Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Had we not had Daniel, Fassbender would have been a fantastic Bond. That one scene in "Inglourious Basterds" was the perfect audition and he nailed it
    Is
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I posted this last year and my thoughts haven't changed. These are still my top 5 picks in no particular order.

XvcbXAD.jpeg

1. Sam Claflin
    2. Callum Turner
    3. Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    4. Sean Teale
    5. Sope Dirisu
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I don't envy the massive task, although I do trust EON's judgement
    100%
    It’s a good list. I would like to see Sean Teale in something Bond-like, I haven’t seen him really make his mark in anything, and I still can’t find that sci-fi series he did.
    Thanks, and yeah out of the five, he's probably the least likely because I doubt he's even on EON's radar. I mean I've only known of him for a while because of when he was on Skins although since then he hasn't done much to really stand out, but even with all that, I think he has a great look and enough talent as an actor to pull it off if given the chance.

Is it me or there's a lot of potential Bond actors coming from the cast of Skins? I've only watched the pilot episode, wasn't particularly impressed.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Is
    I posted this last year and my thoughts haven't changed. These are still my top 5 picks in no particular order.

XvcbXAD.jpeg

1. Sam Claflin
    2. Callum Turner
    3. Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    4. Sean Teale
    5. Sope Dirisu
    100%
    It’s a good list. I would like to see Sean Teale in something Bond-like, I haven’t seen him really make his mark in anything, and I still can’t find that sci-fi series he did.
    Thanks, and yeah out of the five, he's probably the least likely because I doubt he's even on EON's radar. I mean I've only known of him for a while because of when he was on Skins although since then he hasn't done much to really stand out, but even with all that, I think he has a great look and enough talent as an actor to pull it off if given the chance.

Is it me or there's a lot of potential Bond actors coming from the cast of Skins? I've only watched the pilot episode, wasn't particularly impressed.
    I mean off the top of my head: Nicholas Hoult, Jack O’Connell and Sean Teale. Skins was great at introducing new young British actors. It was known for holding open auditions and casting unknowns for its main cast (except Hoult) and many have gone on to have impressive careers. Dev Patel being another who got his real acting start on Skins.
    Is

XvcbXAD.jpeg

1. Sam Claflin
    2. Callum Turner
    3. Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    4. Sean Teale
    5. Sope Dirisu
    100%

I mean off the top of my head: Nicholas Hoult, Jack O’Connell and Sean Teale. Skins was great at introducing new young British actors. It was known for holding open auditions and casting unknowns for its main cast (except Hoult) and many have gone on to have impressive careers. Dev Patel being another who got his real acting start on Skins.

Well,,maybe that's the show we all need to check for the next Bond. Not for the quality of the show itself, but for what he brought in terms of acting talents.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Is

XvcbXAD.jpeg

1. Sam Claflin
    2. Callum Turner
    3. Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    4. Sean Teale
    5. Sope Dirisu
    100%

Well,,maybe that's the show we all need to check for the next Bond. Not for the quality of the show itself, but for what he brought in terms of acting talents.
    Not a bad shout. Unfortunately it’s finished now. It ended back in 2013, but for sure, there could be an actor from the seven seasons the show did have that we’re not even thinking of.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 3,059
    Much as I dislike Skins it is a show with a lot of solid British acting talent to come out of it. I like Teale as an actor, although I can imagine him more easily as a villain (but I’m sure he could be a potential Bond). O’Connell is one of my top picks and a well established actor in his own right (so not an A-lister but not an unknown either - very much the level of fame one would expect for Bond).

I’ve heard from friends of mine who like Skins actors such as Luke Pasqalino, Sebastian de Souza, Mervielle Lukeba and Sam Jackson being not unlikely left field choices for Bond. Can’t say I’m familiar with all of them and even my viewing of Skins lasted one series, so don’t know.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    Joe Cole (Peaky Blinders, Gangs of London) is another who first got people’s attention on Skins.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I just watched The Killer and don’t quite know how I feel about it. Damn , I don’t care about his age, Fassbender would make a great Bond; sign him and make a trilogy over a 10 year period.

What a dream that would be. He looks just about the same, and I reckon he'll keep looking the same until he's Clint Eastwood's age. There are a couple of Bondian scenes in a not so Bondian film that is The Killer. But I swear, the man has charisma. He doesn't even have to speak.
    I like Fassbender as an actor, but as Bond he would have been a liability. The guy’s had accusations about beating his ex girlfriend more than once, and I suspect with a high profile role such as Bond it would have become more of a thing publicly. Honestly, I’m kinda surprised it’s not more a thing, although his roles have been much more low key lately.

To be honest, I don’t think he would have even been the best candidate anyway.
    What? Isn’t he with Alicia Vikander for years now? I haven’t heard of such accusations before. I thought they lived in Lisbon together.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Fassbender is too old for the Bond role now I'd say so I guess it's irrelevant.
    Univex wrote: »
    What? Isn’t he with Alicia Vikander for years now? I haven’t heard of such accusations before. I thought they lived in Lisbon together.

It’s not Vikander. Think this was back in in the late 2000s. But yeah, the guy’s even had a restraining order taken against him because of it. You can look it up if you want (not that it’s nice reading). I’m genuinely surprised it’s not as big a thing. I suppose it maybe didn’t come to light till later and he’s not been working quite as consistently recently.

Like I said though I suspect it would have become a bit more difficult to hide if he were Bond (that’s if the producers would have taken him/refused to audition him because of this).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    007HallY wrote: »
    I like Fassbender as an actor, but as Bond he would have been a liability. The guy’s had accusations about beating his ex girlfriend more than once, and I suspect with a high profile role such as Bond it would have become more of a thing publicly. Honestly, I’m kinda surprised it’s not more a thing, although his roles have been much more low key lately.

Surprising he's still doing business after such allegations. But that should explain the low key projects.
    007HallY wrote: »

Surprising he's still doing business after such allegations. But that should explain the low key projects.

It could be. But I think it’s been public knowledge for a while so it’s weird. I think it’s also worth mentioning even in his X-Men period his films/presence didn’t usually equate to box office successes (people forget even First Class underperformed and he was in some pretty disastrous franchise films like Jonah Hex and Assassin’s Creed… and of course who can forget The Snowman?) Perhaps that relative lack of success and him generally being quite private made it easier to bury these allegations, awful as it sounds.

He was always better in smaller projects and ideally in those that he didn’t have to carry himself due to good direction, or where he wasn’t the lead. So that might also explain the decision to step away/stick to low key projects.

I really don’t think he has Craig’s gravitas or screen presence. As good an actor as he is I don’t think he would have been better than what we got. So it’s not a loss.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    An allegation is not an affirmation ; ask Johnny Depp.
    Were the allegations against Fassbender verified?
    Now, allegations of abuse must be taken seriously, but if false can be very destructive. We’re there reports from multiple women; is it a pattern of alleged behavior?
    I’m not defending him, I just know very little about the situation.
    talos7 wrote: »
    An allegation is not an affirmation ; ask Johnny Depp.
    Were the allegations against Fassbender verified?
    Now, allegations of abuse must be taken seriously, but if false can be very destructive. We’re there reports from multiple women; is it a pattern of alleged behavior?
    I’m not defending him, I just know very little about the situation.

Neither do I really. But I think if he’d have ever been considered for Bond it would have worked against him. Honestly, there’s a good chance they’d have stayed away from him because of it. They’re pretty serious allegations.

Like I said though I don’t think it’s a big loss. Over time I think I’ve come to the conclusion he just isn’t the sort of actor who can carry a film like Bond on his own. He just lacks that extra bit of personality as an actor.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I know all the arguments against him, but given it's probably going to be a few years yet until filming starts, I am more and more convinced by Connor Swindells. Just the right blend of serious acting ability and comedic timing, swagger, voice, size and handsomeness without being a pretty boy. It would be a serious jump in generations - he could conceivably be Craig's son - but I am also thinking that is what is needed. A 37-year-old who'll only play the role convincingly for 8 years isn't the way to go if 8 years only means two or three films..
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Swindells is a decent pick. The fact he's in Sex Education (which I still haven't seen) which is I believe a hit with the younger demographic would probably make him attractive to Eon.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I know all the arguments against him, but given it's probably going to be a few years yet until filming starts, I am more and more convinced by Connor Swindells. Just the right blend of serious acting ability and comedic timing, swagger, voice, size and handsomeness without being a pretty boy. It would be a serious jump in generations - he could conceivably be Craig's son - but I am also thinking that is what is needed. A 37-year-old who'll only play the role convincingly for 8 years isn't the way to go if 8 years only means two or three films..
    Swindells is a decent pick. The fact he's in Sex Education (which I still haven't seen) which is I believe a hit with the younger demographic would probably make him attractive to Eon.

I gave a shout out to Connor Swindells back in August and his name didn't seem to gather any great appeal.
    But he does potentially have something, even if his looks aren't necessarily the stereo typical Bond look.
    He's known without being priced out for EON, and can act, which is also a great advantage. Surprisinly.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Everyone is looking for a bargain, especially these days.

The cost of living crisis affects even Eon it seems.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Very true.

After these strikes, the studios have already started cutting away all fat… people are falling and projects aren’t being greenlit quite as quickly…

There’s a bit of an identity crisis happening in the film industry at the moment (and with a timely flop from Marvel, this pause and evaluation couldn’t come at a better time).
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    Had we not had Daniel, Fassbender would have been a fantastic Bond. That one scene in "Inglourious Basterds" was the perfect audition and he nailed it

Man I would have given one of my kidneys to an enemy even, for Fassbender in stead of Craig. The Killer is pretty good but Fassie always delivers, a great actor. He could still do a trilogy indeed. So much better than most of the other propositions.

8e931e2de5138aa13cee3dadae8c3cffd564e759.gifv

• Aye that was a cool film. He moves like a Ninja, a proper assassin, very cloak and dagger.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 17,864
    Aye that was a cool film. He moves like a Ninja, a proper assassin, very cloak and dagger.

I like his look but the only film I've ever really seen him in was as Harry Hole in The Snowman (2017) which wasn't a good introduction to him! It's not really his fault though, more that of the editor or the director. It's no wonder any plan to film more of the series of novels was put on ice.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    [deleted]
    @Dragonpol Yeah, The Snowman unfortunately had production issues (think they had a limited shooting time in Sweden and the director came on late) so roughly 10-15% of the script wasn’t actually shot. Much of the film is cobbled together footage from a rushed production and ADR. It doesn’t even look like it’s been fully colour graded to my eye. It’s legitimately interesting to watch in the sense that major studio films like that are rarely ever released in such an unfinished state. It really is a disaster. Just shows that no matter how good the team is (there’s some top notch talent in there including the great Thelma Schoonmaker) anything can go wrong with film production. Not a great introduction to Fassbender, needless to say!

I think the best indication of a Fassbender Bond is probably in X-Men First Class when he’s tracking down the Nazis towards the beginning of the film. He comes off as legitimately dangerous and cold. Even in Inglorious he’s playing a pastiche of Bond, not quite the real thing (I never thought it was a particularity good indicator of his Bondian potential). As I said though I don’t think he quite had the swagger, charm, or humour of Craig, and I’ve not seen anything from him to disprove that.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Fassbender would have played Bond effortlessly. It's soooooo obvious in First Class and Basterds. You can easily imagine him in LTK, going after Sanchez or in TLD interrogating Pushkin.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A fun “ what if”