Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited November 2023 Posts: 3,017
    007HallY wrote: »
    Maybe sometimes it’s just best to admit people have different opinions on this and agree to disagree. I mean, @LucknFate posted those picks ages ago and life’s too short to seriously argue on the internet.

Will happily resurrect the ‘is the face in the SF PTS a young boy or Daniel Craig’ debate if it’ll avoid this particular conflict 😂
    I hadn’t been on this thread for a while so I was working my way through several pages back, so I can see why it appeared as though I was potentially gunning for an argument by responding to an older post.

What I didn’t appreciate was being told it was ‘rude’ and ‘laughable’ to want an actor to resemble the literary version, or that this member was being’ ‘threatened’ because he posted black actor suggestions. Anyone can clearly see he wasn’t being threatened.

To then say he will start reposting these messages on other forums is showing his true intentions and also shows the type of person he is.

Yeah, it’s obviously one of those Bond arguments on here that stirs up some pretty strong feelings in some people. I mean, didn’t this thread temporarily vanish last time because of this sort of thing?

Anyway, it’s like you said, best just to move on. People can make up their own minds about all this :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    I've actually been wanting to ask if anyone has watched Nowhere Boy yet? It's one of my favourite films and given the old rumours (true or not) I wondered if anyone went through ATJ's filmography?

• @Denbigh I've seen it a while ago. He's good as a young John. Just need to see Kraven now and we'll all have our minds made up
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    @Denbigh I've seen it a while ago. He's good as a young John. Just need to see Kraven now and we'll all have our minds made up
    As much as I like ATJ as an actor, I don't have much hope for Kraven haha, I'm more excited for his appearances in Nosferatu and The Fall Guy.
  • This guy is nuts!! Jump up not back mate 😂
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    This guy is nuts!! Jump up not back mate 😂

giphy.gif

That was close, he almost didn't stick the landing on that first one. ;)
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,447
    Maybe sometimes it’s just best to admit people have different opinions on this and agree to disagree. I mean, @LucknFate posted those picks ages ago and life’s too short to seriously argue on the internet.

Will happily resurrect the ‘is the face in the SF PTS a young boy or Daniel Craig’ debate if it’ll avoid this particular conflict 😂
    I hadn’t been on this thread for a while so I was working my way through several pages back, so I can see why it appeared as though I was potentially gunning for an argument by responding to an older post.

What I didn’t appreciate was being told it was ‘rude’ and ‘laughable’ to want an actor to resemble the literary version, or that this member was being’ ‘threatened’ because he posted black actor suggestions. Anyone can clearly see he wasn’t being threatened.

To then say he will start reposting these messages on other forums is showing his true intentions and also shows the type of person he is.

To say that simply posting pictures of non-white actors is baiting, in that you are suggesting you will flag my content as the work of a troll simply for disagreeing with you. That's threatening.

And to put my words back into context, I said telling a non-white person that the cinematic James Bond has to be white is, in my opinion, indeed a rude and laughable thing to say to a non-white person, in that particular situation, to this person's face.

All you have to back your argument with is an author who, we'll say, did not paint non-white people in the best light, and that's who you're taking sides with.

And if you're not comfortable with your posts being shared for the content that you put in them, that's on you. I shouldn't be worried I will lose access to this forum or I'm IP banned because I think maybe James Bond doesn't have to be white for the next movie. I'm not shelving my enthusiasm to protect yours.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    It's a young kid. Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)
    I firmly believe there's an unknown, 7th young Bond actor out there and we'll find out one day. It's on my list of questions for the next time I meet one of the Eon/Skyfall higher ups.
    LucknFate wrote: »

To say that simply posting pictures of non-white actors is baiting, in that you are suggesting you will flag my content as the work of a troll simply for disagreeing with you. That's threatening.

And to put my words back into context, I said telling a non-white person that the cinematic James Bond has to be white is, in my opinion, indeed a rude and laughable thing to say to a non-white person, in that particular situation, to this person's face.

All you have to back your argument with is an author who, we'll say, did not paint non-white people in the best light, and that's who you're taking sides with.

And if you're not comfortable with your posts being shared for the content that you put in them, that's on you. I shouldn't be worried I will lose access to this forum or I'm IP banned because I think maybe James Bond doesn't have to be white for the next movie. I'm not shelving my enthusiasm to protect yours.
    I couldn’t care less where else you post messages that aren’t yours. The fact that you feel the need to is your problem.

And taking sides with Fleming because I want the literary description on screen? 😂
    Mate, grow up!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I firmly believe there's an unknown, 7th young Bond actor out there and we'll find out one day. It's on my list of questions for the next time I meet one of the Eon/Skyfall higher ups.

It could be that Bind actor number 7 is yet to be born. That way he'll really grow into the part, somewhat like the Dalai Lama.

I couldn’t care less where else you post messages that aren’t yours. The fact that you feel the need to is your problem.

And taking sides with Fleming because I want the literary description on screen? 😂
    Mate, grow up!

You are the one who can't imagine your favorite character as anything other than how he was introduced and has been portrayed for 70+ years, who spews a fit anytime you see a picture that isn't what you recognize. I think you are the one who should "grow up" and it's hopefully clear to everyone that I make arguments, you take shots. One of us is taking this seriously, because it matters to people beyond yourself.

Mate, grow up!

You are the one who can't imagine your favorite character as anything other than how he was introduced and has been portrayed for 70+ years, who spews a fit anytime you see a picture that isn't what you recognize. I think you are the one who should "grow up" and it's hopefully clear to everyone that I make arguments, you take shots. One of us is taking this seriously, because it matters to people beyond yourself.

Whatever. Life is too short to be arguing over BS like this. Apologies if I caused you any offence..
    Peace. 🙏
    edited November 2023 Posts: 17,850
    Maybe those concerned could draw a line in the sand here and respectfully agree to disagree? I think I'll go back to the literary Bond threads again for a while. Such historical matters are often discussed much more dispassionately here.
    Keeping in mind the popular thinking is they want a younger/30ish Bond (and assuming he's white):

Who?
    Fabien Frankel
    Paul Mescal
    Luke Thompson
    Jonathan Bailey
    Tom Brittney
    Joey Batey
    Tom Glynn-Carney
    Joe Alwyn
    Callum Turner
    Johnny Flynn
    Callum Woodhouse
    Nicholas Ralph
    Jack Lowden
    Fionn Whitehead

Popular/Rumorful/Asked About It
    Aaron Taylor Johnson
    Nicholas Hoult
    Josh O'Connor

Potential Age Fudge Zone
    Aidan Turner
    James Norton
    Richard Madden
    Oliver Jackson-Cohen

Noted but Might've Missed the Bond Boat
    Regé-Jean Page
    Henry Cavill
    Sam Caflin
    Jamie Dornan
    Jonas Armstrong

Likely Aged Out But Maybe Could Make It Work
    Sam Heughan
    Tom Hiddleston
    Idris Elba
    Luke Evans
    Joe Armstrong
    Tom Hardy

Not Quite There/Been There
    Michael Fassbender
    Matt Smith
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    Taron Egerton
    Jamie Bell
    Eddie Redmayne
    Dominic Cooper
    Harry Styles

Now ... going to cite back to this anytime we discuss the handful of longshot, wildcard, non-traditional options.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Keeping in mind the popular thinking is they want a younger/30ish Bond (and assuming he's white):

Who?
    Fabien Frankel
    Paul Mescal
    Luke Thompson
    Jonathan Bailey
    Tom Brittney
    Joey Batey
    Tom Glynn-Carney
    Joe Alwyn
    Callum Turner
    Johnny Flynn
    Callum Woodhouse
    Nicholas Ralph
    Jack Lowden
    Fionn Whitehead

Popular/Rumorful/Asked About It
    Aaron Taylor Johnson
    Nicholas Hoult
    Josh O'Connor

Potential Age Fudge Zone
    Aidan Turner
    James Norton
    Richard Madden
    Oliver Jackson-Cohen

Noted but Might've Missed the Bond Boat
    Regé-Jean Page
    Henry Cavill
    Sam Caflin
    Jamie Dornan
    Jonas Armstrong

Likely Aged Out But Maybe Could Make It Work
    Sam Heughan
    Tom Hiddleston
    Idris Elba
    Luke Evans
    Joe Armstrong
    Tom Hardy

Not Quite There/Been There
    Michael Fassbender
    Matt Smith
    Benedict Cumberbatch
    Taron Egerton
    Jamie Bell
    Eddie Redmayne
    Dominic Cooper
    Harry Styles

Now ... going to cite back to this anytime we discuss the handful of longshot, wildcard, non-traditional options.

Add Leo Suter to this list…
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Don’t know if he has tickets on himself, or if he’s just joking around, but Sam Heughan had this to say in an interview….

https://screenrant.com/james-bond-casting-007-why-sam-heughan-response/
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

This just made me cringe to be honest. I mean the guy is ripped fair enough, but he's not cool.
    I really don't see him as Bond
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2023 Posts: 8,009
    That voice…🙄
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I mean again it is acting. The actor doesn’t actually have to be James Bond…
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I've actually been wanting to ask if anyone has watched Nowhere Boy yet? It's one of my favourite films and given the old rumours (true or not) I wondered if anyone went through ATJ's filmography?

I love how this is a better indicator of ATJ’s suitability for the role than this…

Not me trying to be snarky about ATJ (although that’s a rather odd publicity video that Vanity Fair have gone for, and not flattering I’d say) but it does show you where to look for those Bondian qualities. In Nowhere Boy he has to convey stuff like sex appeal (weird thing to say as it’s about a 16 year old, but he was 19 at the time and it’s there so…), a sense of unpredictability, charisma etc.

It’s a bit like when I watched Saltburn recently. Recently it’s Elordi who’s had rumours about his potential as Bond, but honestly I can’t see it on the basis of that performance. He plays a sort of back slapping, upper class Oxford type - the sort of crowd Bond, loner as he is, would hate. His character is nice but a bit dim, so again very much unlike Bond. If anything it’s Barry Keoghan who has these moments of magnetism and charisma (albiet in a sort of unsettling way) and a sort of ‘control over the situation’ vibe at times in a comparatively unflattering role, especially when he’s in a tux. I’d say out of the two he’d make a better Bond based on that (not that I think either are suitable/realistic choices, but Keoghan actually has a good natural boxer’s physique/physicality, and despite the sort of young, loner characters he plays, is actually a relatively good looking guy in real life, so it’s there).
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    ATJ is a tool, like Jake Paul is a tool

James Bond Will Return in Neckbreaker.

Also, a British actor who calls trousers "pants"?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952k2504b3ewbuxhrlc8iih365220j009a0fnbt9k6s&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    Dragonpol wrote: »

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952k2504b3ewbuxhrlc8iih365220j009a0fnbt9k6s&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Gives me flashbacks to Craig calling his mobile a ‘cell phone’ in CR.

Gives me flashbacks to Craig calling his mobile a ‘cell phone’ in CR.

Yes, the scriptwriters are to blame for several Americanisms getting into the scripts over the years but the directors or actors should really spot those howlers too. "Station break" is another one from Tomorrow Never Dies.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Is it coincidence that they're dressed very similar haha :D
    I will say in ATJ’s defence, physicality is very important for Bond. You need that sense of an athlete’s (or indeed a dancer’s) control over your body. It feeds into that idea of Connery and Craig’s walk being the thing that drew producers to them. If an actor isn’t able to effectively dance onscreen, even to a rather simplistic degree, then how can they convincingly do the fight choreography?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I will say in ATJ’s defence, physicality is very important for Bond. You need that sense of an athlete’s (or indeed a dancer’s) control over your body. It feeds into that idea of Connery and Craig’s walk being the thing that drew producers to them. If an actor isn’t able to effectively dance onscreen, even to a rather simplistic degree, then how can they convincingly do the fight choreography?
    He does like his dancing...

I've not seen him acting in anything but he does come across as a bit arrogant and full of himself. I know that arrogance and swagger are often necessary components for Bond's character, but they're not admirable personal qualities nonetheless.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

I've not seen him acting in anything but he does come across as a bit arrogant and full of himself. I know that arrogance and swagger are often necessary components for Bond's character, but they're not admirable personal qualities nonetheless.
    I kinda think it's kinda impossible to not come across like this when you're a traditionally attractive celebrity though.