Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Based on the evidence of The Killer, Fassbender would be a great Bond!

But as he'll probably be ... ohh, say 105 years old by the time they get around to making the next couple of films, it may not be practical.
  • He needs a hairpiece.
    007HallY wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    An allegation is not an affirmation ; ask Johnny Depp.
    Were the allegations against Fassbender verified?
    Now, allegations of abuse must be taken seriously, but if false can be very destructive. We’re there reports from multiple women; is it a pattern of alleged behavior?
    I’m not defending him, I just know very little about the situation.

Neither do I really. But I think if he’d have ever been considered for Bond it would have worked against him. Honestly, there’s a good chance they’d have stayed away from him because of it. They’re pretty serious allegations.

Like I said though I don’t think it’s a big loss. Over time I think I’ve come to the conclusion he just isn’t the sort of actor who can carry a film like Bond on his own. He just lacks that extra bit of personality as an actor.
    I have seen him in fairly little, so cannot comment much, bur what I saw just wasn't memorable. Not bad, just nothing outstanding. Another Clive Owen I guess.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    I would just find his casting quite obvious and unexciting. I’m sure he would’ve been good a while ago but now, for me, he’s joined the list of obvious actors who have already basically played a variation of James Bond; Michael Fassbender, Henry Cavill, Idris Elba, Tom Hiddleston. It’s why their names are always brought up in the press and on Twitter because they’ve already basically played the part.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 3,059
    Ludovico wrote: »
    An allegation is not an affirmation ; ask Johnny Depp.
    Were the allegations against Fassbender verified?
    Now, allegations of abuse must be taken seriously, but if false can be very destructive. We’re there reports from multiple women; is it a pattern of alleged behavior?
    I’m not defending him, I just know very little about the situation.

Neither do I really. But I think if he’d have ever been considered for Bond it would have worked against him. Honestly, there’s a good chance they’d have stayed away from him because of it. They’re pretty serious allegations.

Like I said though I don’t think it’s a big loss. Over time I think I’ve come to the conclusion he just isn’t the sort of actor who can carry a film like Bond on his own. He just lacks that extra bit of personality as an actor.
    I have seen him in fairly little, so cannot comment much, bur what I saw just wasn't memorable. Not bad, just nothing outstanding. Another Clive Owen I guess.

Yeah, he’s similar to Owen. Fassbender’s a better actor I’d say, and certainly a very good one. But he didn’t have the star power or presence as an actor to carry a franchise or big entertainment film on his own (his performance in Assassin’s Creed is fine, but a bit flat, and it’s the same for The Snowman and Jonah Hex - in the context of the films he’s one of the better things about them, but he doesn’t make them more watchable through his performance). He’s better in intense supporting roles or smaller films where the director has a clear artistic vision/style so he can get into the character a bit more (so the likes of Shame and this new Fincher film).

I think Bond was a bit out of his depth unfortunately.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Had we not had Daniel, Fassbender would have been a fantastic Bond. That one scene in "Inglourious Basterds" was the perfect audition and he nailed it

Man I would have given one of my kidneys to an enemy even, for Fassbender in stead of Craig. The Killer is pretty good but Fassie always delivers, a great actor. He could still do a trilogy indeed. So much better than most of the other propositions.

8e931e2de5138aa13cee3dadae8c3cffd564e759.gifv

I agree. He could still do it. I'd rather they get the best actor for the job rather than prioritising him having to be young. The Killer showed he could still most definitely play Bond.
  • Yes, they should hire a TV actor ;)
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Yes, they should hire a TV actor ;)

Like this one?

1874ffgoonk61.jpg
  • LucknFate wrote: »

Like this one?

1874ffgoonk61.jpg

No, the one who looks like any other Bond but uglier.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    [deleted]
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,450
    LucknFate wrote: »

Like this one?

1874ffgoonk61.jpg

Oh, this one:

tumblr_static_filename_2048_v2.jpg

Unrelated, I don't want him for Bond, but if Elordi ever did it and picked up a Fleming book, it sounds like his Bond would be smoking lol:

F-6Ap71XEAEi4_R?format=jpg&name=medium

X LINK
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon

Like this one?

1874ffgoonk61.jpg

Oh, this one:

tumblr_static_filename_2048_v2.jpg

It'll make me sleep better tonight to know you're still trolling
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,049
    I'd have taken Fassbender instead of Craig, personally. The ship has sailed for him now.

He's leagues ahead of the likes of Clive Owen in terms of ability. I find many are quick to blame the actor for film's failures - Fassbender should have fired his agent after Assassin's Creed. That was doomed regardless of who was in it.

He has star power and charisma to burn. A film like The Killer wouldn't work if he didn't have it.

Alas, it's moot. It's not to be now.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,944
    Have to say, I've never liked Fassbender in anything I've seen him in. Sorry, guys! Always found him cold and unengaging, tbh. He's effective at playing dislikeable, but I can't remember seeing him in anything where I've actually been rooting for his character. Then again, Dan played a lot of 'orrible swines pre-2005 but I was completely invested in his Bond by the time he escaped the embassy in CR, so with Fassbender it could be one of those where it's hard to gauge unless they're actually playing the role. I do like the sound of The Killer, though, so I'll give that a go.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,653
    Venutius wrote: »
    Have to say, I've never liked Fassbender in anything I've seen him in. Sorry, guys! Always found him cold and unengaging, tbh. He's effective at playing dislikeable, but I can't remember seeing him in anything where I've actually been rooting for his character. Then again, Dan played a lot of 'orrible swines pre-2005 but I was completely invested in his Bond by the time he escaped the embassy in CR, so with Fassbender it could be one of those where it's hard to gauge unless they're actually playing the role. I do like the sound of The Killer, though, so I'll give that a go.

I also see a coldness, a distance in his performances. It works for The Killer, but I wouldn’t want this in James Bond (I’m talking about an actor who’s cold and distant, not a character who has “a” coldness to him. An actor like that looks like he’s “acting” when he then tries to be warm and say, smiles (I can’t stand when Fassbender smiles, 😂. Call it my personal quirk)).
    peter wrote: »
    I also see a coldness, a distance in his performances...I wouldn’t want this in James Bond (I’m talking about an actor who’s cold and distant, not a character who has “a” coldness to him.
    That articulates it better than I could, Peter, but, yes, that sums up how I feel about Fassbender too.

• George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Unrelated, I don't want him for Bond, but if Elordi ever did it and picked up a Fleming book, it sounds like his Bond would be smoking lol:

X LINK

I just had a look at this guy in Euphoria. I'd rather the series end than have him as Bond.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

X LINK

I just had a look at this guy in Euphoria. I'd rather the series end than have him as Bond.

Never seen him in anything, but just from a popularity and ticking-boxes standpoint, I'd expect him to be pretty high on EON's list...
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 3,059

X LINK

Yeah, Euphoria’s a series that really peaked and then went downhill weirdly quickly.

Elordi’s a decent actor, but I think he’s too young. I don’t really see him as Bond either even though he has that young Henry Cavill look. I think if you’re that young for Bond you have to be a hell of an actor or really have that ‘older’ quality about you. I’m sure he has room to grow in both areas.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring

X LINK

Yeah, Euphoria’s a series that really peaked and then went downhill weirdly quickly.

Elordi’s a decent actor, but I think he’s too young. I don’t really see him as Bond either even though he has that young Henry Cavill look. I think if you’re that young for Bond you have to be a hell of an actor or really have that ‘older’ quality about you. I’m sure he has room to grow in both areas.

I also think he's too tall to be Bond. He's 6'5.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

X LINK

He's too tall.

X LINK

To be fair I don’t think height is a dealbreaker. I think there are wonderful candidates who are below 5’11. I also think some of the best actors of all time were under this height and towered on the screen to the point I’d believe they were 6 foot.

I suppose it can go the other way too. It really depends on the actor, and there’s always going to be a need for ‘movie magic’ in order to adjust height (even Daniel Craig needed ‘lifts’ when Olga Kurylenko wire heels in QOS).
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 789

X LINK

He looks like a nerdy version of Josh Hartnett
    Elordi has quite the punchable face. In other news, I finally got to see Amazon's 'Fifteen Love', starring Aidan Turner. He was brilliant in it, plays a sociopathic narcissist to a Tee. As with Fassbender I hope he still has a chance.

2d407af927e3317407f0329f79c48769.jpg
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,534
    It's a such a shame they're looking for a considerably younger Bond, because I think Turner would make a great Bond, he definitely has the look.

Had Craig left after Spectre, I think Turner would have been the best option
    Still my number one choice.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I know some tired of seeing his name but he’s still one of my top picks.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I know some tired of seeing his name but he’s still one of my top picks.

I'd rather see Lazenby return.
    Cubby would've hired Turner the same week SP left cinemas.

Venutius wrote: »
    Cubby would've hired Turner the same week SP left cinemas.

At least he had THE brains, also would 've never settled for woke nonsense