Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It will always be the case of not necessarily the actor, but what is done with the Bond character that carries the day.

Denbigh wrote: »
    Well @jetsetwilly, Callum Turner is 6'2". He has a strong voice and a more Fleming look ;)

Good choice mate. 👍
    I’d have no problem if he was picked as the next Bond.
  • 007HallY wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, @jetsetwilly ... How is ATJ representative of Fleming Bond? I'd have assumed under your strict guidelines, the guy who presents the best would be an Aidan Turner, by far?

(If I was in charge, and if it came down to ATJ and Turner (two guys I don't think will clinch the role), I'd choose Turner 💯% of the time).

Personally, I find ATJ a bit dead behind the eyes. He's lacking in something for me. He's happy go lucky, but not in any way that I admire. He's got a terrific build, but it's not impressing me since Bond has to be more than "a build". His arrogance isn't appealing to me (this is tough to describe, but, I recently watched the Beckham documentary, and I really didn't know much about this guy, other than he was a footballer who was married to Posh, but being Canadian, I'm a hockey fanatic and know little to nothing about football.

But I found Beckham to have a dash of arrogance because of his god-given talent, but highly charismatic and extremely likable. There was this authenticity that I imagine is quite difficult to fake. So Beckham is someone, to me, has this arrogance about him, but at the same time I am drawn to him and curious (and he was instantly likeable)).

I suppose I don't find ATJ authentic in some ways.

I dunno....

But curious @jetsetwilly , because, although Sope has a skin color that is rich in melanin pigments that some find offensive for James Bond, I find his character much more suited to 007 than ATJ. I do find it shocking that this guy is your favorite??

It's purely on looks alone. These 2 photos from GQ swung it for me -

copilot-style-fashion-201309-aaron-taylor-jackson-gq-magazine-style-september-2013-08.jpg

f1783bda52532c164f8602f45477fb61.jpg

I haven't seen enough of him in acting roles to decide whether he would be ideal for Bond or not, but purely from a look point of view, I think he has it. I can see a bit of Lazenby in these 2 photos, he fits the literary description, and also appears to have the swagger for the cinematic version too.

I have issues with his voice from what I've heard when he speaks, but if we are focusing on looks alone, he has it. Turner would also be another choice for me too.

If you look back at Connery pre 1962, there isn't much in his early roles that screams Bond in terms of his performances, but he had the look. And I am using this basis for ATJ too.

(Edit) Sadly I've just read that ATJ is 5"10 tall, so this looks to be a no go from me now. A Bond actor needs to ideally be 6ft, 2" tall. Turner is too short as well.

I'm basically wanting a Timothy Dalton MKII.

See, I don’t think that was necessarily the view in 1962 necessarily. Connery was balding even then, he had bushy eyebrows, brown eyes, and paired with his heavy Scottish accent and rather ‘working class’ general impression (which is partly based on his film roles pre-62 too) I don’t think he was a majority’s view of the literary Bond. I guess he was sort of tall, dark and handsome, but certainly not in the ‘English gentleman’ way that I think the common perception was for the character at the time.

If anything actors like Moore or Craig have more directly in common with Fleming’s Bond with their cold blue eyes and ‘cruel’ mouths. But I think it’s a case of looking at the bigger picture with any of these actors.

Bond was a british Philip Marlowe. I think Connery fitted the bill.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It's nice to see actors getting debated about on here again, regardless of who they are it's cool to get some different opinions.

I have to say those photos of ATJ don't really strike me Bondian, he looks quite "unmemorable" with short hair. The one thing I'd say about all the Bond actors (aside from Lazenby perhaps) is they were all looked memorable and striking, which is what drew audiences in.
    ATJ disappears on screen in my opinion
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,904
    007HallY wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, @jetsetwilly ... How is ATJ representative of Fleming Bond? I'd have assumed under your strict guidelines, the guy who presents the best would be an Aidan Turner, by far?

(If I was in charge, and if it came down to ATJ and Turner (two guys I don't think will clinch the role), I'd choose Turner 💯% of the time).

Personally, I find ATJ a bit dead behind the eyes. He's lacking in something for me. He's happy go lucky, but not in any way that I admire. He's got a terrific build, but it's not impressing me since Bond has to be more than "a build". His arrogance isn't appealing to me (this is tough to describe, but, I recently watched the Beckham documentary, and I really didn't know much about this guy, other than he was a footballer who was married to Posh, but being Canadian, I'm a hockey fanatic and know little to nothing about football.

But I found Beckham to have a dash of arrogance because of his god-given talent, but highly charismatic and extremely likable. There was this authenticity that I imagine is quite difficult to fake. So Beckham is someone, to me, has this arrogance about him, but at the same time I am drawn to him and curious (and he was instantly likeable)).

I dunno....

But curious @jetsetwilly , because, although Sope has a skin color that is rich in melanin pigments that some find offensive for James Bond, I find his character much more suited to 007 than ATJ. I do find it shocking that this guy is your favorite??

copilot-style-fashion-201309-aaron-taylor-jackson-gq-magazine-style-september-2013-08.jpg

I haven't seen enough of him in acting roles to decide whether he would be ideal for Bond or not, but purely from a look point of view, I think he has it. I can see a bit of Lazenby in these 2 photos, he fits the literary description, and also appears to have the swagger for the cinematic version too.

I have issues with his voice from what I've heard when he speaks, but if we are focusing on looks alone, he has it. Turner would also be another choice for me too.

If you look back at Connery pre 1962, there isn't much in his early roles that screams Bond in terms of his performances, but he had the look. And I am using this basis for ATJ too.

(Edit) Sadly I've just read that ATJ is 5"10 tall, so this looks to be a no go from me now. A Bond actor needs to ideally be 6ft, 2" tall. Turner is too short as well.

See, I don’t think that was necessarily the view in 1962 necessarily. Connery was balding even then, he had bushy eyebrows, brown eyes, and paired with his heavy Scottish accent and rather ‘working class’ general impression (which is partly based on his film roles pre-62 too) I don’t think he was a majority’s view of the literary Bond. I guess he was sort of tall, dark and handsome, but certainly not in the ‘English gentleman’ way that I think the common perception was for the character at the time.

If anything actors like Moore or Craig have more directly in common with Fleming’s Bond with their cold blue eyes and ‘cruel’ mouths. But I think it’s a case of looking at the bigger picture with any of these actors.

I think at the time people were a bit mixed on what exactly Fleming’s Bond was. To many he was an English gentleman spy, and to others a suave but cold anti hero. You can see it in depictions of his appearance too - Fleming’s illustration of Bond is a lot more clean cut and smooth faced in comparison to John Mclusky’s more rugged depiction in comic strips pre 1962. Even in the casting of DN you had the likes of Trevor Howard being considered (much more ‘English’ and gentlemanly, more Sherlock Holmes than Bond I’d say) alongside the likes of Stanley Baker and Connery. In the end I’d argue Connery even played Bond in DN less as Fleming’s creation and more as that sort of always in control anti-hero, and it’s only in FRWL we see a more faithful version of the literary Bond. But there was that debate over what Bond should look like.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    007HallY wrote: »

I dunno....

I think you have a point there. John McLusky had already reimagined Bond's appearance as a more stereotypically masculine American-style he-man for the Daily Express comic strip. It's possible that was an influence on Connery's casting.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Marlowe carried a world-weariness that Bond didn't have: 'Wherever I went, whatever I did, this was what I would come back to. A blank wall in a meaningless room in a meaningless house.' Bond's worldview was different.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Venutius wrote: »
    Marlowe carried a world-weariness that Bond didn't have: 'Wherever I went, whatever I did, this was what I would come back to. A blank wall in a meaningless room in a meaningless house.' Bond's worldview was different.

He was also very much his own man, answering to nobody. Bond has to compromise.

Chandler was a big influence, though, and not just on Bond. Len Deighton's 'Harry Palmer' books are very, very obviously in debt to Chandler's Marlowe.
  • For me, the prospect of Jacob Elordi donning the iconic mantle of James Bond emerges is a tantalising proposition. Elordi's youthfulness injects a vibrant energy into the character, a vital infusion that the venerable franchise could benefit from. His magnetic screen presence has endeared him to a burgeoning generation, particularly the discerning denizens of Gen Z, who find in him a compelling embodiment of contemporary charisma. He is the next generation's idea of that elusive notion of a 'movie star'. A consummate actor of considerable depth, Elordi's recent portrayal in Saltburn, notably as the foppish English aristocrat, stands as a testament to his versatility and undeniable command over his craft. Clad in the classic Bondian tuxedo, Elordi exudes a suave elegance that seamlessly merges with the espionage-laden allure of the role. Speaking of that film, the sheer notion of Saltburn's director, Emerald Fennell, at the helm of a Bond film further excites me hugely. Elordi's recent expression of enthusiasm when confronted with the Bond rumours only reinforces the notion that, in my discerning opinion, he emerges as the quintessential choice to carry the torch of 007 into a new era. He even inadvertently says the iconic line in the below video

61dfa8d8695ac56ff9e805b83204d99f311d7dfd.gifv

VFP7QRXGBA80.png

F_ki7SwbkAAgJmC?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

S7WPR7MMKSYD.png
  • Here's an idea Jensen Ackles. He's the right age at 45. The only down side is he's an American.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,904
    For me, the prospect of Jacob Elordi donning the iconic mantle of James Bond emerges is a tantalising proposition. Elordi's youthfulness injects a vibrant energy into the character, a vital infusion that the venerable franchise could benefit from. His magnetic screen presence has endeared him to a burgeoning generation, particularly the discerning denizens of Gen Z, who find in him a compelling embodiment of contemporary charisma. He is the next generation's idea of that elusive notion of a 'movie star'. A consummate actor of considerable depth, Elordi's recent portrayal in Saltburn, notably as the foppish English aristocrat, stands as a testament to his versatility and undeniable command over his craft. Clad in the classic Bondian tuxedo, Elordi exudes a suave elegance that seamlessly merges with the espionage-laden allure of the role. Speaking of that film, the sheer notion of Saltburn's director, Emerald Fennell, at the helm of a Bond film further excites me hugely. Elordi's recent expression of enthusiasm when confronted with the Bond rumours only reinforces the notion that, in my discerning opinion, he emerges as the quintessential choice to carry the torch of 007 into a new era. He even inadvertently says the iconic line in the below video

61dfa8d8695ac56ff9e805b83204d99f311d7dfd.gifv

VFP7QRXGBA80.png

F_ki7SwbkAAgJmC?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

S7WPR7MMKSYD.png

What did you think of Saltburn in general? I enjoyed Elordi’s performance (very accurate to that kind of back slapping, public school boy type) but I actually thought it was Keoghan who came off as having more Bond potential. Obviously his character in general is quite unBondian and has different aspects to him which come out throughout the film, but there were moments in the latter half when he had a charisma/magnetism (albiet in a very strange way in that film). He tends to play younger loner types, but he’s a good looking guy in real life, and actually has a naturally good physique/physicality (think he’s an ex boxer, and he certainly moves very well which can be seen in a particular scene in this movie). Not sure if he’s the man, nor if Saltburn is the best indicator of Elordi’s potential, but it was interesting watching the film with that at the back of my mind.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,514
    Not a big fan of Elordi for Bond, he looks too young and weirdly I think he's too tall to be Bond at 6'5. I completely understand why Elordi is in the discussion though

I'm not a fan of having an Australian as Bond again, I think there's too much of a cultural difference between England and Australia personally
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Not a big fan of Elordi for Bond, he looks too young and weirdly I think he's too tall to be Bond at 6'5. I completely understand why Elordi is in the discussion though

I'm not a fan of having an Australian as Bond again, I think there's too much of a cultural difference between England and Australia personally

+1
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Well @jetsetwilly, Callum Turner is 6'2". He has a strong voice and a more Fleming look ;)
    Going back to Callum quickly, I thought I'd mention his next two projects, Masters of the Air, which has some episodes directed by Cary Fukunaga, and The Boys in the Boat, which was actually directed by George Clooney.

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,431
    Here's an idea Jensen Ackles. He's the right age at 45. The only down side is he's an American.

They're likely asking for a 10-15 year commitment, and won't want a 60-year-old Bond. I also personally don't see a hint of Bond in him. Just a handsome white American; we can do better.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    I've got my money on Nicholas Ralph.
    And Oliver Jackson-Cohen and Thomas Doherty, also.

Decent choices there.
  • Denbigh wrote: »

He wasn't one of my top choices by the past, but he now seems to be as a very serious contender. First of all because he aged a little bit and seems more mature looking. But also because he seems to be the right age to take over the series and be its face for several years and movies.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    First of all because he aged a little bit and seems more mature looking. But also because he seems to be the right age to take over the series and be its face for several years and movies.
    Yeah 100%. I think as well with the training he’d go through if he did get the role, he would only look more and more suitable. I also feel looks wise he has a bit of previous Bonds about him, like a mix between Brosnan and Moore.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    First of all because he aged a little bit and seems more mature looking. But also because he seems to be the right age to take over the series and be its face for several years and movies.
    Yeah 100%. I think as well with the training he’d go through if he did get the role, he would only look more and more suitable. I also feel looks wise he has a bit of previous Bonds about him, like a mix between Brosnan and Moore.

A mix between Brosnan and Moore but uglier. I don't get the point.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    A mix between Brosnan and Moore but uglier. I don't get the point.
    That's nice, and it was just an observation :)
  • i doubt we are going to hear anything for.at least another 2 years. EON are on sabbatical in Bolivia!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Cillian Murphy has blown me away in Oppenheimer. If he was just slightly younger, I’d be very happy if he were cast as the next Bond.
    Sadly I feel age will be a problem.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Benny wrote: »
    Cillian Murphy has blown me away in Oppenheimer. If he was just slightly younger, I’d be very happy if he were cast as the next Bond.

Not to mention, he is only 5’’ 7”
  • Benny wrote: »

I feel like it's the problem with most of the best candidates here: Turner, Dornan, etc; they all look great today, but will be too old in a few years to carry the series on their shoulders. We shouldn't think of actors as they look today, but how they may look in a few years.
    I've always thought he'd make an interesting bad guy, similar to Kronsteen in FRWL. A genius bad guy rather than just an evil character. Bond would have to outwit him.
    Cillian is a brilliant actor and I hope his performance in Oppenheimer gets the recognition it rightly deserves
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm8208516/?ref_=tt_cl_t_6

Calam lynch anyone he plays cary grant
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited November 2023 Posts: 1,431

Decent choices there.

Agreed, save for maybe Doherty. It's not his fault, but he constantly looks like a model voguing. Not that Craig never pouted, haha.
    Benny wrote: »

Yeah I almost put Murphy on my list a page back but thought it'd be deemed ridiculous. But I do see it.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I've always thought he'd make an interesting bad guy, similar to Kronsteen in FRWL. A genius bad guy rather than just an evil character. Bond would have to outwit him.
    Cillian is a brilliant actor and I hope his performance in Oppenheimer gets the recognition it rightly deserves

Would go for this.

Also I think @Herr_Stockmann is right about Turner likely being in the ideal age group and very capable of easily bulking/aging into the role with some training.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm8208516/?ref_=tt_cl_t_6

I like it. Most of the images on his IMDB/online make him seem young/boyish but if you dig, he has aged up recently and looks more mature. This image seems more recent:
    Screenshot-2023-10-26-at-13.00.21.png
    I could see it. It would be interesting to have an incredibly charming and, can I say soft-faced?-Bond suddenly turn into the blunt instrument I'd like to see would be jarring and probably exciting/surprising. Like Roger bending Maud's arm in TMWTGG.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 3,279
    LucknFate wrote: »

I like it. Most of the images on his IMDB/online make him seem young/boyish but if you dig, he has aged up recently and looks more mature. This image seems more recent:
    Screenshot-2023-10-26-at-13.00.21.png
    I could see it. It would be interesting to have an incredibly charming and, can I say soft-faced?-Bond suddenly turn into the blunt instrument I'd like to see would be jarring and probably exciting/surprising. Like Roger bending Maud's arm in TMWTGG.

This guy has potential. His look reminds me of Lazenby for some reason.