’t given the ‘cup of tea’ treatment as well during this time. ATJ may well just happen to be the most well known and so the press latched onto him.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Just for fun and if anyone bites, here's a list of some British actors I think could be suitable for a screentest. I said screentest.

Sope Dirisu
    Actor-Sope-Dirisu-Playing-A-Role-On-TV-Series-Gangs-Of-London.jpg?quality=86&strip=all

Jacob Anderson
    image.jpg?id=31875217&width=1310&quality=80

Daniel Kaluuya
    dk.jpeg

Michael Ward
    0223_Michael_Ward_embed01.jpg

Nick Sagar
    tumblr_oyrn0pERvm1uqr5j7o1_1280.jpg

...and Another of Sagar.. because I like to look at him.
    NICK+LOW+RES+2.jpg?format=2500w

you obviously have issues choosing any actor that is white, dark haired, blue eyed and fits the description of the literary character...
    It'd be a hard no for all of them from me. Same as with Idris - could never see even the vaguest Bondian air about him. Yet I think Sope would be great. Funny old world.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    They'd be more suitable for a screentest for Shaft than James Bond but what would I know?
    I'd say yes to Dirisu and Anderson (actually the latter I can see being another left field but plausible choice, and he's not one I've seen mentioned until now... I can see him working in the role, good shout). I'm not familiar with Nick Sagar to say one way or the other. I don't see Bond from Ward or Kaluuya (and I think the latter is too famous now).
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,450

you obviously have issues choosing any actor that is white, dark haired, blue eyed and fits the description of the literary character...

I don't have any issue with them going that route. I wouldn't have any issue if they went this route, either, and that's where you and me are different. We'll leave it at that, shall we? I respect your choices, you can respect mine by at least ignoring them instead of baiting argument.

I personally will never look one of my non-white friends in the face and try to argue to them that James Bond will never look like them and point to books written in the 1950s as my argument. It's just laughable and rude, regardless of your intentions. The world has moved on from Ian Fleming.

Take care.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    They'd be more suitable for a screentest for Shaft than James Bond but what would I know?

I was thinking like a casting agent, not a fan, to be clear to @jetsetwilly and @Venutius and the group. Who would Eon potentially want to talk to, if they were to expand beyond the typical crop of names? These are a few I could come up with, especially if they're looking to perhaps challenge the notion of who Bond is in this way next time around.
    I'd say yes to Dirisu and Anderson (actually the latter I can see being another left field but plausible choice, and he's not one I've seen mentioned until now... I can see him working in the role, good shout). I'm not familiar with Nick Sagar to say one way or the other. I don't see Bond from Ward or Kaluuya (and I think the latter is too famous now).

Thank you for your measured and kind response, which actually considered my choices even if they weren't a good fit. I appreciate you. And with what I wrote above in the other responses in mind, I too also really only see Sope and Anderson as getting anywhere close. Maybe Sagar, as I like his look (especially in the first image) and he's a martial artist in real life, so hopefully he could elevate the fights.

While we're on the topic of potential non-white Bond actors, I'd want to see what a bulked-up Dev Patel looks like (with short hair and shaven), or a bulked-up Kunal Nayyar (with short hair and shaven). Again, I'm just casting a wide net, which might or might not be what Eon does. I'm just having fun. Don't get mad at me.

Thank you for your measured and kind response, which actually considered my choices even if they weren't a good fit. I appreciate you. And with what I wrote above in the other responses in mind, I too also really only see Sope and Anderson as getting anywhere close.

While we're on the topic of potential non-white Bond actors, I'd want to see what a bulked-up Dev Patel looks like (with short hair and shaven), or a bulked-up Kunal Nayyar (with short hair and shaven). Again, I'm just casting a wide net, which might or might not be what Eon does. I'm just having fun. Don't get mad at me.

No problem. I know Patel's been mentioned a few times as a potential choice (maybe not here but more in the rumour mill) but I don't think his strengths as an actor lie in playing a character like Bond. He's best when playing younger characters with a more 'everyman' quality to them if that makes sense. I actually haven't seen any of Nayyar's work beyond Big Bang, and I have a dislike of that show so will be biased!
    No problem. I know Patel's been mentioned a few times as a potential choice (maybe not here but more in the rumour mill) but I don't think his strengths as an actor lie in playing a character like Bond. He's best when playing younger characters with a more 'everyman' quality to them if that makes sense. I actually haven't seen any of Nayyar's work beyond Big Bang, and I have a dislike of that show so will be biased!

Haha, fair criticisms of both, I have to admit. It would take a lot of convincing for me for either, but again, thinking as a casting agent or producer maybe looking to be a little more inspired, I think they are wildcards.
    Venutius wrote:
    It'd be a hard no for all of them from me. Same as with Idris - could never see even the vaguest Bondian air about him. Yet I think Sope would be great. Funny old world.

I think Idris worked very hard to "Americanize" himself, both in work and in the public eye. He's always played to more American audiences and never quite did much intimate UK work beyond Luther.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    Anyhoo, on to more realistic offerings. This guy isn't wrong:

https://screenrant.com/new-james-bond-michael-fassbender-007-garth-ennis/
    Again, it might just be me, but I always felt Fassbender's character in Inglorious was meant to be an exaggerated, sort of pastiche of a James Bond character rather than the real deal (even then it comes off as less James Bond and more the sort of English gentleman 'man of action' character you'd occasionally get in English literature before Bond). I guess it's a subtle different but I'm not sure it's quite the audition for the role that some people see it as.

Not a reader of the comics myself, but I'm a bit cautious about the way Screen Rant have described Ennis' take on Bond (ie. being a 'darker' figure that takes inspiration from the books and not the movies... I mean, I know the films tend to exaggerate elements of the novels, but I feel some people tend to believe that the literary Bond was brooding and humorurless. Fleming's Bond did in fact have a sense of humour, was even quite lighthearted in several passages of the novels, and certainly had a zest for life in spite of all his personal dissatisfactions/problems).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I always suspected that this is the role he was being eyed for.

I still think he has potential as Bond.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/nicholas-hoult-superman-legacy-lex-luther-1235630393/amp/
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Hoult is definitely an actor who I could see as a potential Bond.
    His age and acting ability would suggest that now is the time.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hoult's one of the few that went from a laughable idea in my eyes as a Bond suggestion to one I could probably see. He's still not on my shortlist but there are much worse options out there.
    ATJ's name up again, this time related to Empire's preview of 2024's remake, Nosferatu by director Robert Eggers. He's not the Professor nor the vampire, and he's mentioned as a "friend of Hutter and a rich shipping merchant" named Friedrich Harding on the Robert Eggers fandom wiki's available "Nosferatu" script I found, which may be the movie currently in production (that would be wild!).

EMPIRE (which doesn't mention ATJ)
    SCRIPT

My guess is ATJ is either this story's typical ship captain, or perhaps some type of Van Helsing. We'll see. No confirmed release date yet but if it's horror, I'd guess around Halloween.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    He's definitely playing Friedrich Harding, both Wikipedia and iMDB list him as such, and Emma Corrin seems to be playing his wife. I imagine the script has gone through another draft between when it was leaked and when Nosferatu went into production, given its a project he's been approaching for a while.

Without going off topic too much, I'm truly excited for this film, with ATJ being only one aspect of what I'm excited about. As he's one of my top contenders for 007, I'm excited to see what he does and what he gets to do. Who knows maybe Eggers is working with the soon to be leader of a franchise like he did with Pattinson before Batman?

I still remember this image of the male stars together at dinner while filming in Prague:

BILL%20SKARSGARD%20AARON%20TAYLOR%20JOHNSON%20NICHOLAS%20HOULT.png
    Denbigh wrote: »
    He's definitely playing Friedrich Harding, both Wikipedia and iMDB list him as such, and Emma Corrin seems to be playing his wife. I imagine the script has gone through another draft between when it was leaked and when Nosferatu went into production, given its a project he's been approaching for a while.

Without going off topic too much, I'm truly excited for this film, with ATJ being only one aspect of what I'm excited about. As he's one of my top contenders for 007, I'm excited to see what he does and what he gets to do. Who knows maybe Eggers is working with the soon to be leader of a franchise like he did with Pattinson before Batman?

I still remember this image of the male stars together at dinner while filming in Prague:

Harding is an invented character for this film, correct? At least in name? I saw some suggestions online it was a cover name for a new character to fill the role of the captain of the ship the vampire arrives on (Empusa in Nosferatu), or that it was a cover for a Van Helsing-type character/role (there may be legal reasons they can't call him VH here). I haven't truly peeked at that online script, and sort of don't want to.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Denbigh wrote: »

Harding is an invented character for this film, correct? At least in name? I saw some suggestions online it was a cover name for a new character to fill the role of the captain of the ship the vampire arrives on (Empusa in Nosferatu), or that it was a cover for a Van Helsing-type character/role (there may be legal reasons they can't call him VH here). I haven't truly peeked at that online script, and sort of don't want to.
    I'm gonna bring my reply to this over to The Horror Thread so we're not spending too much time talking about Nosferatu ;)

I don't have any issue with them going that route. I wouldn't have any issue if they went this route, either, and that's where you and me are different. We'll leave it at that, shall we? I respect your choices, you can respect mine by at least ignoring them instead of baiting argument.

I personally will never look one of my non-white friends in the face and try to argue to them that James Bond will never look like them and point to books written in the 1950s as my argument. It's just laughable and rude, regardless of your intentions. The world has moved on from Ian Fleming.

Take care.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I was thinking like a casting agent, not a fan, to be clear to @jetsetwilly and @Venutius and the group. Who would Eon potentially want to talk to, if they were to expand beyond the typical crop of names? These are a few I could come up with, especially if they're looking to perhaps challenge the notion of who Bond is in this way next time around.

Thank you for your measured and kind response, which actually considered my choices even if they weren't a good fit. I appreciate you. And with what I wrote above in the other responses in mind, I too also really only see Sope and Anderson as getting anywhere close. Maybe Sagar, as I like his look (especially in the first image) and he's a martial artist in real life, so hopefully he could elevate the fights.

There is nothing rude about me wanting an actor to play a role who fits the literary description. Careful what you are doing here, as it appears though you are baiting. Maybe that was your intention?
    I think that Sope embodies more of the qualities needed to play Bond than any of the other suggested candidates. But jetsetwilly is right - it's not remotely 'wrong' in any sense to want Bond to be played by a white actor. There's a line between Devil's Advocate and baiting - let's not cross it on here, eh?
    I think that Sope embodies more of the qualities needed to play Bond than any of the other suggested candidates. But jetsetwilly is right - it's not remotely 'wrong' in any sense to want Bond to be played by a white actor. There's a line between Devil's Advocate and baiting - let's not cross it on here, eh?

We're not getting into it again. I'm not baiting. That's my side and how I see it. The fact that you see a challenge to your fan view of the character, or any criticism of its creator, as bait could indeed be telling, on the flip side, if you want to go there. James Bond doesn't have to be white, nor does Sherlock Holmes, etc. which is a pretty common view in the arts and I know I'm not alone, so it's fine if a few of you die-hards disagree with me. I'm just saying, go talk to people about it in the real world and try to uphold your argument. Good luck.

To say I'm baiting, when @jetsetwilly went back dozens of pages and hundreds of posts ago to quote me, is actually baiting. Please see straight. I love coming to a forum, posting about non-white actors, and being threatened. That's the message you all are sending. I'm going to start taking screenshots and talking publicly about this on other message boards and socials I'm on. It's reached that point.

In fact, I've even moved on since @jetsetwilly dredged this crap up again yesterday, as you can clearly see by my multiple posts discussing other (WHITE) actors for the role, which you all conveniently skipped over to continue dunking on me for merely suggesting Bond doesn't have to be white. Look at yourselves. If I could personally block users of this forum, I'd go ahead and do you both right now to save me some trouble. I haven't done anything wrong, nor gone against community guidelines in any way.

In case you all missed it ...
    LucknFate wrote:
    ATJ's name up again, this time related to Empire's preview of 2024's remake, Nosferatu by director Robert Eggers. He's not the Professor nor the vampire, and he's mentioned as a "friend of Hutter and a rich shipping merchant" named Friedrich Harding on the Robert Eggers fandom wiki's available "Nosferatu" script I found, which may be the movie currently in production (that would be wild!).

SCRIPT

My guess is ATJ is either this story's typical ship captain, or perhaps some type of Van Helsing. We'll see. No confirmed release date yet but if it's horror, I'd guess around Halloween.

Or feel free to pick up here and let's move on:
    talos7 wrote:

https://deadline.com/2023/11/nicholas-hoult-superman-legacy-lex-luther-1235630393/amp/

We're not getting into it again. I'm not baiting. That's my side and how I see it. The fact that you see a challenge to your fan view of the character, or any criticism of its creator, as bait could indeed be telling, on the flip side, if you want to go there. James Bond doesn't have to be white, nor does Sherlock Holmes, etc. which is a pretty common view in the arts and I know I'm not alone, so it's fine if a few of you die-hards disagree with me. I'm just saying, go talk to people about it in the real world and try to uphold your argument. Good luck.

To say I'm baiting, when @jetsetwilly went back dozens of pages and hundreds of posts ago to quote me, is actually baiting. Please see straight. I love coming to a forum, posting about non-white actors, and being threatened. That's the message you all are sending. I'm going to start taking screenshots and talking publicly about this on other message boards and socials I'm on. It's reached that point.

In fact, I've even moved on since @jetsetwilly dredged this crap up again yesterday, as you can clearly see by my multiple posts discussing other (WHITE) actors for the role, which you all conveniently skipped over to continue dunking on me for merely suggesting Bond doesn't have to be white. Look at yourselves. If I could personally block users of this forum, I'd go ahead and do you both right now to save me some trouble. I haven't done anything wrong, nor gone against community guidelines in any way.

In case you all missed it ...
    LucknFate wrote:

SCRIPT

Or feel free to pick up here and let's move on:
    talos7 wrote:

Your attitude here speaks volumes. Others can make up their own mind on how you are coming across. I don’t think anything more needs to be said. Let’s move on.
    [The fact that you see a challenge to your fan view of the character, or any criticism of its creator, as bait could indeed be telling, on the flip side, if you want to go there. James Bond doesn't have to be white, nor does Sherlock Holmes, etc. which is a pretty common view in the arts and I know I'm not alone, so it's fine if a few of you die-hards disagree with me. I'm just saying, go talk to people about it in the real world and try to uphold your argument. Good luck.
    Which bit of me saying 'I think that Sope embodies more of the qualities needed to play Bond than any of the other suggested candidates' did you miss?
    Maybe sometimes it’s just best to admit people have different opinions on this and agree to disagree. I mean, @LucknFate posted those picks ages ago and life’s too short to seriously argue on the internet.

Will happily resurrect the ‘is the face in the SF PTS a young boy or Daniel Craig’ debate if it’ll avoid this particular conflict 😂
    Maybe sometimes it’s just best to admit people have different opinions on this and agree to disagree. I mean, @LucknFate posted those picks ages ago and life’s too short to seriously argue on the internet.

Will happily resurrect the ‘is the face in the SF PTS a young boy or Daniel Craig’ debate if it’ll avoid this particular conflict 😂
    I hadn’t been on this thread for a while so I was working my way through several pages back, so I can see why it appeared as though I was potentially gunning for an argument by responding to an older post.

What I didn’t appreciate was being told it was ‘rude’ and ‘laughable’ to want an actor to resemble the literary version, or that this member was being’ ‘threatened’ because he posted black actor suggestions. Anyone can clearly see he wasn’t being threatened.

To then say he will start reposting these messages on other forums is showing his true intentions and also shows the type of person he is.